Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any RPG that is coming out that anyone is excited about?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Now that I'm getting in to Avernum 3, I have to admit that I'm looking forward to Blades of Avernum as well. However, I would still like to see Geneforge 2 first.

I don't expect to see it first though, since there is already a Blades of Avernum forum on the Spiderweb forum bank. Here's to hoping, though. ;)

wizard

Liturgist
Quoting Spiderwebs newsletter:
"We do know that Geneforge 2 will be out first."
So G2 is coming out before BoA!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sweet! That's actually kind of shocking, because I figured he could easily make Blades of Avernum first so long as he wrote the tools he used to make Avernum 1/2/3 easy enough to use and be fun to use. Of course, Blades of Avernum will most likely come with some Jeff Vogel made scenarios, which could take time to make.

Ideally, Blades of Avernum could have a random scenario generator, like Adventure Construction Set did, but it's not important. That would take a good bit of thought and implimentation to do it well, though.

Peregrine

Novice
If Blades of Avernum is like Blades of Exile, it came with three pre-done long scenarios, and once you were done with those, people started making new ones. Now, of course, there are hundreds of scenarios people have done, many quite impressive and fun. Of course, I want Geneforge 2 as well, but BoA will be nice.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Peregrine said:
If Blades of Avernum is like Blades of Exile, it came with three pre-done long scenarios, and once you were done with those, people started making new ones. Now, of course, there are hundreds of scenarios people have done, many quite impressive and fun. Of course, I want Geneforge 2 as well, but BoA will be nice.

You tried RuneSword 2? It's pretty awful, but it would be nice if BoA had the creation features that game had. Basically, the mechanics of Avernum and the editors/generation sequence of RuneSword 2 would be nifty.

wizard

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sweet! That's actually kind of shocking, because I figured he could easily make Blades of Avernum first
Well, he could done that but I think he did this this way becose if he had released BoA there would not be much people who would try G2

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Let's set aside the enormous amount of effort that would go into designing, coding, and testing this feature.

This will not happen out of consideration to the players. Blades of Avernum is a complicated game. It takes time to learn what all the skills and spells do. I do not want the player to have the rug pulled out from under him or her and have to learn a new game every time he or she starts a new scenario.

In addition, players will be able to specialize in certain spells in Blades of Avernum. If a player spends a lot of effort bringing a certain spell or skill up, I do not want that player to suddenly be unable to use that skill. I don't want someone who relies on Lightning Spray to start a new scenario and find that Lightning Spray has been changed to Summon Jellybeans, and the character specialized in spear can't hit anything anymore because the Pole Weapons skill is now useless because the characters in the new world don't use spears. And I don't want Unlock Doors to stop working altogether because the designer didn't want to design a scenario that could handle it.

We're the designers. That means, to be responsible, we have to design for our players _in_good_faith_. Those spells and skills are the tools I have given the players to play against your creations. Some things would be gained by allowing this freedom, but something very important would be lost too.

You know, after reading that Blades of Avernum page, I'm pretty much convinced that old Jeff Vogel is one hell of a smart guy.

He's dead on about the consistancy thing. Since BoA is an Avernum game, and intended to be one where you can make a party and send it around to various scenarios at the player's chosing, then he's totally correct in the statement that you can't just go around messing with how skills and spells work based on the scenario.

In fact, I'm really happy he brought that up, because a lot of developers out there would actually go for the DEMANDS OF THE UNWASHED instead of actually thinking about whether or not it makes for good consistancy. The fact he has standards such as this really impresses me, and I'm rarely impressed with anyone. ;)

Chefe

Erudite
I'm looking forward to Oblivion. Looks cool. A real step up from current RPGs.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The genre is hissing and popping. I'm waiting for the crackling.

NWN2 and Oblivion are the only games I'm waiting for.

Jora

Arcane
Locue said:
The genre is hissing and popping. I'm waiting for the crackling.

NWN2 and Oblivion are the only games I'm waiting for.
What about indies? I can't think of a reason why Age of Decadence wouldn't interest me. Darghul is full of promise too. If nothing goes horribly wrong, both games should be released in half a year.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Ashes, AOD and Eschalon all look to be coming midyear and have me interested. I'm not sure how the execution will come off, but they all have an old school RPG mentality that interests me.

Even NWN2 and Dragon Age sound interesting. At worst it will turn out to be Baldur's Gate 2.5, in which case i'll pick up the the Special Edition version in 2 years for 20 bucks. From the interviews going around, both projects seem more ambitious than being BG2.5 so we'll see.

Oblivion interests me in that i'm curious to see how bad it will be :-P

EDIT - Ooops, Gothic 3 looks interesting too. I still need to play Gothic 2 now that i just snagged the Gold Edition so i guess it wasn't on my mind.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Gothic 3 is pretty much it

Ever since last year, i've been playing more and more old games and enjoying them much more then I do any 'modern' games.

Seboss

Liturgist
I'm quite impatient to lay my hands on Oblivion of course, despite ambiant pessimism (to say the least) and stiffness about RPG genre around here.
Morrowind was quite a let down, but Oblivion looks promising. Not 'groundbreaking and revolutionary' promising but very nice nevertheless, whatever the naysayers might think.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I guess it's The Fall right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom