Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

SilentMRG

Literate
Total Annihilation and TA Kingdoms still hold up. They are simple RTS in gameplay and great for beginners in the genre. The graphics are nice and the interface is easy to understand and use. I feel like TA is a true RTS in essence, as it doesn't have the ton of bullshit that other RTSs have, which simply make you waste 2 hours on a single map (I'm looking at you, gentlemen... Warcraft II and StarCraft). Anyway, both are on GOG. TA works without extra tweaks, however, you might want to update TA Kingdoms nGlide to have a stable technical experience, I mean without the boring "AppCrash".

SilentMRG

Literate
I was watching a video about TA these days and I saw some comments mentioning "BAR", I was like "WTF... What is BAR?!" Without time to research about it, I ended up letting it go... Now I see at the top of the "Alpha BAR" website, the comments were about that. XD It looks very good, it could even be considered a TA Remake. Furthermore, even though I'm a PC gamer, I think console and Android versions would be very welcome. =)

Thanks for letting me know about this great project! I need to try this someday, maybe next weekend, since my free time is short during the week, hehe.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It's actually amusing to see how many people around here will talk about how hardcore of a gamer they are, but any reference to Wizardry or something will go right over their head. Instead they'll talk about how cool they are for beating a game millions of other people have. You'd think some people around here were just pretending to be good at games for clout or something.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's because Wizardry is a blobber and all of those are frikkin disgusting, I learned that from Dungeon Master on Amiga and haven't touched those ever since.

On the other hand, there's probably only two games I'm really good at (both pvp) and suck ass in the rest more or less, be it single or multiplayer, so it's all in balance.

Harthwain

Magister
What is defined as a classic is in the eye of the beholder (and your first experiences with the gaming). Each generation has different classics as a result.

That said, there are old games (in any genre) that are worth at least checking out. I heard a lot about Dune 2000 (which I played back then and wasn't that impressed by it), on the flipside I am immensely impressed by Dune 1992 that isn't mentioned at all (I ran into it by accident). It is not a perfect game and there is a lot you could criticize, but this particular mix of adventure and real time strategy is really impressive in what it tries to achieve, especially considering how limited software was at the time compared to what we have now. I can easily see this being someone's classic/all time favourite. On some level it reminds me a lot of Imperium Galactica (first time perspective combined with real time strategy management).

NotSweeper

Educated
The fact that you think people who automatically keep items in a neat, organised way are autistic.
Oh man, I remember first grade, I'd lay out my notebook, textbooks, pencils and eraser all neatly on the school desk.
I got that shit bullied out of me within a month. I know they'll never see this, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my bullies for carrying out a valuable social service.
maxresdefault.jpg
Don't be too mad about your aspergers, I'm sure you have some pens to organize .
Goddamn, that takes me back.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd imagine that even among people that were around back then, a lot of us were kids that got a few games a year, if that, so our experience with 'classics' is spotty. I've played Ultima 3 on the NES, and the original Rogue. Haven't played any later Ultima games. Played MM3 back in the day, but it barely ran on our 386 so I never finished it. Came back to the series decades later and finished 4 and 5, but couldn't get into the rest or be bothered to finish up 3, which had a lot of bullshit puzzles that would require waiting around in game for years. Used to have the cluebook/map/box/etc. for it too; shame it got lost, dad probably sold it off in a garage sale. We got it from a thrift store and it had a virus on the fucking 5" floppy disks. :lol:

These days I could go back and play old classics, but it's hard to pick out the genuinely awesome stuff from things people have rose tinted glasses over, and there's a ton of indie stuff constantly coming out that takes the good stuff from the classics with a better UI and QoL stuff. Again, hard to pick out genuinely awesome new stuff too, but it's easier to find reviews and footage of the new stuff.

I've still got some classic stuff on my plate I intend to get around to, like Wiz 7, but I'm not going to go out of my way to play shit I'm not interested in just for bragging rights or for perspective. Rogue isn't a good game these days; it sparked a genre, but it's been surpassed in every way since then. I wouldn't suggest anyone play it except perhaps someone researching game history.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Let me lift the mood for you at least a bit:

Might and Magic 3,4,5, World of Xeen, 6,7,8 been there done that, had fun, recommending to anyone!
Wizardy 7, addicted to for at least 8 years, replayed bazillion of times, never finished it! Oh, the hurt!
Wasteland, okay you got me, I mean... I haven't played everything.
Darklands, tried at least several times. Not especially a fan of it, but I respect the game and what it tries to do.
Betrayal at Krondor, just look at my icon.
Realms of Arkania II, absolutely adored the heck out of it. It was one-of-a kind complexity when it came out!
Pools of Darkness, sorry, I am more of a Myth Drannor guy, but ok, nice one!
Dungeon Master, hmm... was it 7 times or 12 times? Do RTC and Dungeon Master Java mods count? Wuuf the Bika for lyfe!
Ultima - the worst RPG "crime" of mine. I never really liked any of them except the Underworld series. Then again, I give them the respect they deserve as some of the most notable additions to the early-PC RPG genre.

Probably the oldest RPGs I played was Dark Queen of Krynn and Eye of the Beholder (II?). One of my all time favorites is Betrayal at Krondor though. I really wish that game would get a graphical remaster.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I started with Ultima 4 and probably have played every CRPG until maybe the 2000s when shit geysered in game development like a woketard encampment.

Hell Swarm

Learned
A lot of the classics have been replaced by something more refined and better. Fallout is only remembered because Fallout 3 brought the series into the mainstream and as such the legacy games get attention. Diablo 2 carries Diablo 1 on it's back like a tumour. Unless the setting is very unique or the story is exceptional (and it probably isn't in an open world blobber game) then you're better off playing an upgraded version of that game. i.e. fuck Fallout 1/2 and play Wasteland or Underrail or whatever those games are called. There's exceptions like original XCom is so different to modern XCom and nothing hits quite the same spot. But you can't say the same about open world RPGs or even dungeon crawlers.

KeAShizuku

Novice
How many people do you think actually finished Torment?

Even in my highly advanced Euro country half of children who graduate from high school are functionally illiterate.
Reading is more hardcore than Dark Souls.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Imagination is enough to see the potential of what crpgs can be. The theory that these oldies are gonna be deep and valuable to experience falls apart infront of a PnP session, for example. Is there really a reason to go back in time? I'm sorry, I ain't seeing it.

But the real answer is far more simple than that.. Many of these "true classics" are old, messy and ugly. As the years go by I'm becoming old, messy and ugly aswell so if the choice is between: replaying something I already like, try something new, or try something old and cranky pretending it's gonna feel new - I ain't gonna choose the last one.

Old Hans

Arcane
Imagination is enough to see the potential of what crpgs can be. The theory that these oldies are gonna be deep and valuable to experience falls apart infront of a PnP session, for example. Is there really a reason to go back in time? I'm sorry, I ain't seeing it.

But the real answer is far more simple than that.. Many of these "true classics" are old, messy and ugly. As the years go by I'm becoming old, messy and ugly aswell so if the choice is between: replaying something I already like, try something new, or try something old and cranky pretending it's gonna feel new - I ain't gonna choose the last one.
I love the golden oldies. Magic Candle is still my top pick, although I hate going back to old UI's where the developers were still trying to figure out how to utilize a mouse

Zoo

Novice
Total Annihilation and TA Kingdoms still hold up. They are simple RTS in gameplay and great for beginners in the genre. The graphics are nice and the interface is easy to understand and use. I feel like TA is a true RTS in essence, as it doesn't have the ton of bullshit that other RTSs have, which simply make you waste 2 hours on a single map (I'm looking at you, gentlemen... Warcraft II and StarCraft). Anyway, both are on GOG. TA works without extra tweaks, however, you might want to update TA Kingdoms nGlide to have a stable technical experience, I mean without the boring "AppCrash".
Base WarCraft II is very short and easy, it hasn't got any mission which need two hours to finish. Of course, if you turtle (like me through my first walktrough as a RTS virgin), and wait for the AI to run out of resources, it could be more tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom