Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem Forever was understaff, got rebooted and its development was downright frozen, its why took forever and it was shit.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
I was pretty skeptical of Star Citizen until the 3.23 update and the massive changes the game is bringing with it. I won't be fully sold on the project until the game starts to show more signs of being an MMO than it currently does. However, the 800+ player server test in Evo was pretty impressive and didn't run poorly at all. Those are the things I'm really focused on.

Now, how many of those 800+ people can the game support in one area? I don't know; that'll be the big question. You cannot have big "fleet battles" if performance deteriorates when 10 or more ships are in the same area.

Anyway, 3.23 in EPTU is an absolute buggy mess, but it's downright impressive to see the new UI changes and features that make it feel more like a modern game with contemporary standards than it was even just a year ago. Hopefully, they'll move away from the "second life in space" shit that some retards want and focus more on what actually matters in the near future.

Honestly though? I don't think Star Citizen has gotten so popular recently because it is actually good, but rather because everything else is just really bad. It has played the ultra-long game and is pulling ahead by virtue of its existence at this point.

Just my two cents. It deserves a lot of the scorn it gets, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
I was pretty skeptical of Star Citizen until the 3.23 update
Anyway, 3.23 in EPTU is an absolute buggy mess

I'm a little confused.

In general, the purpose of EPTU, or PTU, is to squash any critical bugs that would make the game somewhat unplayable for the PU. So it is rife with bugs. That is to be expected. Then again the PU is also always buggy too.

What is impressive to me about 3.23 is the fact that it has introduced things much sooner than I would have expected. This includes quality of life changes, new content, and massive overhauls of existing systems, especially the FPS components and an entire new flight profile for every ship within the game. It has insane balance issues, like the mass drivers being comically overpowered and knocking people around, or the shotguns, but both of those are being fixed.

When you play Star Citizen enough, you get used to the jank, and it starts to come in varying levels of acceptance. This is more acceptable than usual in terms of jank, but it sure as hell is still jank.

Make no mistake SC is still a buggy piece of shit. But it is a slightly more playable buggy piece of shit.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That is to be expected.
Yeah, very early alpha... so I heard.

I'm a little confused.
Maybe its not you.

You're right, it is an early alpha, and because of that, I think it could use some more funding. Are you planning on buying anything next month during Invictus? I'm eyeing up a Javelin; it's actually the last capital ship I don't have!
Are you the PlanetSide Buzz?

Myobi

Liturgist
You're right, it is an early alpha, and because of that, I think it could use some more funding. Are you planning on buying anything next month during Invictus? I'm eyeing up a Javelin; it's actually the last capital ship I don't have!
I only buy Idris.

ADL

Prophet
With over a half a billion dollars you'd think worthless Chris Roberts and his programmers would do it right the first fucking time. No wonder this tech demo is vaporware and beats Duke Nukem Forever on being in development. LOL
Bohemia Interactive has been making the same game (Operation Flashpoint/ARMA) for the past 23 years and they still have trouble doing it given the complexity. What makes you think ARMA in space with higher server capacity and exponentially larger points of interests and NPC density would fare much better?
Imagine getting a loaner ship and waiting 10 years for your jpg to be implemented.
I'd probably be slightly annoyed if I were a Banu Merchantman owner sure, but you know what would annoy me more? Having a ship but not being able to use it functionally beyond flying it and sleeping in it and perhaps storing some weapons/cargo in it. No thanks, I'll take the C2 and Banu Defender in the meantime. That's a badass pairing to enjoy in the meantime.

The small handful of ships that haven't been delivered for 3+ years beyond their concept is so inconsequential it's hardly worth discussing unless you want to nitpick.
Do you have any fucking proof Alex or is this more of your copiuim bullshit?
Given that they intend on soft launching the game in Q4 2025, they'll have more than just Stanton and Pyro. Just a hunch.
I've thrown about 200 hours into ED back in the day, far from fucking perfect I'll tell you that, but a pretty solid game, factions, reputation systems, rankings, bounty hunting, piracy, trading, smuggling, exploration, mining, community goals, aliens, multicrew, a progression system... is it the deepest shit ever? Lol, fuck no.
I quite like the base game and it's definitely worth the five bucks you can find it for on sale. In fact I would recommend people just buy the base game and ignore Odyssey entirely. I don't know what that experience is like today but Odyssey certainly ain't worth >2x the price of base.

That being said, Frontier's biggest problem with Elite is clearly a lack of funding. Perhaps if they sold some $500 ships to finance a base game that would've included space flight+atmospheric flight+space legs from the beginning as base (and ofc removed those ship sales at 1.0) it would've turned out better. Gating those features behind expansions and incentivizing the developer to always be working on "the next big thing" was completely retarded in retrospect.

Star Citizen's doing it right and overpriced ship sales are a small price to pay for it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Bohemia Interactive has been making the same game (ARMA) for the past 23 years and they still have trouble doing it given the complexity.

Invalid comparison logical fallacy since Arma is a released game and Scam Citizen is a poorly functional tech demo. Also, they're up to ARMA Reforger now. That's the eleventh release in the series.

I'd probably be slightly annoyed if I were a Banu Merchantman owner sure, but you know what would annoy me more? Having a ship but not being able to use it functionally beyond flying it and sleeping in it and perhaps storing some weapons and cargo on it. No thanks, I'll take the C2 and Banu Defender in the meantime.

The small handful of ships that haven't been delivered for 3+ years beyond their concept is so inconsequential it's hardly worth discussing unless you want to nitpick.

You're hitting the copium hard there. Is it being dispensed by Chris through his thermal exhaust port?

Given that they intend on soft launching the game in Q4 2025, they'll have more than just Stanton and Pyro. Just a hunch.

They said they were launching the game 10 years ago in 2014 and kept saying they were releasing it every year since then. I don't see them launching this tech demo into beta anytime soon.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Slap a v1.0 on Star Citizen and it's the same shit. Semantics. Arma and Star Citizen have the same exact problems.

You are either drunk or stupid with this fallacy. Which is it Alex? Did I hurt your fee-fees again over this shit tech demo that's been fleecing customers for over a decade now? Are you going to cry harder Alex? I love your tears because they're delicious.

Oh you have white stuff on your lips. You might want to wipe Chris's seed off it.

Myobi

Liturgist
I quite like the base game and it's definitely worth the five bucks you can find it for on sale. In fact I would recommend people just buy the base game and ignore Odyssey entirely. I don't know what that experience is like today but Odyssey certainly ain't worth >2x the price of base.

That being said, Frontier's biggest problem with Elite is clearly a lack of funding. Perhaps if they sold some $500 ships to finance a base game that would've included space flight+atmospheric flight+space legs from the beginning as base (and ofc removed those ship sales at 1.0) it would've turned out better. Gating those features behind expansions and incentivizing the developer to always be working on "the next big thing" was completely retarded in retrospect.

Star Citizen's doing it right and overpriced ship sales are a small price to pay for it.

I quit shortly after the DLC, it was shit, full of problems, bad performance, crashes, bugs... it deserved the shit it got for it. Is it better nowadays? No fucking clue, haven't tried it in ages.

Star Citizen is selling you $50,000 space ships packs, sitting on more funding than Cyberpunk, RDR2 and GTA V combined, over a decade of development and its giving an even messier and unfinished experience, while retards like you convince yourselves that it WILL all work out upon "release".

You are a naïve idiot high on Chris Roberts farts, and just the fact that you believe they are going to remove those ship sales at 1.0 says enough.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
What's the progress on this, I've seen a few screenshots/videos of people walking around in a space station or something...can you fly around?, visit other planets, space stations, capital ships?, any dialogue, or story?, can you look at your $50k pre ordered ships?

ADL

Prophet
What's the progress on this, I've seen a few screenshots/videos of people walking around in a space station or something...can you fly around?, visit other planets, can you look at your $50k pre ordered ships?
Yes, yes, yes assuming it's one of the 140+ ships in the game already.

capital ships?, any dialogue, or story?
there's one called the 890J implemented in the game but it's a touring vessel, no, no
and that's to be expected, this is the sandbox that takes place after the events of Squadron 42's campaign.

Myobi

Liturgist
What's the progress on this, I've seen a few screenshots/videos of people walking around in a space station or something...can you fly around?, visit other planets, space stations, capital ships?, any dialogue, or story?, can you look at your $50k pre ordered ships?

Word of advice, wait on a Free Flight event and see it for yourself.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
I only buy Idris.

I don't believe that for a second! Idris-M or Idris-P?

I would suggest waiting until 3.23 to try it out. And if you ever decide to make a purchase, stick to the starter Aurora package, which is about $40. You can easily get $40 worth of fun out of the game in its current state. As a backer, I can tell you that the game isn't worth more than $40, and nobody should ever spend more than that unless they truly want to. And even then, it's probably not worth it.

But, as others have advised, just wait for the free flight. The game may not even run on your PC, so it's not worth the risk.

After 15 years and 700 million USD the word "impressive" loses its meaning.

I only started playing a few years ago, and I'm very impressed with what I've seen. Of course, being impressed is subjective, I suppose. Now, if they can pull it all off, I will be genuinely surprised.

That is to be expected.
Yeah, very early alpha... so I heard.

I'm a little confused.
Maybe its not you.

Are you the PlanetSide Buzz?

Yes, I actually posted here about PlanetSide 2 over 10 years ago.

Anyway, Star Citizen is a pretty easy target. And, as I've said before, it deserves a lot of the scorn it gets. But I have been able to enjoy the game for the last three years and get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. I would never suggest anyone buy anything more than the $40 package. Now, if it ever gets the true MMO part down, and it looks like they might, I would recommend it with confidence. But until then? Wait for free flight.

The new AI in 3.23 EPTU for ship combat is pretty good too. I know in Evo test it was considered "too hard," and I was sad to see it slightly nerfed since. I'm sure it'll degrade once it gets out onto the live servers that don't have meshing yet. Really, a lot of everything for this game hinges on meshing.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
What sort of dumb fucking question is that?! Both ofc, my little girl might be crying now that she won't go to the university anymore, but bitch will understand that sacrifices need to be made to achieve the best space game in the world and surroundings.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
What sort of dumb fucking question is that?! Both ofc, my little girl might be crying now that she won't go to the university anymore, but bitch will understand that sacrifices need to be made to achieve the best space game in the world and surroundings.

How foolish of me. I am sorry. Just let her fire the size 10 rail gun from the Idris-M and she will not even worry about that education or her future.

Myobi

Liturgist

How foolish of me. I am sorry. Just let her fire the size 10 rail gun from the Idris-M and she will not even worry about that education or her future.
If she's still alive by the time they release it, I'll think about it.

Perkel

Arcane
Did some playing over the weekend with 3.22 patch and pretty much everything is broken lol.

Pickup missions either don't spawn stuff for minutes before it decides to do, small/medium mining is so laggy that you can make a tea before stone breaks sometimes, crystals you pick up can't be sold in bulk but only one at the time due to bug with transactions, half of the time ship doesn't spawn correctly when you retrieve it from terminal, did same missions to find people and ofcourse bugs in caves aren't fixed as i died to.... wait for it... walking near the cave wall.

So after that 5 runs where stuff broke i decided to torture myself some more and see how that new physical inventory and components work out. Spent like 30 minutes looting guns, shield components etc. out of abandoned ships. Trust me putting Size 3 gun into 100i is something to be proud off i fully expected for my ship to blow up due to physics bugs and it .... didn't blow up, in fact physics seems to be massively improved even if it lags due to poor server performance.

In fact i could stack the shit out of stuff and it would often stay where i lied it. But if you think this was the moment where I say whoa SC works finally ! I got to place to sell them and i couldn't. Turns out that default gear on player ships are unsellable because insurance and fraud (people were calling their ships, sell components destroy them and they call them again). So worthless but at least there is a way to put them in your ship IF THEY FUCKING MATTERED in first place because almost all components and weapons have barely any difference betweeen them. 2 years ago they went into "rebalancing" so they wanted to start with everything being the same and then work out differences in coming patches. 2 years later everything is still the same, only size matters which is something that comes with ship and can't be customizable.

Overall 3.22 is probably one of the worst patches since I started following SC. I started testing it in 3.9 when you could finally earn money and buy stuff and nothing was errased every patch. 3.22 feels pretty much like 3.9 stuff is just broken all the time and you can't get even single hour of normal gameplay out of it. The only difference is that 3.9 crashed every hour and 3.22 doesn't crash almost at all and 3.22 has crash recovery so when it crashes your ship and inventory is retrieved and you just wake up in last space station.

So after spending 3 minutes hammering satelite with guns that should go out in 5 seconds because server lag was so high, literally in minutes i alt-f4 this garbage and went back to playing X4.

Anyone who says this is playable at current state is nuts.

I usually test patches every time it releases and 3.12 i think was the most stable and you could play for hours without a bug (though at the time you still had frequent crashes which means lost progress on whatever you were doing).

And it is a fucking shame. Because when it works bug free like in that 3.12 there is good game under all of that junk.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
Did some playing over the weekend with 3.22 patch and pretty much everything is broken lol.

Pickup missions either don't spawn stuff for minutes before it decides to do, small/medium mining is so laggy that you can make a tea before stone breaks sometimes, crystals you pick up can't be sold in bulk but only one at the time due to bug with transactions, half of the time ship doesn't spawn correctly when you retrieve it from terminal, did same missions to find people and ofcourse bugs in caves aren't fixed as i died to.... wait for it... walking near the cave wall.

So after that 5 runs where stuff broke i decided to torture myself some more and see how that new physical inventory and components work out. Spent like 30 minutes looting guns, shield components etc. out of abandoned ships. Trust me putting Size 3 gun into 100i is something to be proud off i fully expected for my ship to blow up due to physics bugs and it .... didn't blow up, in fact physics seems to be massively improved even if it lags due to poor server performance.

In fact i could stack the shit out of stuff and it would often stay where i lied it. But if you think this was the moment where I say whoa SC works finally ! I got to place to sell them and i couldn't. Turns out that default gear on player ships are unsellable because insurance and fraud (people were calling their ships, sell components destroy them and they call them again). So worthless but at least there is a way to put them in your ship IF THEY FUCKING MATTERED in first place because almost all components and weapons have barely any difference betweeen them. 2 years ago they went into "rebalancing" so they wanted to start with everything being the same and then work out differences in coming patches. 2 years later everything is still the same, only size matters which is something that comes with ship and can't be customizable.

Overall 3.22 is probably one of the worst patches since I started following SC. I started testing it in 3.9 when you could finally earn money and buy stuff and nothing was errased every patch. 3.22 feels pretty much like 3.9 stuff is just broken all the time and you can't get even single hour of normal gameplay out of it. The only difference is that 3.9 crashed every hour and 3.22 doesn't crash almost at all and 3.22 has crash recovery so when it crashes your ship and inventory is retrieved and you just wake up in last space station.

So after spending 3 minutes hammering satelite with guns that should go out in 5 seconds because server lag was so high, literally in minutes i alt-f4 this garbage and went back to playing X4.

Anyone who says this is playable at current state is nuts.

I usually test patches every time it releases and 3.12 i think was the most stable and you could play for hours without a bug (though at the time you still had frequent crashes which means lost progress on whatever you were doing).

And it is a fucking shame. Because when it works bug free like in that 3.12 there is good game under all of that junk.

Everything post 3.18 has been a disaster. 3.17 was the smoothest for me. I have not touched 3.18+ in about 6 months now and instead live in Arena Commander doing PvP. I did all my overdrive stuff though so I can spend more money next month!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom