Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
What kind of support is he talking about?
He might be talking about Patreon, because there's a note on his channel about it. I'm gonna make these words in bold:
Matt Chat is a YouTube show hosted and produced by Dr. Matt Barton, a professor at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota. Author of several books on the history of videogames, Matt is among the best-known academics studying videogames today. This channel is for game developers, especially those making CRPG (computer role-playing games) and Adventure Games. If you want to know the stories behind games like Ultima, Wizardry, or Quest for Glory, you'll love my content. The show is supported directly by fans via Patreon. "I think these are the most definitive interviews with me so far. One of the most pleasant interviews I've ever been in." -- George "The Fat Man" Sanger "Matt, after plenty of requests, this was the first interview given in about 15 years. I thought you did a great job with the interview. Pleased so many people found it informative. Thanks for the opportunity to speak my mind to your fans." -- Robert Sirotek
Realistically, I wouldn't expect to make any money from operating as niche a channel as his. If money was a reason why he decided to stop, it seems naive that he ever expected to make a significant amount of money with this.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also got to wonder about the expenses, I mean, supported by fans sounds like the fans are paying for the expenses, and without that help it would never happen.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Guys, he's making like 1k a month to do nothing. He doesn't even edit those videos. He doesn't produce ant content outside of that.

What? You guys think he pays those developers to appear? No fkn way.

Whatever, the only sad part is, there won't be another guy to do this

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
He actually blocked me on twitter after that. Truth hurts.

I can't be bothered to try to embed my tweets here, I don't really even use twitter but had to voice my opinion and the opinion of the dex to him.

I mentioned how he's not a good interviewer, doesn't ask follow up questions, sucks at crpgs, doesn't really review them and that he's talked about developing a game for a decade and has never done anything but if he made a game, it would probably suck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but it seems that he lost the enthusiasm for the show some time ago
That became obvious when he stopped editing his interviews into weekly episodes, which made it impossible for me to follow along and post them as front page news. Hence "dwindling support"!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That became obvious when he stopped editing his interviews into weekly episodes, which made it impossible for me to follow along and post them as front page news. Hence "dwindling support"!

Have you considered doing game developer interviews Infinitron (on video)?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Damn, 1k and that is not enough?

:mca:

According to the graphtreon link above, yes, it was over 900 usd a month to do basically nothing but coordinate times to interview developers.

Again, unless I'm really missing something, I don't think those developers asked him for money to appear on his show. He doesn't edit his videos, he's had the same intro and outro for 10+ years
Sad news, he wasn't the best interviewer, but his questions weren't corporate slop pushed out by vidya game journalists these days.
True but such a low bar to set. His claim to fame is an overpriced book on the history of crpgs and that he's one of the only nerds out there willing to appear on camera to "interview" old school developers.

That became obvious when he stopped editing his interviews into weekly episodes, which made it impossible for me to follow along and post them as news. Hence "dwindling support"!
I only recently started watching his videos and even stuff from many years ago seems unedited or poorly edited or the bare minimum of editing by just cutting the interview into separate chunks.

Also, I have a feeling we will never see Infinitron on camera but if he ever did that, I want him to interview Avellone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honest response: It's something I've thought about doing in partnership with somebody else (sup Ed123), but more in a "Wouldn't that be nice?" way than actually seriously considering it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honest response: It's something I've thought about doing in partnership with somebody else (sup Ed123), but more in a "Wouldn't that be nice?" way then actually seriously considering it.
Sounds like a nice idea. Said it before, but the pull of RPG Codex should be used for stuff like this.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honest response: It's something I've thought about doing in partnership with somebody else (sup Ed123), but more in a "Wouldn't that be nice?" way then actually seriously considering it.

I assumed interviews would be your kinda thing based on your role at the Codex.

This Matt Chat situation might present an opportunity to fill a vacuum before his following disappears. I doubt the Codex is the only place that people follow Matt, but I've seen situations like this before in other industries mind you.

Basically someone is tired of the business or project they are working on, but if you offer them even a token incentive to give you their books/ledgers, or current remaining business, or whatever, they will usually be happy to oblige.

Something to consider at least, I think you'd do a good job if you pursued it, but I would also like to see some butthurt on the Codex also with interviews about stuff like Pentiment.

A horse of course

IMO people should practice with a podcast or something first. Do a weekly RPG Codex RPG News Roundup or something (maybe focus on indie stuff or developers who poast here) involving Infinitron and people who usually have a lot to say in GRPGD.

The format would be Infinitron introduces the first of several news items that people could chat about for a few minutes - e.g. "Snorlac Studios have finally released The Slithering Sands, an ultima IV-inspired indie rpg for PC and tablet, what do you guys think of it so far" - and then Infinitron turns it over to the 2 or 3 guests, who call Infinitron a shill and tell him to kill himself.

A horse of course

My VPN has been blocked for weeks and I can't see any of the embedded media. Can someone tell me what's going on :negative:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Infinitron turns it over to the 2 or 3 guests, who call Infinitron a shill and tell him to kill himself.

Hmm I'm interested, go on......

In all seriousness, I have a feeling not many dexers would want anyone to hear their voice because 1. they sound like total nerds unlike you and 2. racist. Could you imagine hearing rusty speak?

Personally, I would call in to something like that to call Infinitron a shill. Not sure what indie developers post here or if any of the ones that post here have ever made anything decent.

I'd also shill Swordflight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom