Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Caim

Arcane

Vincente

Arbiter
It's almost guaranteed that Dumpsterphyre will have some sectioned-off combat zones, and the rest of the game will be a literal walking simulator.
You don't say.
The icon above the health meter indicates if you’re in one of the
following areas:

• Masquerade – Represented by the sad drama mask, these areas have
the Masquerade in effect. If your character is caught using his powers
in these areas, you’ll cause a Masquerade violation (see the
Masquerade section).
Yea, that's exactly what this game won't have. Along with weapons.
But it will have Masquerade.

The city is populated with "civilians," unaware that you are a vampire walking among them. Whilst this may seem great to a vampire - free-ranged food on every street - it also comes with risk, as using your vampiric powers or feeding in front of witnesses can trigger a Masquerade breach, and while you are Sheriff, even you are not above the law and could have the court's Scourge sent to deal with you if you are reckless on the streets of the emerald city. So make sure to hunt like a vampire: stalking from rooftops, hunting in alleyways, isolating your prey and if you are observed, deal with witnesses swiftly.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

The city is populated with "civilians," unaware that you are a vampire walking among them. Whilst this may seem great to a vampire - free-ranged food on every street - it also comes with risk, as using your vampiric powers or feeding in front of witnesses can trigger a Masquerade breach, and while you are Sheriff, even you are not above the law and could have the court's Scourge sent to deal with you if you are reckless on the streets of the emerald city. So make sure to hunt like a vampire: stalking from rooftops, hunting in alleyways, isolating your prey and if you are observed, deal with witnesses swiftly.

Yes, but it works IN THE GAME? There is no real information, only fluff.

Vincente

Arbiter

I don't understand if you're sarcastic or not. Or your question, for that matter.

The President

Educated
What purpose is there to feed in the public areas of this game? We literally have no knowledge of the mechanics.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I don't understand if you're sarcastic or not. Or your question, for that matter.

CR's entry refers to the concept of the Masquerade and its presence in the modern world. However, I don't see a single sentence there that would translate this fluff into the mechanics of this particular game. For example, does the sentence "stalking from rooftops" mean a fully three-dimensional city where I can climb onto the roof of any building, or is it just a cool thing that I will only see in a cutscene?

Vincente

Arbiter
However, I don't see a single sentence there that would translate this fluff into the mechanics of this particular game.
If you break the Masquerade by open feeding or using disciplines when people can see you, you'll attract attention and get the Scourge sicced on you. As they state it in the Dev Diary.
For example, does the sentence "stalking from rooftops" mean a fully three-dimensional city where I can climb onto the roof of any building, or is it just a cool thing that I will only see in a cutscene?
We already saw the player character climb buildings and glide through air in open world, which tells us the city will be somewhat three-dimensional, no?

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
For example, does the sentence "stalking from rooftops" mean a fully three-dimensional city where I can climb onto the roof of any building, or is it just a cool thing that I will only see in a cutscene?
Probably not even a cutscene. Does it really look like Dumpsterphyre is going to have even one city zone with civilians, streets, stores, enterable buildings, etc.? The first street of Santa Monica is an unattainable dream for TCR.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Probably not even a cutscene. Does it really look like Dumpsterphyre is going to have even one city zone with civilians, streets, stores, enterable buildings, etc.? The first street of Santa Monica is an unattainable dream for TCR.
They're re-using Hardsuit's maps and covering them in snow. That's the whole point of still having the game take place in Seattle.

ind33d

Learned
would be better as an open world roguelike where you have to feed every night and not get caught and try to live as long as possible

La vie sexuelle

Learned
However, I don't see a single sentence there that would translate this fluff into the mechanics of this particular game.
If you break the Masquerade by open feeding or using disciplines when people can see you, you'll attract attention and get the Scourge sicced on you. As they state it in the Dev Diary.

The fact that a paper RPG has certain rules is one thing, but the translation into a video game is another thing. We still don't know what exactly this will look like, except that it will have some impact on the gameplay. Dev Diary hides this ambiguity behind some specific but non-contextual information.

We already saw the player character climb buildings and glide through air in open world, which tells us the city will be somewhat three-dimensional, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in none gameplay we see vertical movement in the open world, only in closed maps. This is important because:

a) We don't really know how interactive these closed maps are (where we can actually jump).
b) The open world is difficult to tame, and the difference is whether we will be able to jump freely on the roofs or some buildings will have climbing gutters marked in red.

I'm afraid you may be right.

Vincente

Arbiter
The fact that a paper RPG has certain rules is one thing, but the translation into a video game is another thing. We still don't know what exactly this will look like, except that it will have some impact on the gameplay. Dev Diary hides this ambiguity behind some specific but non-contextual information.
How is it non-contextual? If you break the Masquerade, it will have consequences in the game. Namely punishment from Camarilla Court's Scourge (since you're the Sheriff). The original point we were discussing was whether the game would have Masquerade mechanics or not. The game does have this mechanic, as they stated in the diary. We obviously don't know how deep it will be (spoiler: it wasnt also deep in Troika Bloodlines), but it will be in the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in none gameplay we see vertical movement in the open world, only in closed maps.
The only thing we saw in regards to this was in the announcement trailer I believe, where the player character tackles a goon on top of a building and dive down, and later in the video, glide through air in streets. Yes we don't know how three dimensional the city will be, whether they have marked vantage points you can use to get on top of buildings or free roaming building to building.

Harthwain

Magister
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in none gameplay we see vertical movement in the open world, only in closed maps.
The only thing we saw in regards to this was in the announcement trailer I believe, where the player character tackles a goon on top of a building and dive down, and later in the video, glide through air in streets. Yes we don't know how three dimensional the city will be, whether they have marked vantage points you can use to get on top of buildings or free roaming building to building.
You can scale walls (2:50), so it would be easy to turn this into the ability that allows you to get on the rooftops. Will we be able to literally "stalk from rooftops"? I would be surprised if they put that bit on info without making sure they can carry it through (no matter what pathetic form it may take in the end).

The Chinese Room + Paradox and some people STILL think there will be anything remotely playable at the end of this tunnel. Just let it go.
"Playable" is a very broad term. I bet it will be playable (unless they release it in such buggy state it won't be). The real question is: will it be utter shit or just utterly mediocre? It could be the latter. At least judging by the gameplays.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
would be better as an open world roguelike where you have to feed every night and not get caught and try to live as long as possible
That sounds incredibly gay given the original is a narrative based RPG. It's not Fortnite.
A spin-off entry in a very different genre (than the original game) could work, but I'd rather we played something other than yet another open world video game.

ind33d

Learned
That sounds incredibly gay given the original is a narrative based RPG. It's not Fortnite.
A spin-off entry in a very different genre (than the original game) could work, but I'd rather we played something other than yet another open world video game.
I played Oblivion with Vile Lair like that and it was great

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom