Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

The roster in this game, which is the biggest roster any Street Fighter game has had out of the gate outside of Capcom vs SNK, also can’t really be compared to something like Tekken. One game is making completely new characters from the ground up. The other is new models on top of stuff that goes back to the ‘90s. I’m not even saying that’s bad, but it is why Tekken can put so many characters in a game.
Except they've made everything from scratch for T8 and it will still probably launch with 30+ chars. Not to mention every Tekken char is worth like 10 SF chars in terms of movesets.

They haven’t, you can already see shared animations in the footage they’ve shown.

There’s new models and stuff. And there are new attacks too, (unless Nina’s new gun attacks come from Death by Degrees or something) but they sure as shit aren’t making everything from scratch for Tekken 8.

And like I said, I’m pretty sure a lot of animations they use are from AKI’s giant pool of animations from their wrestling games. Or at least some shared pool owned by someone. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of grapple attacks come from some library of moves AKI owns. Tekken also shares attack animations with Soulcalibur.

Arthandas

Prophet
I won't argue whether those animations are reused or made from scratch because:
a) I don't know, I'm not a dev or an animator
b) I don't care

But I'm not buying the argument that animations are reused just because they look the same. They're animating the same moves so obviously they look the same. The animations must be frame perfect since everything in fighting games is tied to a 60 fps logic and mechanics so even if they're indeed rebuilding them from scratch the differences would be unnoticeable.
They're probably using the old data as a base to rebuilt and update them where necessary. Don't quote me on this but I think he said in one of the interviews that one of the reasons they're making everything from scratch is the fact there were some UE5 incompatibilities preventing them from reusing stuff.

To me the argument is just stupid, because at a certain level the move inputs kind of stop being a problem. For the most part anyways. If the move inputs don't matter to experienced players, and they can stop (some) new players from really getting into the game to begin with, then what's really even the point of them when alternatives that work just as well are out there?

what the fuck did I just read, when have you ever played a tournament? Of course it fucking matters, getting your shoryu on frame 3 instead of frame 7 can make the difference between top 8 or going home.

I'm tilted
This is the guy who said Multiversus was going to be YUGE, that SFZ3 Upper was the definitive version of Alpha 3 because of Survival Mode, and that the reason why FGs aren't more popular is because of muh difficult inputs. Back-to-back utterly wrong opinions, doesn't get tired of being the local punching bag. I miss Generic Giant Spider.

Hey, so this Street Fighter game with a control schematic that allows for simple inputs of Supers and Specials also happens to have a all-time peak player count on Steam that’s 5 times the peak of Street Fighter 5.

The peak at this moment is 70,573. Other than the first two months of the MultiVersus beta, (or if you count stuff like For Honor as a fighting game) it’s the most played fighting game on Steam by a pretty wide margin. Hell, right now it’s got 47,484 people playing it, which is higher than the All-Time Peak of Dragon Ball FighterZ, Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7, and Brawlhalla.

Hotly anticipated sequel with great visuals, buzz and is a competent game on top has nothing to do with it, I'm sure - I'm sure it's all muh simplified inputs.

Check back in 2 years and see the figures, champ. You're jizzing too early

Arthandas

Prophet
Hell, right now it’s got 47,484 people playing it, which is higher than the All-Time Peak of Dragon Ball FighterZ, Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7, and Brawlhalla.
Not to rain on your parade, 70k is a massive number for a FG but you're comparing it to games released 4-6 years ago, games which had more players than SFV.
If we go by the numbers of the previous generation of FGs, If Woke Fighter has 70k, T8 will probably peak around 90k and MK1 around 140-150k...

SF is always being proclaimed as the savior of FGC, as THE fighting game, but the truth is, it's not even in top 3 as far as FG popularity goes. Numbers don't lie:

Untitled.png

That 70k players is great news... for Tekken and MK xD

Last edited:
Hell, right now it’s got 47,484 people playing it, which is higher than the All-Time Peak of Dragon Ball FighterZ, Mortal Kombat 11, Tekken 7, and Brawlhalla.
Not to rain on your parade, 70k is a massive number for a FG but you're comparing it to games released 4-6 years ago, games which had more players than SFV.
If we go by the numbers of the previous generation of FGs, If Woke Fighter has 70k, T8 will probably peak around 90k and MK1 around 140-150k...

SF is always being proclaimed as the savior of FGC, as THE fighting game, but the truth is, it's not even in top 3 as far as FG popularity goes. Numbers don't lie:

Untitled.png

That 70k players is great news... for Tekken and MK xD
Street Fighter saved and revitilized the FGC with the release of Street Fighter IV, it breathed new life into the FGC and while many other fighters were played around that time, never did it bring as much hype and people towards the scene as IV did. Others, followed suit. When the FGC proclaims that SF carries the FGC, they literally mean it as even when SFV failed with the casual audience pros still played and were able sustain it. Of course, Tekken 7 had a bigger competitive scene than SFV since it was a failure in retaining players. Mortal Kombat has more cultural power in the Americas, it will sell more than SFVI and Tekken 8, and many casuals will love it, in about a year and a half- probably two, it's competitive scene will be naught but dead and many of it's casual fans will have moved on since the series has never been known for it's depth or hype, but games like SFVI and Tekken 8 will still maintain their momentum in the competitive scene and in the casual interest of viewers.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grabbed this on a whim when I heard about Cammy's booty modern control scheme, the last fighting game I played seriously was Guilty Gear X2 so I'm completely out of the loop on the genre these days, but this thing feels really slick and intuitive. The World Tour mode feels like a Yakuza lite game, NPCs and dialogue writing obviously aren't as good but the general gameplay loop of roaming, fighting random people, doing side quests is enjoyable enough. It feels like a big tutorial, some minigames like pizza making and shattering bottles teach directional and combo input, the board breaking one teaches aerial, the basketball one teaches parrying and general action timing like counter. There's a tad too many enemies on the street but luckily there's a skill that de-aggro lower level schmucks that can be earned relatively early.

I played MKX and 11 briefly and while both had pretty decent basic and character tutorials, I never felt like I was able to keep all of those knowledge in mind and unleash them in practice. This game is very structurally competent, it flows really well from basic to intermediate to advanced, each tutorial beat me in the head a few times before moving onto the next techniques. I'm still not pulling off drive reversal very well, but overall the game doesn't feel overloaded with mechanics and is super easy to understand. Drive impact and parry are on 1 button, enhanced attacks activate by holding RT, I totally suck ass at analog stick direction string so holding RT and spamming A B X to auto complete basic combos helps a lot for my monke brain. At that point I only need to care about aerial attack, defense, timing and grab. Basically struggling with the basics but at least I can fight properly.

I tried a few multiplayer matches and surprisingly enough I won in half of them using Marisa's unga bunga punch first think later style. For Ranked, I chose the lowest skill bracket and had really good fights on par with my skill. Battle Hub matches are kind of a mix bag though I like the hub itself. Connection is very good, I'm on wifi and even 3 bars matches don't have any notable delay at all.

Frankly, I don't care if I'm dropping the game in 1 or 2 months, or when it gets battle pass mtx bs, who cares, it's a blast now and I just feel like it's worth getting gud in it. Though I can't shake off the feeling that World Tour is an experiment for a game taking place in a condensed open world on RE engine in the future. Performance on Steam Deck could have been better but it's good nonetheless.

Last edited:

jaekl

Learned
Patron
I decided to give the demo quick look since I’ve been playing Street Fighter 2: Turbo since I was 10 years old or so. Now, for me playing a fighting game is gay if you can’t attempt to knock the controller out of your opponents’ hand when you start losing. So, online fights and electronic sports are the same thing as a pride parade as far as I’m concerned. Perhaps if you’re into that kind of thing, this would be good to you, or at least bearable.

Regardless, the game is so corporate that it makes my skin crawl.

Just watching the single player intro video was enough for me to decide not to buy the game. It would be less embarrassing to be raped in front of your wife than to watch the SF6 intro in front of her. Next, you’re greeted by a character creator. For fuck sakes, why? Oh right, internet comedians will post thousands of videos where they guffaw as they put half of the sliders at maximum and the other half at minimum. Since no one ever seems to get tired of this classic bit, it translates to free ads for these corporate cocksuckers. Now the game has made you laugh! You’ve had a good first impression! Engagement achieved. It’s a salesman’s manipulation.

You’re then released into the city to pick fights with the NPCs previously made famous in Sonic ’06. You gain experience points so that you can be rewarded with *BING! LEVEL UP* at regular enough intervals to keep a fool stimulated. You also have an iPhone to dick around on, because young people love phones and we’re appealing to the youth. I quit; I’d rather play marco polo in a septic tank than a Streetfighter-themed knockoff of an Ubisoft game.

Cartoon graphics obviously didn’t focus test well with teenage boys who get emotionally invested in internet competitions. Because of that, they’ve stapled human flesh to the cartoonishly proportioned characters to create the sorts of terrifying abominations that you’d see in Berzerk if it was set in Los Angeles. When they start talking to each other, I swing wildly between confused disbelief at the retarded dialogue and a primal anxiety when their creepy faces attempt to contort into a sick approximation of human expression.

As for the fights, they’ve added dorky commentators who can only state the obvious and never shut the fuck up. I’m guessing this is because real sports have announcer commentary, and they want “ESPORTS” to take off so that they can sell ad space to energy drink companies at their ridiculous events. Not that you’d be able to see a fight take place if you wanted to, because the screen is constantly obscured by colorful, flashing visual effects. Overlay a video of a fireworks display on top of Streetfighter 2 and then dump a bunch of orange paint on top of that and you’ll get Streetfighter 6.

Nathir

Liturgist
Well after 1 week I finally had the first player ragequit on me. And then the next match was a rageuitter aswell, so 2 in a row. Hmm...

Caim

Arcane

I don't get it. Someone please explain.

Street Fighter 6 has a new character called Manon (not the one in the foreground, that's Cammy). Manon has a special mechanic called Medals, which is a value that goes up by performing special throwing moves. These moves become more powerful the more Medals she has. The stand-in for Manon in this clip has four out of the maximum of five medals, meaning that the throws will do a lot of damage, so Manon will want to get close to you to perform those throws.

The guy in question is Mairoquai, a singer whose song Virtual Insanity recently became a big meme, especially the part where he is in that pose and ominously moves towards the viewer. This has been memed into him trying to grab something or someone, which fits with Manon's fighting style.

Arthandas

Prophet
Despite my initial reservations I got the game and I'm very happy with it. From a pure gameplay perspective it's really great.
Still, Eternity should be hanged, the commentary feature is hilariously bad and World Tour/Battle Hub optimization is broken...

My biggest problem with the game so far is that I really hate the new characters. I hate fighting against them too. Doesn't help that Manon is completely busted and you fight a lot of them at Diamond +.

Last edited:

hajro

Arbiter
Are they tho? Manon and Luke yes but the rest seems fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom