Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Dark Messiah turned out to be p. cool

Vibalist

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
MetalCraze said:
My only real problem with it are flashing items (I wonder if it can be turned off)

My main complaint would be that fucking bitch. Y'all know which one, I wished so often I could shut her up. She's even more annoying on replays.

Heh, yeah. What was the greatest thing about Dark Messiah? Killing that bitch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Multidirectional said:
My main complaint would be that fucking bitch. Y'all know which one, I wished so often I could shut her up. She's even more annoying on replays.
Which one? There are two. Actually you can kill both. Too bad, I wanted to keep one of them as a pet.

BTW mages with fire sword are cruel.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah, DM is a good game. My biggest complaint is that it's too easy, even on hard difficulty. I'd love to see more similar games for the PC. I heard about some thing called Project Offset, which is also a fantasy first-person shooter/slasher but the last time I've seen/read something about it was 2 years ago so it's probably vaporware.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Suicidal said:
Yeah, DM is a good game. My biggest complaint is that it's too easy, even on hard difficulty. I'd love to see more similar games for the PC. I heard about some thing called Project Offset, which is also a fantasy first-person shooter/slasher but the last time I've seen/read something about it was 2 years ago so it's probably vaporware.

Nope, they... they moved forums earlier this year and everything! To smaller ones. Hosted on the Intel site. Which have died.

Yes.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Suicidal said:
Yeah, DM is a good game. My biggest complaint is that it's too easy, even on hard difficulty. I'd love to see more similar games for the PC.
They patched in a 'harcore' difficulity later. It is difficult. Most attacks 1 or 2 shot you ;)

RatFink

Educated
only had the german version...dont know why i bought the german version...
so not as much gore as it should have had but i still had fun, stealth killing assholes with daggers :smug:
quite nasty actually..sticking the dagger in the neck and wiggling it around

Suicidal

Arcane
Jaedar said:
Suicidal said:
Yeah, DM is a good game. My biggest complaint is that it's too easy, even on hard difficulty. I'd love to see more similar games for the PC.
They patched in a 'harcore' difficulity later. It is difficult. Most attacks 1 or 2 shot you ;)

Cool, I was planning to replay the game soon, will try this patch.

Luzur

Good Sir
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Suicidal said:

Nope, they... they moved forums earlier this year and everything! To smaller ones. Hosted on the Intel site. Which have died.

Yes.

browsing ubisoft DMM forums is like walking through nuked, abandoned ruins.

Educated
It wasn't that great. At first I thought it was, but then the ugly flaws of the game became apparent. Kicking! It was really overpowered, or, rather, fighting with swords and magic was underpowered. There was not much reason not to kick enemies all the time, and that spoiled the game for me. I played on hard difficulty, maybe it (proper fighting) was somewhat better on normal, but the game wasn't very hard even on hard and I dislike easy games.
Fuck kicking! Without it and with proper rebalancing the game could have been great. Alas, it's just mediocre.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I dunno. Kicking was quickly making my character tired so I didn't use any more often than any other attack. Which wasn't much of an issue in the demo. Maybe 1.2 patch fixed things.

Educated
I dunno. Kicking was quickly making my character tired so I didn't use any more often than any other attack.
One kick, one kill, man.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Spikes, fire, cliffs and whatnot are about 25% of levels if put together. And I imagine enemies just stood near them waiting till you come and kick them in from the first try.

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Spikes, fire, cliffs and whatnot are about 25% of levels if put together. And I imagine enemies just stood near them waiting till you come and kick them in from the first try.
You imagine wrong. I maneuvered them into deadly stuff, and it was clearly the most convinient way to kill enemies. Which I didn't like.
I recall that spikes, for instance, were everywhere.

Educated
Listen, if it were possible to kick enemies to death only in 25% of cases, then I would've liked the game very much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:

I never thought I should see this day; Skyway being apologetic.

There are lots, lots more. During som levels I almost never used anything else than the kick.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I also bought DMoMM after a similar thread we had the other day. Didn't have time to play it yet, but from what little I've seen it somewhat deserves a return from oblivion. Considering how how close it comes to Ultima Underworld (in some situations) it's painful to think this could have been Arx 2, or another Ultima Underworld like game ...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
You imagine right. And why did you have to say "imagine"? because you've never played the game?

Amazing. You go on a rampage criticizing games for flaws they do not have and the one time you praise a game for NOT having a flaw... guess what?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The game was shit. One may even say "banal and boring".

Sceptic said:
MetalCraze said:
You imagine right. And why did you have to say "imagine"? because you've never played the game?

Amazing. You go on a rampage criticizing games for flaws they do not have and the one time you praise a game for NOT having a flaw... guess what?
Exactly. Here is a good review written by suibhne (once a member of this fine forum):

http://www.firingsquad.com/matrix/blog. ... -player%29

"Another much-touted feature of Dark Messiah is its environmental interactivity, and this is a mixed bag. Yes, there's an embarrassment of riches when it comes to exploitable options: you can kill enemies with large boulders, boxes, massive statues, sarcophagi, fire, and even (rarely) siege engines. You can pick up and hurl crates, rocks, and mundane objects like pails, and they often (sometimes bizarrely) cause more damage than your sword. For that matter, you can frequently cut to the chase and kick enemies right off the edge of thousand-foot cliffs. There's no denying the fun behind all of this, but the sad fact is that spiked walls are even more ridiculously common than air ducts in Deus Ex; many of these hazards simply don't make sense. And once you learn to take advantage of this environmental weaponry, the combat can feel shallow.

Even at the hardest difficulty level, the stoutest (non-boss) enemies in the game are dispatched with a single kick into a spiked wall - and spiked walls, nonsensically, appear to be a perfectly ubiquitous architectural feature in Ashan. Your kick is limited by stamina, but it's still a powerful tactic. Also disappointing is that enemies don't use the environment as you do; they'll kick you in combat, but they never seem to kick you toward anything (like a firepit or spiked wall) or take advantage of environmental options like collapsible scaffoldings."

As the youngsters say, lol at skyway.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hurray, VD and Skyway will brawl again. I wonder how long it will take for VD to stop posting for a few weeks afterwards and pretend nothing happened.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't post as often as I'm used to. Yes, because of Skyway. His arguments are too strong. HOW CAN YOU DEFEAT SUCH A MAN?!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom