Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Lokiamis

Learned
Here's a sample of writing you'll see in the first 2 minutes of the game.

ds.png

Harthwain

Magister
I see someone is a big fan of Scarlett Johansson/Black Widow. They really should cut off some of the text though.

Here is my take:
Kaylee: You got yourself in a nasty accident over here. Are you all right?

John Doe: Everything is blurry. I... don't remember much.

Kaylee: We need to get off this bridge ASAP! The zombies are coming. Follow me!
Later you can explain she helped you, because having extra hands to fight the zombies (and do other stuff) is useful or something like that. Otherwise her behavior doesn't make much sense.

And that's just me cutting off the fat and leaving the original dialogue intact. The golden rule of writing is: keep it short and to the point.

Also, the summary is a mess format-wise:

• Text is too bunched together, making it feel like a wall of text. I suggest adding some more spacing both between the lines and between the words.
  • Text is not aligned (justified) for some reason. It looks horrible, especially on something that's supposed to be an official document (it's fine for the "written notes" style, by the way).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that standard for niche indie RPG Devs is to use Body Type/Third Gender: Space Wreck, Encased, Urban Strife etc, and all BIGGER&BIG CUCKS in industry are giving pronoun selection: Solasta, Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield is fucking insane. WHAT THE FUCK IS IN THE WATER?
Wow you really did earn both of those dumbfuck tags huh
*rolleyez* *55COVIDboosterslater* *takestrannycockoutofmouth* AGH! You guyz and your silly invisible culture wars! Can't you just be NORMAL person, and I'dunno, just consooom?!
game2021-06-1217-41-0xak8p.png

Acrux

Arcane
This is still the old demo, right? The updated one will be available in a few days.

They got a lot of feedback on the awkward writing before. Maybe it will be updated in the new one.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Doesn't matter what you like, you are a shit eater. Your standards are well known around here and your question was retarded. This game is advertised as the spiritual successor to JA2. Therefore writing is not the focus, nor has bad writing ever been an obstacle for you.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Does it force you to actually read or can you just skip past everything and not lose much?

If a game forces you to actually read the text and it sounds like it was written by a dog or a zoomer, that's a hard pass.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't matter what you like, you are a shit eater. Your standards are well known around here and your question was retarded. This game is advertised as the spiritual successor to JA2. Therefore writing is not the focus, nor has bad writing ever been an obstacle for you.
Ehm, the writing is pretty good in JA2. It's actually one of the things that made the game so memorable, more than the combat that is.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does it force you to actually read or can you just skip past everything and not lose much?

If a game forces you to actually read the text and it sounds like it was written by a dog or a zoomer, that's a hard pass.
I assume you got to read stuff if I want to know anything about the story. The game is supposed to borrow from Dead State after all.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Anyone who thinks good RPGs make themselves is wrong. Broz let's help these guyz make best JA2 with zombies ever, or even isometric-tactical Fallout: New Vegas in zombie post-apocalypse. About writing: WHY don't you contact Chris Avellone? After you're done laughing, tell me why there isn't your message inside his inbox. Serious question. Dude is Shakespeare of Video Games, and got cancelled over.....nobody really knows what. He's dirt cheap because of it, costs as much as Thai hoe. Do you have balls and courage to ask Chris out? USG_Mucifikatorul

Fargus

Arcane
You can say what you will about Dead State but the writing was entertaining. Dialogues were pretty much classic Mitsoda, same humor and amusting insults.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I got feeling that reason why many indies don't ask out writers like Chris/Mitsoda to write for them is because EGO of local team's writer is on the way. You have Kingmaker Devs and many others who never offered Chris position of Lead Writer. Can you imagine some SJW thinking xer prose is better :-D

Fargus

Arcane
I got feeling that reason why many indies don't ask out writers like Chris/Mitsoda to write for them is because EGO of local team's writer is on the way. You have Kingmaker Devs and many others who never offered Chris position of Lead Writer. Can you imagine some SJW thinking xer prose is better :-D
One is a sad wreck of a man not sure if he even writes anymore and the other's reputation was completely destroyed and noone wants to be associated with him. Who would ask them to write anything at this point?

Funny enough the writing in modern rpgs is so shit and boring that i would sooner ask some patreon lewd vn monkey to write for an rpg. At least i know then it will be entertaining.

Ryzer

Arcane
One is a sad wreck of a man not sure if he even writes anymore and the other's reputation was completely destroyed and noone wants to be associated with him. Who would ask them to write anything at this point?

Funny enough the writing in modern rpgs is so shit and boring that i would sooner ask some patreon lewd vn monkey to write for an rpg. At least i know then it will be entertaining.
Or you can simply ask ChatGPT to produce more interesting dialogues.

Acrux

Arcane

I assume you got to read stuff if I want to know anything about the story. The game is supposed to borrow from Dead State after all.
It looks like there is going to be some kind of overhaul.
Most recent Urban Strife news post on Steam said:
RPG has gone through a new overhaul round, dialogues are now less stuffed; you can still read the lore, but you can do it at will, after you settle in

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the writing is pretty good in JA2. It's actually one of the things that made the game so memorable, more than the combat that is.

All Renaissance titles had good writing because they were developed before educational and cultural decline became full throttle. But you don't play JA2 or Urban Strife because of the writing. The tactical combat in this game is excellent, but it is going to need a few patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom