Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD vignettes & screens

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Actually, it should feel pretty good, cause they'll probably do it right.
Fanboy! :)

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Why so hung up on making the beginning so free form? I couldn't give a shit if the beginning is railroad style if the set up is well done. Avernum 2 was fairly linear in the beginning and set the rest of the game fantastically. It also seems like it's the universal favorite Avernum game even though the rest are free form from the get go.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
FrancoTAU said:
Why so hung up on making the beginning so free form?
I'm not. I simply showed you the design we have at the moment, pointed out some issues, and asked whether or not it's good enough, and if it's not, how to fix it. I, obviously, like the current system, otherwise we wouldn't have done it in the first place, but I recognize the flaws in it.

I really need some opinions here, people, especially from those who say that they are following the development. Without feedback, I'm kinda blind.

Bidjou

Novice
Elwro Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:28 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, maybe you could make it a "choose your own adventure" prelude with nice drawings (like the great concept art...)? Just an idea for something different - it has obvious drawbacks. But for example it would be clear that it's something separate from the main, freeform game and no one would bitch about lack of freedom (I think).

I'm with Elwro on this one.

But not in the fact that it should be all the introduction,it could become part of the gameplay, just think of space rangers 2 ,they never gave me the feeling that the various gameplay tools they used were not part of the gameworld

So
1 staring vignette,
2 mini text adventure,
3 inn, room of the merchant victim,game over, etc ... all locations depending on the issue of 2
4 .... well you got the idea

Vault Dweller

Developer
Isn't what we have now better?

Anyway, any feedback on the screens? Models, textures?

HotSnack

Cipher
Well, there's a gaping wide hole between the conversation interface and everything else at the bottom. How about using that space to store the chat backlogs (or to just put your dialogue options there)?

Also some nitpicking I have is that the models all seem to have their weapons drawn out. It makes sense for some people like that knight, but I would have thought it to be bad form to have your weapon drawn in front of your guild master of the assassins.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't know if you want such comments now or ever, but on screen nr 3 it should be "independent", not "independant".
I'll think about this whole thing and maybe post sth later...

Bidjou

Novice
Isn't what we have now better?

?? , I just tought that the whole problem was the transition between the opening vignette and the inn where the mission happens, but i'll reread the whole thread,I'm confused or I totally missed to express what I wanted to say :?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Vignettes are fun. The drawback of having a little less freedom is made up more than enough by the immersion and a fun start to the game. See it as an extension of the introduction, in fact you could do this with the credit's running in between scenes. Remember it's a game, not a discussion about predermitation or free will. Having a defenite different start (and perhaps some different starting quests right at the bat) for each class makes the game much more replayable and fun. Good luck with the game, it's looking better and better to me.

PS: The troika vignettes were great, though they felt a bit too empty. Especially in-game. If you manage to avoid this, go for it. Otherwise go for the "you find a dying merchant". Though that would be boring.

Vault Dweller

Developer
HotSnack said:
Well, there's a gaping wide hole between the conversation interface and everything else at the bottom. How about using that space to store the chat backlogs (or to just put your dialogue options there)?
Will take a look

Also some nitpicking I have is that the models all seem to have their weapons drawn out. It makes sense for some people like that knight, but I would have thought it to be bad form to have your weapon drawn in front of your guild master of the assassins.
Some people will ask you to put your weapon away, like in Fallout. Some people don't care.

Elwro said:
I don't know if you want such comments now or ever, but on screen nr 3 it should be "independent", not "independant".
I want all kind of comments. Thanks, will fix it.

I'll think about this whole thing and maybe post sth later...
Please do.

Bidjou said:
I just tought that the whole problem was the transition between the opening vignette and the inn where the mission happens
Transition itself isn't a problem. We can move your character anywhere. The problem is that we can't allow your character to do anything until he/she plays his/her role in the vignette and get the map. It doesn't bother me, all I'm asking is "does it bother you?"

Trash said:
The troika vignettes were great, though they felt a bit too empty. Especially in-game. If you manage to avoid this, go for it.
I've described what we have and shown some shots. You tell me if I've managed to avoid the emptiness. If you are asking about effects on the game, how you handle the vignette affects your gameplay. For example, the merc can kill the assassin or do nothing. If he does kill the assassin, he gets a recommendation letter and a contact in another town. A knight (remember that "how much force should I use?" question?) can demand the heads of the assassin and the merchant who placed the order and thus piss 2 guilds off, or he can handle it more diplomatically, granting favors he can collect later on.

Bidjou

Novice
does it bothers me, not at all, in fact I'm with Trash on this one, I was simply confused.

Vignettes are fun. The drawback of having a little less freedom is made up more than enough by the immersion and a fun start to the game. See it as an extension of the introduction, in fact you could do this with the credit's running in between scenes. Remember it's a game, not a discussion about predermitation or free will. Having a defenite different start (and perhaps some different starting quests right at the bat) for each class makes the game much more replayable and fun. Good luck with the game, it's looking better and better to me.

xenocide

Novice
IMO - big deal if the vignette is a little linear. The entire rest of the game will not be. I like the idea of vignettes, they add more then the tiny bit taken away by not being 100% freeform 100% of the game.

If you need to add more of a pregame feel, I don't mind the idea of credits on screen durring the vignette. It makes it obvious that the true game has not fully started yet.

AoD is not a sims expantion, the player will actually do things within the story. A wee bit of linearity at the very begging to set things in motion is more of a good thing than a bad; it sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Looking good, I'm very happy seeing the steady progress! Keep it up. If I find time, I'll post some updates on RPGplanet.ru, too. Though, sadly, there is not much interest there... perhaps we need something to attract their attention, or perhaps they'll realize their desire only when the release date is near.

Now, on the vignetes:
You strive to keep the gameflow interactive, allowing player to make decisions that would affect the character and the world around her. And yet, you want to make a vignete, that is supposed to be *linear*, into the actual interactive gameflow. You basically do those mini-Icewind Dales there: several dialog options, but all lead to one end. Well, of course, they might have minor effects (or not minor? do tell), like improve the reputation and the like, but still the linerity is there and it's noticable. Sorry, but I can't see the point in these interactive intro movies.
Perhaps it flows nicely with the story, then you really should think this over. If not, then why not just do away with them completely?
I see two options:
1. Add some meaning to those vignetes. Allow player to choose at least one alternative route. For instance, disobey the orders and get expelled from the guild they are currently part of. I know, this flows badly with the story, and might pretty much fuck up the whole game, but oh well. ^_^
But again, that wouldn't make sense, really. YOu just started out, you barely know who you actually play in this world, and you instantly say "fuck off' to your superiors...
2. Make it the actual vignette, as others proposed: an intro movie, a text intro, a non-interactive flashback... though just a text in the character generation screen or later might be a bit... well, dead... some stylishing is in order.
See, since you incorporate classes (professions, backgrounds -- call it what you will, same thing really), you need to set the tone for them, set the attitude for the player, set the behavioral stereotypes, if you will. Just as in PnP you write a description of your character and pass it to DM so that it could understand the nature of your character better. Yeah, they should be linear, and they should not breed any illusions, and make player want to put things upside down right off the bat.
I think even a brief biography will do.

Anyways, it's kinda hard to think of solutions when you don't have mcuh clue on what the whole picture is. It's all up to you, of course.

The screens look nice. Yeah, the fonts are a bitch, gotta do something with them, cuz it's very eye-straining to read.

Oh, I always wanted to ask, will the game feature portraits at all? Say, for several key characters, while others may have a screenshot of them instead. Its not that I really want it, just curious. Too much hassle, I guess, hmm?
Hmm, drawings in the journal could be a very worthy alternative. Kind of like in Torment, but not quiite: i did't like the fact that they put 3d-models there, quite low-poly and ugly, instead of some stylish drawings, with a bit impressionism in, or something.
The idea of the PC making sketches of persons he meets is friggin sweet, don't you think?
Damn, just think about it... Depending on class and background, the pictures could be different... or, say, a crazy PC could have some very sick drawings... uh okay, I carried away a bit here ^_^

The ingame art is quite decent already, like the models a lot. That eastern-type fellar Cado looks damn good.
But again the problem is that the textures seem too bright and monotonous. No gradient, no color flow, know what i mean? Some carefully gradiented textures would make it helluva lot more realistic, if that's what you're looking for. If not, then ignore it and just get that darn game done.

There was a notion about using the blank space for conversation logs, but I dont' really think it's important. Besdes, it'll actually make the player pay attention to what people say, and not rely on logs too much, just as his character would (err, again touching that character/player issue, hmm?). Instead, I recommend that you somehow integrate the journal entries about the person into the dialog screen, so that the player could quickly see what his character sees about the person. See, you don't have descriptive sentences in dialog (as opposed to Torment or RoA, for instance), so this solution would be a good compromise. Im not quite sure how exactly to implement that (you haven't yet shown us the jouirnal entries), but I recommend that you think it over.

My thoughts are quite chaotic at times, but I hope this helps a bit. Really looking forward to your game, and want to contribute as much as I can.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If you are asking about effects on the game, how you handle the vignette affects your gameplay. For example, the merc can kill the assassin or do nothing. If he does kill the assassin, he gets a recommendation letter and a contact in another town. A knight (remember that "how much force should I use?" question?) can demand the heads of the assassin and the merchant who placed the order and thus piss 2 guilds off, or he can handle it more diplomatically, granting favors he can collect later on.

Yup, that was what I was talking about. Troika's vignette's simply felt like filler when the game truly started. This sounds a whole lot better. I'd just go with what you have at the moment. It might "force" the player a bit, but remember, the game is only starting. (setting up the story, giving the pc some directions, having a fun and memorabel begin and all that.) Sounds great so far!

The graphics look neat. The fonts are a bit ugly and bland (especially the text is hard to read and it just doesn't look that immersive) Everything looks a bit too clean though, but it ain't no biggy. Wish you good luck with the game, hope my little tidbits helped a bit.

PS: Just a quick question, how will we be able to buy the game? Personally I live in the Netherlands and don't own a creditcard. You accept paypall, or cheques, a money order or anything?

FreeRadical

Novice
I think the key is in the timing here. Perhaps it could be explained to the player that the merchant is expected in town soon but is being held from traveling here for some reason - maybe bandit activity on the road; or a bridge out and needs repair or what ever. Now the player could be tasked with sort of a mini quest within this vignett to investigate the situation and find out when the merchant will arrive in town and then report back to the guild master when he gets the merchant's eta.

With this idea, the player could go about his own thing doing side quests and exploring to his hearts content until he comes around to solving the mini quest at his leisure and finding out the timing of the merchants arrival... which should be vague in terms like " in a few days now" or something...so that if it takes the player 1 hour or 5 days to solve the mini quest it will still make sense whenever he reports back to the GM. When he is ready, he returns to the guild master and with a key dialogue option reports the situation to the guild master at which point now - and only now - will the end conversation lead to the scripted mission.

Just an idea... best of luck with your cool game.

galsiah

Erudite
First, good stuff, keep it up etc. etc.

Second, since you asked for trivial stuff too:
[Disclaimer: British opinions]
Assassin Screen 4:
"...for an assasin guild to stay..."
should presumably be
"...for an assasins' guild to stay..."
[or perhaps "...for an assasins guild to stay...", or "...for an assasin's guild to stay...", but I'd go with the first]

"Does bartender ask..."
should presumably be
"Does a bartender..." or "Does the bartender..."

Just FYI, I read the next sentence assuming that "he" referred to bartender, rather than client the first time. I soon realised that I was mistaken, but it'd probably be slightly better if this ambiguity weren't there [though what you have is technically fine].

Loremaster Screen 8:
"As my apprentice why won't you handle it?"
would be better as
"As my apprentice why don't you handle it?"
Presuming that it's a rhetorical question, "won't" just sounds a little odd to me.

Loremaster Screen 9:
Should "shithole" be "shit-hole"? I think that would be better. It's certainly more readable. Not everyone spends much time at the codex - shithole might not be a word they read everyday :).

Also, I'd remove the comma from "nothing, but junk."

Knight Screen 10:
Is Lord Antidas supposed to be a posh, educated type? If so, then:
"...an artifact to buy my protection with."
might be better as
"...an artifact with which to buy my protection."
Actually he doesn't seem that well spoken from the rest of his speech, so what you've got is probably better.

Also, if you want to avoid sounding-odd-to-the-British:
Mercenary Screen 12:
"...go clean yourself..." is rather in-your-face American "...go and clean yourself..." is English.
Ideally I'd prefer that games avoided americanisms / englishisms so close to the start. I'm fine with the use of american english, but if possible I'd like to have an impression of the game before I see the equivalent of a "Made in/for the USA" signpost. I'm not suggesting you use "go and clean", since that might seem odd to americans. Just ideally that any american / english specific phrase would be best avoided early on.

Morrowind used the expression "Go see captain..." in the character generation process, so you'd be following in Bethesda's footsteps by leaving it in :).

Also, "his fat ass" and "your ungrateful ass out" are american. "Arse" is english.
Again, it's just a detail, but ideally I'd prefer no "ass" until I've got a feel for the game.

On the beginning dialogues in general, I'd say that most of the guildmasters etc., seem fairly similar character types. Is this intended? I guess they probably would be fairly similar, being authority figures in the same town.
Actually, re-reading them, they do have their differences. The loremaster doesn't seem too much like the others. I don't know what I'm expecting in any case - the mission goals to be recited as poetry?

I probably thought they were similar because I was going from one screen to the next and taking my impressions / preconceptions with me.
Now I'm talking nonsense.

As for the vignetes, I guess I'd probably prefer it if there were at least one important choice for each role in the story. It needn't change the main outcome significantly, but should allow some feeling that I'd done things "my way". I don't think I'd be bothered by the lack of complete freedom, so long as I had one or two choices. Mainly I'd want an opportunity to tell the game "this is what my character is like" in some way.

Reading your comments, it seems that this is possible.

For instance, the assassin could have a decision either to deal with the mercenary without killing him - drug him / knock him out... -, or to kill him. This way he can make himself seem like a professional with humanity, or a cold killer.

Given that the role of the vignetes is to define the player's character, I think freedom and/or choice with consequence aren't the main issue (though they're nice). The main point is that the player should have an opportunity to show what his character is like. Particularly in life or death type situations, I'd always prefer my character to have an "I'm not a cold-hearted bastard" option. E.g. the assassin has to kill the merchant, but by avoiding unnecessary bloodshed, he can still avoid being railroaded into a "cold killer" character.

I don't see the harm if the system doesn't allow e.g. assassins who never kill people, since that's a rather obtuse choice from the player. I do think that most reasonable character choices should at least be compatible with the possible outcomes of the vignetes though. It doesn't matter too much if my character has to do something I wouldn't ideally choose to do, so long as it fits with what my character might have done.

On the screens:
Generally I think they're fine. There's nothing that particularly puts me off.

I think the Gold should blend in a bit more. Is it often relevant in dialogue? Is that why it's out on its own?
I also think there needs to be something in all that space. I'd favour a conversation log. It's difficult to be sure what a player might misinterpret or misread, since you obviously know what he is supposed to get from each instruction. If there is ever a situation where it's impossible for the player character to talk to the guy again to get the same information, I think there should definitely be a log. If it is always possible to ask again, then perhaps it isn't necessary, but I'd probably prefer there to be one.

Also, another tiny point:
I think "The hall lacks any decoration..." would be better than "The hall is lacking any decoration..."

Anyway, keep it up and wotnot. I'll end my ramblings now.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It occurs to me that the dialogue screen looks a bit crowded on the upper right.
I suggest that you give the NPC's name a little more room and move the border between NPC dialogue and reply options to continue the lower border of the view screen.
Then let the player's reply options begin under the view screen. That should break up the whole interface a little.
Oh, and if the gold is relevant to dialogue, maybe display it above the player's reply options.

RGE

Liturgist
Age of Decadence said:
[trading] 250 or you can go and kill him yourself, if you still remember how.
Way to insult your guildmaster as a way of getting paid more. ;) What if the negotiating character doesn't want to be such a smartmouth? And what's more likely, that the guildmaster would go kill someone himself, or that he'd send another assassin? I just don't see how even a playful insult shows how the PC is worth the extra 50 gold, or does the PC know that none of the other assassins would take the job? The flavour text kind of gives me the impression that the room is filled with assassins just waiting to step up and get paid. :twisted:

I still think the heads/faces are way too orange, and that the bodies are a also too orange, but a bit less so. But since no one else seems to mind, and since I have seen quite a lot of 'too orange' lately, perhaps the beams from the hacked satellites are making people like orange enough for it to affect the whole world? I see orange people. Only in artwork though, not in real life, or even on TV. So I don't think it's my eyes that are different from everyone else's. I guess my real problem is that an orange sun tan looks fake, and that really seems like something that you'd want to avoid in a game of this type.

Also, the floor in the knight screenshots looks a bit computery and not enough like marble or whatever it's supposed to be. Jarring, perhaps due to the contrast between the floor and the walls. :?

So, this map, does it look authentic? I noticed the flashback example suggesting that it could be palmed off to someone who believes in buried treasures, but if the PC is supposed to definitely keep it, then it must look important enough, right? So maybe Gracius wouldn't have shown it to anyone else, thus making it very important that the PC gets the map directly from him? Because otherwise I don't see why you couldn't just let the PC find the map among some random loot (as they go about their daily business), and then let them find out who used to own the map and thus be able to backtrack along Gracius' route (or whatever you have planned that demands that Gracius be the former owner).

Not that I think that I'd have a problem with the linearity of the vignettes, but that way you could have vignettes that don't mess with the main plot. Though I always thought that the PC would have plenty of opportunities to practice their profession throughout the game, so I don't really see the benefit of vignettes. Vignettes seem mostly useful to explain how different types of PCs end up in an otherwise implausible place/situation, but finding an item seems real easy to arrange without a vignette.

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
First, good stuff, keep it up etc. etc.

Second, since you asked for trivial stuff too:
[Disclaimer: British opinions]
Assassin Screen 4:
"...for an assasin guild to stay..."
should presumably be
"...for an assasins' guild to stay..."
[or perhaps "...for an assasins guild to stay...", or "...for an assasin's guild to stay...", but I'd go with the first]
That's a typo, thanks.

"Does bartender ask..."
should presumably be
Not to argue with you, but in the context of the question, the reference is to the profession, not to a particular person (i.e. "does doctor know best?"). So, should a/the still be used? Just trying to understand.

Loremaster Screen 8:
"As my apprentice why won't you handle it?"
would be better as
"As my apprentice why don't you handle it?"
Presuming that it's a rhetorical question, "won't" just sounds a little odd to me.
Ok, thanks. Can you explain the difference between "why don't you" and "why won't you"?

Loremaster Screen 9:
Should "shithole" be "shit-hole"? I think that would be better. It's certainly more readable. Not everyone spends much time at the codex - shithole might not be a word they read everyday :).
lol. Will fix it.

Knight Screen 10:
Is Lord Antidas supposed to be a posh, educated type?
No. He's a soldier who spent more time fighting than educating himself. His interest in artifacts is more practical than scientific.

Also, if you want to avoid sounding-odd-to-the-British:
Mercenary Screen 12:
"...go clean yourself..." is rather in-your-face American "...go and clean yourself..." is English.
Ok

Ideally I'd prefer that games avoided americanisms / englishisms so close to the start. I'm fine with the use of american english, but if possible I'd like to have an impression of the game before I see the equivalent of a "Made in/for the USA" signpost. I'm not suggesting you use "go and clean", since that might seem odd to americans. Just ideally that any american / english specific phrase would be best avoided early on.
As I mentioned before, English is my third language, and my understanding of it was influenced and shaped by the North American language culture, so ...

Also, "his fat ass" and "your ungrateful ass out" are american. "Arse" is english.
Again, it's just a detail, but ideally I'd prefer no "ass" until I've got a feel for the game.
What would you suggest?

On the beginning dialogues in general, I'd say that most of the guildmasters etc., seem fairly similar character types. Is this intended? I guess they probably would be fairly similar, being authority figures in the same town.
There are similarities, obviously, due to the "authority figures" business, but there are differences as well. The thieves guild's GM is in the best position (the business is good), so his attitude and approach are different from the assassins guild's GM who is more forgiving and understanding. The loremaster isn't really a guidmaster as there is no guild, but he has a strong position as his trade is needed (much like a small town's doctor). These differences are shown in other dialogue sequences.

For instance, the assassin could have a decision either to deal with the mercenary without killing him - drug him / knock him out... -, or to kill him. This way he can make himself seem like a professional with humanity, or a cold killer.
I see. I thought you meant something deeper. Yes, every vignette has such choices.

The main point is that the player should have an opportunity to show what his character is like.
Agree, that was one of the goals.

I think the Gold should blend in a bit more. Is it often relevant in dialogue? Is that why it's out on its own?
In some dialogue options you have to pay something, so it's nice to see how much money you have.

Also, another tiny point:
I think "The hall lacks any decoration..." would be better than "The hall is lacking any decoration..."
Alright.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Galsiah.

mathboy

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
As I mentioned before, English is my third language, and my understanding of it was influenced and shaped by the North American language culture, so ...
You're not American? What are you then?

Vault Dweller

Developer
RGE said:
Age of Decadence said:
[trading] 250 or you can go and kill him yourself, if you still remember how.
Way to insult your guildmaster as a way of getting paid more. ;) What if the negotiating character doesn't want to be such a smartmouth?
Fits the character's profession and situation. Some negotiations could be won by a nice approach, some negotiations calls for "go fuck yourself" responses that are properly understood by the "insulted" party. I know you may feel that I'm restricting your character that way, but think of it like that: your characters knows the guildmaster, knows the situation, and the only way to get some extra money is to be a bit agressive. Now, there is a huge difference between knowing what you must do and actually doing it (many people know what to tell the boss, but lack the balls to say it), and that's where your role-playing kicks in.

I just don't see how even a playful insult shows how the PC is worth the extra 50 gold, or does the PC know that none of the other assassins would take the job?
The latter. The pay isn't the best, so he figures that most people won't jump at this opportunity unless more money is offered, etc.

I guess my real problem is that an orange sun tan looks fake, and that really seems like something that you'd want to avoid in a game of this type.
Will tweak the color.

Also, the floor in the knight screenshots looks a bit computery ...
Will see what we can do.

So, this map, does it look authentic?
It's authentic, but that doesn't mean much, does it? There are plenty of old maps in every museum.

Vignettes seem mostly useful to explain how different types of PCs end up in an otherwise implausible place/situation, but finding an item seems real easy to arrange without a vignette.
What would you suggest then? That doesn't imply that I'm ready to kill the vignettes, but I'd interested to hear some alternative ideas.

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
"Does bartender ask..."
should presumably be
Not to argue with you, but in the context of the question, the reference is to the profession, not to a particular person (i.e. "does doctor know best?"). So, should a/the still be used? Just trying to understand.
I think a/the should be used.
I think expressions such as "Does doctor know best?", or "Does teacher know best?" apply generally, rather than in a specific situation. I think that if you're describing a specific situation you should have either a/the. Probably "the" here, since you're refering to any bartender.

Saying "Does doctor know best?", or "Does teacher know best?" also seems colloquial or perhaps childish to me. I think those expressions are only used in one or two cases. Usually you'd have a/the.

I'm not 100% sure on the above, but I am sure that it sounds odd - to me at least. I'd go for "the bartender" if you want a hypothetical situation (perhaps putting over the philosophy of the guild), or "a bartender" for a more concrete feel (more of a practical attitude).
Ok, thanks. Can you explain the difference between "why don't you" and "why won't you"?
Sure.
"Why won't you?" indicates to me that the person being addressed has already refused the mission, and the questioner is asking why.
"Why don't you?" indicates to me that the mission is being offered, but that the person being addressed can raise problems if he wishes.

So in the mission offering situation, "don't" seems better to me.

Perhaps the reasoning is that "don't" is present tense, and "won't" is future, so "don't" gives the impression that something is being offered now - i.e. that the player is choosing to take the mission. "won't" is future, so allows that the player might continue to be in a state of "not taking the mission" for some time. "won't" tells me that it's a continuing state of affairs, so can apply to "my refusal to accept the mission"; "don't" doesn't refer to a continuing state of affairs, so I'd interpret it as an offer / rhetorical question.

Again, I'm not sure how much sense that makes, but "don't" definitely sounds better.
Also, if you want to avoid sounding-odd-to-the-British...
What would you suggest?
I'm not suggesting you bend over backwards to avoid americanisms. If no other way to say something that fits well with the character presents itself, it's best to stick with what you've got.

Given that your writing is going to be american style English throughout, taking out all the american expressions might seem odd. Also, it'd be a lot of work. I'm not suggesting that. I'd just ideally rather have a bit longer to get into the game world before I'm confronted with americanisms. Once I've got into the game world, I probably won't notice / care either way, but at the start of the game I'm not really involved yet, so it's slightly off-putting.

As to "ass" alternatives, I'm not too sure - if nothing that fits springs to mind, just leave it.
For example, you could go for:
"your ungrateful ass" -> "your ungrateful hide"
"his fat ass" -> "his fat behind"

I'd prefer those, but that's because "ass" seems odd since I'm english. If such changes are going to make a character seem inconsistent, then it's not worth it. If you can easily avoid an early americanism without any trouble, then I'd say it's a good idea. Otherwise not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom