Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read All what is left, it's the old photos (Let's Read: Maus)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Still doesn't make all that much sense. If anything, he should've made the brits Bulldogs.

Yes, but jews are too self-centered to think of anything other than the frame of their own narrative, and as such he didn't put much thoughts into the Brits as he did the ones who were "important" to his "story".

I also fail to see how any critic could ever give this pile of shit praise. I mean fuck, it's just a generic "holocaust" story. Not even that, it tells the story of an unbearable man who, if anybody, deserved to be shot in the face.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
I also fail to see how any critic could ever give this pile of shit praise. I mean fuck, it's just a generic "holocaust" story. Not even that, it tells the story of an unbearable man who, if anybody, deserved to be shot in the face.
Well there's the whole relationship with the father and...no point in bothering, damn Jews!

Everybody has a relationship with their father, mother, grandmother, grandfather etc etc etc. That doesn't make this comic special in any way. He might as well have written a biography.

The gist of your argument is: "Bu-but-but he was a holocaust survivor".

The gist of my reply: "Who gives a shit. My great grandfather fought in the winter war, and you don't see me doing a shitty comic about how all of his teeth shattered due to frost."

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
The gist of your argument is: "Bu-but-but he was a holocaust survivor".

The gist of my reply: "Who gives a shit. My great grandfather fought in the winter war, and you don't see me doing a shitty comic about how all of his teeth shattered due to frost."
Putting words in my mouth, how interesting. I don't intend to argue and derail the thread so wait for Vaarna and his reply to you.

I agreed to disagree with Quetonsilcuttertoejammer, but not with you, Baarnyard_Aarne!

I'm simply contesting the "greatness" of this comic. For me it's simply nothing special, and it has nothing to do with jews other than the statement that this comic gained accolade because of the mere mention of the holocaust. Kwazistan loves to be reminded of how they saved the world, after all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The reason why it's regarded as great is because it's a very, very different Holocaust book, and because it's an extremely intimate book. And of course, in terms of artistic structure and characterization it's masterful.

That it may be, but I still believe that the same results could be reaped if one included bits where they actually sat down and spoke to the guy who told them all of this shite to begin with. In that I'll agree that the author was ahead of his time.

Now don't put me in the dumbfuck concentration camp. I've got heartwarming proof that I don't belong there:

gpGFB.jpg

PS. Still love ya, Lawnyard_Aarne.

:love:

SoupNazi

I know you're just trolling in your stereotypically failed villainous ways, SV, but I would totally read a comic as well-written and characterized as this, if it was about your grandfather fighting in the Winter War with his teeth shattering from cold.

I'm not actually trolling, I just have a hard time bringing my point across because of my crippling assburgers. :(

PS. I have a copy of a journal one of his mates who ran border patrol made. I'd upload parts of that if I had a fucking scanner.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
An amazing comic, this, I can understand now why it's so highly thought of, even read in schools. The human characterization is outstanding, which is what brings it far beyond the normal "holocaust was bad, man" thing. Usually, it's just a bad statistic, here, it is more of a bad story. One of the better stories told about it, for sure.

Vaarna_Aarne, will you bother?
No, I will not sully myself with /gd/ bullshit outside of /gd/ (and that one /gd/ outpost thread).

Yeah, no kidding. Kind of a shame to read this on the Codex rather than a place where people just act like people. Easy to just dismiss it all as trolling, thankfully.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There's also the aspect that the story is also about Art's relationship with his father. It's also a far more melancholic and cynical book about the Holocaust than most of its peers (notice that this one says that nobody learned anything about the Holocaust and people still kill each other like before). The final page is extremely sad, as there's multiple layers to it. For example, we the readers know Vladek's "and we both lived happily ever after" ending just isn't how it all ended, as Anja had committed suicide ten years before Art began interviewing Vladek. Another, perhaps more touching, is the fact that in that page we also see Art's final defeat to the past: With that phrase his father said, comes the final confirmation that he had lost his father to Richieu and could never measure up to his ghost brother he'd never even known.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

Well, maybe you should. And if it's interesting and all, maybe you'll get praise for yours, too.

I also found the comic to be great and engrossing. Actually stayed up late last night to finish it. It's not that I love the holocaust stoy (I never even bothered to read Ann Frank's updated journal or any other such written accounts) but that the characters felt very real and, to a point, relatable. The father / son relationship struck close to home at various points and I could sometimes look back and wonder if this is how my conversations with my father might sound when seen from an outside perspective, and just how infuriating and nonsensical some discussions turn out to be.

It made me feel the horrible guilt/discomfort thing at times, and not because of the holocaust part, but rather from the idea that I could've done better for him had I been able to control myself. Of course, I also felt a sympathetic rage at those times when parents behave worse than their kids.

I think Sister Nun forget the fact that I am not people. It's incredibly hard for me to feel anything at all and this comic doesn't break through that barrier. What's left is a story about some guy who creates a comic to show how unappreciated he was which just so happens to be framed in world war 2. Does this mean I'm more of a low-brow comic reader? Perhaps. Does this mean that you're a hipster? Perhaps. It could mean anything, really, but what matters is that this wasn't my cup of tea and somehow people get butthurt about that and begins to wonder if I'm "trolling" or not.

Let me throw a knee-jerk reply to you lot just as you did me: Stop circlejerking and accept that some people doesn't/cannot appreciate this brand of heart-string plucking.

SoupNazi

I think Sister Nun forget the fact that I am not people. It's incredibly hard for me to feel anything at all and this comic doesn't break through that barrier. What's left is a story about some guy who creates a comic to show how unappreciated he was which just so happens to be framed in world war 2. Does this mean I'm more of a low-brow comic reader? Perhaps. Does this mean that you're a hipster? Perhaps. It could mean anything, really, but what matters is that this wasn't my cup of tea and somehow people get butthurt about that and begins to wonder if I'm "trolling" or not.

Let me throw a knee-jerk reply to you lot just as you did me: Stop circlejerking and accept that some people doesn't/cannot appreciate this brand of heart-string plucking.
There's a gigantic chasm between "some people don't like some things" and "this thing sucks and I don't get how can anyone like it".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom