Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Kb + mouse supremacy here.

J1M

Arcane
some pc ports have shit kb+m controls, so what controller am I supposed to buy if I want to play them

last console I owned was a ps2 or something so I don't know shit about controllers
If the standard Xbox controller is too pedestrian for your PC master race sensibilities, you could go for the Elite version:

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

Aside from the gimmicks it also has extra buttons on the back of it. Don't have one myself due to it costing 4x as much.

bGl0ZS0zLmpwZw

There's also this option if you want one to match your gold-plated PC:

https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/

Lucumo

Educated
Why hack it together? So far, it's always worked for me without any issues. Though, I don't know about "recent" games but decently into the 10s, it wasn't a problem. Maybe the shift of PC games towards forcing XBox controls for controllers is an issue but other than that...
In the last decade windows games started using Xinput (which modern controllers support), intead of DirectInput which older controllers like the PS2 controller use. This might cause problems with some games if you use an older controller. Although there is an easy fix with Xemu360.
Ah, so that's the underlying thing. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems like XInput is garbage:

Advantages of DirectInput over XInput:

• XInput supports only controllers that work with the Microsoft Xbox console
  • XInput supports a maximum of four controllers at a time. DirectInput has no such limit
  • XInput does not support keyboards, mice, or mouse-type devices. While this mirrors Microsoft's recommendation not to use DirectInput with these devices,[13] programmers can use DirectInput with these devices.
  • XInput supports maximum of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. (The number of axes, buttons and triggers XInput supports corresponds directly to the Xbox 360 controller.)
Advantages of XInput over DirectInput:

• Currently supported by Microsoft

Well, as long as the games I want to play allow my PS2 controller without requiring any software, I won't complain. Theoretically, I also have a Gamecube controller but that one is for GC emulation only and I've never tried it with PC games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
XInput is garbage

AFAIK the point of XInput was to provide some sort of standardization in the PC controllers space since at the time there were all sorts of crazy different designs and layouts without much of a reason for them to be different aside from standing out or whatever. Hence the restrictions in how they look and behave. Before XInput you couldn't even know which axis is mapped to which joystick/gamepad/etc stick, so games either had some configuration utility or took a lowest common denominator approach - or just didn't bother.

But DirectInput is much more flexible than XInput and pretty much any XInput controller will also work as a DirectInput controller.

Note that many USB devices nowadays will work both as XInput and DirectInput controllers without needing external software (aside from drivers in some cases).

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
A ps4 controller using ds4windows. If I'm sitting on the desk i can plug it otherwise I'll just use the bluetooth conn connection. For some games you need to fiddle with the hide controller option for the game to see it, for others I need yo go through the big picture bs on steam to make it work l, usually if it's a shitty port.
You can even use the touchpad as a limited mouse (no rightclick AFAIK).
I've been told to upgrade to the ps5 but I'm not convinced yet

Inviato dal mio A80S utilizzando Tapatalk

visions

Arcane
This is their Megadrive/Genesis knockoff and it works very well, build quality is great and the dpad is very very good. Bluetooth isn't too laggy (though you can also used it wired for reduced latency) and it also works on the Switch, which I play from time to time.

How long have you used it? I've read some complaints that 8bitdo controllers don't last long.

Ivan

Arcane
Love the ridges around the Playstation 4/5 controller. Doubt I'll upgrade to the DS5, not convinced the extra features are worth it/happy with what I have.

This is their Megadrive/Genesis knockoff and it works very well, build quality is great and the dpad is very very good. Bluetooth isn't too laggy (though you can also used it wired for reduced latency) and it also works on the Switch, which I play from time to time.

How long have you used it? I've read some complaints that 8bitdo controllers don't last long.
I can't speak for their other controllers, but my M30 has been a trooper. I've had it for 2 years and play pretty regularly, never had a problem with it. I've even dropped it on a hard tile floor a few times and not even a nick on it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why hack it together? So far, it's always worked for me without any issues. Though, I don't know about "recent" games but decently into the 10s, it wasn't a problem. Maybe the shift of PC games towards forcing XBox controls for controllers is an issue but other than that...
In the last decade windows games started using Xinput (which modern controllers support), intead of DirectInput which older controllers like the PS2 controller use. This might cause problems with some games if you use an older controller. Although there is an easy fix with Xemu360.
Ah, so that's the underlying thing. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems like XInput is garbage:

• XInput supports a maximum of four controllers at a time. DirectInput has no such limit
  • XInput does not support keyboards, mice, or mouse-type devices. While this mirrors Microsoft's recommendation not to use DirectInput with these devices,[13] programmers can use DirectInput with these devices.
  • XInput supports maximum of 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller, compared to DirectInput's support for 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV. (The number of axes, buttons and triggers XInput supports corresponds directly to the Xbox 360 controller.)

Well, as long as the games I want to play allow my PS2 controller without requiring any software, I won't complain. Theoretically, I also have a Gamecube controller but that one is for GC emulation only and I've never tried it with PC games.
XInput is not garbage. The "adventages" of DirectInput you listed are non factors when it comes to playing with a controller. Not one of those points apply when you play. DirectInput is only useful when playing with a HOTAS which have a billion axes and buttons. But those use DirectInput anyway.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I can't speak for their other controllers, but my M30 has been a trooper. I've had it for 2 years and play pretty regularly, never had a problem with it. I've even dropped it on a hard tile floor a few times and not even a nick on it.
The M30 is just fantastic. I had it for a while and although I sold it because I didn't use it too much, it was a joy to hold and use.

Mustawd

XInput is not garbage. The "adventages" of DirectInput you listed are non factors when it comes to playing with a controller. Not one of those points apply when you play. DirectInput is only useful when playing with a HOTAS which have a billion axes and buttons. But those use DirectInput anyway.

Fun fact: The F310 has both DirectInput and Xinput available.

:smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Fun fact: The F310 has both DirectInput and Xinput available.

:smug:
You don't have to tell me, I own one. Great piece of hardware.

dacencora

The Xbox One Bluetooth controller is pretty nice. It has a great clicky dpad which, while not as great as a SNES dpad, is far preferable to pretty much all other alternatives.

The Xbox One Bluetooth controller is pretty nice. It has a great clicky dpad which, while not as great as a SNES dpad, is far preferable to pretty much all other alternatives.
The contacts on that dpad are really bad and will wear themselves out (metal brushing against metal) in time.

dacencora

The contacts on that dpad are really bad and will wear themselves out (metal brushing against metal) in time.
Perhaps, however, I have had mine since 2017 and it's still going strong.

Perhaps, however, I have had mine since 2017 and it's still going strong.
I've had mine a bit longer, maybe 2015 or 2016 and a couple directions (up and left mostly) are very bad by this point. It may be because my use case scenario is different from yours - I play a lot of emulators on the dpad exclusively.

Gibson

Learned
Xbox controller that came with the 360 console. it always works, is always already configured (at least in the games that i played so far) so I don't have to do shit exept plug it in. Wired ofcourse, because I don't want to be out of juice in the middle of the game.

Ivan

Arcane
Does anyone know how drifting works, specifically if it can vary from game to game. I could almost swear that every time I played Dark Souls, my dude would walk south. May be time to put it out to pasture

Cadmus

Arcane
Don't use any. If the game requires a controller then I don't play it.
Played Dark Souls with keyboard and mouse and never ever parried because of it.

J1M

Arcane
Does anyone know how drifting works, specifically if it can vary from game to game. I could almost swear that every time I played Dark Souls, my dude would walk south. May be time to put it out to pasture
Go into the control panel and configure it. Most likely cause of bad configuration is connecting the device with pressure applied to to a joystick.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I got the latest standard model Xbox controller and a Logitech F310. I've had other Xbox controllers from previous models.

The Xbox controller is definitely the superior alternative for anything that demand precision from the analog sticks. Since I prefer playing anything that involves aiming with the mouse and keyboard, this advantage is not a huge deal for me. The d-pad in the latest model is an improvement over the older ones, but it's still not a great d-pad.

The biggest issue with Xbox controllers in general is they quickly wear out and break with use. The latest seems to be lasting more, but it might just be luck.

I generally prefer the Logitech F310. The d-pad looks like the one on the 360, but actually works a lot better. The internals are different and the result is just way more input precision. Using the 360 d-pad I constantly ended up pushing down when trying to more forward or backward. On the F310 I've never had this kind of issue.

On the bad side, the analog sticks on the F310 aren't great but they are better than those on old PlayStation controllers, for example. The shoulder buttons are super tough and need some use to get confortable.

The big highlight of the F310 for me is the switch in the back that makes it natively dinput or xinput. A lot of old games do not work with xinput at all, or very poorly. Being able to just flip the switch and have the controller work without any hassle is absolutely beautiful.

Another thing I like about the F310 is how light it is.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention the F310 has no vibration. At all. Which is probably why it's so light.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have used a DualShock 3 for years, and it's the most comfortable option for my hands. Works with everything. Older and newer games. Emulated games, and PC releases.
sony-dualshock-3-sixaxis-controller-black-eu.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I have used a DualShock 3 for years, and it's the most comfortable option for my hands. Works with everything. Older and newer games. Emulated games, and PC releases.
sony-dualshock-3-sixaxis-controller-black-eu.jpg
Is it easy to set it up wirelessly on PC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom