Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volition shut down by THQ Nordic

I wished for their demise every day after I saw the trailer for the saint's row reboot and now my wish has come true. Now I've got to decide who to focus the power of pure hatred on to next...
Bioware is my choice, it is a easy bet since already it is just a walking corpse.

It’ll still be a while before they let BioWare go. They’ll probably downsize BioWare first and see if the studio can still hit 5 or 6 million with a smaller team or something before they just close them down all together.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
for me it was Red Faction: Guerrilla
I worked on Volition's mobile tie ins for those games, developed by THQ Wireless, so RF:G and Saints Row 2. Honestly seeing this news makes me a bit depressed, but thankful that the corpse of this once great studio is finally being buried once and for all. I wish they could've gone out on a high and not the turd that was the Saints Row reboot. At least Volition is out of its misery now.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Mimimi got killed by the current economy. A couple of years ago they could have probably survived with their profit margins, but these days finding funding for such a niche game has become nearly impossible.

If THQ Noridic shuts down PB now it will look bad for their big upcoming Gothic Remake, I wouldn't be surprised if they will keep them on life support until that game's release.
Shadow Tactics sold like crazy because it's a cool weeb game
their current entry seems aimed at whomst exactly??

jaekl

Learned
Patron
I wished for their demise every day after I saw the trailer for the saint's row reboot and now my wish has come true. Now I've got to decide who to focus the power of pure hatred on to next...
Larian?
I don't mind Larian actually, I just think their games are extremely lame and corny. I bet their employees are breathing a collective sigh of relief right now. Bioware hasn't pissed me off lately so they're safe. I would say my main enemy at this time is activision/blizzard because of their heinous and continued actions towards CoD's corpse.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Bioware is my choice, it is a easy bet since already it is just a walking corpse.
If their next game is a flop (just a matter of time) then Bioware is toast.

Volition had enough time to continue/reboot their Freespace, Red Faction or Summoner franchises. Instead, they sticked to that insane dildo-pussyheat-condom-suit theme park simulator that only a lunatic would enjoy. That studio closure is on them.

Only they didn’t, which is what fucked them. Also somehow spending $100 million. I’m not sure how they spent $100 million on this fucking game. Maybe someone came out of this with a nice bundle of money they weren’t supposed to have.

They announced a new Saints Row. They revealed a limp dick version of the thing people wanted. They ran with it despite all signs from the audience pointing to it not being something they wanted. And they released something that somehow functions worse than the over a decade old previously games.

Saints Row should’ve been easy money too. A GTA knockoff in a time where it’d been almost ten years since the last GTA, and where sandbox games are vastly less plentiful. All it had to do was not shit itself and instead it shit it’s so much it was like public embarrassment was its fetish.

Zlaja

Arcane

laughing.gif

Zeem

Learned
People were asking for Guerilla 2...
This really baffles me. Guerrilla did a lot of things right, and its open-world played into gameplay's strenghts. You could do a lot of small improvements with the same core formula and people would've loved it. Instead it was followed with a weird linear third-person shooter set in uninhabited caves and featuring mostly alien wildlife as enemies.

Hobknobling

Learned
I've always strongly suspected consoles were to blame for not continuing Guerrilla's destruction.
Just by looking at the Wikipedia articles for both games, I can see that the design leads for Guerrilla were James Hague and Luke Schneider. The latter went to form a mobile game company in 2010 and apparently wasn't involved in the sequel. Many people got greedy when they saw the runaway success of mobile games at that time and went to fail in that sector. Actually suprised that Schneider's company (Radiangames) still exists and is active.

Seems like David Abzug got promoted to direct the sequel. I think there must've been some in-studio drama.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i never cared for Saints Row, and Red Faction didn't have an impact on me like how Half Life, STALKER, or Quake did, but Freespace 1 and 2 are some of the best arcade space combat sims i've ever played

pretty sure Saints Row 2022 was the last nail in the coffin for them; it wasn't the buggy masterpiece like Freespace 2 was until the source port release either, it's just complete trash

I've always strongly suspected consoles were to blame for not continuing Guerrilla's destruction.

It’s not consoles. Some dummy at Volition didn’t think people would think it looked good, that’s why they never did it in a Saints Row game. Can’t remember where it was said, think it was one of the streams they were doing around Agents of Mayhem. Was pretty stupid reasoning, especially for a series that ran on novelty.

deuxhero

Arcane
Damn. I can get not doing it on Earth because RFG ran on a very limited pool of building assets that wouldn't make sense outside of a new colony, but dropping it from the sequel because they didn't think it looked good is retarded.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Did Gat Out of Hell have a huge budget? It was just a dlc expansion, to a dlc expansion they stretched thin into a full game (SR4), that they stretched thin into a full game. I imagine the costs were smaller than you might think.
I was talking about Saints Row, which cost around 100 million USD.

Damn. I can get not doing it on Earth because RFG ran on a very limited pool of building assets that wouldn't make sense outside of a new colony, but dropping it from the sequel because they didn't think it looked good is retarded.

I was talking about the Saints Rows series. Armageddon may have just been them (or THQ) being cheap or something. I don’t remember exactly what was going on with Armageddon.

Vyvian

Educated
Normally I would celebrate but knowing how nepotistic western game dev is now I have zero doubt these morons will quickly be absorbed into other devs and be allowed to continue their nonsense.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Normally I would celebrate but knowing how nepotistic western game dev is now I have zero doubt these morons will quickly be absorbed into other devs and be allowed to continue their nonsense.
Don't worry about all that, you've gotta enjoy the small moments of pleasure that life has to offer. When a whole bunch of my enemies are sad right now, anxious, having to update resumes, explain the situation to their spouse, cancel plans, budget, make livejournal-esque twitter posts etc. - it's a happy day, a cause for celebration.

deuxhero

Arcane

I was talking about the Saints Rows series. Armageddon may have just been them (or THQ) being cheap or something. I don’t remember exactly what was going on with Armageddon.
A fucking shame, because with SR2 already having boat mechanics functional, an Amtor esque "flooded" Venus filled with floating shanty towns, densely populated islands, and difficult to navigate areas of swamp would have been a fun sequel. Would have to give the protag some kind of aquapack to not make travel without a boat suck though.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
1997-2000 were the best years of this company with the Freespace series one of the greatest games I ever played. EA as usual ripped off the story from Freespace for their overrated Mass Effect franchise.

Zlaja

Arcane
This video explains a lot. Also, the footage of the Embracer Group's quarterly report was fucking gold. :lol:

You can skip the first 5 minutes, if you just wanna "get to the point".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom