Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons

Cassidy

Arcane
One second, I just annexed Japan with Communist China in Hearts of Iron 2 with DAIM...

Besides:

small_china-first-to-fight.jpg

But China is too easy to do a LP of in HoI2 due to the near infinite manpower. All this set-up is because this is obviously a Let's Play of a CRPG(Chinese Role-Playing Game) and not everything that comes from the Far East sucks. And it is one centered on the Age of Sail, as the name may suggest. There is a PC version but considering I'd have to run both through different kinds of emulators, and that the Genesis version is prettier...

:decline:

=============

Index

1. Choices with consequences even before you start playing it(Right here).
  2. Who dares to be EXTREME wins.

============

Choices with consequences even before you start playing it.

iimuG.jpg

KOEI, also known for the classic Genghis Khan turn-based strategy game, is responsible for the Uncharted Waters series. Most of them weren't translated to English but it doesn't matter here. There is a strong lack of games inspired by the Age of Sail but fortunately Risen 2 is going to be released.

O1bS5.jpg

1994. Same year one of the most known SNES Final Faggotry games was released, Doom was 1 year old and First Person Shooters were becoming the newest fad. People had no idea of what decline truly meant yet.

Now, like explained, New Horizons has choices with consequences before the game even starts, because there are eight pre-made characters with eight different plot lines to progress, and you can only choose one for every game you start. So technically, this game has a strong replay factor provided you like it. Obviously, I wouldn't just pick up one instead of allowing you to choose.

Here are the possibilities:

EzxOF.jpg

Joao Franco: Pretty much what the description says. This will be obviously a journey focused on exploration rather than combat, or trading, or mapmaking. Because this games features all of them.

VT13U.jpg

Catalina Erantzo Scottish Martial Arts: They say woman bring bad luck on the sea... oh wait, nevermind. Carry on with piracy, escaping the force of law and buying bigger, mightier and more armed ships, and maybe even building an entire pirate fleet. Yes, you can command entire fleets in this game rather than only one ship.

nhDSN.jpg

Otto Baynes: Pip Pip. Rule Brittania! This talentous privateer is tasked with the daunting mission of helping to destroy the "Invincible Armada" of Spain, and turning England into the greatest naval power of the world. It is not so different from playing as SMA's, except for having different allies, enemies and objectives, and arguably starting with better equipment, while also being put into far more massive naval battles, as suggested.

OjfRO.jpg

Ernst Von Bohr: Disciple of Mercator. Explore world, sell cartographic information for a living and do the same thing as Joao Franco when not doing it. Arguably the least interesting character.

48oec.jpg

Pietro Conti Lyric Suite: Italian adventure who is going to cast sails and hopefully get wealthy enough adventuring because at the start he is seriously broke. Similar to Joao Franco except for having a different storyline.

XdAjU.jpg

Ali Vezas: Follower of the religion of peace who was born as an orphan and will try to gain wealth through trading. And this is pretty much what his quest will, for most of the game, resume to: trading, trading, trading and more trading. Competes with Bohr for the position of least interesting character to play.

Post your choice! It'll be very important because I'm not going to LP the replay of this game with another character.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I've never played the SNES version. But completed the PC version multiple times, what are the differences?

Edit: Cass, why don't you just post a poll. Makes it easier to keep count!

Excellent game. I'm playing the Online version of this right now, incredibly deep and fun. That being said, Ali is actually a pretty interesting character because once you earn your fortune, you can turn him into a battle type character. He isn't particularly good at it, but it makes a nice challenge. My choice is Otto because I like his story line and Matthew is a badass.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I played the hell out of this game when I was young'un.

Ernst Von Bohr is the least interesting character to play. You pretty much find a girl and look for her homeland and that is that for his campaign. Ali's story is more interesting (at the very least better presented) even if it is the opposite being done, looking for your sister in the Middle East. Also you bribe the ENTIRE world to join the Turkish Empire.

Also the problem with this game is that if you want to make money at a decent pace safely you'll be visiting Istanbul (not Constantinople) and Athens many, many, maaaany, MANY times. I don't blame you if you only want to play this game through once. There are a couple routes that make money but they usually require investment and even then you won't be making as much as this one.

I vote for Otto. For the glory of England.
gentlemenani.gif

Koei of the 90s was definitely the :incline: of console gaming before it became the :decline:.

Cassidy

Arcane
what are the differences?

As far as I know, the differences between the PC and Genesis versions are purely graphical. Gameplay-wise they are equal.

Also the problem with this game is that if you want to make money at a decent pace safely you'll be visiting Istanbul (not Constantinople) and Athens many, many, maaaany, MANY times.

I'll LARP a privateer, not a merchant. If things turn out harder, it'll make everything more amusing nevertheless.

Almost forgot this thread, but considering the lack of attention the latest update of Space Potato had, I remembered of it again. Thus, as decided, Rule Brittania.

-----------------

Who dares to be EXTREME wins.

lpuw2-engbeg001.jpg

The only person I remember for certain to be a Brit is Matt*randomnumbers* but, in my opinion, the new name for this figure must be something more fitting with the glories and audacity of being a privateer. In honor to the courageous Space Rangers 2 LP, Admiral Jimbob will be this name. Also this can have a trolling potential

Admiral Jimbob versus the Invincible Armada. Place your bets, chaps.

lpuw2-engbeg002.jpg

A royal guard seems to be looking for somebody. Jimbob EXTREME Pants, more specifically.

lpuw2-engbeg003.jpg

Jimbob, a man who has the upstand to order tea in a cafe filled with drunken sailors without being answered with snide comments or challenged to a drinking contest. While the proles drown in alcohol, it is at least demanded for a man as high as him to refuse to lower to their level, and drink something more befitting of better men.

:obviously:

After drinking the tea Jimbob said, while I stand under the pretext of using prose for not want to bother uploading avatars.

Jimbob: Thanks, I needed that.

Cafe Owner: Glad you enjoyed it, Admiral. Now, about your tab...

Jimbob: You know, no matter how much of your tea I drink, I never tire of it.

Cafe Owner: It's a honor to receive such compliments from a customer with such refined taste.

Jimbob: Ahhh... my friend, flattery will get you many things in life, bur unfortunately no gold from me today.

Indeed,

:obviously:

And thus he leaves the pub.

lpuw2-engbeg004.jpg

Jimbob: Righto. I was just on my way over there.

Guard: Well, let's go then.

lpuw2-engbeg005.jpg

lpuw2-engbeg006.jpg

Sir Gilbert loves Admiral Jimbob.

Gilbert: What has been keeping you, so long, may I ask? I don't suppose you realize how rude it is to keep the King waiting?

Jimbob: I'd love to stay and chat with you, old chap, but I do have a bit of important business to attend to. Perhaps we could talk after my audience with the King?

Gilbert: Hmph, don't trifle me with your arrogance. Your moment here won't last long, sailor man, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Guard: Hurry up, quickly!

lpuw2-engbeg007.jpg

Being no grammar nazi, I'm unsure whether Henry the VIII is as correct as Henry VIII or not. But in any case:

Jimbob: Anything, your majesty.

king(comrade): Very good. I'd like you to take command of a warship.

Jimbob: A warship? Did you say a warship?

king(comrade): That's correct. As you know, there is a powerful nation that threatens our mighty land of England.

Jimbob Obvious: Would you be referring to Spain?

king(comrade): Exactly. Using their newfound wealth from the New World, they are trying to control all of Europe. As the King of England, I cannot sit by idly and allow this to occur. Therefore, we need to make a strong war fleet. I would like you to accept a position as Head of the Royal Navy. To that end, I want you to go out to sea and gain experience.

Jimbob: It would be a honor. I respectfully accept.

king(comrade): I know present you with weapons and a letter of marque. Don't forget to equip yourself with the weapons. With the letter of Marque, all your actions will be sanctioned by the throne. Do not abuse this power! As of today, you are working for the King of England, with a royal rank to boot. From this day forth you will be known as Page of King Henry the VIII.

Jimbob: I respectfully accept your generous offer.

king(comrade): You'll need gold to get prepared, ask for as much as you like. Sir Gilbert will take care of all arrangements. I'm counting on you Admiral.

Jimbob: You don't need to worry about a thing, your majesty.

lpuw2-engbeg008.jpg

Jimbob: I see.

Gilbert: Do you have any more questions?

Jimbob: I'd like you to get my money ready.

Gilbert: A fellow as smart as you imagine yourself to be... 300 gold pieces ought to be more than adequate.

:x

Jimbob: What do you want me to do with only 300 gold pieces? His majesty said that I should take as much as I think I need.

Gilbert: Stop complaining! This is more than enough! Here, take it , you greedy scoundrel! Since his majesty is counting on your ability, I do hope you will get us some good results. Hurry up and go to the shipyard and the dock. Do try to remember you are representing England! Don't embarass us! Though, (sigh) I suppose that may be too much to hope for.

lpuw2-engbeg009.jpg

lpuw2-engbeg010.jpg

And thus, after having to endure this prick, Jimbob finally leaves the castle. It is now a good time to review everything.

lpuw2-engbeg011.jpg

For now, Admiral Jimbob is equipped only with a short sword and with leather armor. It is the most basic starting gear posssible, but it is better than nothing should a naval battle become a duel.

lpuw2-engbeg012.jpg

Most of his skills are tailored for naval combat. He has a special skill(or whatever they are called) named canonneering, which increases the chances of a ship under his command to hit the enemy ships with their cannons.

lpuw2-engbeg013.jpg

People around will give several tips about best products to trade and the coordinates of other ports. Or sometimes say nothing of use. Time to take a look at what most likely is a bathtub that jerk Gilbert gave. Hopefully it won't be too damaged.

lpuw2-engbeg014.jpg

Shipwright: Aye... Sir Jimbob right? I've been wondering when ye'd come by. This may be forward of me, but what is a ship as nice as this going to be used for?

Jimbob: If I told you I was going to use it to fight the Spanish, what would you think?

Shipwright: You must be joking! I'd rather hear that ye're going to use it for trade! Oh, I've painted the ship's name. 'Simpleton'. - Just as ye requested. But are ye sure ye want to use such a name?

Jimbob: Blast that Gilbert... Well, we'll just see who has the last laugh!

lpuw2-engbeg015.jpg

This is the fleet that shall crush the Invincible Armada...

For now, only a crappy Caravela Latina, no other type of ship, and...

:M

lpuw2-engbeg016.jpg

At least it is reasonably fast. Time to fill the 10 vacant positions in its crew by going to the Coffee.

lpuw2-engbeg017.jpg

Stereotypically, Admiral Jimbob ordered too much fish and chips for his own good. It was possible to draw enough people to fill the 10 vacant positions without giving so much "on the house". But now it was too late to revert this small mistake.

lpuw2-engbeg018.jpg

One of the sailors, probably another Irish, gave the location of a previously unknonw harbor.

lpuw2-engbeg019.jpg

lpuw2-engbeg020.jpg

Excess of fish and chips wasted. In any case, although it nearly made the Admiral broke, 5 new sailors were hired at a somewhat stiff cost considering that bastard gave only 300 gold pieces for such a thing. After this, it was time to check that would-be first mate mentioned. He is found at the docks:

lpuw2-engbeg021.jpg

Jimbob: And you, you're the sailor Sir Gilbert told me about?

Matt: Oh ho, don't think I'm good enough for you, eh? Then come on down to the cafe. I'll give you quite a welcome party. Heh!

The Admiral finds it strange, but seeing no other means of getting a first mate, specially thanks to that miserable bastard that left him nearly broke, he agrees and heads for the cafe.

lpuw2-engbeg022.jpg

Matt: Hey! Did you guys hear that? This guy want us to throw him a party!

lpuw2-engbeg023.jpg

Matt: Hmph, I think you're confused, pal. Why would I want to work for you?

His hands had that tingling, reflex-desire of grabbing a collar as he spoke.

Jimbob: (EXTREME) Well then, let me help you make up your mind.

lpuw2-engbeg024.jpg

Thus both get into a duel. Duels are means of replacing shooting everything with cannons or using brute force until the enemy is dead. However, they are risky because they work in a rock-paper-scissors way. What is important ot note is that different weapons have different bonuses for each type of attack. There are three types attack and three equivalents in defense. The attacks are thrust, strike and lash. Obviously, a rapier will be very bad at anything besides thrust attacks, while curved blades don't work well with thrusts. For each of these three offensive moves, there will be a defensive move that will totally negate it, one that will balance with it and make the PC take some damage, and one that will be utterly useless agianst it. The only way of guessing is by seeing what kind of sword the enemy is using, and luck plays a big part in these duels, which is why they aren't necessarily a first measure, but a last resort. As far as I can remember, dodge beats strike, parry beats thrust and block beats lash.

Most likely I am mistaken and I don't want to consult GameFags.

In this first turn, notice the cards have numbers. THe higher the number, the higher the potential damage. Jimbob starts with a thrust. It hits the enemy, but this is a tough match.

lpuw2-engbeg025.jpg

Feint. Parry. Riposte.

lpuw2-engbeg026.jpg

The duel carries on for several turns, without a clear winner.

lpuw2-engbeg027.jpg

Then Matthew makes a wrong move, and now it seems that the EXTREME method will work.

lpuw2-engbeg028.jpg

Or maybe not. The whole thing about being EXTREME may not be such a good idea, but at least, this Matthew is truly EXTREME enough to grab collars. Humiliated, and wanting to get his hands around the neck of that Gilbert, Jimbob raises in spite of the beating and wounds, and awaits for what that man will say about this.

lpuw2-engbeg029.jpg

Jimbob (pant) Oh really? (pant)

Matt: Before you, I've challenged almost every man that's come here sayin' he is a commodore. But you're the first to fight me man to man.

:BRO:

Jimbob: (pant) So?

Matt: So I figure I might accept you as commodore. Only, when we fight those Spanish dogs, fight a little harder, will ya?

Jimbob: Hmmm, now that you've accepted me as commodore, I suppose you should be my first mate. What do you say?

Matt: I like the sound of that!

And thus, after being introduced to a live demonstration of what EXTREME means, the Admiral finally, having nothing more to do in this city, due to his measly savings after wasting most of the cash he was given buying fish and chips for random sailors and then hiring sailors, heads straight for the harbor with his new first mate.

lpuw2-engbeg030.jpg

The remaining gold proves sufficient to buy only two extra barrels of food and water before setting sails with the glorious Simpleton. And thus, Admiral Jimbob prepares for his maiden voyage onboard a glorious piece of junk being called a military warship. As he just leaves England, his EXTREME first mate asks:

lpuw2-engbeg031.jpg

Jimbob: Ah, I was just thinking about that myself.

Matt: Why don't we do a little spying on the enemy?

Jimbob: That's a good idea. Alright then, let's set a course for Seville. We should head South-Southwest.

Matt: If Seville is where you want to go, leave everything to me. It's easy if you use the Auto Sail command!

And thus, fourth wall was already broken by tutorial-speaking NPC.

Will the Admiral get past the financial crisis the underfunding of his task provoked and stop being broke? Will Admiral Jimbob manage to reach Seville safely and before running out of supplies? How will a Caravela Latina with a crew of 25 men progress into the fleet that will destroy the Invincible Armada?

The adventure just has begun.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
This is, hands down, the best starting vignette in the game. Besides Catalina's beginning experience that isn't exactly a high bar to achieve though.

I'll LARP a privateer, not a merchant. If things turn out harder, it'll make everything more amusing nevertheless.

The saving grace is that there are Spanish galleons loaded with stolen Incan gold that cross the Atlantic that you can attack.

EDIT: I actually had no clue how the one-on-one combat system worked and mostly picked a random option every time. I think the number system worked in that the bigger the difference between attack and defense the more damage is done. And then there is the rock-paper-scissor aspect of picking dodge, parry, block, thrust, etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i never sunk any ship in my game. i always beat them through boarding parties or sword duels .

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Same. Sword duels get a lot easier once you have decent equipment.

BROtip for dueling: your attack cards are also used for defense. So don't blow all your best numbers on defenses that are likely to completely negate an attack anyways, when you can use them to dish out the pain. And don't attack with the type of attack you expect your enemy to use, since then you'll be using up the effective blocks vs that move type. And likewise for defending with the cards that suit your sword attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom