Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It finally happened - Josh Sawyer went on Chapo:

Any dirtbag leftists in the house?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I fully support dirtbags on general principle, but those guys are the worst. They act as if they have the weary cynicism that comes with great knowledge and the wisdom of years. Yet, on the few topics I’ve heard them discuss, they were laughably ill-informed.

From this I gathered that the dirtbag left was synonymous with hipsters who dabble in contemporary politics.

Disgusting creatures.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Localizations and new area: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/132124-13-patch-notes/

1.2 Patch Notes
  • Added localizations for Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese.
  • New Outer Farms area allowing you to find more of the character's homes.
  • Optimized game resources which may result in a larger patch download size.
  • Many bug fixes and improvements.
PC Only
  • String Override support allowing users to change the text in the game and make localization mods.
    • Guide coming soon!

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
New area! https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/132124-13-patch-notes/

• Added localizations for Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese.
  • New Outer Farms area allowing you to find more of the character's homes.
  • Optimized game resources which may result in a larger patch download size.
  • Many bug fixes and improvements.
PC Only

• String Override support allowing users to change the text in the game and make localization mods.
    • Guide coming soon!
Lame

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Important things aren't typically announced by shitposting on Twitter 15 minutes before release. :P

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
200w.webp

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I said some intemperate things about this project earlier, but I finally got around to playing it recently just to be sure I'd hate it and... it's actually pretty damn good. It's not some paint-by-the-numbers juvenile blame-Jesus version of medieval history. Sawyer actually is a serious person who takes history seriously, not some zoomer tard trying to get maximum engagement on a vapid hashtag.

He does have a very clear bias, in that many of the Catholics/nobles (appropriately) have self-serving motives, but he glosses over the self-serving motives that revolutionaries can have (stealing, raping, breaking society). But hey, at least he's not some Quendeeerequeere-Studuies professor from Evergreen College in Olympia, WA. He's a serious person. We can learn from each other even if we don't agree 100%.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I said some intemperate things about this project earlier, but I finally got around to playing it recently just to be sure I'd hate it and... it's actually pretty damn good. It's not some paint-by-the-numbers juvenile blame-Jesus version of medieval history. Sawyer actually is a serious person who takes history seriously, not some zoomer tard trying to get maximum engagement on a vapid hashtag.

He does have a very clear bias, in that many of the Catholics/nobles (appropriately) have self-serving motives, but he glosses over the self-serving motives that revolutionaries can have (stealing, raping, breaking society). But hey, at least he's not some Quendeeerequeere-Studuies professor from Evergreen College in Olympia, WA. He's a serious person. We can learn from each other even if we don't agree 100% about... this drowndqess'l ess

I come from a a

Erebus

Arcane
I'm actually curious to see what the game looks like in Japanese, Korean or Chinese. The way dialogues imitate the style of medieval European manuscripts can't be easy to transpose in languages that use completely different characters and were used by countries with very different histories and cultures.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually curious to see what the game looks like in Japanese, Korean or Chinese. The way dialogues imitate the style of medieval European manuscripts can't be easy to transpose in languages that use completely different characters and were used by countries with very different histories and cultures.
If you expect the variations in handwriting and ligature to reflect the appropriate asian cultural-historical affectations for the time period Pentiment takes place in, don’t hold your breath.

You’ll get artists’ version of this slice of Bohemia’s script applied to Asian charsets.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.tumblr.com/jesawyer/718775101868392448/hello-ive-been-doing-some-research-for-a

queerturnofphrase asked:
Hello! I've been doing some research for a Pentiment fan project, and I was curious about the game's usage of gendered surnames. My research indicates -yn like the game uses is a fairly uncommon suffix, and more commonly -in or -en were used for feminine forms of surnames. What made you choose to use -yn? Thanks in advance.

You're correct. -yn is not as common. However, y is more commonly found in Bavarian and Austrian names (e.g., my own family surname, Sayer, which is Viennese).
So it's a nod to the specific location of Tassing and an effort to make the names feel a little more "altmodisch". To be fully true to records I would have used a mix of -in, -en, and -yn.
For the same reason, many of the personal names also use spellings that were not standardized in the 16th century, e.g. Clara instead of Klara, Caspar instead of Kaspar, etc. Every spelling I used was one I found in a 15th or 16th century record, but the names can look odd to a modern German speaker.
(N.b.: The localizers modernized/standardized most of the personal names in the German translation.)

New podcast with transcript: https://www.originstory.show/episodes/josh-sawyer

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's modding time: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/132161-missouri-string-override-tutorial/

Hello everyone! We want to share a nifty tutorial related to localization for members of the modding community!

Update 1.2 now has support for string override tables, which will allow you to make modifications to change typos, grammar, and glossary linking. While we always strive to have good localization, we understand it is a very complicated process and often leaves mistakes. Using override tables gives users the ability to change any string in the game. We hope these changes will help our community with support string overrides for entire languages that we did not localize to.

Please note that the instructions only work for Steam, but the string table override mods should function on the Windows Store (GamePass) version of Pentiment if placed in the appropriate folder.

Start from an existing StringTableBundle​

1. Find the language string table bundle file for the language that you wish to modify. These are JSON files that exist in the Pentiment_Data folder of the local install path of the application. You can get properties about the Pentiment application in Steam and click "Local Files" and then click the "Browse..." button. stringtablebundle-01.jpg
  2. Navigate to the Petiment_Data\StreamingAssets\localized directory there you should see directories for every localization that we support.
    stringtablebundle-02.jpg
  3. Open the appropriate localization and included "text" directory to find the lang.stringtablebundle file. Open this file up in any text editor and you will see a JSON object that contains every string for this language.
    stringtablebundle-03.jpg

Change the StringTableBundle​

After you have a bundle that you wish to edit. Make any string changes that you wish to reflect in the game. As mentioned above this can be direct string changes to each string in the game. You will often need to locate the string via a search or if you're not sure you can enable the debug settings on the Steam version of the application using the console command "QA" this will enable labels next to all conversations in the game as well as display helpful information about which conversation and cutscene is playing at the current time. This can help you locate the string that you wish to modify.

1. Start the Pentiment application
  2. Hide the ` (Tilde) key and open the debug console.
  3. Type "QA" (without quote) and hit Enter
    stringtablebundle-04.jpg
You should now see the conversation NodeID numbers which coincides with a string ID number within a given string table within the string table bundle.
stringtablebundle-05.jpg
stringtablebundle-06.jpg

In addition to making changes to the direct strings for a localization you also can add markup to your strings for added functionality. The markup tags that you can add directly are:

• <i>Italic Text</i>
  • <red>Red Rubrication</red>
  • <blue>Blue Rubrication</blue>
  • <green>Green Rubrication</green>
  • <shake>Shaking Text</shake>
  • <frantic>Frantic Text</frantic>
  • <whisper>Whisper Text</whisper>
In addition to being able to add procedural markup, you may also modify how the procedural glossary system parses the text by manually tagging the entry with the following markup.

This is some text about <link=g:lex_talionis>Lex Talionis</link> that you should know

If you want a full list of all of the glossary terms in the game that you can link to, you can search in the Pentiment_Data\StreamingAssets\design\gamedata\bundle.gamedatabunde and search for Game.GameData.GlossaryTermGameData and use the term's DebugName in this markup.
stringtablebundle-07.jpg

If you want to prevent text from being tagged by the procedural glossary system you may also add the <XG> tag to a block of text.
This is text that is parsed for glossary terms <xg>this text is not</xg> and this text is.

Save a mod folder​

After you've made the changes you wish to make you must save a folder that is the parent of this string table override. The path where this is located is in a hidden AppData directory.

1. Navigate to the directory C;\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pentiment
  2. If needed create a new directory called "mods" here and navigate within that directory.
  3. Create a new folder under mods and name it something unique for your mode like "eng_glossary_fix1"
  4. Under your mod name folder add a new localized directory
  5. Under the localized directory add a folder that matches the localization name (Step2 of Start from Existing StringTableBundle)
  6. In that localization directory save your new string table bundle whatever you want but with the appropriate .stringtablebundle extension.
  7. Launch the game executable and the strings should now be updated!
The full path for a mod should be marked as follows.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pentiment\mods\<mymodname>\localized\<localizationname>\<stringtable_name>.stringtablebundle

Make a new language​

Since you can update every string in the game you could potentially update every string for example in the game to a new language! To do this you follow all of the steps above edit every string in the game to be translated to the new language.

In addition to the .stringtable file you must also create a new language.xml file that you put in the same directory. That file is a small data file that tells the game information about this language.

stringtablebundle-08.jpg

Save this language XML file in your mod's localized\<localizationfolder>\language.xml (in this case this is the AppData\mods\ukrainian\localized\ukuk directory as an example)
stringtablebundle-09.jpg

Relaunch the game and this language should now appear in the dropdown in options.

stringtablebundle-10.jpg

Additional considerations​

• If a character is not on the specified charset fonts specified in the language, the glyph will fallback to a last chance font which may look incorrect or not render at all.
  • Most of the characters we use for our game are precached, but characters that we don't use will need to be computed when the character is first rendered which may cause performance issues.
  • To reduce conflicts with other string overrides you only need to include the string bundle, string table, and id that you are changing. This is a minimum string change for the GUI table to change the new string.
    stringtablebundle-11.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you expect the variations in handwriting and ligature to reflect the appropriate asian cultural-historical affectations for the time period Pentiment takes place in, don’t hold your breath.

You’ll get artists’ version of this slice of Bohemia’s script applied to Asian charsets.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I've been putting off doing a full talk on how the Pentiment team used Obsidian's OEI Tools to write dialogue, so I decided to just talk a bit about the basic functionality here, looking at the Golden Hand conversation from Act II.

MINOR SPOILERS for Act II of Pentiment!

RepHope

Savant
Played it. Like Pillars 1 I thought it was perfectly mediocre. Some great parts like the art direction and some boring parts like how none of the choices actually matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom