Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neetdom Dev

tomphonse

Literate
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Currently studying software engineering with a rendering/gamedev focused major, at the end of my second year.
I think my autism is too severe to get or hold a normie softeng job so I am thinking of dropping out going on autismbux and just developing my cRPGs.
Most people in my cohort seem to dislike me because I said female characters in games should be hot or something.
Lol been reported to admin 2x (it was thrown out because it was super tame but still), don't see myself holding a job.
They say networking is 2/3s of a degree and I have completely failed at that pretty much lol.

Things I know:
  • Fundamentals of Linear Algebra, Vector maths, and other 3d geo and rendering maths.
  • Fundamentals of C++, memory management, design patterns, algos and data structures etc.
  • Fundamentals of Unreal and using libraries such as SDL2 and RayLib, And src control.
  • Some 3D modeling, texturing and animation to a Quake/PS1 level of quality that I taught myself outside of school.
  • Probability and other discrete maths for using polynomials and what not to balance difficulty curve and optimize skinnerboxes for live service slop games but also potentially cRPGs
Things left in the curriculum are:
  • more OpenGL stuff - cool
  • Multithreading stuff - cool
  • Diversity and Inclusion paper - gay
  • more AGILE/SCRUM/Documentation/wasting time - gay
  • more teamwork with normies - gay
  • even more team projects with normies - gay
I have about a hundred or so pages of cRPG design docs to work from. Right now it's kind of schizophrenically written since it just needs to be comprehensive enough for me to drop ideas down before I forget them but I will be working on making it readable to others.

Things I need/want to learn that aren't in the curriculum or covered very briefly:
  • open-world level streaming/chunking - just the basics of the algos used are covered but no real implementation
  • complete program-state serialization (ie being able to save the entire state of the game rather than at checkpoints) - have covered serialization but not bethesda level of serialization, very niche and not taught much of anywhere save for one paragraph psuedocode explanations.
  • getting better at 3D art

Last edited:

tomphonse

Literate
Patron
Sorry had to edit this a bunch because I accidently pressed ctrl + enter half way through typing. Newfag moment

tomphonse

Literate
Patron
The Free Market hu Akbar bin Christus will decide your game's fate.
Yeah. As much as I would like to make a Lilura-tier cRPG thats locked to 800x600 graphics written purely in C or even something more akin to IronTower's works, things are looking kind of grim in that dept.
I am thinking of probably making something more akin to a Bethesda game, or as I like to call it cRPG - Immersive Sim hybrid.
Think Fallout New Vegas but with the production values of Deus Ex/Counter-Strike 1.6, no voice acting.

But I have also considered making something of a spiritual successor to Darklands (in terms of production values) since the CYOA format for various parts lowers production time by a huge magnitude.
This brings the cost/sale ratio more in line.
The issue with a Iron Tower like game is just looking at the systems it takes the same production time as a cRPG - Immersive Sim hybrid but is also completely unpalatable to non-grognards.
The seeming exception to this is if you are lucky enough that Sseth, Warlockracy or Mandalore makes a video of your game and a bunch of normies buy it and play it for 1 hour before being filtered and hopefully they don't refund. The Darklands spiritual successor would not be a replacement for the former idea, more of a jumping off point career wise.

I would recommend something small and manageable.

Show us your style of writing/design/philosophy/rpg ideology, in one simple package.

And stop posting shit on these forum threads, developers only come here to promote and ask opinion about their games *sometimes*, if you want being a cRPG game developer to be your life not a jobless bum blaming jews for stealing your balls: stop. posting. here.

Develop your game.

tomphonse

Literate
Patron
stop posting
I am self-aware about this.
However, right now I am focused on finishing this semester with passing marks (I want to leave on good terms).
Part of this is to do research on what my grassroots target audience wants and find obscure cRPGs to learn from.
It is also something to do during the more boring lectures.
Don't have enough time to do more than documentation and planning right now.

I also really dislike how devs (especially on twitter) now think their above interacting with gamers and think lowly of gamers.

d1nolore

Savant
Currently studying software engineering with a rendering/gamedev focused major, at the end of my second year.
I think my autism is too severe to get or hold a normie softeng job so I am thinking of dropping out going on autismbux and just developing my cRPGs.
Most people in my cohort seem to dislike me because I said female characters in games should be hot or something.
Lol been reported to admin 2x (it was thrown out because it was super tame but still), don't see myself holding a job.
They say networking is 2/3s of a degree and I have completely failed at that pretty much lol.

Things I know:
  • Fundamentals of Linear Algebra, Vector maths, and other 3d geo and rendering maths.
  • Fundamentals of C++, memory management, design patterns, algos and data structures etc.
  • Fundamentals of Unreal and using libraries such as SDL2 and RayLib, And src control.
  • Some 3D modeling, texturing and animation to a Quake/PS1 level of quality that I taught myself outside of school.
  • Probability and other discrete maths for using polynomials and what not to balance difficulty curve and optimize skinnerboxes for live service slop games but also potentially cRPGs
I have about a hundred or so pages of cRPG design docs to work from. Right now it's kind of schizophrenically written since it just needs to be comprehensive enough for me to drop ideas down before I forget them but I will be working on making it readable to others.

Things I need/want to learn that aren't in the curriculum or covered very briefly:
  • open-world level streaming/chunking - just the basics of the algos used are covered but no real implementation
  • complete program-state serialization (ie being able to save the entire state of the game rather than at checkpoints) - have covered serialization but not bethesda level of serialization, very niche and not taught much of anywhere save for one paragraph psuedocode explanations.
  • getting better at 3D art
Finish your degree, don’t be foolish. Build a demo game while you finish your degree. If you can get fanfare and prove you are capable with the demo then reevaluate your options.

People like to devalue degrees these days but having a software engineering degree is something to stand on when you look for any job. Sat in my underwear in my mom’s house for 3 years trying to make games is not great for a CV.

Many highly successful people build successful things while studying.

And people probably don’t dislike you for what you are saying, it’s probably how you say it.

Good luck.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I halp make a Darklands gaem! (Kidding, I can't program. Would love to help write for a Darklands-like though, could do the history and narrative).

Good luck with your project!

Krice

Arcane
Developer
I am thinking of probably making something more akin to a Bethesda game, or as I like to call it cRPG - Immersive Sim hybrid.
If you have never made a single game I would suggest creating a really simple game, just to see how it works. It doesn't take too much of your time, but it is a valuable lesson. What surprises most beginner game developers is just how difficult it is. There is a lot of effort and motivation for game design, because the money it promises, so it's not that people don't try. And, it's much worse for solo developers, because most game projects are a result of team work, which can give a wrong kind of idea how much work is needed for a single person.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
People like to devalue degrees these days but having a software engineering degree is something to stand on when you look for any job.
This is nonsense. If you want to get hired in the software industry, save your money on that degree. Buy a tanning bed. They're much cheaper. Then get on Amazon, and buy the biggest bulk container of curry spices you can find. After you do laundry, toss a half a cup of the curry spice in the dryer with your clothes. Get in the tanning bed until your clothes are dry. That should be long enough to properly tan. Put on the clothes from the dryer right before your interview. Congrats on landing your first job as a software engineer without a degree!

Not.AI

Learned
Don't drop out, if you think you can complete the degree. Life isn't fair or even reasonable. Some pieces of paper you are better off having even no good reason except the social one. Because every hairdresser has a masters in sociology, journalism, or political science.

If you ever wanna go live in Japan, you need at least a bachelors: lots of things like that.

Do perhaps try to write papers while you have an affiliation (good news, double and triple blind is becoming the new normal finally for many papers...), if you are sure you're not going for masters or PhD at the moment.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Thiers a lot to unpack here....

First
This is not a great impression, from a employer standpoint having most of your fellow colleges say your "not good to work with" isn't a good look and even in the field of independent fame developers looking for collaboration and like small modding teams the concept of a "difficult" to work with person is something most people want to avoid. Again theirs the possibility that you where mistreated and that your fellow students just all ganged up on you which if that's the case I'm sorry that happened but it also doesn't sound like you want to work in the triple A industry.

Also as a side not on the "female characters in games should be hot or something" how on earth did that come up into conversation? I'm assuming a forced "diversity or feminist" module in the course (I had one of those in my BA so yeah) best bet in the future is to just not be so strongly worded when it comes to your own personal beliefs, don't role over but just dial back your own ideals, compromise and collaboration are really important for teamwork

Things I know:
On the plus side you have a pretty good set of skills here, potentially yo could spin into YouTube as a sought of GameDev education channel and show others these core fundamentals, great way to improve you skills and also keep you working on smaller projects.

Okay I think I released why your Cohort had it out for you. But seriously you didn't describe stuff like this, I mean saying "Normie" is kind of cringe and describing things as "Gay" that you don't like give off the impression that your "homophobic" especially in the super sensitive education and gaming industry. Alot of people tend to overlook the left bias in media fields, including game development, so chances are most of your fellow students and staff ha that bias...

155013.gif

Before any says my political campus is one of an libertarian centralist social critical and armchair historian

First
This is not a great impression, from a employer standpoint having most of your fellow colleges say your "not good to work with" isn't a good look and even in the field of independent fame developers looking for collaboration and like small modding teams the concept of a "difficult" to work with person is something most people want to avoid. Again theirs the possibility that you where mistreated and that your fellow students just all ganged up on you which if that's the case I'm sorry that happened but it also doesn't sound like you want to work in the triple A industry.

Also as a side not on the "female characters in games should be hot or something" how on earth did that come up into conversation? I'm assuming a forced "diversity or feminist" module in the course (I had one of those in my BA so yeah) best bet in the future is to just not be so strongly worded when it comes to your own personal beliefs, don't role over but just dial back your own ideals, compromise and collaboration are really important for teamwork

Things I know:
On the plus side you have a pretty good set of skills here, potentially yo could spin into YouTube as a sought of GameDev education channel and show others these core fundamentals, great way to improve you skills and also keep you working on smaller projects.

Okay I think I released why your Cohort had it out for you. But seriously you didn't describe stuff like this, I mean saying "Normie" is kind of cringe and describing things as "Gay" that you don't like give off the impression that your "homophobic" especially in the super sensitive education and gaming industry. Alot of people tend to overlook the left bias in media fields, including game development, so chances are most of your fellow students and staff ha that bias...

155013.gif

Before any says my political campus is one of an libertarian centralist social critical and armchair historian

ea3951a9a63dfba81d745f66c074886db61c5dc2de1ce2844b5e3fa376048f38_1.jpg

OP, don't let other people determine what you can and can't do. That said, I'll second the motion to work on something of a more limited scope, specially if it's your first project. Only a tiny fraction of people can work on a big project for years on sheer force of will. Accomplishing something smaller will offer you perspective, boost your confidence and help you find likeminded people to work with. Solodevs deserve respect, but collaborating with other people is better in nearly every case.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

First

Things I know:

155013.gif

ea3951a9a63dfba81d745f66c074886db61c5dc2de1ce2844b5e3fa376048f38_1.jpg

OP, don't let other people determine what you can and can't do. That said, I'll second the motion to work on something of a more limited scope, specially if it's your first project. Only a tiny fraction of people can work on a big project for years on sheer force of will. Accomplishing something smaller will offer you perspective, boost your confidence and help you find likeminded people to work with. Solodevs deserve respect, but collaborating with other people is better in nearly every case.
What did I say was wrong?

I mean if he did describe stuff he didn't like as "Gay" I can see why he got dragged into speak with admin, like its the super soft education all it would take is one person to get offered and then a report to be made, plus as I said gaming tends to attract a sought of left leaning "Call them Cultural Marxists or Social Justice Warrior same difference" crowd (in terms of development as for audience its more mixed really) so yeah if he said things like that it was gonna happen, its not really a surprise.

So it best to just sought of not really challenge political disagreements especially when in education or at work, what's that rule bartenders ait pubs live by "Don't bring up politics or religion"

After all;
tumblr_op6w9ts04m1uq5szqo1_540.gif

Also surprise surprise I'm a little suspicious of the one sided story OP gave.

Edit: Someone a little butthurt huh?

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Try to finish your degree then don't switch projects too often and just try to finish something that's good enough to be called a game demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom