Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you play a single-player text-based RPG?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
To elucidate, I would not play a text-based RPG either. It's just not good enough to hold my interests as much as a real book, and the fact that the author of most of these text-based games have nothing on the caliber of real writers.

The only game that's even managed to come close to the experience of reading a good book was Planescape: Torment and that was largely due to the literary prowess of Chris Avellone, Dave Maldonado and the bald guy who created Planescape.

Second Chance

Liturgist
I'd definitely play a text-based RPG. I remember once having played a shareware/freeware game that looked a lot like a MUD (you had to type "kill monster" every round, etc) and enjoying it. For years I was a MUD addict so no problems there :oops:

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Yes, I would. I used to enjoy MUDS, but I was driven away by the horrendous level treadmills and the stupid people playing. Eliminate those two elements and I would definitely play a text-based, single-player MUD-like RPG.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'd play it of course. ADOM is my all-time favourite and I really don't think that lack of graphics makes the game inferior. On a side note, I've recently played a few of the Lone Wolf gamebooks (got them indirectly via Underdogs) and they were really fun. I also recommend the Freeway Warrior series.

JJ86

Liturgist
I think pure text based is too boring. You definitely need some sort of GUI to make the info, stats, and map more easily identifiable. While I don't necessary need fully animated characters romping through a cinematic 3d landscape, a well done but simple GUI and a few pics shot with a digital camera may be enough.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
This has been pretty interesting feedback, though I still think a lot of you do not understand what I am getting at here. I'm not talking about Wishbringer or Zork which are interactive text.

Anyways, there are enough people that seem interested that if I ever get around to having it to a place where I enjoy playing it, I'll pop a build out for people to download and look at.

Thanks.

Rosh

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
This has been pretty interesting feedback, though I still think a lot of you do not understand what I am getting at here. I'm not talking about Wishbringer or Zork which are interactive text.

Anyways, there are enough people that seem interested that if I ever get around to having it to a place where I enjoy playing it, I'll pop a build out for people to download and look at.

Thanks.

I think I know what you're talking about and I have had several on the WinterWolf BBS.

In many ways, a text-based CRPG could do remarkably well. It allows a programmer/designer to make something if they don't have an artist. It also doesn't have some of the constraints of graphics (and of course, not able to take advantage of them, eiter), and with a system that would show the likelihood of each option, it could fare pretty well from a design aspect. A few people would play it, but if it doesn't draw them in well from the start and keep them in, they could turn away from it.

I have also seen many great text-based games, and not of the adventure genre, either. Dammit...the name of it is right on my tongue, has to do with pictures, but the setting will change every so often in the game. You'd then be in a new environment with something to poke and prod at, then it would change again. I didn't play it too much, as I was skipping through a number of them, but I recall that one had won an award.

Rosh

Erudite
Not quite, I think. It seemed a bit more recent and may have been mentioned here, in fact. I will have to do some digging, then.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The problem with text-based CRPGs is that the majority of them are not done well. It's very difficult to claim that text-based RPGs have superior gameplay to graphical ones simply because they're in writing, and make claims about how people are 'graphics whores' who care little about gameplay based solely on the fact that text-based RPGs come in the form of text.

Simply put, just because it's in text doesn't make it a good read, much less an immersive one. I'd rather spend my time reading a real book than playing a text-based RPG with hackneyed, or sometimes overdone (e.g. boring) descriptions.

"Boring? Hah, you're a dumbass.", you say? Hardly. Style is very important in writing, and reading verbose descriptions of hair-braiding hardly tides my interest.

I just don't find text-based games immersive. I'd much rather immerse myself in a book written by a good author instead of some prosaic nonsense written by some guy whose best work was "Why I like the girls", a college essay on heterosexuality.

There are a lot of elements that make a game immersive, and contribute to what is commonly known as 'entertainment'. Having a good storyline is one, as is having gameplay. Humans aren't simply intellectual creatures: we're also very sense-driven, and that means in order for something to be fully immersive, it would have to have a good display of visual effects (graphics), and fully immersive sound. Fallout would not have been half the game it was if it wasn't for the original soundtrack that provided the necessary ambience to the various areas in the game, and the memorable VO's spoken by The Master.

You (and I'm saying this in general) would be kidding yourself if you argued that text-based rpgs with 'good gameplay' are enough to create a great game.

Games, like everything else, require sophistication in order to be involving. Many parts constitute a whole. If you strip away all of these elements in favour of a single element, you will be left with nothing but a bare skeleton of a game. Compare playing a text-based RPG to the relatively uninteractive tech demo of Stalker.

I should add the following:
Most people, including many of you here wouldn't pick a text-based RPG over a good book because inputting the instructions into a text-based game can be a chore, especially if all you intend to do is read it.

The reason we provide input in games is because they immerse us enough for us to want to interact with the gaming environment and affect it some way or another. It's the reason why we feel the thrill of adreneline whenever we bust someone's head open with a gun in a good multiplayer first person shooter, and also the reason why we feel as if we've accomplished something when we do quests in RPGs and change the face of the game world, or earn loot as rewards - which we can see in the form of visual changes made to our character. It's much like how posting on this forum immerses me enough to provide input and share my thoughts with all of you.

In any text-based RPG, the input is relatively minimal, consisting mainly of answering a few pre-written answers like 'go west', 'yes', or 'open vase'. Where's the fun in that? Where's the sophistication? Dodging behind a wall, crouching and opening fire at the enemy soldier across the bridge from you is so much more of an intellectual, interactive, sophisticated experience than any text-based RPG - mainly because it requires the use of most of your senses - sight, sound and touch, as well as certain amount of tactical thought and the trigonometry required to take the action.

I suppose you could -try- (and fail) to argue that text-based RPGs may be as interactive as an IRC chat or a thread on a message forum, but you would be wrong because everything inside a text-based RPG consists of prewritten dialogue and not much else. You can't exactly argue with an NPC or hold a debate on politics, evolution, or what have you with any character in a text-based RPG. If you want to play a 'text based game' you might as well do as I do, and post on a forum. You are, after all, engaging in a form of intellectual competition, which is what's known as a debate.

Now, if someone developed a text-based RPG with fully intelligent AI capable of evolving responses, I would be the first in line to play that game. It'd at least be interactive.

JJ86

Liturgist
I guess if you have the programming knowledge to create a very intelligent AI text engine, then it may be worth it. Like Exitium I am annoyed at the very limited input of IF engines. The technology of current AI bots employs an engine which has a better understanding of input text. Even the "Ask Jeeves" search engine has a surprisingly intelligent ability to understand queries phrased in different ways.

I guess I am not too sure of the concepts you have in mind and really haven't tried MUDs. Maybe you could explain the details of the game you envision?

Rosh

Erudite
Having been around many BBS systems and downloaded my fair share, I fully agree with you that a shitty text based game isn't fun to play at all. Especially if the parser and/or command set is completely fucked up. Ctrl+C was your friend to escape many pieces of trash that have emerged over the years.

Some are good, however, much like the hit and misses of the rest of the industry. There just isn't any way to squeak by without having to do some work. Without graphics and in today's environment, the game had better be pretty special on a number of facets.

With MUDs came more emphasis on actual commands than trying to figure out the nuances of someone's poorly-crafter parser.

It would be interesting to have an AI reply to a full text phrase, IF you need to resort to that. Otherwise, I'd suggest you should rely on a good command set that covers the aspects you need, and you can easily take advantage of speech trees.

The base five senses (usually called 5senses in most bases that use this) are taken care of by commands in the form of "verb noun" like "smell rose". Basic verbs are put into actions (essentially commands) and use a coded command set with an argument passed to it, like "take X" or "drop x", "put x in y" or "put x into y". With the pattern matching ability of many languages today, someone would have to be a fool to not take advantage of them.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd likely download a free text based RPG, but I'm unlikely to purchase one after reading a description in a magazine or on a web site without trying a demo first.

I've played quite a few text adventures in my time, have tried the Discworld MUD and even a couple of computer versions of the "pick a path to adventure" books, but the closest to a single player text RPG I have played was a BASIC game called "Wizard's Castle".

I realise that omitting graphics allows for greater interactivity with the environment, as implementing something like a rockfall or the destruction of a bridge is much simpler using just text, but I'd still need convincing that the creators had taken full advantage of that freedom.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Darklands wasn't strictly text-based, but it made good use of that element and is a darn fun game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom