Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Is Larian's BG3 Treating the Lore? And Returning Characters? BG3 Spoiler Herein.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
John Baldursgate Abdel Adrian, the Chaotic Neutral Human Fighter from the novelization, is the canon Gorion's Ward. Novels are the canon version of what happened in BG 1 and BG 2...
For clarification... the game, which is called Baldur's Gate 3 does not acknowledge the existence of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but instead goes with the events of the shitty Baldur's Gate novel.
Am I getting this right?

Longes

Augur
John Baldursgate Abdel Adrian, the Chaotic Neutral Human Fighter from the novelization, is the canon Gorion's Ward. Novels are the canon version of what happened in BG 1 and BG 2...
For clarification... the game, which is called Baldur's Gate 3 does not acknowledge the existence of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but instead goes with the events of the shitty Baldur's Gate novel.
Am I getting this right?
The property owner, Wizards of the Coast, does not acknowledge the existence of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and considers the events of the Baldur's Gate novel to be the official version of what happened in that period of time to those people.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Am I getting this right?
The property owner, Wizards of the Coast, does not acknowledge the existence of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and considers the events of the Baldur's Gate novel to be the official version of what happened in that period of time to those people.
Ok, thanks for clarification, mate. That triggers me more than any bear sex ever could.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Sarevok got the worst treatment, it's like they made whole ToB non canon

Why the hell did they turn him into a negro and make his armor look like a bad Halloween costume? His helmet looks miniature, like a joke.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Am I getting this right?
Which, by the way, leads to this fucking guy trying to assassinate Adrian, by that point one of the most powerful people in the Realms.
The real question is: Does Wizards of the Coast respect the lore of their own setting? The answer is no.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Am I getting this right?
Which, by the way, leads to this fucking guy trying to assassinate Adrian, by that point one of the most powerful people in the Realms.
The real question is: Does Wizards of the Coast respect the lore of their own setting? The answer is no.
show me his charsheet or don't bother me
stupid fuckers getting heated over fluff

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Am I getting this right?
show me his charsheet or don't bother me
stupid fuckers getting heated over fluff
Aren't you supposed to be toiling in the EU Bureaucracy mines, Polish Dog?

Longes

Augur

They made Sarevok a jogger?

Always has been.

JJ2Xmyq.png
kmVMDUB.png

Herumor

Scholar
I wonder why they let you loot his helmet, but not his armor. Ketheric at least dropped the chest armor piece.

Anyway, has someone found out how exactly is Dark Urge a Bhaalspawn? Is there a clear and concise timeline?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I wonder why they let you loot his helmet, but not his armor. Ketheric at least dropped the chest armor piece.

Anyway, has someone found out how exactly is Dark Urge a Bhaalspawn? Is there a clear and concise timeline?
Of course not. Unless Bhaal started fucking around again right after his rebirth. Which would make the youngest of his Spawn around 9.

Longes

Augur

You can ask the buttler. The answer is - you are not really a Bhaalspawn. Bhaal made you out of a chunk of his gore whole cloth, which is why you have an irresistible urge unlike every other Bhaalspawn who just enjoys killing.

Herumor

Scholar

You can ask the buttler. The answer is - you are not really a Bhaalspawn. Bhaal made you out of a chunk of his gore whole cloth, which is why you have an irresistible urge unlike every other Bhaalspawn who just enjoys killing.
Huh, when exactly can you ask him this? I'm just about finished with Grymforge on my Dark Urge playthrough and will move on to Mountain Pass before heading along to Act 2.

Longes

Augur

Huh, when exactly can you ask him this? I'm just about finished with Grymforge on my Dark Urge playthrough and will move on to Mountain Pass before heading along to Act 2.
Oh. Waaaay in the end, in act 3, after you finish all Bhaal business and only if you went full Urge instead of resisting it.

Mauman

Learned

John Baldursgate Abdel Adrian, the Chaotic Neutral Human Fighter from the novelization, is the canon Gorion's Ward. Novels are the canon version of what happened in BG 1 and BG 2, and AFAIK Abdel Adrian canonically does not redeem Sarevok (although he does resurrect him). He eventually becomes the Duke of Baldur's Gate, lives to ~150 years old, and dies by transforming into the Slayer and massacring a bunch of townsfolk before being put down by the adventuring party from Murder In Baldur's Gate.

PmHaSv2.png
X7bGhrd.png

Q48hoZw.png

And if Larian had any brains, they would have IGNORED the novels completely.

The novels are shit.

Nas92

Augur
I was willing to give this game a spin in spite of the fact that the gameplay has very little to do with the original BG games, even in spite of the constant fucking and it being Crit Role tier cringe. What I can't take is that they're considering the shitty novels canon instead of the actual games. Fuck WotC, fuck Larian and fuck whoever wrote those shitty novels.

Tbh I can no longer muster up any anger or disappointment. It's just sad that even with my standards set completely low they still manage to go lower. I truly think it's impossible for these old franchises to be resurrected without being desecrated in some manner.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There are very clearly two separate stories in this game that they were forced to mash together. The Chosen plot and the Illithid plot. They wanted to make the Illithid one but had to also make the Chosen one.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
As if I needed more reasons to avoid this game. I admire Larian for pissing off the corpos, but their work is muddled by WotC's demands. This is why I prefer that devs have complete creative freedom rather than be shackled to existing IPs. Every IP eventually gets mismanaged into crap. If you like lore, then it gets retconned and rewritten into something you don't like. If you like characters, then they get retconned and rewritten into something you don't like. I've seen this happen so many times that it's clockwork at this point. I'm sick of it.

His Dudeness

Augur
People clutch their pearls, pretending some sort of sacrilegious act has been committed against the most sacred of scriptures.

Baldur's Gate always had shit writing, it was a beta test for the actual good Infinity Engine game after all (IWD).

Nas92

Augur
At least Aerie didn't become crack whore
Don't give them ideas for the DLCs.

People clutch their pearls, pretending some sort of sacrilegious act has been committed against the most sacred of scriptures.

Baldur's Gate always had shit writing, it was a beta test for the actual good Infinity Engine game after all (IWD).
Yeah, whatever, BG didn't have particularly great writing, we can all agree. I think BG didn't need great writing and it was good for what it was. Still, that's not even the point. A so-called sequel not only doesn't recreate the style and charm of the original, it's painfully apparent that the people working on the game didn't even understand what that style is.

His Dudeness

Augur
At least Aerie didn't become crack whore
Don't give them ideas for the DLCs.

Yeah, whatever, BG didn't have particularly great writing, we can all agree. I think BG didn't need great writing and it was good for what it was. Still, that's not even the point. A so-called sequel not only doesn't recreate the style and charm of the original, it's painfully apparent that the people working on the game didn't even understand what that style is.
Thank you for clarifying your arguments, I understand now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom