Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo with Hellfire vs Diablo 2 with LOD

diablo 1 vs diablo 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:
I prefer 1. It has more focus. People compare it to roguelikes but it's more of a Gauntlet clone, and a comfy one at that. The sequels spread themselves too thin and offer diminishing returns imo.

I replayed Diablo 1 a few times, it's a great game: short, atmospheric and replayable. One of the best gaming ost as well. It's just a tight game, like Fallout 1.

I finished Diablo 2 only one time, never wanted to replay it, it's just too long and repetitive, it was a chore to finish it and i had to grind to beat some bosses, mainly Duriel.

I'm not a fan of this genre though, too much mouse clicking for me, my hand hurts after a while. I guess for people who like this genre, they might prefer Diablo 2 for more content.

I would say i prefer the classes and their skills in Diablo 2, more variety and less bland. Everything else Diablo 1 did better.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
I recently beat Diablo Hellfire on Hell mode using a barb. All I did was simply ignore/avoid anything that tried to kite me, and bulldozed anything that came at me. I was around level 38 when I beat hell mode, and I think barb is probably one of the easier classes to do it, because they can hit for extreme damage with melee attacks due to the way the class scales up with weapon damage, and they can hit 3 tiles per swing. The downside is succubi and wizards are annoying to rush down, but the truth is that engaging them is a choice, and usually not a requirement. Leoric drops a helmet (guaranteed drop) that gives +15% life leech, as long as barb is landing hits, they pretty much can't die. Getting 1% resist all per level makes them easier to gear as well, you only need 1 solid piece with resist all to hit cap. For the weapon you want hit % increase, and attack speed, because barb needs hit %. I had around 160% to hit on my barb and he never missed an attack in hell mode. I'd argue it's the easiest or second easiest class to solo hell mode with. Also, I used no spells on my barb.

DemonKing

Arcane
I think I beat Diablo 1 with every class - loved the atmosphere. 2 was just too boring and repetitive. I finished it once and never looked back.

Diablo 1, no hellfire.
What's wrong with Hellfire? from what i know it allowed you to walk faster in towns (which was a great qol),, added two optional dungeons(they're good but nothing amazing, great music though), new class, quests and a bunch of items. You can change difficulty from the start.

I can not see a reason to ever go back to vanilla unless i missing something out that 'ruined' the vanilla experience.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Garbage poll, op. Sorry for being blunt.

Why there's no option to vote for merely Diablo I / Diablo II ?? Why would you refuse to add these options?

Diablo: Hellfire isn't even an in-house product, for Pete's sake!

somerandomdude

Learned
I liked some of the classes they added in Hellfire, and it didn't take anything away from the original, and only added more to it. In the original D1, you needed multiplayer or LAN to access nightmare and hell modes, and in Hellfire, you can just straight up choose it in single player. The scaling was changed to where hell mode in hellfire was actually tougher, at least the low tier enemies had beefier HP amounts in Hellfire hell mode, so nobody can say that Hellfire dumbed the game down in any way. Sorcerer is the most powerful class in the original and in Hellfire. All Hellfire did was give some better non-sorcerer class options.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I’ve always loved the ‘metal’ Gothic, demon-slaying crusader experience of Diablo 2 when playing slowly as a Paladin. Seeing how other people choose to play it, though, it looks terrible.
Diablo 1, wisely, mostly refuses to give you the freedom to ruin your own experience.

retardgrand

Novice
Diablo 2 feels like an mmorpg lite. Designed around boring grinding and endless combat that sucks ass. Nearly every encounter is the same, mindless boring bashing of endless hordes from which you don't get anything. Probably the only way to die is if you don't pay attention and get nukem in 2 seconds.

Diablo 1 feels like a unique (if super simplified) take on a classic dungeon crawler. The combat is slower, you need to think about engaging the enemies - if you just play like a dumbass, you might get easily stunlocked, even if it takes like 10 seconds for the enemies to kill you. You can't just randomly outrun nearly anything you want like in Diablo 2. The "roguelike" aspects are also wastly superior - you get different quests on each run, you might not encounter all possible enemies in a single run and the limited resources make it so your equipment will also be somewhat different. This also makes you want to explore each level completely, since XP and items are finite, whereas Diablo 2 will probably degrade to just speeding from dungeon to dungeon, not wanting to engage in combat cause there is no point.

It's pretty depressing how basically the entire genre chose to follow D2 and barely anyone even recognizes the differences from D1.

Also D1 grid movement > D2 continuous movement

RuySan

Augur
I prefer 1. It has more focus. People compare it to roguelikes but it's more of a Gauntlet clone, and a comfy one at that. The sequels spread themselves too thin and offer diminishing returns imo.
I get the sentiment, but being mouse controlled gives it a completely feel compared to gauntlet. Grim dawn and current Poe with controller input gives me more of that gauntlet feel.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
1 is an RPG
2 is an action RPG with heavier emphasis on grinding, less story and more roguelike shit.

Of course we'll prefer 1. The cattle likes D2 more.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Nice to see Diablo 1 has more votes. Codex is based as ever.

As other people said, too much trash mob action in Diablo 2. Diablo 1 is designed in a way that killing every single enemy feels satisfying, while in Diablo 2, the action is just mindless. Also the atmosphere is perfect, while D2 has no atmosphere.

I think Diablo 2's build/class system is really good and for that reason alone, you can never call it shit. But D1 is a better experience. Also Diablo 2's influence on RPGs was terrible.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I prefer Diablo 1 but i played Diablo 2 more, whatever the says about either game. Diablo 1 is something i wish to "experience" so whenever i play it i have to make sure i feel ready to absorb it and savor it. Diablo 2 is just to satisfy my raw loot addiction and the online system was more friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom