Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Do they even have anything else going on besides Coffee Stain Studios (Sanctum, Satisfactory) and Ghostship Games (Deep Rock Galactic)? What an absolutely shit publisher.
Warhorse, forgot the name but there's some larger studio working on WH40k Spess Marine 2, Crystal Dynamics as an entity is probably focusing their efforts on a single franchise as well and given their portfoilio it'll have something to do with a woman jumping around tombs, also Gearbox, whatever they're doing rn. A lot of what's happening in there is just restructuring, they have to show the banks that they can stop the bleeding and start generating money or at least focus their development on a couple of games that have the highest likelyhood of commercial success.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kinda having fun watching the redditors sperg out over this. Embracer is now worse than EA :)

Guess everything forgot all the days they did release, before the Saudi apocalypse (like JA3, Last Train and Spellforce).

Gargaune

Arcane
While the job cuts are unfortunate, I'm actually okay with Deus Ex staying put for the time. The videogames industry's in a weird place right now, chasing some pretty noxious stylistic and mechanical fads and I've been quite concerned that any Deus Ex sequel gestating at this time would've been born under the wrong stars, so to say. Let it sit on the shelf a couple more years while things simmer down, let Eidos Montreal observe the inevitable mistakes of the likes of Obsidian, inXile and The Chinese Room as they tackle that hub-based FPP Action-RPG market, then there might be a proper opportunity again to make a worthy final episode to the Jensen trilogy.

Also, a buddy of mine linked me to the Arstechnica article on this earlier, and...
Gaming legend Warren Spector oversaw the development of the original Deus Ex, merging shooters, stealth, and open-world RPG game mechanics in a way that, for the year 2000, was wholly original.
Just, um... yeah.

There was a 4chan post last week that claimed the new Jensen game had been scrapped but a Deus Ex remake (not made by Eidos Montreal) is far along in development and may be released later this year.
You shut your mouth! YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH RIGHT NOW! :argh:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Fuck this shit, i mean most of us probably expected that this would happen considering how Embracer is declining fast but no new Deus Ex... what was even the point of that retarded company, that was literally the only thing i cared about.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Deus Ex remake (not made by Eidos Montreal) is far along in development and may be released later this year.
Now the race is on, who wins, DeusEx UE5 or What ever the hell this remake was supposed to be lol. (yes there is a functional Deus Ex port for Unreal 5 now).

I do like the direction the UE5 idea is going in, though their texture work is horrendous we had a lot nicer looking parallax mapping with the New Vision experiments that Dave originally ran and that was like 2 decades ago lol.
The main benefit I see is in the modding potential, especially as now UE5 is going to give you the rigging support and higher tri counts that prevented HDTP doing it again 2 decades ago... god I'm old. HDTP was originally going to replace all the animations in the game but it was proven to be impossible due to UE1's lack of skeletal bone support - everything is done on the vertex, they did have converters which is why the Gunther rig worked (he was the first character to be updated) but the process for converting skeletal to vertex animation was painful. I hope what is left of the community goes on to make something cool with it.

My earlier assessment was correct, Embracer was hemorrhaging money due to flop after flop after flop. This is the obvious outcome from all that, they can pretend all they want but why shut down a game 2 years in production from a reputable and award winning studio? this tells me Embracer is now completely and utterly risk averse and its likely we're going to see further downward trending. I hope the new saints row was worth it guys lol.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Disappointing, as I quite enjoyed HR and MD. They are popamole, but the good kind of popamole.

I hope we get a novella or something that wraps up Jensen's story officially, though like I posted in the MD thread, I think the pieces are already there for us to put together ourselves.

All signs point to the fact that Jensen was killed at the end of DXHR, but his body and DNA were recovered by Versalife and used to create an even more augmented clone -- the Jensen of DXMD. Jensen 2.0 is unwittingly being used as a pawn in Bob Page's scheme to usurp the Illuminati, a plan which ultimately must succeed in order to set the stage for DX1.

Someone made a wiki page that does a good job laying out all the evidence. I think it's pretty overwhelming when considered as a whole.

Also I think it's almost certain that Jensen's unique DNA, which holds the key to universal augmentation, plays a key role in the creation of the Dentons later on.

https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Aeratus/Guide_to_the_Adam_Jensen_Clone_Theory

Gargaune

Arcane
DeusEx UE5
Is it really worth it, though? It's not like throwing a new coat of paint on Skyrim to keep it almost, sorta in step with modern developments, DX's entire asset base is from a different era and piecemeal efforts to update it will only make it look awkward and disjointed, especially given the perspective - stuff like this can work to a degree on an isometric like NWN, but up close in FPP... And on the other hand, the game's from a point in time where 3D graphics had reached a sufficient level of maturity to provide a complete representation of the subject matter, which is to say it's just an old game, not a primitively "ugly" one.

I've been tinkering with (or rather viciously mistreating) the HDR (non-Classic Lighting) shader in Kentie's DX10 renderer in preparation for my future replay, but actually to reduce its impact, and I don't really see myself needing any other graphical bells and whistles. Hell, I didn't even need that, but I did need the base to run the game on a modern rig and I just got caught up messing with the optional shader.

Don't get me wrong, the video looks cool (and I suppose VR enthusiasts have something to get excited about), but the overall effect gives me that impression of a scrappy 2020s indie rather than a cohesive artifact of its time.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, either update everything to a modern level or leave as much as close it as it was as possible.

UE5 videos I've seen look terrible and do weird things like giving Denton a blue cloth coat.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Is it really worth it, though?
Im going to say no because even despite all the effort the community put into HDTP and New Vision the results ended up dated once engines started moving to PBR/PBS textures. Plus the community hates you when ever you try and do anything that isn't low poly as we discovered the hard way probably why UE5 dev is sticking to the low poly style but adding the PBS stuff to it. I also doubt that an official remake will be any good, it will likely end up the same way as the System Shock 2 update.

Agreed. Deus Ex touches on too many hot button cultural and political issues in its plot and worldbuilding. No remake would survive the effort to update it for Modern Audiences. No need to dig it up and rape the corpse.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There was retarded stuff in the new Deus Ex games but the woke crap was acceptable considering that the games were mechanically sound.

Embracer should have called Microsoft. They cancelled a potentially good game. Deus Ex IP is still valuable. Retards.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Annoying that two of my favourite IPs are being held under lock and key... this and SS. I've nothing against remakes/updates etc. but I want to see something new and some risks taken.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/adam-jensen...ta-be-honest-i-gave-up-on-it-a-long-time-ago/

Adam Jensen voice actor says cancelled Deus Ex likely 'wasn't a Jensen story anyway' and that 'I gotta be honest, I gave up on it a long time ago'​

Embracer cancellation or no, it seems we were never going to see a conclusion to the Jensen arc anyway.

The world got worse yesterday as the ever-spiralling Embracer Group laid off 97 people at Eidos Montreal and apparently cancelled an upcoming Deus Ex game the studio had been working on for two years. The layoffs were, in a year that has already seen thousands of job losses before the end of January, bitterly unsurprising, but the fact that a new Deus Ex had been in development only to be cast aside took many of us unawares.

Many, but not all. One person who wasn't shocked by the news of Deus Ex's aborted resurrection was Elias Toufexis, voice actor for Human Revolution and Mankind Divided's Adam Jensen. In the wake of the news, Toufexis tweeted that "I told you guys it wasn't happening," and told PC Gamer that "I gotta be honest, I gave up on it a long time ago."

In fact, Toufexis seems understandably convinced that whatever Deus Ex project Eidos Montreal was cooking up wasn't even going to be a continuation of Adam Jensen's story, which began all the way back in 2011 with Human Revolution and was left unfinished after 2016's Mankind Divided. "I wasn't under NDA and they never called me," Toufexis told PCG, elaborating on Twitter that "If they had been working on a #DeusEx for two years, and they still hadn't contacted me, there's a good chance it wasn't a Jensen story anyway."

Well if that isn't another shot through the heart, I don't know what is. The Eidos Deus Ex games weren't perfect—then again, blasphemous as it may be to say it, neither was the original—but they had their own charm, and I'll admit I was eager to see where it was taking Jensen's story after laying down some weird and intriguing loose plot threads in Mankind Divided.

But it looks like we wouldn't have gotten that even if Embracer's $2 billion mystery deal (reportedly with Saudi Arabia) hadn't fallen through and Eidos had been allowed to carry its now-cancelled Deus Ex to term, which suggests that the Jensen trilogy as a whole is simply dead and buried. Those games—and Deus Ex as a series—deserve better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom