Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A couple of guides/videos/reviews of classic RPG etc games

jefklak

Scholar
Let's start with the message 'Yes, this is a shameless self-plug' - I hope that's OK?

Since this is an excellent roleplaying information website, I'd like to post a little bit info on underrated or underappreciated western roleplaying games too. I recently finished a wiki/blog kind-of website which bundles articles with in-depth guides and video streams about different kind of old school (rpg) games.With this website I hope to make people familiar with otherwise not popular enough games.
For instance a Might & Magic VII article, or a whole lot of Wizardry 8 information: class-specific guides, a couple of videos, a lot screens, and more. Arcanum and Jagged Alliance (to complete my Sir-Tech tribute) are also part of the list. That's why I'm posting this in the RPG discussion forum - most of the games are RPGs - for now. But there are also a couple of videos and reviews of classic platform or adventure games like Captain Claw and Gobliins 2.

For a full overview please take a look at the games index.The newest one is a tribute to Apogee Software for us pixel nerds.
It's possible to stumble upon grammatical errors, please let me know ASAP. If you would like to contribute, I'd be happy to create you an account! The site is new so yes, there are not many articles online yet, that's why I need some help. I'm sure there are some pixel lovers or obscure RPG lovers in here :)

Thanks for reading!
If you like the site (or hate it, whatever) please post a comment on the blog!
I know this looks like spam since I also registered today (but I've read the board for a couple of years), but please just take a look.

sheek

Arbiter
Good website! Reading the Arcanum Gunslinger and Parties guides at the moment

jefklak

Scholar
sheek said:
Good website! Reading the Arcanum Gunslinger and Parties guides at the moment

Thanks a lot! Please leave a comment there if you like the arcanum guides :)
The gunslinger guide is not finished actually, and I'm planning to write a rogue guide some day. I'm quite proud of the Wiz8 class guides - heh, I've been playing that game way too much, over and over again, recreating characters again and again :)

Gotta love Sir-Tech! And Troika of course. Both closed, damn.
And yeah, since I grew up with Apogee, I tought i'd contribute a liittle.

By the way if there's a guide you wrote about one of those games - or maybe another - I'd be happy to add it to the website!

Ladonna

Arcane
Nice site, Its good to see a site like this. If you continue adding to this with more RPG's I can see it becoming a standard stopover instead of having to go to 500 different sites for each game.

One error so far. In the Wizardry 8 part, 'Thrust me' is a little disconcerting. :lol:

Edit: I have seen that Jayna Stiles pic a lot, but my copy of Arcanum comes with Jayna looking like some washed out Junky that needs a fix. Is the better pic in the Euro version or something?

jefklak

Scholar
thanks a lot glad you like it :) If you feel like contributing, please let me know!
I can't possibly cover all roleplaying (and other) games myself...

About Jayna - you mean

Jayna_Stiles.jpg
instead of
Jayna.jpg

my Arcanum in-game Jayna also looks a lot worse, hehe - don't really know, I bet it's a regonal difference or something with patches.

hiciacit

Liturgist
My copy has the right one. She looks as if she has a bad rash around the mouth or something. Oh well, a girl's gotta make a living in Dernholm.

Good site btw, with lots of room for expansion. ;)

edit: just realized, but jefklak...cool name!

Texas Red

Whiner
Did you fubars get a real manual with your copy of Arcanum? Mine had some experiments but not a single word about the actual game. And no, there was no manual on the CD.

Ladonna

Arcane
Yep, I got a real manual with Arcanum.

Uh...Why have you been Dumbfucked WD?

obediah

Erudite
Inziladun said:
Ladonna said:
Yep, I got a real manual with Arcanum.

Uh...Why have you been Dumbfucked WD?

Something about a contest to see who can go longest without masterbating.

Did they up the resolution on the atomic clock or something? Who would want to win that contest?

Grafo

Augur
Would you like to make a backup plan, like throwing or a bow? Or would you yust like to grab yourself an axe and whack the enemy when you run out of bullets?

Found a spelling mistake in the gunslinger overview.

Well, let me assure you: the gunslinger is not really an exception eighter.

Another one under strength stat recommendations.

Texas Red

Whiner
sheek said:
You should be able to get a pdf manual at replacementdocs.com

Thanks but I think I dont need to tell you that a pdf manual cant replace the real one.

sheek

Arbiter
If you want a full paper manual you'd have to pay $10 more. Seeing as old games like Arcanum can only be sold as a budget game and it wouldn't be a budget game any more it's obvious you don't get one. :roll:

DaViLLaN

Augur
jefklak,

your site made it to http://www.bluesnews.com

under the heading..............

etc. [October 25, 2006, 09:07 am ET] - 1 Comment

* Sid Meier Retrospective on Gameworld Network…
* On Killing a Lich…

congrats

sheek

Arbiter
I need some advice about my Arcanum Gunslinger.

Right now I'm at level 12 with Magnus, Virgil and Sogg Mead and just finished the Schuylers' quest. I have a Quality Revolver and a magic sword from the Toone girl. So far I've been investing a bit in everything, Lockpicking, Traps, Melee/Dodge and Firearms.

What skills should I focus on?

Big problem at the moment is that Virgil's healing doesn't always work on me and I barely survive a lot of fights. Should I go for Chemistry/Herbology or try to get my Tech meter down? I noticed on jefklak's page it doesn't mention Virgil. Should/can I get rid of him and replace him with Jayna?

jefklak

Scholar
DaViLLaN said:
jefklak,

your site made it to http://www.bluesnews.com

congrats

Yes indeed, I posted the news myself, bluesnews is very very kind! :D
Sheek:

# 1 - ditch Virgil. He's magickal aligned, you're not. healing spells will become useless!Yes, pick jayna. I know this sucks and virgil is voiced while jayna is not but you'll notice the difference in the future. The stupid thing about jayna is she dies alot here... She keeps rushing and meleeing - urgh
# 2 - why the hell are you investing in melee? :) Throwing for god's sake! together with a few explosives - even molotov, the first one - will be very effective to keep enemies at bay and let you shooting stuff up.

sheek

Arbiter
But Virgil has his own quests. Jayna doesn't does she? (Never used her before)

Is Jayna really worth it? I was thinking of getting into Herbology myself, just to level one for healing salves might be enough. I also wanted to get Gar and save a space for Raven later on.

Melee has come in very useful. I would never have got this far without it... bullets run out and nobody else in my party can fight worth shit.

Also... are there any NPCs who can identify items for free?

Texas Red

Whiner
Why would you want to ditch Virgil? Sure, there maybe more effective PCs in combination of your character, but he is the part of the story, right there from the beginning. Its like throwing away Morte. And its not like Arcanum is overly difficult.

Also, about the throwing... If I recall correctly, it is bugged and gives you unlimited number of times to throw explosives. So unless there is a patch that Im not aware of this that fixes this bug, then I wouldnt pick it if you dont like exploitations.

Strange that you run out of bullets. Did you learn to create them yourself? The components can be found in the garbage cans or they cost, like, nothing.

sheek

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Strange that you run out of bullets. Did you learn to create them yourself? The components can be found in the garbage cans or they cost, like, nothing.

Where's the schematic?

This is my first time playing a Tech character, only previous game that got anywhere was with a swordsman/smooth talker.

Bullets are 5 gold a piece at every store I've been. If I use 20 bullets a fight that gets pricey.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Great to see you get some recognition, Jefpet. :wink: Keep on going with that site.

Texas Red

Whiner
sheek said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

Where's the schematic?

This is my first time playing a Tech character, only previous game that got anywhere was with a swordsman/smooth talker.

Bullets are 5 gold a piece at every store I've been. If I use 20 bullets a fight that gets pricey.

I remember that the bullet schematics were sold in the techy shops. Their inventory is not static and changes from day to day. Anyway, the point is that if you search eneugh in the shops you will find blueprints.

By the way, is the game very different if you play as a smooth talker? I could never really stick to the characters I made, so I only saw some of the beginning dialogs choises, which were quite nice.

sheek

Arbiter
Yeah I think it's very different. Eg during the Dwarf King quest I managed to totally avoid the fighting through a long dialogue with his son (and some luck). Managed to trick my way into seeing Bates etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom