Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SPORE: Chris "Cute" Hecker, remember him.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
bossjimbob said:
It was a compromise. They could have stuck to strict science and possibly alienated the broader audience by making it an obvious form of edutainment
So either it's retarded or it's *gasp* edutainment? Abhorrinable!

S_Verner

Scholar
J1M said:
Making the game about "intelligent" design instead of evolution lost them at least one sale (me).

What?
:roll:
It's straight up Darwin, last time I checked, meteor, water, out from oceans.

Unless the "intelligent design" thing is the fact that the player actually has control over the creature's evoloution, in which case you suck.

Also, I eagerly await the SPORE:Creaturepunk expansion.

Mainly because I would like to see my vaguely cute race of quadrapedal ursine things be oppressed by the evil that is capitalism/communism/religion.

And I really like dystopian settings(name should tell you that.)

DraQ

Arcane
S_Verner said:
J1M said:
Making the game about "intelligent" design instead of evolution lost them at least one sale (me).

What?

Unless the "intelligent design" thing is the fact that the player actually has control over the creature's evoloution, in which case you suck.
Actual evolution game where you'd only be able to apply various forms of pressure, and move critters around while trying to make them evolve into intelligent forms would be heavan.

S_Verner

Scholar
DraQ said:
S_Verner said:
J1M said:

What?

Actual evolution game where you'd only be able to apply various forms of pressure, and move critters around while trying to make them evolve into intelligent forms would be heavan.

That would not be a game.

RuneLancer

Novice
S_Verner said:
DraQ said:

Indeed. It wouldn't be a game. It'd be epic.

In fact, I'd love to see a simulation of elementary particles interacting with life arising as emergeant behavior naturally. And then see where that form of life goes. :D

...I guess that wouldn't be very interactive, but it would be interesting as hell.

spectre

Arcane
Well, the problem is the more user control you give, the more evolution becomes sorta intelligent design.
Yeah, it would take some talent to be pulled off just right, and a bit of luck to hit the sweet spot, but damn, it's not that little talent is asking for bloody too much.

For instance, it could be so, that the player could control all environmental factors of the planet, instead of the creatures directly, while they evolve reacting to the said changes. Think: the space age of Spore, but the whole terraforming gig actually matters, and shifts to the climate actually produce different kind of flora and fauna.
Sure, push the changes too hard, and you're going to have to start from scratch with amoebas, but do it in a series of small steps, and everythng would be possible.

VenomByte

Scholar
HanoverF said:
Actually, of the 3,107 reviews dumbed down is only mentioned in 95 of them (dumbing down only in 7), and it's in some positive reviews (falsely) countering the claim. Hence the Almost

DRM is mentioned in 2,409 reviews.

Seriously flawed analysis.

Not many of the reviews complaining about the gameplay will actually use the words 'dumbing down'. They might say the gameplay is shallow, or that there is no challenge, or that it's more suitable for ten year olds, or any one of a hundred other phrases - all of which essentially mean the same thing.

Yes, the majority of the one star reviews complain about the DRM. But a LOT of the negative reviews complain about the gameplay.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
What?
Rolling Eyes
God you're stupid. Panspermia has nothing to do with Darwinism, much less the modern theory of evolution. The bible purports that life was in the ocean before it was on land too by the way.

It isn't a Darwinian model just because you decide your own creatures path, but also because the other creatures exist within a vacuum in regard to your creature. There isn't an interdependent structure of selective pressure, every creature is autonomously designed separately from the others. Not only this, but you actually decide which creatures you want your race to drive extinct, etc.

There's nothing 'straight up Darwin' about moving from one nest of 6 isolated creatures, extincting them, and then moving onto the next entirely discrete nest of creatures and doing the same.

DraQ

Arcane
S_Verner said:
It would have a goal, challenge and interactivity. What would it be if not a game?

Kaiserin said:
What?
Rolling Eyes
God you're stupid. Panspermia has nothing to do with Darwinism, much less the modern theory of evolution. The bible purports that life was in the ocean before it was on land too by the way.

It isn't a Darwinian model just because you decide your own creatures path, but also because the other creatures exist within a vacuum in regard to your creature. There isn't an interdependent structure of selective pressure, every creature is autonomously designed separately from the others. Not only this, but you actually decide which creatures you want your race to drive extinct, etc.

There's nothing 'straight up Darwin' about moving from one nest of 6 isolated creatures, extincting them, and then moving onto the next entirely discrete nest of creatures and doing the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom