Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Ash

Arcane
Oblivion is the best of TES
:mob:

Morrowind lore is overrated, Michael Kirkbride is an overrated, pretentious narcissist, and his writing deserves a lot more criticism than

Ok whatever, I know next to nothing about the guy and don't care about his level of pride & self-importance, but what about the entire rest of the game? The imaginative setting, more systems, more hardcore and engaging gameplay (until the balance goes to shit and the content starts to repeat), more roleplaying potential and gameplay freedom? Writing, whatever the level of quality may be, that you actually have to pay attention to even succeed in the first place? I can get about 40 hours out of Morrowind each attempt. Oblivion got two attempts at about half that and isn't getting another chance. Same for Skyrim. Literally soulless retard-tier games. Morrowind is a failed game too, but a 10x more respectable effort. At least it sometimes expects you to use your brain.

Nodens? I might know you. I know a cool guy named that that I caught playing Oblivion one day like a degenerate caught red-handed jerking to Hilary Clinton pics. Can't say I wasn't disappointed! :)

FFVIII wasn't bad

Based. Well, it was bad in some major ways and yet it wasn't overall/shortcomings were somewhat made up for. There's a mod that fixes the most pressing gameplay issues fyi.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Tried multiple times to get into Morrowind.
I usually start by going to Balmora on foot while having a good time exploring every dungeon i can find along the way. After reaching Balmora and joining the guild i quickly loose interest however.
Not interested in reading guides on how to abuse game mechanics so maybe this is the reason i can't enjoy Morrowind?

Tried replaying Oblivion again some time ago too and couldn't get into it either funnily enough.
My younger self was clearly smarter and knew that you shouldn't play Oblivion the way devs intend you to. Should probably mod the shit out of it before attempting it again.

VerSacrum

Educated
I usually start by going to Balmora on foot while having a good time exploring every dungeon i can find along the way. After reaching Balmora and joining the guild i quickly loose interest however.
Not interested in reading guides on how to abuse game mechanics so maybe this is the reason i can't enjoy Morrowind?
Nah that's how you kill the fun. Did you do the Tribunal pilgrimage you can get in the Balmora Temple? I remember these being great for immersing yourself in the lore of the world and doing a bit of exploring while going from shrine to shrine.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Nah that's how you kill the fun. Did you do the Tribunal pilgrimage you can get in the Balmora Temple?
No. Last time i was playing Morrowind i did a quest for Mage guild that send me to a very far way and empty looking bog to gather some herbs.
It wasn't fun at all but it's sure was immersive.

Lemming42

Arcane
Replaying Starfield and honestly I still like it. Obviously it's a letdown in a million different ways, plagued by dunderheaded design choices on the most fundamental level, and has deservedly tanked the last of Bethesda's reputation, but I'm still enjoying the core gameplay loop of flying around fucking people's shit up with my Custom Laser-Sights Comfort Grip Drinks Holder Central Heating Minibar-Included pistol while I lose -100 reputation points with Sarah for accidentally bumping into a barrel or whatever.

If you don't abuse the mechanics then you're stuck with some rather shallow and boring systems that will still become trivial by about level 8 - 10 no matter what you do. If you do abuse the mechanics then you eradicate what scant little gameplay and challenge the game has to start with, and it basically becomes an exercise in amusing yourself by flying around incinerating people until you get bored. Those are really the only two ways to play, the choice is yours.

I definitely recommend abusing it, there's not really anything to be gained by playing it As Todd Intended. You don't need a guide to break it, just do literally anything at all with alchemy or enchanting and it'll end up wrecking the game since seemingly zero effort was put into balancing any of the systems. Plus, the game doesn't appear to expect you to do anything other than play as Big Strong Melee Warrior and simply doesn't know what to do if you do anything else, so nothing will stand any chance against your custom spells/items.

n0denz

Novice
I'm honestly not sure. It always felt like a shallow experience, like some flash game posted to newgrounds. I even watched an LP a few years ago, thinking I'd judged it too early on release, but again I didn't think it looked all that interesting. The only reason I include it on the list is because of the sweeping acclaim it got. I'm the odd one out on this one.
Ok whatever, I know next to nothing about the guy and don't care about his level of pride & self-importance, but what about the entire rest of the game? The imaginative setting, more systems, more hardcore and engaging gameplay (until the balance goes to shit and the content starts to repeat), more roleplaying potential and gameplay freedom? Writing, whatever the level of quality may be, that you actually have to pay attention to even succeed in the first place? I can get about 40 hours out of Morrowind each attempt. Oblivion got two attempts at about half that and isn't getting another chance. Same for Skyrim. Literally soulless retard-tier games. Morrowind is a failed game too, but a 10x more respectable effort. At least it sometimes expects you to use your brain.
I was mostly talking about the deep lore. Please understand that I wasted a good five years of my life on TES lore forum (and IRC!) before coming to the conclusion that 99% of it didn't matter. When it comes to worldbuilding, yeah, Morrowind blows Oblivion out of the water for the most part. I give Oblivion points though on individual quest writing, combat obviously, and somewhat in terms of physical freedom. There's so much in Morrowind that feels boxed in - not nearly as bad as Skyrim, but unless you're jumping and levitating to get around, there's a lot of the map that's more or less a set of paths in between mountains. Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong; I haven't played MW in 10+ years. But in my RP playthroughs where I'm not a mage, things get tedious quick.
Nodens? I might know you. I know a cool guy named that that I caught playing Oblivion one day like a degenerate caught red-handed jerking to Hilary Clinton pics. Can't say I wasn't disappointed! :)
Nah, couldn't have been me. I only jack off to pics of Bill.

ind33d

Learned
Replaying Starfield and honestly I still like it. Obviously it's a letdown in a million different ways, plagued by dunderheaded design choices on the most fundamental level, and has deservedly tanked the last of Bethesda's reputation, but I'm still enjoying the core gameplay loop of flying around fucking people's shit up with my Custom Laser-Sights Comfort Grip Drinks Holder Central Heating Minibar-Included pistol while I lose -100 reputation points with Sarah for accidentally bumping into a barrel or whatever.
I just finished the Ryujin questline and I'm convinced that anyone who doesn't like Starfield is just an idiot. There's not enough content, but what is there is good

Ash

Arcane
I was mostly talking about the deep lore. Please understand that I wasted a good five years of my life on TES lore forum (and IRC!) before coming to the conclusion that 99% of it didn't matter.

Funniest thing I've heard all day. Thank you.

n0denz

Novice
Funniest thing I've heard all day. Thank you.
I thank the lord every day that I left that cult. If you want a real knee-slapper, go look at what that community's been doing over the years. Back when Queen Ayrenn was added to ESO, they pitched a fit that she wasn't portrayed the same as in Kirkbride's fanfics: the AI core of an asteroid mining ship

Lemming42

Arcane
I just finished the Ryujin questline and I'm convinced that anyone who doesn't like Starfield is just an idiot. There's not enough content, but what is there is good
I really liked the pirate questline as well, one of the more interesting Bethesda have ever done. I think the game's big problem is that you have to go actively looking for content, and it feels so empty as a result. Like in Skyrim people would just run up to you and say "HAEV YOU HEARD OF THE PISS CAVES?" and it'd add a map marker automatically, while in Fo3 every interesting-looking area on the map would have some quest attached. But Starfield is like, just a huge empty space with no apparent things to do unless you manage to walk into the right room to suddenly be launched on a huge questline.

Ash

Arcane
If you want a real knee-slapper, go look at what that community's been doing over the years.

No thank you! Weirdos on the internet deeply disturb me as it is a clear window and reminder of the degenerates & idiots that live among me. They probably will go shoot up Bethesda HQ if Vivec's religion is changed in the next update.

As for you, time for the final cleansing. The Kirkbride fixation has got to go. You're free from the cult and among better company. Whole lotta dumbasses, but somewhat stable at least and no echo chamber narrative-controlled circlejerk. Just endless arguments and name calling, as it should be.

Anyways, you're a retard for thinking Oblivion is good! Even completely divorced from TES, all the far superior FP/RPGs ever made (e.g Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis, New Vegas), looking it as if it were a standalone IP, it's terrible. We have a big long thread here you may want to expose yourself in and collect some button parade accolades: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-do-people-hate-oblivion-so-much.122755/

Last edited:

n0denz

Novice
If you want a real knee-slapper, go look at what that community's been doing over the years.

Anyways, you're a retard for thinking Oblivion is good! Even completely divorced from TES, all the far superior FP/RPGs ever made (e.g Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis, New Vegas), looking it as if it were a standalone IP, it's terrible. We have a big long thread here you may want to expose yourself in and collect some button parade accolades: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-do-people-hate-oblivion-so-much.122755/
Skyrim had a way of putting things in perspective. By the time TES 6 comes out, I'll probably be pining for the good old days of Skyrim too.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nah that's how you kill the fun. Did you do the Tribunal pilgrimage you can get in the Balmora Temple? I remember these being great for immersing yourself in the lore of the world and doing a bit of exploring while going from shrine to shrine.
I literally never join the Tribunal Temple.
Imperial Cult has some nice quests and a LOT of powerful and unique items to be found...

Ash

Arcane

Skyrim had a way of putting things in perspective. By the time TES 6 comes out, I'll probably be pining for the good old days of Skyrim too.
There was no good old days. Skyrim is terrible and not worth the time I gave it (not much).

n0denz

Novice
Skyrim was fun for a few weeks before the tedium set in. Eventually I had to start intentionally handicapping myself to make things harder, just like what I'd done with every other TES game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim's combat isn't solid. Enemy AI is terrible. Weapon differentiation is terrible. Magic is terrible. It doesn't even have locational damage, even though Fallout 3 had it and it would be obviously beneficial in a game with archery.

Lemming42

Arcane
Skyrim was fun for a few weeks before the tedium set in. Eventually I had to start intentionally handicapping myself to make things harder, just like what I'd done with every other TES game.
If you got a few weeks out of it, I'd say it was a success. I think people expect it to be something it's not - it isn't an epic fantasy life-sim game or anything, it's a dungeon crawler with an overworld. I think like 20 - 25 hours is the absolute limit for most playthroughs before it'll start to get boring (and become hilariously unbalanced at later levels).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom