Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline If I never played Thief before will I enjoy them today?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
thief 1 has some weird issues because the devs didn't know what the game wanted to be at first, so the levels have somewhat uneven quality - but it's still unmatched in certain regards. it does a great job in immersing you in this world that's alien and distant, and yet it feels like its tangible, and its sense of storytelling is unmatched. it gradually introduced you to the world of thief in a way that respects that less is more by just thrusting you straight into it instead of just doing awful loredumps that don't add much

thief 2 benefits from a tighter focus. looking glass knew what kind of game it was going to be, but it's also obvious in later levels that the devs were in some kind of hellish crunch mode, hindering quality as a result. still, regardless, thief 1 and 2 has some of the most satisfying stealth gameplay i've experienced in a game, and some of most incredible sound design i've heard in a game

and karras, good lord, karras. i won't spoil anything about him, but you could dedicate an entire character study essay just to him alone

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Thief 1 is the better game by quite some distance IMO. Some of the less stealthy, more adventure-y levels can drag at times but ultimately the game gives you an incredible experience of being a skilled rogue on an amazing adventure. Plus Bafford's Manor and Cragscleft Prison go together to form one of the best introductions to a game ever. Thief Gold ruins the flow a bit, I think Song of the Caverns is the only really good addition there.

The thing that still irks me about these games is the blackjack, which I think I've been in some knock-down drag-out arguments on this forum before. Tap a guard on the head - which you can do from the front if you're stood in a shadow - and they're gone, forever. Can't be awakened by their friends, never wake up, nobody notices they're gone, no penalty. Makes almost no noise, too. You'll master the blackjack by about halfway through Bafford's mansion and then you're on easy street for the entire game. It renders the whole experience totally trivial. Bonus for when you get the flash bombs, which allow you to knock out a theoretically-infinite number of people who have already detected you, by just twatting them over the head while they play the six-hour-long dazed animation.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone mentioned this to OP yet, but play on Expert - it actually adds content to most levels, usually by making you exfiltrate (which introduces whole new segments in maps like Assassins).

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Few games excel at exploration like the Thief series.

The level design is very good, and the sound design is also very good for a game of its time. It's one of those games that was ahead of its time.
If the Thief games had been ahead of their time, they wouldn't have had the brilliant level design that elevates them to being among the greatest computer games of all time. :M

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They're not "ahead of their time" in that way, Zed.

Let me put it this way: Thief 1 turns 25 years old later this year. In all those years the only game to challenge it for the top spot of "Best stealth game ever" is Thief 2, its sequel.

I'll admit that I haven't taken a look at The Dark Mod (yet), but its been in development for ~15 years now. I'm amazed it's still going strong.

baba is you

Educated
Few games excel at exploration like the Thief series.

The level design is very good, and the sound design is also very good for a game of its time. It's one of those games that was ahead of its time.
If the Thief games had been ahead of their time, they wouldn't have had the brilliant level design that elevates them to being among the greatest computer games of all time. :M
Now that I think about it, that's true. :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think this notion of a game being "ahead of its time" is fallacious, as is progressivism as a whole.

Even to the degree a particular creation seems to anticipate a specific development the creation in question is either great on its own terms or else it being "ahead of its time" doesn't mean anything. Beethoven was ahead of his time, something that was recognized even when he was alive. Both Bach and Brahms by contrast were behind their time and were considered old fashioned, even regressive in the case of Brahms. None of this has anything to do with whether their music was great or not.

If Thief is only great because it was "ahead of its time" there would be no point playing it today, much like there would be no point to listen to Beethoven instead of the Romantics that came after him, given that it was their time he was anticipating. In fact, nothing would have any value anymore once their "time" was expired. Whatever is contemporary, would be best by default.

baba is you

Educated
I think this notion of a game being "ahead of its time" is fallacious, as is progressivism as a whole.

Even to the degree a particular creation seems to anticipate a specific development the creation in question is either great on its own terms or else it being "ahead of its time" doesn't mean anything. Beethoven was ahead of his time, something that was recognized even when he was alive. Both Bach and Brahms by contrast were behind their time and were considered old fashioned, even regressive in the case of Brahms. None of this has anything to do with whether their music was great or not.

If Thief is only great because it was "ahead of its time" there would be no point playing it today, much like there would be no point to listen to Beethoven instead of the Romantics that came after him, given that it was their time he was anticipating. In fact, nothing would have any value anymore once their "time" was expired. Whatever is contemporary, would be best by default.
Interesting and good point.

In the forums I'm mostly active in (the ones in my country), classic games are often described as timeless when recommending them.
I'll have to read your comments and think about a different way to recommend games in the future.

V17

Educated
I'll admit that I haven't taken a look at The Dark Mod (yet), but its been in development for ~15 years now. I'm amazed it's still going strong.
The Dark Mod is not better than Thief 1 or 2 and never will be because it's a community project, and while the effort to preserve lore and overall coherency in different missions has been surprisingly successful, they're still individual missions made by different people with no campaign or overarching story, varying in both quality of ideas and technological quality. The lore can also never really be better because it started out as "let's make a thief-like world without infringing on anything".

That said, it's surely one of the best open-source games out there and the quality is generally outstanding. I've spent probably at least 50 hours playing it and even though the quality varies, its average is very high. Definitely worth playing, the only people I've seen disappointed by it were people fixated on specific Thief mechanics who were unhappy that the engine simply feels different.

I'll add to the recommendation for Thief 3. It's was a big disappointment in that it doesn't improve on T1 and T2 and it's a sidestep at best, but it's still a good game imo - after applying the community patch that removes in-level loadings of course. I love how it looks, plus I enjoyed the hub levels and thought some of the level design was pretty memorable - namely Shalebridge Cradle and the Pagan environments.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hmmm. I think the level design is better in Thief 1 than it is in Thief 2. Thief 2 has more levels, more areas to explore, but in Thief 1, there's a sort of... I guess I should say it felt like a puzzle being solved.
I like the dark fantasy atmosphere of the first game better than the steampunk one in Thief 2.
Even so, I do not draw many comparisons between them. They are both giants, games that are at the very top of video game history.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, sorry, that ship has sailed. If you weren't there when it was new then you have no hope. The same applies to all games, the concept of a backlog is just a lie people tell themselves so they can sleep at night.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, sorry, that ship has sailed. If you weren't there when it was new then you have no hope. The same applies to all games, the concept of a backlog is just a lie people tell themselves so they can sleep at night.
No such thing.
If anything, the complete decline in game quality might push people towards older titles.

The Essence Of Balance Is Detachment. To Embrace A Cause, To Grow Fond Or Spiteful, Is To Lose One's Balance, After Which, No Action Can Be Trusted. Our Burden Is Not For The Dependent Of Spirit.
:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom