Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity What's an RPG? The Definitive Thread For an Age-Old Question

Lurker47

Savant
Threads like this make me wonder why there isn't a shitpost containment subforum. Or maybe that's just half of the site.

Sloul

Savant
rpg-7-launcher.gif

Fine, I will be the only person not trolling in this thread.

THE definition:

Role Playing Games is a genre of video games that feature some combination of the following gameplay elements:
a. Character development - Player controls one or more in-game characters, who obtain new abilities or improve their characteristics over the course of the game.
b. Combat - Player controlled character(s) engage(s) in combat with other in-game entities.
c. Exploration - Player controlled character(s) can traverse the game world and find new locations, characters, and objects.
d. Dialogue - Player controlled character(s) can engage in dialogue with other in-game characters.

Element a is required, b, c and d are usually present but vary in their importance.

The term originates from pre-computer Pen and Paper game sessions and is a misnomer for the video game genre. Role Playing Games within the context of Pen and Paper sessions meant that every participant in the session takes on a particular "role" (e.g. dwarf paladin, elf rogue) which is separate from their actual persona. For PnP sessions, this made a lot of sense, as enjoyment was obtained from the "acting out" of the roles and the interaction between them. Had PnP players stuck with their own persona every time, both of those advantages would be lost.

Once computers and consoles came along, one of the earliest types of games became games that featured the 4 elements above, in various combinations. Because of certain connections to the PnP scene (same audience, fantasy settings, character development, dungeon crawling, etc), they became known as RPGs. However, in the video game context, this was not an accurate name anymore. Early video game RPGs (Ultimas, Wizardries, etc) did not support actual "role playing" to any significant degree. Moreover, with video game RPGs, "role playing" was no longer an essential requirement for enjoyment, as it was with PnP sessions. Since each video game RPG offered its own virtual world, story, and gameplay, the player could play each one from his own personal perspective (and not that of some character), and still enjoy it, which would be impossible with PnP sessions.

Because of this, the vast majority of games released as RPGs do not actually have true role-playing. Therefore, the name should not be interpreted literally, but is simply a label for games that fit the beginning of this definition.

deama

Prophet
Fine, I will be the only person not trolling in this thread.

THE definition:

Role Playing Games is a genre of video games that feature some combination of the following gameplay elements:
a. Character development - Player controls one or more in-game characters, who obtain new abilities or improve their characteristics over the course of the game.
b. Combat - Player controlled character(s) engage(s) in combat with other in-game entities.
c. Exploration - Player controlled character(s) can traverse the game world and find new locations, characters, and objects.
d. Dialogue - Player controlled character(s) can engage in dialogue with other in-game characters.

Element a is required, b, c and d are usually present but vary in their importance.

The term originates from pre-computer Pen and Paper game sessions and is a misnomer for the video game genre. Role Playing Games within the context of Pen and Paper sessions meant that every participant in the session takes on a particular "role" (e.g. dwarf paladin, elf rogue) which is separate from their actual persona. For PnP sessions, this made a lot of sense, as enjoyment was obtained from the "acting out" of the roles and the interaction between them. Had PnP players stuck with their own persona every time, both of those advantages would be lost.

Once computers and consoles came along, one of the earliest types of games became games that featured the 4 elements above, in various combinations. Because of certain connections to the PnP scene (same audience, fantasy settings, character development, dungeon crawling, etc), they became known as RPGs. However, in the video game context, this was not an accurate name anymore. Early video game RPGs (Ultimas, Wizardries, etc) did not support actual "role playing" to any significant degree. Moreover, with video game RPGs, "role playing" was no longer an essential requirement for enjoyment, as it was with PnP sessions. Since each video game RPG offered its own virtual world, story, and gameplay, the player could play each one from his own personal perspective (and not that of some character), and still enjoy it, which would be impossible with PnP sessions.

Because of this, the vast majority of games released as RPGs do not actually have true role-playing. Therefore, the name should not be interpreted literally, but is simply a label for games that fit the beginning of this definition.
What game do you think best represents what an RPG is?

I purposely kept the definition broad because it IS a very broad genre. You can argue that something like NetHack is a completely different genre than something like Gothic or something like Deus Ex or something like Fallout. But to me, all of these have enough in common to be a part of the same genre. After all, if they are all in the same genre, we can debate which is better and why, otherwise you get into the whole oranges vs apples thing, which is just boring.

deama

Prophet

I purposely kept the definition broad because it IS a very broad genre. You can argue that something like NetHack is a completely different genre than something like Gothic or something like Deus Ex or something like Fallout. But to me, all of these have enough in common to be a part of the same genre. After all, if they are all in the same genre, we can debate which is better and why, otherwise you get into the whole oranges vs apples thing, which is just boring.
I would say Alpha protocol would best represent the genre, so far.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There's no objective definition for what an PRG is. Everyone can agree on what a racing game is, but not on what an RPG is. To many, Dark Souls isn't an RPG but an action game. Others think it is an action RPG. Others (me included) don't give a shit about "action", it's an RPG period.

I personally think a game where your character motivations and personality are set in stone isn't an RPG.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
2DajWCO.jpg

Whoa this must be an SJW's biggest cockblock.

"We have put enormous efforts in the diversity of the game's

locations."

Darkzone

Arcane
Shorts answer:
D&D and every derivate from it (if it contains its characteristics) is a roleplaying game.

Long answer:
David Wesely made simulations of a wild west towns "twin cities" where the characters in this town were played by some people ("Braunstein" games). Dave Arneson played in this group led by David Wesely. Arneson liked wargames and made the chainmail (miniature) game published by Gary Gygax. Arneson and Gary Gygax made together D&D based on the Dungeon!, Chainmail, Braunstein games and literature of Conan Novels and Lord of the Rings. Others tried to copy D&D which was released in 1974 after its success and this games were called in the late 70s roleplaying games to avoid juristic disputes with TSR. Role Playing games is also terminology used in psychotherapy and acting / theater where a person plays a specific character to learn the impersonation this kind of character. And perhaps that is the reason why this term was used for this reason to not call them self as D&D, but to state implicit that it is similar to D&D.

So if someone doesn't know this and is honestly asking "what is a role playing game" then ... I recommend first to watch youtube videos about the history of D&D with Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, David Wesely and David R. Megarry and his Dungeon! (prototyped in 1972).

Big Wrangle

Will I get banned for copypasting the entire Wikipedia article?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The more I think about teh question "what is an RPG", the more I come to believe that the best way to understand the genre is to apply to it the concept of family resemblance. There is no one core feature which is common to all RPGs. But there are overlapping similarities.

E.g.
RPG #1 has core elements A, B, C
RPG #2 has core elements C, D, E
RPG #3 has core elements D, E, F

RPG #1 and RPG #3 do not share any core elements. But still it can be completely plausible, that both are RPGs.

Still, if there is one common core element, I am inclined to think that it is rather "stats & progression" than "choice & consequences" or "ability to play a role".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom