Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Tarkov

Gerrard

Arcane
Some based dude blowing "muh realism" tarkovcucks the fuck out.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Seems like Veritas is happy now.

For me the fundamental issue can be summarized in the most voted comment in the video you posted.
Tarkov feels like a full time job made for streamers rather than fans.
I'm happy for the fans that they fixed the valid points of Veritas, but I think that this game is hard to be enjoyed by normal people due to the meta progression.

In a normal multiplayer FPS like Counter Strike or COD, you are going to be stomped by pros and people playing 8 hours a day, but at least you start the game with the same equipment.

In Dayz, a game with real permadeath, everyone lose everything on death, tough but fair.

In Tarkov you have to deal with an equipment disadvantage from meta-progression from people that plays insane amounts of time, and even have access to bigger containers than allow you to keep some stuff on death.

My solution would be to make COOP and single player progression servers. So people can play the game at its own pace. The problem here is the game is not fun that way. I tried SP Tarkov mod for a while, but it's a dull experience, because the game is PvP and "streamer" designed.

Or maybe they could implement matchmaking systems, so people of similar skill level are put together. Or maybe make some maps just unrewarding to highly equipped people, so they are populated with noobs and people that have no progressed a lot yet in the season.

The quests are designed around streamers playing 10 h/day not completing them in 2 days after a wipe, so they are boring/frustrating/grindy for regular people. No thought put in them being interested, just to be slow to clear. So people don't quit shortly after a wipe.

To add to the frustration you can be put as a lone wolf with highly coordinated enemy teams. Why not make separated lone wolf servers and team servers?

I hope some day they make a proper SP Tarkov game improving what Stalker was.

Last edited:

kinzadza

Scholar

For me the fundamental issue can be summarized in the most voted comment in the video you posted.
I'm happy for the fans that they fixed the valid points of Veritas, but I think that this game is hard to be enjoyed by normal people due to the meta progression.

In a normal multiplayer FPS like Counter Strike or COD, you are going to be stomped by pros and people playing 8 hours a day, but at least you start the game with the same equipment.

In Dayz, a game with real permadeath, everyone lose everything on death, tough but fair.

In Tarkov you have to deal with an equipment disadvantage from meta-progression from people that plays insane amounts of time, and even have access to bigger containers than allow you to keep some stuff on death.

My solution would be to make COOP and single player progression servers. So people can play the game at its own pace. The problem here is the game is not fun that way. I tried SP Tarkov mod for a while, but it's a dull experience, because the game is PvP and "streamer" designed.

Or maybe they could implement matchmaking systems, so people of similar skill level are put together. Or maybe make some maps just unrewarding to highly equipped people, so they are populated with noobs and people that have no progressed a lot yet in the season.

The quests are designed around streamers playing 10 h/day not completing them in 2 days after a wipe, so they are boring/frustrating/grindy for regular people. No thought put in them being interested, just to be slow to clear. So people don't quit shortly after a wipe.

To add to the frustration you can be put as a lone wolf with highly coordinated enemy teams. Why not make separated lone wolf servers and team servers?

Dude u are complaining about people owning you because they've got more time to play? Welcome to every competitive game in existence.

This reminds me of wow where people complained how they can't get raid gear cuz they "dont have time to raid", and then blizz slowly but surely enabled every retard to get muh epic gear. What's the point then? whats the point in having such gear if every noob on the planet can get it in no time? IF you dont have time to play a few raids a week, then FUCK OFF.

Real life example: Dude i wish i could drive that new car. It's not fair that dude who runs a company and works 24/7 can afford that car, and i can't with my 8-hour workday. It's so unfair, why does life suck ? Why can't i be super rich with minimal time investment?

STOP. FUCKING. WHINING.

It's ruining gaming. Its ruining your fun, my fun, and everyone else's fun.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Dude u are complaining about people owning you because they've got more time to play? Welcome to every competitive game in existence.

This reminds me of wow where people complained how they can't get raid gear cuz they "dont have time to raid", and then blizz slowly but surely enabled every retard to get muh epic gear. What's the point then? whats the point in having such gear if every noob on the planet can get it in no time? IF you dont have time to play a few raids a week, then FUCK OFF.

Real life example: Dude i wish i could drive that new car. It's not fair that dude who runs a company and works 24/7 can afford that car, and i can't with my 8-hour workday. It's so unfair, why does life suck ? Why can't i be super rich with minimal time investment?

STOP. FUCKING. WHINING.

I just explained why I quit playing years ago. I didn't ruin anything for me or you with that post.

Irrational behavior is people not enjoying the game, and still playing a lot of hours and complaining. I moved on long ago, and just pay some attention from time to time because I think the game has cool things in it.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sorry bro just venting my frustrations. I dont even play Tarkov lul
Haha, it's fine. I know there are a lot of scrubs complaining. I respect competitive gaming and is true that you have to put hours to win, as it should be.

Just found that Tarkov PvP has a lot of problems to be a satisfactory competitive experience unlike CS or fighting games, etc.

Victor1234

Educated
Sorry bro just venting my frustrations. I dont even play Tarkov lul
Haha, it's fine. I know there are a lot of scrubs complaining. I respect competitive gaming and is true that you have to put hours to win, as it should be.

Just found that Tarkov PvP has a lot of problems to be a satisfactory competitive experience unlike CS or fighting games, etc.
Why would you ever play this game for the PvP? If you don't like it with the Singleplayer mods offline, I wouldn't play it at all.

Aside from the broken by design client side anti-cheat system, instead of server side like everyone else does, there are tons of people/ways that cheese the game.

In no particular order:
Some stats give you unbalanced boosts to health/bullet sponging, cue dudes that go into a small room to literally hit each other with axes, heal and hit each other again to grind those stats.

Cue solo dudes that jump into an environmental fire, heal and jump in again to grind stats.

There's a 'sherpa' program that is supposed to be elite players teaming up with newbies on raids to help them learn the game in return for better equipment/loot in game. To the surprise of no one, they've been caught selling their services for real cash as well as collecting the in game reward (here dude, I killed this guy 99% of the way for you, now you shoot him one last time so you get the credit and level up).

Streamers that use their viewers to grind their stats/do quests. I watched a streamer's rant about cheating lately. There's some quest where you have to kill 20 dudes in a specific area of the map. He was in this area and found 8 dudes with no gear just standing around, waiting for the streamer cheater to come kill them all at once and get the quest done faster. He killed them instead and then the original streamer came by to cuss him out for stealing his kills...

If I recall, there's something called Tarkov Arena that's supposed to be a mode where the PvP will go and the rest of the online game will become coop, while the stated goal is still to gather money for a singleplayer standalone game that's supposed to be under development, but who knows...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Real life example: Dude i wish i could drive that new car. It's not fair that dude who runs a company and works 24/7 can afford that car, and i can't with my 8-hour workday.

Here's someone with breath that smells like boot leather.

There are some people who are wealthy because they studied hard and work even harder, but there are many more who are wealthy because they were born into the elite caste. The idea that rich people work harder than poor people and that that's why they're rich is a myth that the elite use to shield themselves from the reality of their situation, which is self-interested parasitism and exploitation. There are countless poor who work 12+ hours per day for decades, and then die still poor.

The majority of billionaires in today's world demonstrably inherited millions of dollars at the very least. Several of them are CEOs of multiple companies, including Jeff Bezos, who once gave a speech in which he described "making a few quality decisions per day" (he could also take a six-month sabbatical and the result would be about the same). It's all about who you know, what office you're sitting in, your pedigree, and other forms of luck, same as it's always been.

Truly incredible how hard CEOs work, and even more incredible that these CEOs can just buy more companies and be CEO x3, x4, etc. How do they do triple and quadruple the already huge workload, I wonder? Dare I suggest it's because they have no real workload, and their minions and employees do all the work whilst they issue edicts here and there?

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

STOP. FUCKING. WHINING.

When you start a competitive hobby like football you don't go against barcelona at your first match, but against your local football team most likely from small town. Without matchmaking, the exact retardness of going against barcelona is happening in tarkov. Similar problem existed in WoT, people who were in favor of no matchmaking were usually retarded pay daddies with gold ammo liking the "seal clubbing" as they called using low tier kitted vehicles against new players, to pad their egos. This is the kind of "grown up" people we talk about.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
So there's some more drama going on, this time involving the rampant cheating in this game.
A youtuber posted a video of himself getting a cheat and going in lobbies and trying to find other cheaters to see how prevalent it is. He would basically stalk other players from a distance for long periods of time to see if they would notice (and track on him) and would wiggle while out of sight to see if they would wiggle back. He would also try to make them confirm that they're cheating over VOIP asking them info that they wouldn't be able to know without cheating.
In the end he found about 60% of the lobbies had at least one cheater in it but the number is probably higher since his method is flawed.

The video is 40 min long but the second half is just him talking with some other youtuber.
Apparently reddit is in full lockdown mode and deleting all threads linking/discussing the video which isn't exactly surprising.
I'm sure Nikita won't blatantly ignore this problem again or put out a band-aid announcement/fix like he did in the past. /s

So there's some more drama going on, this time involving the rampant cheating in this game.
A youtuber posted a video of himself getting a cheat and going in lobbies and trying to find other cheaters to see how prevalent it is. He would basically stalk other players from a distance for long periods of time to see if they would notice (and track on him) and would wiggle while out of sight to see if they would wiggle back. He would also try to make them confirm that they're cheating over VOIP asking them info that they wouldn't be able to know without cheating.
In the end he found about 60% of the lobbies had at least one cheater in it but the number is probably higher since his method is flawed.

The video is 40 min long but the second half is just him talking with some other youtuber.
Apparently reddit is in full lockdown mode and deleting all threads linking/discussing the video which isn't exactly surprising.
I'm sure Nikita won't blatantly ignore this problem again or put out a band-aid announcement/fix like he did in the past. /s

in my experience it's based on time of day, but yeah sometimes every other lobby has a cheater that runs directly to players without a care in the world and beams them instantly. the worst ones were chinese players with kd over 20. how do i know this? i cheated too :lol:

the ball is in the court of the devs to actually do their job/due diligence and start doing stat based tracking like rust. very high kd's are the easiest tell, but people don't get banned for it. you also don't get banned for looting only items worth 75k and above, like bit coins. it would be VERY easy to solve the cheating problem, but they just don't do it - presumably because a large portion of their sales are from banned cheaters buying the game again. in a game like tarkov it's easy for the devs to hide behind the low TTK and how hard it is to stay alive. most of the time you just can't tell if you were bullshitted or not. the fact that streamers can get legit players banned just by using their direct line to developers shows you how little effort it takes for a dev to actually pull the trigger - they just don't care to, unless a public case like a streamer whining makes them look bad.

Last edited:

mck

Cipher
tarkov fans get very upset when you point out how obviously the developers benefit monetarily from the hacking and RWT scene.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
A lot of drama over that video it seems, but people losing faith in BSG (for multiple adjacent reasons) seems to actually be kicking Nikita into directly talking to people a lot more.

Seems to be answering Qs daily (originally in the previous thread he linked), and stated an intent to publish a "roadmap" for better communication with the playerbase. Didn't think anything would ever teach BSG to improve their comms, but who knows, this might just be it.

tarkov fans get very upset when you point out how obviously the developers benefit monetarily from the hacking and RWT scene.
Do they though? A lot of this stuff is paid for with stolen credit cards, so they'd get chargebacks.

This game is still in Beta?
'Beta' was never the correct term for it, but yes, it is still in the same phase BSG labelled as a 'beta' (i.e. unfinished, still implementing major systems).

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
That it's taken this long for the lid to be lifted on just how prolific the cheating is in Tarkov blows my mind. I knew about this shit years ago, it's partly why I stopped playing it. What really blows my mind specifically is that it took this long for someone to do the most obvious fucking research angle in the world, which is go to the cheaters themselves. They aren't shy, it's not clandestine - it's a huge business.

And of course, despite the almost irrefutable evidence, some of the fanbase are still in denial and some are absurdly upset that the popularity of the game will be damaged, rather than being even the least bit upset about the integrity of a game they are wasting a profound amount of their life on. I would love to laugh in the face of the BSG cockslurpers who would try to dominate the forum with this nonsense that it was just highly skilled players.

BSG is not prepared to do what is necessary, which is have some form of playback, and to allow players to host their own private servers with whitelists.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
some of the fanbase are still in denial
Huh? I've never talked to anyone that didn't think cheating was one of the biggest problems facing Tarkov, so where do you see this stuff? Sure isn't reddit or w/e, those people complain in between every breath; and here on codex people rarely express a strong opinion one way or the other on most things.

What really blows my mind specifically is that it took this long for someone to do the most obvious fucking research angle in the world
Also people have looked into this before, but I think pest's angle on it all is pretty apt.

tl;dr -- any "content creator" dependent on tarkov as an audience risks being cut out for blatant ToS violations, and potentially even legal issues if handled badly.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What? Surely this needs some type of parameter added to it. Either that or you really need to read more threads. :lol:
... in this thread, lol. People mouth off about EFT elsewhere on the site but they usually don't seem very familiar with it (or were only in the past tense).
I deal with EFTs every day. Why would someone have strong opinions about modern banking systems?

:philosoraptor:

Buying EoD is one of my biggest gaming regrets. I deserve the dumbfuck tag for that alone. I regret spending hundreds of dollars on League skins as a lad less because at least I got some dopamine out of it at the time, even though League is a massive piece of shit and has done severe damage to gaming. (ARTS as a genre sucks dick.) EfT is a complete piece of shit chore (calling it a game implies it's fun, when it's really just boring unpaid labor) that gets worse every patch and the faggot tacticool throaters who prop this dogshit up are just as much of a stain on the industry as the dudebros who buy every new niggerball yearly reheat. GTFO of gaming and GTFO of my local gunstore with your $8000 AR that you never shoot but also never shut the fuck up about. You deserve to get killed by hackers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom