Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box Gold Box & other SSI D&D classics released on Steam & GOG

Them being good is one thing, but as I said in another thread I'd wait until we get confirmation on the bug situation. I remember Spelljammer being infamous for its bugs. Other than that, it's always nice to have D&D games that aren't FR.... AGAIN.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Games like this always make me wonder "what went wrong?"

In theory this could have been an early action RPG/FPS hybrid, somewhere between Hexen and Ultima Underworld and remembered fondly nowadays. There was clearly some effort put into making it, with all the animations, voice acting, monster variety and (IIRC) 24 large levels where even from the first level you have to use the automap to orient yourself. There is inventory management, spell lists, being able to equip different armor pieces in various body parts, different melee and ranged weapons (magic or not), etc, the core elements were there in some form.

But in practice it all feels so janky, the speed is all over the place even on slow hardware and your immediate threat isn't the enemies but the controls and the very narrow FOV. That the first level has ice floor that slides you around before you even get to familiarize yourself with the - almost broken - controls doesn't help it at all. This weird mix of effort and lack of effort is demonstrated perfectly when you die: on one hand they put the effort to record a laugh track (for the big bad enemy) with several variations, on the other hand after dying and looking upwards you can often just keep turning and walk around while the screen fades out.

I've read some comments from people who played the 3DO version saying they spent a lot of time with the game, so i wonder if it is the PC version that was bad. In which case i wonder if the GOG release will be the PC version or they'll bundle the 3DO version with some emulator.

Though really the best would be to do a Nightdive-like remaster/rework and try to fix the engine with better controls, FOV options and smooth framerate.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It'll be PC only is my guess. I was also surprised Slayer never hit PC.

I recall feeling a bit let down on Descent to Undermountain and the New Pool of Radiance. I started to think it was just going to be decline from then on. DTU looked pretty good when generating your toon but gameplay tanked. I really laughed at the game breaking speed run I saw. Damn pity considering I own the original pnp ROU.

SpoonFULL

Educated
Spelljammer premise look interesting. The rest look and feel awkward and waste of money and time - done much better in later games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, they are all uh.... well.... meh to say it best.

It would be like watching

Last edited:
Yeah this selection of games isn't particularly stellar... the best games were already released in the Gold Box series + others like Dark Sun.

Erebus

Arcane
I played Heroes of the Lance back in the early 90s. It's really not a very good game, though I did finish it.

Dragons of Flame, from what I remember, is pretty much unplayable. You get attacked by huge hordes of monsters right in the middle of nowhere and it gets tiresome really quickly.

In both games, it's really annoying that you have a party of eight characters (you can even have 10 in DoF) but are only able to control one of them at any time, while the rest apparently vanishes into another dimension.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Though this title is slow as a slug to play, I would like to see Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor released on GOG. God knows it needs the support to work on Windows 10/11.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
5wEsUWd.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I enjoyed Fantasy Empires. Honestly, don't expect much out of these. I an going to give DeathKeep a whirl. I dl'd the Slayer rom. Gotta get a 3D0 emulator working.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom