Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toying with buying Scallwag or mines of morgorth(nosale)

is Mines of morgoth and Scallwag overpriced?

• Scallway and mines of morgorth are overpiced!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scallway and mines of morgorth are NOT overpiced!

• Scallywag is overpriced, Mo-M is not

• M-oM is overpriced SCallywag is not

• Total voters

foxfire29

Novice
Well actually mainly mines of morgorth, It looks ok, however has anyone actually played it? I have played a few roguelikes but I am no veteran, that said I did ascend nethack.

I am looking for a roguelike with a more immersive world or failing that with as much content as nethack.

What worrys me with mines of mogorth is there are only 20 lvls and even if the programmer did put alot of work in well I am doing price comparisons with lots of games, indie and otherwise and unless mines of morgorth is epic I am not sure if the price tag is justified?

I could potentially let this money burn a hole in my pocket though and I dont even mind if its a quality piece of work that suroasses its free counterparts but I really need some honest opinions from you folks.

Btw I have pretty much tried all mainstream rls but if anyone knows of one like ADOM with the same or bigger world map plus is like nehack mixed with adom in the dungeons then feel free to say :)

Ok so a friend of mine just bought scallaywag, I was up at his house and just had a quick blast of it, now heres the thing I saw the odd person saying it was a good game , well to be honest my view of the start game is that it is terrible and it looks old school yes but that even in the golden days that it would be a budget bin title. I do not like the few lvls I tried, the controls are cumbersome, however has anyone played it for a decent length of time? Its just the game seems to me like it lacks substance and if it only improves in mob strength as the lvls go down I would have to say that in my view if this were the case the game price is a rip off. (I want to know if it is the case) Also one opinion I wont except is that modding the game will make it better because that excuse gets used from big publishers all the time and for people to spend thei precious time modding there has to be a good base game else all that will happen is in a few weeks maybe 2 to 3 people who feel some loyalty to the community will try to mod while the game slowly dies, so please if I have missed a major part of this game say as I always give games a chance and hence my mind is not made up on scallywag, this is only extreme first impressions

I am looking for a game to really get my teeth into that is roguelike in nature, not expensive and fun

N.B Not an rpg rather an RTS but I am toying with the idea of buying mines of morgorth o instead buying the earth 2150 and 2160 rts games instead? Are the earth rts games fun? I really dont want to spend any cash until I have some feedback from some real gamers as cant trust some reviewers these days :)

Thanks

Big Nose George

Educated
You are asking the wrong question.
Overpriced makes sense in a competitive enviroment. Roguelikes, different ones, working, are free and many. That money is a "tangible" thank you to the developer.

foxfire29

Novice
I do realise that and I have supported many many indie developers with cash and it hasnt been the first time I have sent money to people who have helped me by discussing a small code exert in one of my own developments.

I am merely just trying to get feedback as to what makes scallywag good? Since if someone is offering a product then surely it should have some degree of quality to it, therefore I am just asking ordinary gamers not affiliated with the devlopment teams in any way what makes these retail products worth buying? What good points do they have? I assume if the lack of responses continue that means that not many people have bought these titles?

I will wait another hour or so and if no feedback I may buy mines of morgorth but one things for sure(Now please correct me on this if you think I am wrong) the start game on scallywag is so bad, I cant see how that price is justified, unless the end game is a complete turn around. Im all for thanking developers and being a coder myself I know the difficulties however if you go retail then I dont by it that we should someonehow not judge them by low end budget standards and if they even reach that I would class them as great (Thats my citeria which I think is a hell of alot fairer than what I would judge other games)

So with respect I dont think asking the right question should be implied just because its one programmer we insult their intelligence and say they have produced some epic product, get lots of other poor sods to waste their money on it.

I think thank you to the developers should be done on a donation basis not on a retail basis, thatas crazy and would only lead to consumer exploitation in the future. Further more honest feedback I hope will get the guy to continue his/her development until the game is better than alpha state(Im being fair even saying this and note I am only referring to scallywag, mines of morgorth is at least aiming to be fun to play)

Note if enough people can honestly state the end /medium game of scallywag is much better I will go out and buy the thing right now so I am not trying to spread hate here but sincethe likes of mount & blade , world of goo made it big in my eyes there seems to be some subpar stuff getting fired out now which in the past would have had public beta testing or would have been kept in development at least until it was a tad more polished.

As an analagoy, if the start game is more or less how the game is give or take some mino stuff and is worth the hefty scallwag pricetag then the free prospector game should go retail and be priced at £35.00 GPB - If we let quality go on the basis of idea that its some poor single developer then we risk making RLs into a premium passtime. (Dont mistake me though If an RL exudes quality and originality it is fine to buy, as an example unreal world bought stuff to the table that was original and I purchased......as well as hundreds of pounds spent on like indie games where the developers put the work into to get their games to retail standard)

I have done alot of comparisons with other indie games plus quality and yes I am quite fanatical about my games :) - I will 100% update my opinion if it warrants it but as it stands ; my stance is that nethack falcons eye is far more polished than scallwag and more fun(and thats even though RLs are sometimes beest as ascii)

Small edit:

Damn choice choices! I am now considering buying both betrayal of krondors, I have never played those , are they good?

Here is my last entry in this post:

I decided not to buy either mines of morgorth , nor scallywag because basically for well under their INDIVIDUAL prices I was able to buy the following games:

Outcast
Betrayal at Krondor
Return to Krondor
Beyond Divinity

Sorry this in hindsite makes me take even more issue with the pricing as its not reasonable, I know people may take it as me trolling but I give my word this is my last post on this topic outiwth any replies that warrant a response but youve got to look at the fact I am just speaking the truth, that said I will probably buy Morgorth one day but cant see me touching the other one.

Also huge thanks , I havent used cog before and its thanks to someone who posted recently on these forums that I decided to try them. I also am happy with their download policy

foxfire29

Novice
no worries mytgroo, while I say huge thanks for your feedback as it stands I (THANK GOODNESS) did manage to play scallywag and I also thought it was some sub par hobbyist developer project sold at a greater price than some of the classic and renowned rpgs of all time.

Because of this I get the impression I didnt get of to a good start maybe ? However I would rather be honest and save someone wasting their money.

The above said there was one thing I could not clarify and that is mid to end game , therefore I had hoped to get lots of positive scallywag reviews about how it gets better after 12 hours grinding or something. (If this was the case I would have bought)

Your response makes me even more suspect of the responses I found on various scallywag sites saying the game was something special.

The fact is I can totally stomach ascii graphics, its 100% about gameplay for me and the gameplay just was not there. I would have risked buying it based on the 2 reviews I saw on affiliated sites but then when no one seems to have played it on codex I am not prepared to rrisk it,

I am also harsh because this game is more expensive than lots of main stream publisher world beater renowned games which is in my view laughable and taking the mince out of the general customer

Sorry if people dont like that :( I can be forgiving but what you have just stated has strengthened my fears. Thanks for the honest feedback all the same :)

Update!

mytgroo,

You didnt go out and buy te game as a result of thsi thread did you? I hope not :(

I would rather my threads encouraged people to buy enjoyable game if any at all

foxfire29

Novice
The problem is you pre-teens need a flaming interpreter when you have to read more than two sentences. Not my problem, if you or anyone else don't like what I have to say then why not just stay out of the thread? I believe you do it simply because you enjoy turning threads into childish rants.

In short take your moans somewhere else, my threads are aimed at people who enjoy reading articles/reviews and long forum posts pertaining to RPGs.

I totally dont get the mentality of people like yourself, just make your own threads and stick with the posters you dont find offensive or is it the case you find everything offensive? If so go to another thread please because I am not interested in the least what you think of my writing style.

This is a bloody forum not a place to write whitepapers for goodness sake! If you want to prove some misguided form of literacy based manliness go to bloody University and get some whitepapers published or somesuch.

IN SHORT STOP BLOODY BEING SO CHILDISH! STOP DERAILING MY TOPICS!

Everything stated in my topics were intended to be shared, to ignite proper factual discussion on the pros and cons of certain titles .

Considering I have already requested numerous times that my threads are kept on topic, that this is never adhered to by a minority, I bring into question the reading ability of those responsible. (However at the same time I would state that this is an RPG forum so please only talk about RPGS! and related stuff, HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY THIS BEFORE IT GETS THROUGH PEOPLES THICK HEADS)

Further more if I want to come on these forums after being out for a few beers and speak to people about any old stuff to do with RPGS , I reserve the right to do so. (I will stay within the rules and I really wish Administration was left to the ADMINS, in my view users acting as Admins is the number one cause of hassle on any forum)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom