Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

AndrewCC

Educated
Finished the game, it was pretty good, the recreation of 1905 Warsaw was (I imagine) very good, very atmospheric, the ending might have required more time in the oven, with some of the choices I made, I got a very anti-climatic ending at first, it's a bit obscure what the game wants you to do to get each ending.
Apparently if you side with Rasputin, you also need to go all in on Pride, or else he'll betray you. I ended up also doing the Coterie ending, but with only 3 people in it, Jew-mage got killed by a mob he could not defend himself against because I screwed him out of a Golem familiar.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lord_Potato Your great grandpa?

n.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I finished the game, quite possibly the most Polish thing I've ever touched aside from RPG Codex, AMA.

Harthwain

Magister
Still waiting for the Polish dubbing for more immersive playthrough. I'm curious when they manage to deliver it.
Was this something they promised to do? It seems to make a little sense to create a whole new set of voices and subtitles for a niche language, unless the game is popular enough in Poland.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Still waiting for the Polish dubbing for more immersive playthrough. I'm curious when they manage to deliver it.
Was this something they promised to do? It seems to make a little sense to create a whole new set of voices and subtitles for a niche language, unless the game is popular enough in Poland.
Yes, they recently promise to add the Polish dubbing.

https://www.gram.pl/news/the-thauma...lski-dubbing-tworcy-potwierdzaja-dobre-wiesci

Most likely the game sold well enough to warrant the expense.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
KCD got a Czech dub years later

Baron Dupek

Arcane

https://www.gram.pl/news/the-thauma...lski-dubbing-tworcy-potwierdzaja-dobre-wiesci

Gram?
Why is that site still up? It's a ghost town! Forum is covered in dust and seems like a lot of threads are just broken by nonfunctioning forum base (scripts?).
Last time I was there buying Divinity OS1 vanilla and it was already barren...

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Gram?
Why is that site still up? It's a ghost town! Forum is covered in dust and seems like a lot of threads are just broken by nonfunctioning forum base (scripts?).
Last time I was there buying Divinity OS1 vanilla and it was already barren...
it's a government agenda now

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finished the game, quite possibly the most Polish thing I've ever touched aside from RPG Codex, AMA.

Is it good?

No. It's tolerable.
Yep, but it felt much more like an adventure game to me, than an RPG.

Here is my review, if curious: https://tomsgaming.com/2024/04/03/the-thaumaturge-rasputin-forever/

I found it very verbose, and the gameplay lacking, as in everything is presented to you without requiring your input.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Here is my review, if curious: https://tomsgaming.com/2024/04/03/the-thaumaturge-rasputin-forever/

I found it very verbose, and the gameplay lacking, as in everything is presented to you.

I'll check out your article in a bit, but definitely agree on the verbosity part. And it wasn't just the verbosity, the whole writing style had a very uncanny-valley thing going for it, although it was presented differently in dialogue versus documents and notes.

Also, don't know if you chose the same ending as I did, but definitely Ra-Ra-Rasputin forever. :P I actually had a pretty good time with the ending.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I found it very verbose, and the gameplay lacking, as in everything is presented to you.

I'll check out your article in a bit, but definitely agree on the verbosity part. And it wasn't just the verbosity, the whole writing style had a very uncanny-valley thing going for it, although it was presented differently in dialogue versus documents and notes.

Also, don't know if you chose the same ending as I did, but definitely Ra-Ra-Rasputin forever. :P I actually had a pretty good time with the ending.

I got a horrible ending because I didn't have the points to make the last check. But I definitely went Ra-Ra-Rasputin forever until that point :)

Harthwain

Magister
I'd argue that adventure game elements and first person perspective are a good fit for an RPG (think of Quest for Glory in first-person perspective). By adventure game elements I mean interactions (because that's pretty much what adventure games are all about). If you could make free-form interaction a thing and tie it up to character's stats, you'd have a great base to build on.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I got a horrible ending because I didn't have the points to make the last check. But I definitely went Ra-Ra-Rasputin forever until that point :)
You make the ending determination mechanism sound interesting. Could you elaborate on how it works?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
You make the ending determination mechanism sound interesting. Could you elaborate on how it works?
It's basically a couple of hard skill checks and I spread out my talent points too much to make it. Which meant I got the bad ending, with no way out of it. I also ditched a few sidequests since I was bored. That might have saved me, XP-wise.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Alienman I read your review.
Yeah, basically agree with every single point you've made, and I do think you hit the nail on the head particularly with how you're supposed to be a collector, a supernatural prodigy, but in the end, you just feel like Wiktor is watching a movie. There is a double disconnect between player->character->setting. The game is much more about Poland than thaumaturgy and it feels so forced at every turn. I don't know how they managed to do it, but it's obvious Wiktor doesn't care about the political events, but the game keeps entangling him with them. I think there was a bit near the end where he says something like "I had a Polish father and a Russian mother, but I still don't know what I am".

One thing that needs to be mentioned is just how nonsensical characters in this game are. You already mentioned the over-the-top accents, but the things they say and the way dialogue flows is... beyond bizarre. It's like someone had VAs voice their script and then edited out every other line. You can even notice weird skips mid-dialogue.
That being said, I did like two of the characters: Abaurycy and Rasputin. They were good enough to just want to see more of them.

Some of the sidequest scenarios were also interesting (but not always presented objectively), e.g. There was a quest about solving a dispute between a German employer who fired a bunch of local workers. You find out the workers are literally getting drunk on the job (very Slavic thing to do), while their employer is just trying to save money because he's getting heavily in debt.

And then there's some content that's best not talked about (the feminist secret university, Wiktor's sister constantly pretending she's a victim etc.).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As for the ending, yeah, there will be checks you have to pass. Don't feel too bad about not having all the points, I think I basically did every single sidequest aside from finding all the tailor magazines, and I still wasn't maxed out - thankfully still had enough to pass all the ending checks.

I did feel a very heavy bias from the game side towards NOT siding with Rasputin, even to the last quest where you have to get all his assistants to fuck off. I actually reloaded and replayed that section because I was so sure the game was bugged and thought I'd made the choice not to side with him.

Oh also, really cool events at the end with Rasputin setting up the Last Meal and alluding that he's Jesus, even though they were followed by some nonsense about being judged by the ghost of Wiktor's father. The game feels like it suffers from multiple writers syndrome all too often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom