Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall II: The Dying World - prequel with party-based RTwP combat where native PC travels to the old continent

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't remember anyone making such a stupid move before. I would say you are literally killing your own sales.
We are talking here about times when more and more studios are giving up on RTWP (and for good reason).
Not to mention that it doesn't look good in gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:what:

I might actually have to post news about this game now.

https://www.ign.com/articles/greedfall-2-the-dying-world-the-first-hands-on-preview

Greedfall 2: The Dying World – The First Hands-On Preview​

Developer Spiders is betting on semi-real-time combat that old-school RPG fans may recognize.​

Greedfall is one of those underrated games that punched well above its weight with some extremely unique worldbuilding that really made it stand apart. After going hands-on with Greedfall 2: The Dying World, I’m really eager to jump back into the bizarre and magical island of Teer Fradee, which seems like it’ll be retaining all of its wonderful weirdness, while also making a major pivot in the gameplay department. Playing as a supernaturally gifted native belonging to the Yecht Fradi tribe, I got the chance to meet some interesting characters, explore the labyrinthine woods I called home, make some extremely questionable story decisions, and most importantly, take the all-new combat system for a spin. Even in this extremely early state, I see a lot of potential in this audacious and unabashedly eccentric followup.

Developer Spiders has never been shy about its BioWare influences, but while 2019’s Greedfall really pulled off some unique worldbuilding and characters, its combat left something to be desired. The sequel hopes to correct this shortcoming by doing away with the straightforward hack-and-slash bouts found in its predecessor and replacing them with semi-real-time strategic clashes that feel very reminiscent of Dragon Age: Origins. Now you’ll be pausing the battle, assessing the arena, and queuing up a set of actions for each of your characters before allowing the flow of time again and watching your machinations unfold. This similarity to Dragon Age isn’t accidental, as the studio specifically cited Origins as a beloved game it's hoping to emulate with this slower, more tactical combat style.

The early alpha build I played definitely still had its wrinkles, but I could already see the vision for this pivot, which moves it away from the crowded space of fast-paced third-person action games and gives it a much more distinctive, old-school feel. The role-based abilities you’ll unlock and unleash on your enemies do things like cover an area of the battlefield in immobilizing, poisonous bramble like some kind of witchy druid, or let you leap into close range with a melee-based tank character to deal heavy damage, and each has its own cooldown for you to juggle while planning your next set of moves. Meticulously poring over various stat listings and ability effects appealed to the spreadsheet-loving RPG nerd inside me, and the novelty of swapping between characters made me feel like a commander issuing orders to my subordinates from on high. It’s been a minute since I played a game that made use of this type of combat, and it scratched an ancient itch I didn’t know I still had.

Toggling between all the characters in my party also helped me better understand how each of them worked and differed in their fighting styles, and how they could prove useful while out exploring the world. For example, learning that one of my party members had a keen eye for tracking animals through the wild and was adept at disarming traps and picking locks led me to favor them while running around the woods. One of my other allies, on the other hand, was mostly just good at thwacking enemies into pulp with a hammer the size of a child, so I made sure to toggle over to her at the beginning of each skirmish. That’s something that the first game could have benefitted from, since playing as just De Sardet could get stale in an RPG that lasts dozens of hours and has a whole lot of fighting. Not only does this new system inject some variety into the mix, but it also helped me understand the characters better and each of their particular quirks, strengths, and shortcomings.

Thankfully, I won’t have to wait long to play more Greedfall 2, which is slated to hit early access later this year. Here’s hoping they’re able to follow in the footsteps of Baldur’s Gate 3, and turn this ambitious sequel into something really special.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
2019’s Greedfall really pulled off some unique worldbuilding and characters

Lol

kitty-forman-debra-jo-rupp.gif

Stopped watching.

God almighty, the low standards these days.

Edit: IGN seriously thought footage of people locked for minutes in Runescape-type combat, cycling through the same animations to deplete giant HP bars would be interesting.

You can't make this shit up. The industry is a joke.

Edit2:

1715799437828.png

Now I'm honestly kind of sad.

Yosharian

Arcane

So the gameplay is RTwP this time around.

While not necessarily a bad change, it's a weird decision to make the combat system to your most successful franchise be completely different from its previous installment, it will definetly alienate a considerable part of the audience.

....I... I'm interested in this now?

:x

Weird decision. But the combat was not great in GreedFall tbh.

It's not isometric tho. I don't understand the thread title in this regard.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
They obviously started making it years ago. And before BG3 exploded everybody obviously new turn based is for sweaty neckbeards and doesn't sell.
Turn based has been in resurgence since the XCOM reboot, and was crowned king in the RPG space with Original Sin 2's success and Owlcat/Obsidian subsequently patching TB into Kingmaker and Deadfire.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They obviously started making it years ago. And before BG3 exploded everybody obviously new turn based is for sweaty neckbeards and doesn't sell.
Turn based has been in resurgence since the XCOM reboot, and was crowned king in the RPG space with Original Sin 2's success and Owlcat/Obsidian subsequently patching TB into Kingmaker and Deadfire.
Yes but they're levels to this. There is niche successful and then there is mainstream successful.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

So the gameplay is RTwP this time around.

While not necessarily a bad change, it's a weird decision to make the combat system to your most successful franchise be completely different from its previous installment, it will definetly alienate a considerable part of the audience.

Yeah it's weird, but filling that "non-isometric 3d real-time-with-pause rpg" nichie may work out well for them if Greedfall 2 is good enough imo, given that Bioware abandon the "pause" and "controllable party member" part in Dreadwolf as per leak info, so no big competitor, and Dragon Age Origin is still fondly remembered by many Bioware fans.

Nm6k

Scholar
Did someone say real time with pause? Sign me up, bros. I love eurojank. Let's just hope they don't go full retard in the SJW department.

It seems they already have.

:negative:
That had gay romances in most of their games since Mars War Log. They have been going down the road of "going full retard in the SJW department" for a while and I'm all for it since it seems to be going well for them :codexisfor:

Edit:Nope I was wrong it was since Faery: Legends of Avalon so even further back:-D

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ign.com/articles/greedfall-2-spiders-bioware-rpgs
The vision for GreedFall 2, at least at this early stage of development, is to replicate Knights of the Old Republic’s smart approach to real-time-with-pause combat. “[In KOTOR] you were able to select the next [combat] actions, but you were not obliged to pause for every action to make sure that your companions would do what you wanted them to,” explains Rousseau. She admits that GreedFall’s original companions were not as intelligent as she would have liked them to be, but hopes that with improved AI companions in the sequel will be able to handle their own business during regular scraps. When bosses or more complex encounters arrive, though, the pause system is intended as a powerful tool to help navigate swirling melees and volleys of pistol shots. It should enable you to consider new positions and synchronise abilities. “The idea is to create a fun experience where the player feels more in control,” Rousseau says.

So, this isn't actually new. They said the game was going to be RTwP right when it was announced in 2022. I guess we had to see it to believe it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom