Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Last good Might and Magic title?

What was the last good mainline M&M game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Codex Year of the Donut
One can argue that MM7 6-8 are not real blobbers. But to say they are not real M&M games is silly.
They're not real M&M games.

They belong in the mainline series as much as dark messiah.

I've played 2-7 & X, and the consistencies across the series are too numerous to list. Replacing the grid-based restriction with more fluid exploration was an upgrade.
Replacing the clunky combat of 6-8 was an upgrade, dark messiah is a mainline game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
but they're nothing like the actual M&M games

[Intelligence] What Rusty apparently meant is that 6-8 are very different from 1-5.
Even 3-5 are vastly different from 1-2.
And even 1-2 are significantly different from what JVC imagined when he was designing the games, ergo ipso rusto there has never been an actual mainline M&M game.

Glad we could have this quality discussion. Thanks for all your input, rusty.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
One can argue that MM7 6-8 are not real blobbers. But to say they are not real M&M games is silly.

I've played 2-7 & X, and the consistencies across the series are too numerous to list. Replacing the grid-based restriction with more fluid exploration was an upgrade.
Replacing the clunky combat of 6-8 was an upgrade, dark messiah is a mainline game.
It is not named properly to be that.

:troll:

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

Honestly it's remarkable how consistent of a series MM was in terms of decent quality/fun gameplay. I'd argue the only really bad title was 9. Everything else is pretty good, in one way or another. Comparing it to Heroes really shows how good we had it... not that I'll ever stop being salty about us not getting MMXL's sequel, but oh well.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Poll is missing Swords of Xeen, but whatever - my favorite is World of Xeen, but that isn't the question.

I think the games peaked at MMVI - that game was innovative as all hell. The skill system, the good/evil option you never really expected, the promotion quests, the trainers. Then again, I really liked MMII and the exploration, and looked forward to finding new taverns in VII simple to play a new hand of Arcomage and complete that quest.

Never finished MMX - the approach didn't mesh with where the games were going. Maybe a nice homage to earlier MMs - but it isn't what I wanted. Kind of like Bard's Tale 4 - its a good game that is universally loved on its own, but not exactly a Bard's Tale.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Never finished MMX - the approach didn't mesh with where the games were going.

Into the garbage bin?

Going back to something that evidently worked was necessary after how MM9 went, you couldn't follow that trend. And doing a modern version of that vision (i.e, MM7/8 style of a big "open world" RPG with realtime combat that would have to compete with all modern realtime combat RPGs) was probably beyond the budget. Not sure anyone here would want them to try either, unless you want Assassin's Creed/God of War version of Might & Magic, that's what the big budget version of that would look like now.

MMX sucks balls.
I liked it. It has a list of shortcomings that never quits and despise Ubisoft being the publisher the budget was dangerously close to "We'll pay you guys in exposure", but the good parts were solid enough to make me enjoy my time with it.

P.S. God, especially after the recent news about the company I can't wait to see Ubisoft sell the IP entirely.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
MMI for me. While I likd the others the original has the most D&D experience imho. While II improved on some things, I find the massive encounters in some combats ridiculous. Its still fun but has not "THAT FEEL" of the original. And this goes for Wizardry & Bard's Tale as well.

wishbonetail

Learned

I concur. You can feel from MM2 to MM8 they belong to the same bloodline, tile-based or not. Although i cannot say the same about MMX.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is the grid tile-based movement what kills MMX mostly? Or is it that ubisoft are fags having it be online all the time to fucking play the game. IMHO, that's the bullshit. I have the game on one laptop but I recall having a pirated version somewhere. I don't know if you can play the pirated version off-line. I'm not sure where that file even is. Steam is one thing, but third party requiring you to log in or be online to play the game offline is just fucking stupid.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why would the grid movement be the problem? Most of the games in the series use a grid.

Gregz

Arcane
Is the grid tile-based movement what kills MMX mostly? Or is it that ubisoft are fags having it be online all the time to fucking play the game. IMHO, that's the bullshit. I have the game on one laptop but I recall having a pirated version somewhere. I don't know if you can play the pirated version off-line. I'm not sure where that file even is. Steam is one thing, but third party requiring you to log in or be online to play the game offline is just fucking stupid.

"grid tile-based movement" is fine, but the way it was implemented by ubisoft was terrible. MMX is a clumsy and poorly implemented knockoff of a M&M game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom