Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Honkai: Star Rail - It sucks almost as much as mods changing titles

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you play something called Honkey Star Rail in the first place?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
galactic railroads are poggers
no idea what that means, so i'll throw this in just as a funny trivia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Express_999
thanks for reminding me to watch that anime also funny trivia i like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_on_the_Galactic_Railroad

anyway, as far as i'm concerned, copying oldshit is what games should be doing, who cares. its the nushit copypasta that's the concern. chyna gaymes seem to be a combination of surface-level elements of every recently popular thing on planet earth. when you play some weebshit, it feels like japan even when it's retarded, but when you play chynatrash, it feels like retarded even when it's not. chyna are the dark souls mimic of gacha gaymes (oh wait that all of them nvm)

515b93934d4d4f75ef2572a9705446ae.jpg

The real way to play. Never simp for a character you can roll-'n'-pull for. Only unobtainables allowed.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So what you're all saying is that it's a fantastic game.

Infinitron Can we change the title of this to

Honkai Star Rail - It's great!​

Jackpot

Learned
  • Combat is shit.
  • Graphics are bland anime shit.
  • Animations are good actually.
  • Music is really good.
  • Story, or at least the setting, has no right to be as interesting as it is for a chinese gacha game. Some of the writing is genuinely good.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
  • Story, or at least the setting, has no right to be as interesting as it is for a chinese gacha game. Some of the writing is genuinely good.
Tbh, I find the setting the weakest part. The characters and story are ok, but the rest is Final Fantasy meets Doctor Who.

Jackpot

Learned
Tbh, I find the setting the weakest part. The characters and story are ok, but the rest is Final Fantasy meets Doctor Who.
I don't know, this is one of the few games where the memos you find everywhere actually kept my attention.
The universal banking system being invented by a pair of religious fanatics that worship two gods that are building a giant wall for seemingly no reason who started out just scamming aliens.
Extinct rock creatures that transferred all of their leader's memories into a crown. (which people debate if its even real or just a fucking rock)
Ghosts called "Wubbaboos" that were parasites on the dying cells of elder gods and now possess people randomly and fuck around for the fun of it.

Honestly it reminds me of Planescape.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I burned through all the non-time-gated content already. Sad.

It gives a full RPG and a half of content, but the Space China world isn't exactly finished. You get to about the halfway point in the story and the quests suddenly stop. Resolves some elements though. More content on the way, presumably.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
They added 4 new codes to redeem:
  • CS75WMP976AK - 100 Stellar Jade
  • ZTPTNMTX8LUF - 100 Stellar Jade, 50,000 credits
  • 8A6T6LBFQ4D3 - 100 Stellar Jade, five Traveler's Guide
  • DB7A64BW8LC7 - 100 Stellar Jade, four Refined Aether
In addition to the old ones that should still work:
  • HSRVER10JYTGHC - 40 Stellar Jade, 10,000 Credits
  • STARRAILGIFT - 50 Stellar Jade, 2 Traveler's Guide, 5 Bottled Soda, 10,000 Credits

Just in time for the new content that's supposed to drop next month.

Jackpot

Learned
Just got this as a YT ad. Ok, Jackpot, maybe you have a point about the setting being interesting.
After playing a while I definitely think the Aeons are the most interesting part of the setting. Now it just remains to be seen how much they'll make use of it, or if it'll all be a backdrop for generic gacha stories.
Space China in theory is really cool, the setting of a proxy war between two gods, one of which bestows a corrupted form of immortality, and the other dedicated to killing all immortals.
In practice though its more slogging through warehouses than anything else.

On a side note, this is the only gacha I've played where your main character is allowed to be a genuine asshole. Not just "greedy" or "angry" but actually hurting and mocking innocent people for no reason.
It's great!

Reinhardt

Arcane
funniest thing about this game is that ching-chongs just made fucking tb gaem and got billions. and everyone is still copying some decades old shit, trying to kill wow or something.

Jackpot

Learned
Here's something I've been thinking about recently:
Which monetization system is worse, gacha shit like this or monthly subscriptions + expansions like WoW?

On a personal level I hate subscriptions much more, but morally I think gachas might be worse just for how they take advantage of people with gambling addictions.

Gacha games are worse as they damage the core game experience.

Usually, the main selling point of a game is its characters. The story usually exists as a vehicle to get players invested into the characters and to try to buy them. But since access to the character is how the publisher makes money, the characters have to be restricted. The result is a very incongruent gameplay experience where in the cutscenes and in lore, the player is adventuring to save Monstadt with Diluc, Jean, and Venti, but in gameplay you can't actually play as them. Instead, you have to play as some other random characters you have drawn, who do not exist in the story you are currently playing through.

Subscription formats do not damage the core gameplay experience anywhere near as much.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
funniest thing about this game is that ching-chongs just made fucking tb gaem and got billions. and everyone is still copying some decades old shit, trying to kill wow or something.
Millions, not billions yet, but yes.

FGO and several other Japanse gacha games were turn-based and FGO alone has made over 4 billion iirc.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Usually, the main selling point of a game is its characters. The story usually exists as a vehicle to get players invested into the characters and to try to buy them. But since access to the character is how the publisher makes money, the characters have to be restricted. The result is a very incongruent gameplay experience where in the cutscenes and in lore, the player is adventuring to save Monstadt with Diluc, Jean, and Venti, but in gameplay you can't actually play as them. Instead, you have to play as some other random characters you have drawn, who do not exist in the story you are currently playing through.
I agree, but I think this is a problem with writing, not gacha.

It'd be easy to write introductory storylines for the characters and have them fade out until you summon them or whatever.

E.g., in a game like FGO, you have the problem you mention in most of the sidestory content, yet in their stuff in the main storyline, you are introduced to characters and they disappear once the arc ends.

TBH, I would prefer a one and done payment system, yet these gacha games seem to be the only ones churning out decent content regularly.

Jackpot

Learned
Gacha games are worse as they damage the core game experience.

Subscription formats do not damage the core gameplay experience anywhere near as much.
I'd say that subscription formats can damage games in much the same way.
  • Expansions literally removing early-game story and areas.
  • Early-game story being at odds with areas that have been changed with new expansions or temporary events.
  • Increasingly flashy and out-of-place content being added to give players reasons to come back and grind which ruin the aesthetics of the game.
Though I do agree that gacha games' payment models are more closely linked with the gameplay in a bad way.
More than anything I think that both MMOs and gacha games both suffer from being long-running services rather than individual experiences. If you only played during the early patches of Genshin, then you could only really roll characters that made sense for those early areas.

What particularly pisses me off about subscriptions is having your character and content that you paid for held hostage by a monthly payment.
At least gachas let you keep whoever you roll.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
At least gachas let you keep whoever you roll.
*Until end of service. And then you lose it all.

The difference being, if your $20000 gacha account goes away, it's a lot worse than if your $15 a month MMO account does.

That said, both require a substantial and consistent time investment. And paying $15 a month (or whatever MMOs charge these days) still breaks down to thousands of dollars spent after a few years.

I would say that single player is, as always, a superior experience. But of all the decline in gaming, anime gacha games are the less of a decline in terms of story and gameplay than MMOs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom