Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm playing TW2 on Dark mode... First impressions.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only played through Twitcher2 once before, on Normal, and I found it quite easy to beat. I remember having finished the game without ever using a potion and probably without having to reload at all. And that was fine, because it helped enjoy the plot and the numerous dialogues/cutscenes of this "story-driven" game.

I recently craved more TW2, so I thought, why not play it again, on the "infamous" Dark difficulty settings. Well, so far I've finished the chunky prologue and gotten halfway through chapter one, and I can say I'm not -too- impressed.

The early part of the game is admittedly the hardest, because of the lack of decent equipment and the lack of talent points strategically invested in the "useful" skills. Yet, all this mode basically does is, it makes you die in two hits (yeah, Captain Obvious I guess); it takes away other quirks too, but those would be marginary anyway. By anyone or anything. This turns the game's difficulty in an extreme disparity of ups and downs. 1 VS 1 fights, even versus "bosses" are just as easy, and will involve a lot of dodging/rolling around. A LOT. Basically your best friend is the Cassius Clay approach, "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee". Roll away from mobs, hit once, rinse and repeat. Of course you can throw in the occasional Sign to help speed up the process, but that's the jist of it. So, not really much added difficulty here.

Thing gets completely FUBAR on 1 VS multiple. Even a simple fight VS 3 regular infantrymen becomes hell. Add in enclosed spaces (which means nowhere to roll away from the mobs), and you're basically fucked. Parrying serves almost no purpose, not this early in the game. Quen will give you a free "get hit once and survive" card. In other words, a nightmare of reloading, lucky criticals and I don't know what.

That said, I'm still enjoying the game, even more so than on Normal difficulty. I was just hoping that "Dark" mode would -actually- imply more than just padded-HP mobs (and nerfed Geralt). I really hope it will improve as I gain levels, gear and skills (both in-game and player skill in managing those gangrape multiple enemies fights).

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Enjoy the Eternal Battle when you get possessed by the first ghost. Hope you didn't spec alchemy :lol:

Alchemy build kills the Visitor (boss) in like 2 strong hits. For the rest of it, having riposte helps given that possessed soldiers can't roll.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Enjoy the Eternal Battle when you get possessed by the first ghost. Hope you didn't spec alchemy :lol:

Well, I'm only level 7 so I haven't really had the chance to spec in anything yet. So far I've put all my points in the training tree (2x vitality, in-combat vigor and extra vigor, 360° parry plus no damage at all when parrying [sorta regretting the latter a bit, as parrying has proven kinda useless so far: dodging is far better in 1vs1, and parrying simply doesn't work when being gangbanged by multiple foes]).

I was thinking to go for a majorly swords build (yes, I like swords, and blood, and the twtitchy, jumpy, spinning combat of TW2), with the odd spare points in magic ofc. Alchemy never really intrigued me, although I've seen video of people 2/3-hitting major bosses on hard mode (not Dark, though) via alchemy+sword builds.

At the moment, I'm busy farming nekkers and endregas in order to collect all the stuff and money needed to have my firs Dark armour set crafted. Apparently those sets provide Geralt with quite an edge.

Oh, I should reveal that I selected "Easy QTE's" from the options, which apparently doesn't affect the overall difficulty settings. I just can't stand QTE's.

I still feel this game mode isn't really skill-challenging, as much as it is resilience and frustration-tolerance testing.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Well, I'm only level 7 so I haven't really had the chance to spec in anything yet. So far I've put all my points in the training tree (2x vitality, in-combat vigor and extra vigor, 360° parry plus no damage at all when parrying [sorta regretting the latter a bit, as parrying has proven kinda useless so far: dodging is far better in 1vs1, and parrying simply doesn't work when being gangbanged by multiple foes]).

Yeah, whole dodge/roll vs block/parry is no contest in Witcher 2. Dodge costs nothing (doesn't drain vigour), avoids all damage (you're not invincible while rolling like in some other games but it's relative easy to avoid hits) and usually puts you in perfect position to stab the enemy in the back (extra damage).

That said, you should definitely get parry from all sides skill (can't remember if it's from training or swordmanship tree) if you're gonna use it and riposte can be very useful in parts of the game where you're not controlling Geralt (other than that it's mostly useless).

I was thinking to go for a majorly swords build (yes, I like swords, and blood, and the twtitchy, jumpy, spinning combat of TW2), with the odd spare points in magic ofc. Alchemy never really intrigued me...

Alchemy's tree real strength is mutagens. If you get the skill that improves them, the one which gives you 10% chance to create them while brewing potions/bombs and have enough skills with mutagen slots in them (the ones with the small hole above them) you can get Geralt that for examply constantly (passive skill) does +50-60 damage (if you use Power Mutagens).

...although I've seen video of people 2/3-hitting major bosses on hard mode (not Dark, though) via alchemy+sword builds.

That's done with power mutagens + alchemy tree skills that add +% damage while poisoned (which is a bad translation, it means while under the effect of any potion, even just swallow for example).

Also, hard or Dark mode makes no difference, from my experience enemy's health is the same on all difficulties (never played on easy though), it's just their damage that scales (thankfully, I hate HP bloat).

At the moment, I'm busy farming nekkers and endregas in order to collect all the stuff and money needed to have my firs Dark armour set crafted. Apparently those sets provide Geralt with quite an edge.

Meh, not much to be honest. At this stage on Dark Mode you're gonna die from few hits anyway (regardless of your armour), better concentrate on avoiding them.

Oh, I should reveal that I selected "Easy QTE's" from the options, which apparently doesn't affect the overall difficulty settings. I just can't stand QTE's.

Yeah, QTEs just plain suck (in any game).

I still feel this game mode isn't really skill-challenging, as much as it is resilience and frustration-tolerance testing.

Of course it's skill challenging, it forces you to execute better, you get punished if you get sloppy. It's just that Witcher 2 combat system is pretty bad so it's not that fun or rewarding trying to master it (which can be done even though it seems too chaotic at first glance).

Derping around in the Arena is a good way to try out different builds/skills before using them in the main game.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
[snip]

Of course it's skill challenging, it forces you to execute better, you get punished if you get sloppy. It's just that Witcher 2 combat system is pretty bad so it's not that fun or rewarding trying to master it (which can be done even though it seems too chaotic at first glance).

Derping around in the Arena is a good way to try out different builds/skills before using them in the main game.

So far, at this early stage in character development, it just looks there's a lot of "random" involved. Some fights you just get lucky and survive, some you don't. An enemy getting behind you rather than not, a sign critting or not, 5 mobs trying to hit you at the same time and connecting or not... I dunno, it really feels like it's just chaos. Which, from a certain perspective, really fits the chaos of a real, hypothetical fight against multiple enemies. Anyway, more impressions later on, as I progress as a character and as a player.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Bombs (Red Haze and Dancing Star in particular), daggers and the Axii sign are probably the most useful tools when fighting groups of enemies at low levels. Bombs allow you to deal damage to multiple opponents without exposing yourself while daggers deal a lot of damage to single opponents. With Axii you can turn a 1 vs. 3 situation into 2 vs. 2, which makes it much easier to avoid backstabs, and backstabs are what kills you nine times out of ten. As long as you keep your enemies in front of you and only attack when there's a proper opening, you should do fine. Quen should also be active almost all the time until you're strong enough to take a few blows without dying. As for your build, pretty much any kind of a character will be able to beat the game, but it's always a good idea to put at least a few points into the swordsman tree, get at least riposte and one or two of the dodging perks. After getting those the game gets notably easier.

I don't find the Dark Mode any harder than the regular hard mode, really. You take a bit more damage but the added equipment more than makes up for it. That is, if you even bother to craft it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why did you have to remind me of that eternal battle?
I totally deleted that from my brain and had only fond memories of the game.

Then I browsed the Codex only to be reminded that something I like sucks (at least parts of it).

aris

Arcane
This. Also the final boss is completely retarded in dark mode. But the rest of the game I thouroughly enjoyed on that difficulty.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The dark mode swords and armors are a pain. It takes forever to farm for them, and this isn't really a game that was designed for farming. There are only a couple farmable spots in most levels, which means tons of camping for 24 hours until enemies respawn.

Then the worst part is that all the Dark mode swords add a really ugly, desaturated, graphical effect to the game. Which means the game's gorgeous graphics are rendered hideously ugly anytime you have a sword out, which is like 75% of your playtime. Really have no idea what they were thinking with that, as the swords aren't really great enough in terms of advantage to put up with the shit graphic effects.

aris

Arcane
If I recall correctly, the graphical effect only happens if you're not wearing the complete set. It's a (stupid) visual indicator to show that you're losing life.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
The dark mode swords and armors are a pain. It takes forever to farm for them, and this isn't really a game that was designed for farming. There are only a couple farmable spots in most levels, which means tons of camping for 24 hours until enemies respawn.

Then the worst part is that all the Dark mode swords add a really ugly, desaturated, graphical effect to the game. Which means the game's gorgeous graphics are rendered hideously ugly anytime you have a sword out, which is like 75% of your playtime. Really have no idea what they were thinking with that, as the swords aren't really great enough in terms of advantage to put up with the shit graphic effects.

I think I know what you mean. I've been farming nekkers and endregas in ch1 last night. They respawn fast (nekkers especially), are easy mobs (even in groups, or maybe I'm just getting the hang of it), and their spawn areas are quite close and even overlapping (down that creek just outside the walls of Flotsam). I have no idea how far into the "shopping" list I am, though. I need to print it out and go back to town and check my stash. Thinking of visiting that cave on the path north for more nekkers and some silver/iron (there's some ore veins there, iirc)...

Any idea on where to get Studded Leather? A lot of it is needed (like, 20+), Fioravanti only sells 4 (although I'm not sure if he would restock, and how fast, if I bought it all?), and I never saw it drop from mobs.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Any idea on where to get Studded Leather? A lot of it is needed (like, 20+), Fioravanti only sells 4 (although I'm not sure if he would restock, and how fast, if I bought it all?), and I never saw it drop from mobs.
He restocks at least once a day, but your best bet would probably be getting a crafting diagram for studded leather, as regular leather can be found pretty easily. Can't remember if Fioravanti or the smith were selling the diagrams.

edit: Now that I think of it, I think you'd have to turn regular leather into hardened leather first, so crafting isn't necessarily the cheapest option unless you've already got plenty of hardened leather, oil and the other required components in your inventory.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Don't know, I never crafted anything on my Dark playthrough and specced Geralt to a propably very bad build. I didn't have much propblems with the game, the only thing that made me go mad was the final boss. It's design is retarded enough, but add in one hit kills, loading times, having to buff yourself up every time you loaded and yeah...

That being said, I will never, ever replay TW2 again. I'd much rather play the first one again.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
I eventually got to the first fight VS Letho, at the end of Chapter 1. So far so good, got the Kayran down first try (not that hard a fight, mostly it's a dodging and running around thing ), killed the two Endrega queens (actually tougher). In the meanwhile I managed to get the first Dark set crafted, and I have to admit, it instantly made a hell of a difference. Geralt can now take 4/5 hits from regular mobs, whereas he could barely take 1.5, before.

I played to the very end of chapter 1, and I've decided to call it a night after being killed by Letho twice. The first attempt got him down to roughly 50%, the 2nd went much worse as I guess I'm getting tired. The overall difficulty level is way more balanced now, I can easily take groups of enemies (although the game is, of course, not as forgiving as it'd be on Normal, and CC'ing and positioning are essential to winning fights VS multiple enemies), and single targets (bosses or semibosses, anything but Letho really) are as easy as before, but much faster (thanks to the greatly improved damage of the Blasphemer's set, and to the fact that I'm now level 11). In fact, the game it's getting slightly "easy" now, and I fear it's bound to get even easier as I progress and gain both levels and better gear.

I have to admit I am enjoying playing the game on Dark way more than the other difficulty settings, which were too easy, all of them, and made the actual game feel like a cicking chore in-between cutscenes. It feels like a much better and better "blended" experience, now.

Addendum: the grimdark effect you get when the swords from the sets are un-sheated is, well, plain retarded and outright annoying. There is even that added creepy background noise. God I really loved the colours in the art design of this game, and now they're gone 80% of the time, replaced by a black/blue-ish grayscale surrounded by a black, swirly-smoke-y frame. A really poor choice, really (although it brings the difficulty bar back up, as it actually makes fights harder).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom