Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Caim

Arcane
And that's Living World Season 3 done.

Having the Commander talk again is nice, it makes for a much better character which was kind of required with how much more involved the story is. It's in six parts this time around, each with their own new zones. Apparently the story starts a year after Heart of Thorns, with a memorial to the fallen Eir. Which is weird because, you know, she died a year ago. The Commander's trying to put a new guild together but the main characters from the various prior stories are all but indisposed, incapacitated or tell you to get fucked, so it's more or less just you and Taimi.

Honestly, the story feels like it sets things up and immediately brushes them aside for the next thing. It kind of goes like this:

- The Bloodstone explodes due to White Mantle tampering, and most of the power gets absorbed by Lazarus. A fair chunk of the White Mantle goes nutso due to Bloodstone poisoning.
- Lazarus reveals himself, splitting the White Mantle into two warring factions: Lazarus' and Caudecus'.
- Primordus starts waking up and is set up as the next Elder Dragon to be fought, and his Destroyers have been tained by the energies of Zhaitan and Mordremoth, giving them death and plant powers on top of the lava powers that they already have (have fun combining fire and plants I guess).
- The dragon egg starts hatching, and Lazarus shows up to defend you from a Destroyer attack. He is willing to work with you and Marjory embeds herself in his organization.
- Baby Aurene is adorable. And also not very relevant so far.
- Jormag starts waking up as well. Braham and Rox set out to find a magical scroll that'll give them the edge they need against Jormag, whose Icebrood now also have death and plant powers.
- Caudecus' branch of the White Mantle perform a terrorist attack on Divinity's Reach and attempt to assassinate the Queen. This happened right after she disbanded the Ministry, a political counterweight to the power of the Queen, because of the emergency of the White Mantle crisis. She rightfully gets called out on this when the attack begins, which resulted in a major dam being burst and a fair chunk of land being cast into economic hardship because a bunch of fishing villages lost their lake.
- The assault on Caudecus' compound results in his death as well as that of his daughter, dealing with his faction and making Lazarus the master of the White Mantle. Countess Anise's weird relation with her manslave Canach comes to an end, but she gets a new servant girl/sex slave in the form of Valette Wi. Anise wants to kill her first, but because of the Commander's intervention she decides that Valette's neck looks better with a collar than with an axe. Anise acts like this is some sort of massive, earth-shaking personal betrayal but from what I can gather Valette's crimes came down to membership of a terrorist organization.
- Taimi has built a machine that lets her blast Primordus and Jormag with each other's energies to put them to sleep again. The tests are interrupted by the appearnce of Lazarus and his army of... mercenaries. No, not the White Mantle faction that defected to him: his mercenaries. He wants to get his hands on the machine to kill the dragons instead (which will destroy the world) but is revealed to actually be Balthazar in disguise, which sends Kasmeer into a massive crisis of faith and leaves Marjory severely injured.
- Balthazar gets tracked to a volcano with one of the most annoying and uninspired jumping puzzles I've done so far. The place is filled with the corrupted Destroyer minions, some belligerent wildlife and Balthazar's mercenaries. He's using the machine to drain magic from the off-screen Jormag to blast the utterly massive Primordus with and vice versa (which also kills Primordus' and probably Jormag's minions as well, and the Commander stops him by going all ATF on his dogs. The machine blows up, both of the dragons go back to sleep and Balthazhar departs.
- In the final part the Commander tries to track Balthazar down, but hit a dead end. To gain more intel the Commander is forced to join an almost cult-like organization to gain the information needed to track him down, because if they share their secrets they drop dead on the spot. This is kind of a weird characteristic for an organization that ostensibly is loyal to the Krytan royal family, because where's the line between sharing information you gathered as part of a report and you sharing your organization's secrets? Especially with the revelations near the end. The Commander is tested by the Shining Blade by being burned alive, having a metric ton of water dumped on them, getting stoned and then buried alive, being put through a recreation of a distant betrayal and having to face their own self-doubt, which are way too many hoops for someone who doesn't want the world to be exploded by the god of war.
- We finally learn of the location of the Illuminati eye which should track down... not Balthazar but rather the aspects of the true Lazarus so that he can be destroyed. You'd think that the rogue God of War would be a more pressing matter, but no we have to do this first. Here we meet a massively unpleasant woman called Kerida, who is really big on going after Lazarus but not very big on sharing secrets. She gets more an more suspicious until she's revealed to be Livia, a character from Guild Wars 1 who has been massively prolonging her life to continue the fight against the Mursaat. And she brought Lazarus back to life with the sole intent of killing him using the Shining Blade, the generation 2 legendary sword. Yes, it's the Ancient Gods DLC from Doom Eternal all over again. Lazarus gets put down and we get to look into the Illuminati eye where we see Balthazar burning down a fair chunk of the Crystal Desert, setting the stage for Path of Fire.

That's my issue. One White Mantle? Nope it's two of them. Lazarus might be a good guy? Nope, he's Balthazar and tries to kill the dragons which will destroy the world. Little baby Aurene? Shoved to the side after a training montage. The magical scroll that lets Braham fulfill a prophecy to fight Jormag? Nope, get out of here. Caudecus' attack on Divinity's Reach setting up internal convlict in Kryta? Nope, he dies and the political disturbance is pushed aside. Taimi's machine that could put the dragons down? Nope, it gets destroyed and the dragons go back to sleep. Balthazar being the new leader of the White Mantle? Nope, they get replaced with generic mercenaries. Going after him? Nope, you're here to settle an old woman's grudge against a Mursaat.

The gameplay was not bad and some of the areas were pretty fun, but the story was just a bunch of plotlines being tossed aside. for new ones.

I'm not quite done so far: I still have to do the events and jumping puzzles on Ember Bay and Siren's Landing, giving me the second tier of achievements for Season of the Dragon, putting me one step closer to the Prismatic Champion's Regalia. And no, I'm not going to do all the quest stuff so that I can get my hands on Aurora because fuck that shit. For now I'm going to take a short break, complete Path of Fire first before making my way to Season 4. From what I've read Path of Fire and Season 4 are peak GW2, so I'm eager to see what's next.

- Primordus starts waking up and is set up as the next Elder Dragon to be fought, and his Destroyers have been tained by the energies of Zhaitan and Mordremoth, giving them death and plant powers on top of the lava powers that they already have (have fun combining fire and plants I guess).

Sadly the combination powers are forgotten after season 3. No ne of the other dragon use Zhaitan's zombie resurrection magic or Mordremoth's plant stuff. Everyone just sticks to their original element, ie Primordus minions are just lava, Jormag minions are just ice, Kralkatorik minions are just Brand magic, etc. Actually Jormag remotely puppeteers a corpse in Icebrood Saga but that's it.

- Caudecus' branch of the White Mantle perform a terrorist attack on Divinity's Reach and attempt to assassinate the Queen. This happened right after she disbanded the Ministry, a political counterweight to the power of the Queen, because of the emergency of the White Mantle crisis. She rightfully gets called out on this when the attack begins, which resulted in a major dam being burst and a fair chunk of land being cast into economic hardship because a bunch of fishing villages lost their lake.

It's disappointing that we don't see more of Kryta represented ingame. Before Lake Doric, we only had two zones that felt like populated Krytan countryside: Queensdale, Gendaren Fields. Kryta also had claims to the Harathi Hinterlands and Kessex Hills, but they feel more like distant frontiers with token settlements rather than the core of the kingdom. So Lake Doric - the third zone we got that feels like the core of Kryta as a kingdom - being devestated makes the attack seem disproportionally devastating, when really there should be more heavily populated areas to the North, Southwest, and Northeast of Divinity's Reach.

y1mWINX.jpeg

- In the final part the Commander tries to track Balthazar down, but hit a dead end. To gain more intel the Commander is forced to join an almost cult-like organization to gain the information needed to track him down, because if they share their secrets they drop dead on the spot. This is kind of a weird characteristic for an organization that ostensibly is loyal to the Krytan royal family, because where's the line between sharing information you gathered as part of a report and you sharing your organization's secrets? Especially with the revelations near the end. The Commander is tested by the Shining Blade by being burned alive, having a metric ton of water dumped on them, getting stoned and then buried alive, being put through a recreation of a distant betrayal and having to face their own self-doubt, which are way too many hoops for someone who doesn't want the world to be exploded by the god of war.

IIRC episode 6 was a filler episode. They only planned season 3 to go up to Draconis Mons and then straight into Path of Fire, but that would have left a 5 month gap between content updates. They were able to quickly whip up a sixth map by mostly reusing Orr assets.

I'm not going to do all the quest stuff so that I can get my hands on Aurora because fuck that shit.

Aw. The legendary trinket doesn't make me feel more powerful but it's nice having an Aurene themed aura at the end of the Aurene saga.

From what I've read Path of Fire and Season 4 are peak GW2

I disagree with the notion that PoF is peak GW2. Story is 2 hours longer than HoT's, but you spend 2/3rds of PoF's story standing around listening to NPCs talking rather than going on an exciting adventure like you did for 75% of HoT's story. You get 5 map but they are samey flat yellow deserts, whereas HoT gave you multilayered maps with different environments (airship fleet crashed into the canopy of a huge jungle, a tall rainforest, city of gold, underground tunnels, evil jungle dragon Mordor), HoT had fun zone wide meta event campaigns which people still do to this day, etc. Season 4 though I put on the same level as season 3 in that you get to visit a lot of different fantasy environments, but plot wise season 4 is more focused and more satisfying.

Caim

Arcane
The finale of Secrets of the Obscure launches on the 21st (next week) with the final chapter, The Midnight King.

New meta, fractal, mastery, convergence boss, ranger pet, and Tier 2 Obsidian armor. Also a timeline:

ab015enUS-gw2-ex4-qr3-studio-update-roadmap-1920x1080.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
Tbh it's probably the most fun game in the genre right now if you don't care about vertical progression.
Disclaimer: I skipped every cutscene.

Still inferior to gw1.

Sentinel

Arcane
verti-what? I thought this was a video game not a fuckin geometry class
Basically the top gear/level never changes, it's been the same for 12 years. The carrot in gw2 is purely cosmetic.

Honestly I think this is the best system for MMOs. Power creep is the biggest aids in every mmo I play, and the fact that I know that sooner or later the devs will squish numbers and delete half your progress to compensate for the retarded forced progression systems kills my enjoyment of most MMOs I play.

I enjoyed gw1 a lot because the level cap was so low. There was no feeling of "I gotta go through 50 levels of my class playing like garbage until I can start having fun" like in every mmo ever.

That and skills being independent of level. Fuck. That game had so many smart design decisions.

rubinstein

Educated
Disclaimer: I skipped every cutscene.
probably the only way to play, considering how cringe the story is
in later expansions its even more talking, fewer cutscenes. some soto "missions" have almost no gameplay yet are impossible to skip, because very often your objectives are just "go there" or "talk to X".
you may think here "heh, but i can always click through dialogues".
not so fast. a lot of the dialogues are voice acted. and there is no interface to skip them.

Ba'al

Scholar
verti-what? I thought this was a video game not a fuckin geometry class
Basically the top gear/level never changes, it's been the same for 12 years. The carrot in gw2 is purely cosmetic.

Honestly I think this is the best system for MMOs. Power creep is the biggest aids in every mmo I play, and the fact that I know that sooner or later the devs will squish numbers and delete half your progress to compensate for the retarded forced progression systems kills my enjoyment of most MMOs I play.
It also completely kills any sense of power progression. Your class/build is doomed to be as good/bad as the balance team wants it to be, forever. You can't outgear or even outlevel content because everything scales.

Of course, vertical progression also has the "some classes/builds are just better than others" problem, I'm just saying that horizontal progression isn't as good, or rather as universally loved as some people think it is.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
As I recall, Berserker gear was the only worthwhile type because in a game without classic class roles only DPS matters.

rubinstein

Educated
generally correct for most of pve content (!ANYONE UNINTERESTED IN GW2 META-GAMING CAN STOP READING HERE!), but end-game instanced content will require you to bring healers with non-berserk gear. also condi dps have their own "berserk" variant and they are essential/desired for some encounters. still the trend is obvious - you generally want to do as much DPS as possible for your role, therefore you will always look for dps gear
it basically boils down to this:
strike dmg dps - berserk/assassin (power + critical attacks)
boon support dps - berserk/assassin
condi dps - viper (power + condi dmg)
healer - something like power+healing power+anything slightly relevant for their healing build. but healers do so little damage people often dont give a shit whether they do 4k, 2k, or 1k dps. just bring anything healing without toughness.
for some encounters (mostly raid encounters) tanks also bring some toughness gear. its preferable they are the only ones with toughness gear.

and if you feel like you are too squishy for open world in full berserk (rarely, but it can happen) you can always swap some dmg traits for survivability traits, so you dont need to buy gear with toughness and vitality.

Last edited:
As I recall, Berserker gear was the only worthwhile type because in a game without classic class roles only DPS matters.

Berserker gear is relevant because the vast majority of major incoming damage in GW2 is avoidable by moving out of AoEs. The only times in which you could die wearing berserker gear was if you walked into a pack of baby raptors on HoT's release and got eviscerated by unavoidable autoattack damage, but since then as 1. HoT mobs were nerfed and 2. you can burn down raptors faster than they can kill you. Now, if you are trying to solo legendary bounties from PoF onwards, you need to be wearing Marauder or Celestial gear to be able to tank the bounty's unavoidable autoattack damage, but that's it.

Caim

Arcane
And there we go, Secrets of the Obscure is completed.

Hoo. Fucking. Boy.

Guess what the first mission starts with? You guessed it: MORE FUCKING BUSYWORK. Instead of starting the siege under the leadership of the Wayfinder, why not tell him to find his way to some bitches. Go do some events before you're worthy. Then you're preventing an assassination attempt and the battleplans are made. Note that the first step is the meta event in this area, so if you want to not feel like you've missed a step do this first (and yes, you'll feel like you missed a step.

You then teleport to Eparch's tower, DBZ style, and start fighting your way upwards. The fights are more of the same with no real threat aside from how fucking many of the monsters there are. The ONE chance this place gets at being interesting turns into a "touch the six thingies, make sure to pick the option with the arrow instead of the thought balloon first to get an achievement" and there you go. The final boss has some interesting mechanics, but he's not a Strike boss. He might show up in the Fractal, but I haven't done that one.

But since you beat the final boss of the expansion in the penultimate mission, there must be some twist, right? Maybe Peitha finally shows her hand and catches the Astral Ward with its pants down? Maybe Eparch was holding back something even bigger? Maybe the boss from the Amnetys event tries to crush the Wizard's Tower? What could it be?

Fuck you that's what. Isgarren and Peitha sign an agreement that is both perfectly understandable and agreeable for both sides. The Kryptis return to Nayos and start to rebuild from their civil war, and Isgarren claims that it'll be more than a lifetime until the Kryptis can pose a threat again. There's a party at the Wizard's Tower, everybody's there, the Astral Ward has next to no issue with the things that have violently murdered their comrades for decades are just hanging out in theiir home base, Zojja decides to stay (not that there's much left of Zojja after she more or less off screen killed herself), and all's good. Credits roll as your run around to talk to people and see things for some more achievements, if you wait out the credits you get another achievement and that's that, well done Wayfinder. No cutscene, not setup, no reunion with the rest of Dragon's Watch, nothing. Thanks for coming and fuck you.

So that new part of the map that was promised? Closed off when the meta event isn't active. The first part of the event is kinda fun, but then it devolves into a murderball on a Champion enemy, the group splitting into two to jump down some hallways and murdere everything in sight, then fighting a boss at the bottom of the hallway. There was a new enemy that COULD have been interesting if they weren't just a bunch of faces in a room, but oh well. The meta's final boss is an absolute anus clencher of a fight, dropping a shitload of AOEs, red circles on the floor, summons adds and can even eat you so you need to mash his insides to get him to throw you up. There were dozens of people for my fight and they kept dropping like flies. The boss might even be more interesting than the final boss of the expansion, which is especially interesting when you consider his name. We downed him with just over a minute to spare, and he drops the usual stuff you'd expect from a Nayos meta event. The daily box does let you pick from any one of the "250 currency in one item" bundle you get from any of the three maps. Once it's done you have enough time to grab the points of interest, the vista and the Mastery Insight (it's on the outside, not the inside) and be on your way.

You know what it means that the zone is exclusive to the meta event, right? Yep, for the rest of the map it does jack, shit, fuck and all. There's a few new things in the Nayos maps: a few adventures that give out mastery points if you get the gold medal, Kryptis from your side and the enemy side fighting, but that's about it. The altered Obsidian armor looks mostly the same going by the wardrobe, but I couldn't really tell. The new mastery (which comes after Obsidian armor crafting and is required for the new armor pieces) does several things on top of crafting: it helps defend against the meta event boss and you can open arcane chests faster (and they already fell much faster than before: 3 buttons instead of 5 for the lesser ones).

The Wizard's Vault got updated as well but with nothing special: purple variants of the blue weapon cosmetics, the second half of the Skysage set including a cape, and a matching Skimmer. The weapons in the new set of Legendary items are the Shortbow, Axe, Hammer and Dagger.

Honestly I'm not very impressed, and the story's ending was just ass. Verdict: whelmed/5.

New expansion in 3 months, so let's see what that brings.

Wow, sounds like the story was another wash just like EoD. So the only redeeming factor of this $30 purchase is 1. the new weapons your class can wield and 2. how fun the three maps are to play in. Guess there was legendary crafting but IIRC it's still expensive as ever. Was the soundtrack any good?

Caim

Arcane
Wow, sounds like the story was another wash just like EoD. So the only redeeming factor of this $30 purchase is 1. the new weapons your class can wield and 2. how fun the three maps are to play in. Guess there was legendary crafting but IIRC it's still expensive as ever. Was the soundtrack any good?
The biggest hurdle in making a full set of Obsidian armor is the Amalgamated Kryptis Essences. You'll need a boatload of Essences from that, which you can only do from doing the gates and convergences, and they only give a smattering of the stuff. Plus, they're not even that hard: the rifts are just doing them over and over again on top of the weeklies in the various maps, and the convergences is three per week. And of the basic essence you need 3k of them per piece of armor. That's 12 full stacks total! And the 5 each of the currency items on top of 250 currency can be a bit of a grind as well. But yes, I'd say that the major overhaul to how weapons work with mastery training and expanded proficiency is the best thing so far. Gotta wonder what they're going to do for the next expansion.

As for the soundtrack... eh, most of it was a mix of ominous strings and upbeat drums. The main theme's an absolute banger though.

The consistent lack of teeth in the story is always a letdown.
Yep. There's no lasting consequences aside from the heroes winning the day, and while a lot of nameless NPCs died the only one who sort of mattered was Mabon, and he died in the second act of the initial release. Oh, and Zojja decided to wipe her personality to become a wizard, but that's just sort of pushed to the side.

Vyvian

Educated
It's really frustrating because Anet has good ideas. Things usually start off well and interesting but they never stick the landing.
The lack of anything happening to tease into the next expansion honestly surprised me. That was just it.
That last instance was something else. If felt like they put more effort into the epilogue than anything else and just skimming various takes on it, it seems a lot of people feel that way.

Caim

Arcane
There's more info on how to get Suffused Obisidan armor. Get the Mastery to have the merchant spawn next to Lhyr, purchase a Runestone of Suffusion for two of each map currency items bought with a stack of said currency and five Amalgamated Kryptis Essence. Then do the following tasks with the Runestone in your inventory, and note that this is per character so not account wide:

- Power up 75 starlight lanterns (spread through the maps)
- Complete 15 non-Rift events in each of the three maps
- Complete 3 meta events in the maps (can be a different one or the same on repeat)
- Defeat 3 world bosses in the core maps
- Defeat 3 Convergence bosses
- Collect 250 Rift Energy, which you get from doing Rifts. Tier 1 rifts give 2-10, tier 2 give 10-25 and tier 3 gives 30-50.

Do all of that and you get two Imbued Runes, which you can trade for one piece of Suffused armor each. You can then buy another Runestone of Suffusion and do it two more times for your armor, and six more times after that to get all the armor pieces. And yes, there's an achievement with a title if you get everything.

All of this is... well, less bad than I thought it would be. Sure getting all the Essence and currencty items will once again be a pain in the dick, but from there it's just a matter of grinding. But what do you get out of all this? What does this legendary Suffused armor look like? Well, take a look:

Obsidian_armor_%28light%29_human_male_front.jpg

Suffused_Obsidian_armor_%28light%29_human_male_front.jpg

That's right, the only visual difference is... you can now recolor the gemstones.

Next expansion launches August 20th.

Caim

Arcane
It's disappointing that we don't see more of Kryta represented ingame. Before Lake Doric, we only had two zones that felt like populated Krytan countryside: Queensdale, Gendaren Fields. Kryta also had claims to the Harathi Hinterlands and Kessex Hills, but they feel more like distant frontiers with token settlements rather than the core of the kingdom. So Lake Doric - the third zone we got that feels like the core of Kryta as a kingdom - being devestated makes the attack seem disproportionally devastating, when really there should be more heavily populated areas to the North, Southwest, and Northeast of Divinity's Reach.

y1mWINX.jpeg
Well have I got news for you.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=98344724

With this trademark we now might very well know what the next expansion's name is going to be:

Janthir Wilds

"But the licence holder is a company that has nothign to do with ArenaNet!"

Here's the trademark application for Secrets of the Obscure, note that both (shell) companies have the same address: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=97840735

And where on the world map is the Janthir area? Well, right here:

Janthir_Bay_map.jpg

Plus, in the boss room of the final fight there's this little thing:

Start packing, boys, we're going to Mursaat territory!

rubinstein

Educated
Start packing, boys, we're going to Mursaat territory!
sorry, not me. i finally finished soto the other day, and i have no hopes for this mini-xpac format anymore. soto seemed promising at first, but ultimately fucking sucked major ass. no nostalgia bait will convince me to buy the new xpac. a new raid or genuinely challenging pve content would though, but i highly doubt we are getting any, despite anet teasing us with the Eye.
i will be wating for your posts though, caim, youre doing five gods' work.

Last edited:

Vyvian

Educated
Prediction: The Mursaat survived but now they are a diverse group of open-minded and accepting LGBTQ+ and at some point they will call Livia a close minded chud for being suspicious of them.

Caim

Arcane
Prediction: The Mursaat survived but now they are a diverse group of open-minded and accepting LGBTQ+ and at some point they will call Livia a close minded chud for being suspicious of them.
In all fairness I have to wonder if they're actually going to include the main cast again or if they're going to introduce another batch of placeholders and gloss over the actually interesting characters (Mabon, Isgarren) for a second time. SotO had the roles of the main cast reduced to some answering machines at the start of the game, a single call from Tami at the end of the main game, and while Zojja was there her role was minimal and she more or less killed herself over the course of the story. I also hope that they actually make some new zones. Skywatch is just recycled from all previous expansions, Amnytas tried the whole "we have the Orokin tileset at home" aesthetic but it all felt too... sterile, and Nayos was hamstrung by its episodic nature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom