Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

Dayyālu

Arcane
is that part of the remake? if yes, then no. I played the original.
I just killed the Awakened and the Takers because as a shaper I didn't like their philosphy. I would have spared the Obeyers if they'd have obeyed me, but they were scared of me after I used the Geneforge and said I strayed from the true path.

That's... a very post-Geneforge thing to do. I don't remember how the council takes you using the Geneforge, or if you go medieval on them when you return. Geneforge 2 is more of the same, be careful about burnout. Gameplay is not varied enough to sustain massive play if you're going back-to-back and feel tired already.

GandGolf

Augur
finished Geneforge 1. epic game, maybe even top 10 RPGs of all time quality.
I killed everyone - the Awakened, the Obeyers, the Takers. both Goettsch and Trajkov. used the Geneforge and killed all the Scholai surrounding the Geneforge. I would have spared the Obeyers, if they'd been willing to serve me, but they didn't like my using the Geneforge.
the Fallout-esque ending slides were very nice! I'm thrilled to see how it continues in Geneforge 2!
Did you do the new quest to kill all the Serviles?
is that part of the remake? if yes, then no. I played the original.
I just killed the Awakened and the Takers because as a shaper I didn't like their philosphy. I would have spared the Obeyers if they'd have obeyed me, but they were scared of me after I used the Geneforge and said I strayed from the true path.
Yeah, that was some of the new content in Mutagen.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I just finished this game after what felt like an eternity. My playthrough was a Shaper focusing on battle and magic shaping. Normally I play as martial classes in RPGs but I figured a Shaper would be more interesting due to their primacy in the setting. After quite the painful adjustment period, mostly caused by insisting on treating my creations as undisposable, I eventually managed to fight my way through the game and destroy the Geneforge before Trajkov could use it. I was ready to be done with the game at this point so I decided to ignore Goettsch and leave Sucia Island. Surprising to see the game did not bring that up in the ending slides. Overall I found the game to be a mixed bag, sure the world building and underlying systems are good but there are so many other aspects that I think needs changed. The biggest offenders being combat, lack of simulation aspects, and the low quality art assets. However, if these things were changed I know Jeff Vogel would have had to compromise and cheap out somewhere else thus potentially making the game worse off. Quite the conundrum.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How I get Drayk? Got every single creation except it

tkBIlnL.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Found. Finally with my cryodrayk :love:

y6hkPOW.png
RxlYGGU.png

This game is so spectacular. The idea of mages able to create lives and all moral dilemmas which it generates is so interesting. I was in doubt between following Obeyers of Awaken(takers = commies) and decided to go Awaken. The fact htat you are just a mage with the ability to create life exploring a mysterious abandoned Island instead of a hero trying to save the world makes the game so much better imo. We need more interesting stuff like that.

BTW, 30 hours in and seems like I"m far from ending the game. Lv 14 at moment.

Elthosian

Arcane
Is the remake of the first one worth playing, or should I wait for the Geneforge 2 remake to be released? FWIW, I played Geneforge 2 back in the day but I didn't get to finish (put over 40 hours into it though) and don't want to burn out by playing them so close to each other, but I tried Infestation's demo and now I'm too hyped to wait a month for a full dose of Geneforge :kingcomrade: I did buy Mutagen last year to support Jeff so money wouldn't be a concern here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is the remake of the first one worth playing, or should I wait for the Geneforge 2 remake to be released?

I honestly liked G1 more than G2. The remake, some things I liked like the better graphics but some I din't liked and honestly found the remake much easier. For eg, in original if you don't give at least 2 int to your creations, they can't be given orders/controlled your creations also have much more abilities, giving domination and cone attack to few of them can trivialize some relative harsh encounters.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm going for hard hitting Shaper Build focusing on Fire & Battle Creations + Boosting Essence when I can (and throwing in Mechanics with the rest, I started with Leadership but decided against).

Will I have any problems not dividing up between all 3 (i.e. Magic Creations) if I build my others well? I'm only lvl7 so I can course correct.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO is better to focus only in one or two creation types. Fire is great only in end game when you get Drakyr. Battle is better a bit early but you have no ranged options with battle alpha/beta.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I went all 3. I found battle makes the best melee, magic makes the best ranged, and fire is in between the two. If I were to only pick two, I'd probably do battle and magic. If I were only to pick one, I'd go fire.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
they can't be given orders/controlled your creations also have much more abilities, giving domination and cone attack to few of them can trivialize some relative harsh encounters.
I didn't play the original so can't comment but I was destroying bosses way above my level in 2-3 turns by stacking poison/acid which & cheesing movement. Which...fuck it, I love to cheese games I won't complain. 1 sear + scorpions and I killed the Ascended prisoner in 2 turns.

Just finished, what an amazing game that was. Used the Geneforge, slaughtered all the towns but the Obeyers, slaughtered Trojkov & Goettsch. Went full shaper build route with mechanics on the side. 100% going back tomorrow to see the "destroy" ending, and going into that Shaper Crypt with the new stats because fuck me that was brutal going through, I went at like level 14 and was wondering why wave after wave was being sent to me.

I'm guessing Spiderweb Software games are pretty much the same game to game, yeah? I'm definitely not going to jump straight into another, but it's nice to know I have them in my rotation now when I don't know what to play.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm guessing Spiderweb Software games are pretty much the same game to game, yeah? I'm definitely not going to jump straight into another, but it's nice to know I have them in my rotation now when I don't know what to play.

From series to series like Geneforge compared to Exile/Avernum? No, the games are rather different. Within a single series? Mostly, yeah. He'll usually change things up a bit, but it'll largely be similar. Your typical sequels.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished, what an amazing game that was. Used the Geneforge, slaughtered all the towns but the Obeyers, slaughtered Trojkov & Goettsch. Went full shaper build route with mechanics on the side. 100% going back tomorrow to see the "destroy" ending, and going into that Shaper Crypt with the new stats because fuck me that was brutal going through, I went at like level 14 and was wondering why wave after wave was being sent to me.

Geneforge is probably the best series produced by Spiderweb, especially if you liked summoning creatures and engaging with different factions and interesting political/ethical questions. If you wanted a different series, I would probably recommend Avadon. It involves different factions and some political and ethical questions, although it has a much different setting and it's a bit more linear. I enjoyed the first and third in the series, but felt that 2 was too long-winded and full of trash mobs. All the Geneforges are good honestly. 3 was probably the weakest, but whatever. the remake of 2 will be out in a fortnight or so.

OSK

Arcane
Patron

Geneforge is probably the best series produced by Spiderweb, especially if you liked summoning creatures and engaging with different factions and interesting political/ethical questions. If you wanted a different series, I would probably recommend Avadon. It involves different factions and some political and ethical questions, although it has a much different setting and it's a bit more linear. I enjoyed the first and third in the series, but felt that 2 was too long-winded and full of trash mobs. All the Geneforges are good honestly. 3 was probably the weakest, but whatever. the remake of 2 will be out in a fortnight or so.

I couldn't finish Avadon. Avadon was when I felt like he stopped making games I was interested in.

I'd recommend Exile/Avernum if you wanted to try another Vogel series. Nethergate is pretty solid too, but I don't think it's quite up there with Exile/Avernum and Geneforge.

I meant more in terms of assets/structure it's similar, yeah?

Anyways, from what I gathered I will probably continue through the Geneforge saga whenever I'm in the mood for Spiderweb games until I finish them all.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I couldn't finish Avadon. Avadon was when I felt like he stopped making games I was interested in.

I'd recommend Exile/Avernum if you wanted to try another Vogel series. Nethergate is pretty solid too, but I don't think it's quite up there with Exile/Avernum and Geneforge.

Avernum just felt like a linear grind. If you're in love with spiderweb combat it's probably great, as long as you like the particular skills and spells in that series. I quickly found them mindless and boring, although I did enjoy finishing escape from the pit.

Nethergate had a top tier theme and was very enjoyable, but quite linear beyond initially choosing a side. I enjoyed it a lot and put it above the avernums.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Avernum just felt like a linear grind. If you're in love with spiderweb combat it's probably great, as long as you like the particular skills and spells in that series. I quickly found them mindless and boring, although I did enjoy finishing escape from the pit.

I can understand calling the games a grind if you don't enjoy the combat... but linear!? The games feature large, open worlds with tons of exploration and optional content. Outside of some key story parts, the only gatekeeping is the difficulty of encounters. The second one of the original trilogy is the most railroaded and story-focused, but even that is more open than most RPGs.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

I can understand calling the games a grind if you don't enjoy the combat... but linear!? The games feature large, open worlds with tons of exploration and optional content. Outside of some key story parts, the only gatekeeping is the difficulty of encounters. The second one of the original trilogy is the most railroaded and story-focused, but even that is more open than most RPGs.
Focus on 1, 2, and 3.

1, I completed and I don't consider too linear. It does lack in factions/sides, but the empire is sort of present and you can side with them so ok good enough. Also you can explore in multiple directions and have fun, it's not like you're overly railroaded by level requirements.

2, pure linearity and lack of any faction dynamics as far as I discovered. I went down into the deep caves and found the spoilers, then came back to get the crystals, stopped caring.

3, I don't remember, something about being under the gun because if you play too slow then stuff breaks. I think you're railroaded plot/faction wise, but honestly I don't remember.

Also I just don't care for avernum combat and mechanics. Geneforge and Avadon were both better in very different ways. They also had better theme/story and questions to consider. Ooh nooo I'm a criminal I got transported to a cave and want to get out waaaa fuck off

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Focus on 1, 2, and 3.

1, I completed and I don't consider too linear. It does lack in factions/sides, but the empire is sort of present and you can side with them so ok good enough. Also you can explore in multiple directions and have fun, it's not like you're overly railroaded by level requirements.

2, pure linearity and lack of any faction dynamics as far as I discovered. I went down into the deep caves and found the spoilers, then came back to get the crystals, stopped caring.

3, I don't remember, something about being under the gun because if you play too slow then stuff breaks. I think you're railroaded plot/faction wise, but honestly I don't remember.

Also I just don't care for avernum combat and mechanics. Geneforge and Avadon were both better in very different ways. They also had better theme/story and questions to consider. Ooh nooo I'm a criminal I got transported to a cave and want to get out waaaa fuck off

I think you're conflating non-linearity with choices and consequences when they're two different ideas. The Exile/Avernum games don't have a lot of C&C. They're heavily inspired by the Ultima series, but with a bigger focus on exploration. To me, Avadon felt like Vogel's attempt at a Bioware type game with a bigger focus on story and pre-made characters for party members.

Litmanen

Educated
Focus on 1, 2, and 3.

I think you're conflating non-linearity with choices and consequences when they're two different ideas. The Exile/Avernum games don't have a lot of C&C.
Oh, thank you. I'm reading all the threads about these games and no one ever speaks of that, C&C.

So, not a lot of C&C to change a little bit the game.

Neither in Avernum, nor Avadon, nor Geneforge?

Focus on 1, 2, and 3.

I think you're conflating non-linearity with choices and consequences when they're two different ideas. The Exile/Avernum games don't have a lot of C&C.
Oh, thank you. I'm reading all the threads about these games and no one ever speaks of that, C&C.

So, not a lot of C&C to change a little bit the game.

Neither in Avernum, nor Avadon, nor Geneforge?
Geneforge does; can't comment on the others

OSK

Arcane
Patron

If you like C&C, play the Geneforge series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom