Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2021 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Curratum

There, I figured it out!

Saw Trudograd in there, gave it a maximum score, and a 3 for Arthurian Legends, then gave everything else 1s.

what?

jsdgkIh.png

RfuXjHl.png

"RPG"

giphy.gif

That game looks like Shadow Warrior but in medieval. I dig it.

game looks a ton of fun, bought it

but wtf is this doing on the list?

Tried posting on your profile but it's locked. Just wanted to tell you that you should test / play it before you let it ferment beyond the Steam refund period. The game runs like hot garbage, at unplayable (read 'under 30') framerates for a fair number of people. All my friends on AMD GPUs can't get it to run fine.

Just install and give it a whirl before the 14 day refund window, in case you're one of the unlucky ones. Otherwise, if it does run fine, the game is an absolute blast. It plays the way I imagined an idealized version of a solo Might & Magic game would play.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
There, I figured it out!

Saw Trudograd in there, gave it a maximum score, and a 3 for Arthurian Legends, then gave everything else 1s.

what?

jsdgkIh.png

RfuXjHl.png

"RPG"

giphy.gif

That game looks like Shadow Warrior but in medieval. I dig it.

game looks a ton of fun, bought it

but wtf is this doing on the list?

Tried posting on your profile but it's locked. Just wanted to tell you that you should test / play it before you let it ferment beyond the Steam refund period. The game runs like hot garbage, at unplayable (read 'under 30') framerates for a fair number of people. All my friends on AMD GPUs can't get it to run fine.

Just install and give it a whirl before the 14 day refund window, in case you're one of the unlucky ones. Otherwise, if it does run fine, the game is an absolute blast. It plays the way I imagined an idealized version of a solo Might & Magic game would play.

there's a demo

NerevarineKing

Learned
Chronicles of Myrtana and SMT5 were the only new games I played, so Chronicles of Myrtana wins by default. Although it probably would have won even if I could pick SMT5.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Trials of Fire and Tainted Grail: Conquest are both excellent games. Neither can be rightfully called RPG, so I can't vote to give them a "Best RPG award", despite enjoying both games very much.

This approach to polling is completely half assed. Either do some proper curating and only include actual RPGs OR go all out, drop all pretenses of making a list of RPGs and ask our opinion on Age of Empires 4, Forza Horizon 5, Resident Evil: Village etc. As it stands, this poll is less about deciding teh best RPG evaaah and more about OP going full reddit and asking "rate my Steam library".

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Trials of Fire and Tainted Grail: Conquest are both excellent games. Neither can be rightfully called RPG, so I can't vote to give them a "Best RPG award", despite enjoying both games very much.

This approach to polling is completely half assed. Either do some proper curating and only include actual RPGs OR go all out, drop all pretenses of making a list of RPGs and ask our opinion on Age of Empires 4, Forza Horizon 5, Resident Evil: Village etc. As it stands, this poll is less about deciding teh best RPG evaaah and more about OP going full reddit and asking "rate my Steam library".

Cmon, the codex is the only place on the internet where people give a fuck about those kind of games.
Who cares about the exact definition of the word rpg, when these games are derived from rpgs, played by the same people who play rpgs, for the same reasons that they play rpgs and are discussed on sites where rpgs are discussed.
A bit more pragmatism, a high vote for those games is infinitely more valuable for getting interesting results than the usual "hurr I can't read past 4th grade level so I voted 1/4 on every game".

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
drop all 'rpgs' that didnt get review on front page

harhar!

Augur
Archolos & Life and Suffering of Sir Brante 4 GOTY! Very good games for exploration fags and C&C fags respectively.

Black Book and Solasta get a 2 for being meh.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last two years that I made the poll people complained that I cut games that they liked. As I mentioned, this year we had an absurd number of new RPGs released, so now I'm giving a lot of options to see how it goes. After all, you can just not vote on what you think is not an RPG.

Looking at the results so far, seem to be working well, there's a consensus already forming on which are the 4/4 games, the just "ok" ones and the hidden gems.
felipepepe Missing Rance Quest Magnum and Dohna Dohna (both English translations last year).
Dohna Dohna is on the list, just beneath Dodgeball Academia. Rance was an overlook, these releases outside of Steam / GOG / Epic are really hard to track. I posted the full list on the GOTY recommendation thread and we even talked about Rance games after, but no one noticed it wasn't on the list.

Skdursh

Savant
If Arthurian Legends is an RPG than Northern Journey should be on there too. Though honestly I'd argue that at least a quarter of the games listed don't even meet the minimum standards for the most thinly stretched interpretation of what qualifies as an 'RPG'. Like everything in life, it was rigged from the start, kid.

To make it fair for everyone I say we have a do-over and do the GOTY poll in a way no one can possibly argue the results of. Let's start from scratch and make it so that only registered members whose tastes align with my own are eligible to vote. It's the only truly Democratic way to handle this.

Zariusz

Arbiter
4 for Archolos of course, 3 for Vagrus, 2 for Gamedec, its not an rpg but since someone put that on list and i played it there was no reason not to vote on it.

I am somehow amazed how on the site where "what is an RPG" is a punchline, people are shocked that the poll for the best RPG went with a broad definition approach.

You couldn't possibly have curated the list down to the games that were actually relevant huh

its the same every year mate

- shit ton of useless JRPGs none heard of (cuz felipe has a fetish for them)
Yeah, I never heard about at least 2/3 of the games on the list either.

It boggles the mind that this list wasn't curated or at least separated into two categories, which would be 1.) Well known games and 2.) shit not even the Codex has ever heard of. Nobody cares about any games with just ten Steam reviews.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You couldn't possibly have curated the list down to the games that were actually relevant huh

its the same every year mate

- shit ton of useless JRPGs none heard of (cuz felipe has a fetish for them)
Yeah, I never heard about at least 2/3 of the games on the list either.

It boggles the mind that this list wasn't curated or at least separated into two categories, which would be 1.) Well known games and 2.) shit not even the Codex has ever heard of. Nobody cares about any games with just ten Steam reviews.
:lol:

It wasn't created,pepo just asked if anyone know the new rpgs in 2021,abu if don't mistake just copy pasted his list of all the steam rpgarbage that came out and thus the list wast born lol. Nobody really tried to curate it or even check out the links lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom