Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblibion: The Comic

dongle

Scholar
Sabregirl said:
I really don't think Bethesda is actively trying to stymie modders,
Unintentionally or not it's having that effect. When it gets brought up they have no qualms about saying they don't give a hoot.

bryce777

Erudite
Balor said:
Anyway, unless they have not hyped SOIL EROSION!! as though it's some sort of gameplay-enhancing feature, we'd pretty much say it's good feature, pretty much like RAI.
Yet, since they did...
After let, next they'll hype that their programmers developed a nice OOP trick that allow them to code faster... heck, it's something that should be taken FOR GRANTED!
And, again, S.R. is, all in all - has to do with 'purty graphix'. Now, if they said that they developed a way dynamically generate a random, yet interesting and 'RP-able' plot, with quests, dialogues, (think Gearhead x 100), that support nonlinearity, etc...
But you really think that BETHESDA, for fuck's sake, will spend their precious time to work on THAT?
No, they'd make something that would allow them to make graphix even purtier.
Not something that will make a game better RPG.
____
Ok, RAI has some potential to be such step, but... again, it's Bethesda. Such system sounds like very easy to screw up... and you can indeed trust Beth when it comes to it. They love it. They, I daresay, specialize in it.
Bethesda Softworks: Screwing up TES since Redguard! :D

That's like saying that C++ is a 'feature'. It might help make the forests interesting, but that remains to be seen, and as an actual gameplay enhancement it is basically nothing.

Sarvis

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Balor said:
Anyway, unless they have not hyped SOIL EROSION!! as though it's some sort of gameplay-enhancing feature, we'd pretty much say it's good feature, pretty much like RAI.
Yet, since they did...
After let, next they'll hype that their programmers developed a nice OOP trick that allow them to code faster... heck, it's something that should be taken FOR GRANTED!
And, again, S.R. is, all in all - has to do with 'purty graphix'. Now, if they said that they developed a way dynamically generate a random, yet interesting and 'RP-able' plot, with quests, dialogues, (think Gearhead x 100), that support nonlinearity, etc...
But you really think that BETHESDA, for fuck's sake, will spend their precious time to work on THAT?
No, they'd make something that would allow them to make graphix even purtier.
Not something that will make a game better RPG.
____
Ok, RAI has some potential to be such step, but... again, it's Bethesda. Such system sounds like very easy to screw up... and you can indeed trust Beth when it comes to it. They love it. They, I daresay, specialize in it.
Bethesda Softworks: Screwing up TES since Redguard! :D

That's like saying that C++ is a 'feature'. It might help make the forests interesting, but that remains to be seen, and as an actual gameplay enhancement it is basically nothing.

Would you rather see games still coded in C? :P

RpgMage

Novice
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
correction:VIVENDI RAPING THE GAMES YOU LOVE FOR COLD HARD CASH SINCE 95

Quest For Glory... King's Quest... oh, the pain, the PAIN! ...

Voltare

Liturgist
wtf?

For all you know the devs worked out a deal wit hthe university such that their payment is a credit in the game. AKA: Free advertising in a medium who's target demographic is largely upcoming college students.

Great.not only will we get sideways leaning tree's http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10819 (check 'em out....speedtree looks like crapola, heh.) but now we gotta deal with some sort of u-m advertisement in-game? imagine....yer wondering through the town, and here's this huge billboard " the university of maryland-----we know soil erosion!"

question: is soil erosion going to happen real time? or is it going to be just a method to get cool looking terrains?

Sarvis

Erudite
Re: wtf?

Voltare said:
For all you know the devs worked out a deal wit hthe university such that their payment is a credit in the game. AKA: Free advertising in a medium who's target demographic is largely upcoming college students.

Great.not only will we get sideways leaning tree's http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10819 (check 'em out....speedtree looks like crapola, heh.) but now we gotta deal with some sort of u-m advertisement in-game? imagine....yer wondering through the town, and here's this huge billboard " the university of maryland-----we know soil erosion!"

question: is soil erosion going to happen real time? or is it going to be just a method to get cool looking terrains?

Umm... I see no sideways leaning trees in that thread?

Also you do realize that a credit usually appears in the CREDITS right? Not necessarily in game? I mean hell, they already gave advertising to U of M or we wouldn't even be talking about them!

Data4

Arcane
Re: wtf?

Voltare said:

It's a tool in the construction set. Once the terrain is generated, eroded, etc., it's final and doesn't change in the game.

As for the leaning trees, I'm guessing the screenshot in question is looking uphill, which makes the trees look like they're leaning backwards.

-D4

Voltare

Liturgist

Nevermind, i see no leaning trees on the official site.now....why ain't there a freeware/shareware forest maker?????

Levski 1912

Scholar
Voltare said:
Nevermind, i see no leaning trees on the official site.now....why ain't there a freeware/shareware forest maker?????
You can download the Speedtree tech demos from the Speedtree webpage.

RpgMage

Novice
Official Oblivion specs released

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=228782

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

* 1 GB System RAM

* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP

* 512MB System RAM

* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

* 8x DVD-ROM drive

* 4.6 GB free hard disk space

* DirectX 9.0c (included)

* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

* Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1800 series

* ATI X1300 series

* ATI X850 series

* ATI x800 series

* ATI x700 series

* ATI x600 series

* ATI Radeon 9800 series

* ATI Radeon 9700 series

* ATI Radeon 9600 series

* ATI Radeon 9500 series

* ATI Radeon 9000 series

* NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce FX series

I just got a 6600GT... shoot me.

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
Re: Official Oblivion specs released

RpgMage said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228782
I just got a 6600GT... shoot me.
I've been computer-game-less for about a year, ever since I tried to install a wireless card and screwed up my registry. (Tried and failed? Tried and died.) I've been planning on buying a new computer for a while, but have been delaying it as long as possible so as to be able to run Oblivion and other new games at the highest settings possible. I guess now that the "official" specs are out, I don't have any more excuses to delay. I mean, Bethesda never changes their mind about things, so these specs are as holy as the Ten Commandments, right?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
When are these comics going to be hosted and organized somewhere? I can't be bothered to sift through a million pages of this goddamned thread just for teh funny.

Chefe

Erudite
Then don't read them.

The thread conversation is the best part, and it has hentai.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
You can't go wrong with Street Fighter Hentai. I can't through this thread without batchin' it.... which can be embarrassing when i'm at work.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Chefe said:
The thread conversation is the best part, and it has hentai.

Not for some time it hasn't. No cartoons. No hentai. Just that messy reading business...

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, and I didn't want to start a post, but I figured while we're lampooning everything else, I would include another stupid ESF fanboy quote, along with response.

QUOTE(CliffRacer86 @ Feb 4 2006, 10:55 PM)
Is it really true that you can sit on chairs? OMG that would be sweet...

Just wondering why that is so sweet. That's small potatoes. Sure, it might add to the realism, but I want a good RPG, not a sitting simulator...especially because I'm sitting while I'm playing the game.

Here's the link too: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230361&st=20&p=4116444&#entry4116444[/quote]

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
RpgMage said:
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
correction:VIVENDI RAPING THE GAMES YOU LOVE FOR COLD HARD CASH SINCE 95
(i intended to post 99)

Quest For Glory... King's Quest... oh, the pain, the PAIN! ...

DAMN NUMERIC KEYPAD

maybe i should proofread what i post....nah

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom