Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Ecumene Aztec - action-RPG where you play an Aztec warrior fighting against conquistadors

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

FxvUkOwX0AAZfbn

FxvAlVcXoAEekuU

Last edited by a moderator:

Skorpion

Educated
So you have to stare at a guy wearing a cloth diaper/thong the entire game?
That will be a no from me bob.

tastywaffles

Literate
Did Aztecs really just have no body hair whatsoever? Considering how hairy even the women from that region are, I have doubts.

Modron

Arcane
According to the codex big brains you're gay for not wanting to stare at man ass for tens of hours.

I always dislike in how modern media depictions it's only the Spanish sacking Aztec cities when most of the time Cortez led less than a thousand spaniards and usually had a larger accompaniment of indigineous warriors with him.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I do appreciate the instantaneous backpeddling as they realized people weren't here for their brand of revisionist history. (Other brands, sure, but not this one!)

Beastro

Arcane
According to the codex big brains you're gay for not wanting to stare at man ass for tens of hours.

I always dislike in how modern media depictions it's only the Spanish sacking Aztec cities when most of the time Cortez led less than a thousand spaniards and usually had a larger accompaniment of indigineous warriors with him.
And don't go into the reasons why they all were a powderkeg ready to light up at a moments notice thanks to the arrival of a tiny bunch of Spaniards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

:butthurt: https://archive.is/JH8rc

Spanish fascists stole a game publisher’s domain​

The domain currently features imagery linked to far-right movements in Spain and South America, as well as a link to a page that includes 4chan-esque memes promoting Spanish white nationalism.

Last week, IGN featured a game called Ecumene Aztec — in which you play as an Aztec warrior going full guerrilla warfare on Spanish conquistadors. In the wake of this IGN profile, Ecumene Aztec’s developers have been harassed by far-right extremists, including having the website associated with the publisher stolen by far-right trolls, who then made it into a page promoting Spanish imperialism.

In the initial write-up for the game, IGN named Giantscraft as Ecumene Aztec’s developer and publisher. Giantscraft is also listed as the publisher on press materials for the game that The Verge has obtained. There are no links to Giantscraft’s site on IGN’s article, but searching for Giantscraft reveals a single Instagram page.

On this Instagram page, Ecumene Aztec does not appear; instead, the page features a link to the website giantscraft.com. Upon visiting the website, users are greeted with an extremely bare-bones site for a game publisher, featuring a quote attributed to Hernán Cortés — one of the conquistadors responsible for the destruction of Tenochtitlan and the enslavement of its people — as well as a giant image of the Cross of Burgundy — heraldry linked to Spanish royalists, far-right South American extremists, and Nazis. Also featured on the page is a link to another Instagram page that is very clearly a kind of “anti-woke” 4chan-esque account filled with memes celebrating Spanish imperialism.

To be clear, Giantscraft does not appear to be affiliated with the Spanish far right. A translation of a post on the fascist Instagram page suggests that Giantscraft did not reserve the domain giantscraft.com and, after the reveal of Ecumene Aztec, an opportunist swiped the domain and set up what is essentially a Spanish Imperial fan page. The Verge reached out to Giantscraft and its PR, and a PR spokesperson confirmed this via email, writing that “since the announcement they have been under assault from hard right groups” and that the domain was taken shortly after Aztec’s announcement. Due to apparent death threats the development team has received, we are granting the PR spokesperson anonymity.

Ecumenegames.com is the publisher’s official website, with its PR spokesperson claiming that the publisher was in the midst of a name change to Ecumene Games when all this happened.

On social media, Ecumene Aztec received a mixed response. Some praised the overall concept of the game — after all, there are very few games in which conquered peoples get the opportunity to fight back against their historical oppressors — while others derided the game’s stereotypical take on Aztec civilization featuring an ahistorical depiction of Tenochtitlan and human sacrifice built into the game’s mechanics. Another subset of detractors were upset that you couldn’t play as the Spanish.

The criticism of the game seemed enough to prompt the developers to update its scope. In an update on the game’s Steam page, the developers wrote that they would rework the game to allow players to choose to work with the conquistadors as well as implement additional features to make the game more historically accurate.

In a statement made through its PR, the developers of Ecumene Aztec said the change in scope was due to asks from the community.

“It was not planned. However we saw that about 40 percent of [the] audience says that [they] would like to have [the] choice to join [the] conquistadors, so we might actually try to give this possibility. The game is not political in anyway and never will be, it is history FICTION.”

Unfortunately, this statement from Ecumene Games is an example of yet another developer falling for the trap of declaring what is very obviously a political game not political.

lol. Sure is a whole lot of drama over some PlayWare-tier vaporware, though. (Actually, I'm expecting to discover that it literally is a PlayWay game)

21Baron

Literate
Until I actually saw the Steam page, I was sure this was just an elaborated troll campaign to just throw more gasoline in the [current year] fire.

Not that it improves the already horrible impression it made on pretty much everyone. I just hope they release some rainbow loincloth DLC, shrunken-head trinket pack and War Dog Pupperino™ companion for some absurd price just to really drive the point home.

Reinhardt

Arcane
what happened to "latinx bipoc of color"? suddenly it's "spanish white nationalism"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom