Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Logitech F310

It's probably the best "cheap" cabled controller. Responds pretty well enough for most games, pretty durable too. And it is designed with Playstation controller in form with slight adjustment so it's comfortable on hands. Ergonomically due to shape I prefer Playstation shaped one compared to the bulky XBOX ones that make my hands uncomfortable.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got an XBox One and a Steam controller.

Both work fine, however what annoys me about the XBox One one is that it's so damn loud.
I tend to push the analog sticks all the way and it gets super clicky and annoying.

The Switch Pro controller is actually awesome and more silent as well. Might get that at some point.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have used a DualShock 3 for years, and it's the most comfortable option for my hands. Works with everything. Older and newer games. Emulated games, and PC releases.
sony-dualshock-3-sixaxis-controller-black-eu.jpg
Is it easy to set it up wirelessly on PC?
Try this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/ps3-controller-on-pc-guide

Not overly difficult. On the other hand, I play with wired controller these days.

ADL

Prophet
Steam Controller and a Xbox Elite Series V2 off ebay for $64 which is a little over the price of a standard Xbox Series controller. Highly recommend both for the back paddles alone which are extremely customizable via Steam Input. If you're gonna get the Elite controller though make sure you get one of those 3 year warranties off Squaretrade for $20. Mine has been working fine but a lot of people report problems.

$85 all-in for a controller that feels this good is worth it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The best 'standard' console controller is PS5's one. I just feels amazing.

But Xbox one is just fine.

Unfortunately it's a bitch getting the Dualsense to work on a PC. And impossible to have it paired to 2 devices at once. And it's not like Microsoft is being a dick by not allowing it to work on Windows, it's 100% Soyny's fault.

XBAWX 1 controller seems to be the best for now as it works and is much cheaper than a Steam controller.

ADL

Prophet
Valve defeated SCUF's bullshit patent for back buttons in court September 2021 and they were ordered to pay back the millions of dollars Valve were fined for infringing on their patent so you should start to see more back buttons being added soon. I'm hoping for a Steam Controller 2 because it'd be weird for the Deck to have a dock but not an official controller. Hopefully Sony does some sort of Pro controller of their own as well because if you want Dualsense functionality with back paddles, you gotta do some weird soldering bullshit or buy a $230 SCUF controller.

SCUF can suck the shit out of my asshole. Those fuckers are the main reason two generations worth of consoles didn't have them in their standard models.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I use a DualShock 4. Other than the issues across the big three that never get fixed (which this post would be too long for), I'd like the design more without the touch pad, which even very few PlayStation developers use. Makes the Options button placement too awkward. Actually, that's incorrect: almost every developer uses the touch pad, but simply as a button. Useless. Sturdier than the DS3. Sticks don't get as sticky after months of non-use, like the DS3.

fork

Don't buy an Xbox One/Series controller. They're the worst build quality I've ever encountered. 50% are broken out of the box in some way, the rest break within a year. I've gone through at least half a dozen, and I'm not the kind of person to throw them at the wall. They're the main reason I won't buy a current gen Xbox.

Xmantis

Novice
I usually use a DS4. Sometimes it can be a pain to get it working when not running from Steam. It seems like more games these days support Playstation controllers out of the box but I still occasionally have to boot up some XInput emulation software like DS4Windows.

I recently bought one of those Retrobit Sega Genesis wireless/USB controllers for some old skool gamin' and the build quality actually pretty decent. A cool feature is it comes with a wireless USB dongle as well as a wireless Genesis connector so I can use it with my real Genesis as well.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
SCUF can suck the shit out of my asshole. Those fuckers are the main reason two generations worth of consoles didn't have them in their standard models.
I doubt they're going to have them in their standard models since it's really easy for them to sell that as a "premium" feature and instead push some garbage like the touch pad as the "innovation". I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Had to use rumble to complete Ocarina of Time, because a lot of the secrets are the kinds you just walk over unknowingly. I dislike rumble, so I normally never use it. It's a DS4. DS4Windows' rumble settings are pretty bad. Often it will keep rumbling for no apparent reason. One of the dumbest controller features ever. Why would the vibrations go to my hands? Usually noisy too, and it's nearly always powerful when it should be light.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
some pc ports have shit kb+m controls, so what controller am I supposed to buy if I want to play them

last console I owned was a ps2 or something so I don't know shit about controllers
Dualshock is the only good controler (the Xbox ones have shit bumpers and a garbage cross, witch is a shame because it's slightly more confortable for the hands). So either PS4 or PS5 controller.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PC Master Race 4 Eva!

The original IBM PC came with a controller (a joystick) and various gaming peripherals like steering wheels and flight sticks were quickly made available for it for use with the early flight simulators. Home computers that predate the PC had several of different controllers available - often out of the box - and even by the early 90s there were tons of different dedicated gaming controllers and other peripherals.

That so many people nowadays associate the death of many PC gaming peripherals in the early 2000s (even nowadays it is very hard to find a decent joystick that isn't a full flight stick when back in the day there were many choices) and use of the mouse that could be taken as granted only since PC games switched to Windows in the late 90s as "the PC Master Race method" is ignorant at best and ignores the power and flexibility of the PC to be able to use any sort of input device.

PC gaming didn't begin in the late 90s or early 2000s, it was already decades old by that time.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
PC Master Race 4 Eva!

The original IBM PC came with a controller (a joystick) and various gaming peripherals like steering wheels and flight sticks were quickly made available for it for use with the early flight simulators. Home computers that predate the PC had several of different controllers available - often out of the box - and even by the early 90s there were tons of different dedicated gaming controllers and other peripherals.

That so many people nowadays associate the death of many PC gaming peripherals in the early 2000s (even nowadays it is very hard to find a decent joystick that isn't a full flight stick when back in the day there were many choices) and use of the mouse that could be taken as granted only since PC games switched to Windows in the late 90s as "the PC Master Race method" is ignorant at best and ignores the power and flexibility of the PC to be able to use any sort of input device.

PC gaming didn't begin in the late 90s or early 2000s, it was already decades old by that time.

Reading the actual data sheet from IBM on the Model 5150, IBMs first home PC in 1981, it shows only the keyboard being sold with it. The rest of you had listed are add-ons. I remember that joystick since it was the same one shipped with the Atari 2600. It was an 8 Way Single Button controller.

The first two generations of computers only had keyboards. Atari designed their 8 Way 1 Button joystick for the 2600 using the standard D-Sub 9 pin connector. Other companies copied the design and sold it under their own name brand.

PC Gaming was going strong in the 1980s as there were plenty of games available to play.

It seems that you are completely ignorant of things as you weren't alive then. I was and had one of the earliest computers sold which was the Atari 800 XL with 5.25" floppy drive. I had thousands of games on my PC ranging from QBert to Karateka and that was in 1984. My suggestion is for you to stick to what you know and let those of us that were alive speak about things you don't know about.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane

You can hardly fault us for that, though, the twin-stick controller is the most vivid emblem of the detrimental streamlining that videogames have suffered with the resurgence of consoles through the 2000s. Sure, there's other issues that get lumped in with it (e.g. IW's map size due to limited XBox RAM), but the controller itself is a major source of irritation too. The essence of the problem is that it's a handheld device meant to be used on your couch, without a mouse and keyboard on hand, thus reducing pointer precision and dramatically restricting your range of inputs. Analog inputs have great uses but the handheld controller's exclusivity demands design compromises. I would love to, for instance, have a little multi-button joystick built into the side of my keyboard - analog movement, mouse pointing, and all the shortcuts I could desire - but that's not how it's done.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

You can hardly fault us for that, though, the twin-stick controller is the most vivid emblem of the detrimental streamlining that videogames have suffered with the resurgence of consoles through the 2000s. Sure, there's other issues that get lumped in with it (e.g. IW's map size due to limited XBox RAM), but the controller itself is a major source of irritation too. The essence of the problem is that it's a handheld device meant to be used on your couch, without a mouse and keyboard on hand, thus reducing pointer precision and dramatically restricting your range of inputs. Analog inputs have great uses but the handheld controller's exclusivity demands design compromises. I would love to, for instance, have a little multi-button joystick built into the side of my keyboard - analog movement, mouse pointing, and all the shortcuts I could desire - but that's not how it's done.

Controllers for computers came about due to flight sims as the keyboard and mouse weren't adequate for what was needed. That's where Thrustmaster and other flight controller companies came into being as the standard CX40 joystick was insufficient.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reading the actual data sheet from IBM on the Model 5150, IBMs first home PC in 1981, it shows only the keyboard being sold. The rest of you had listed are add-ons. I remember that joystick since it was the same one shipped with the Atari 2600. It was an 8 Way Single Button controller.

Right, the 5150 itself didn't came with a joystick by IBM themselves but later models like PCjr released in 1984 had joysticks - however even the original 5150 had expansion cards for joystick support and as of IBM AT (1984) the BIOS provided functionality for easier access.

The first two generations of computers only had keyboards.

Yes, but from the beginning the IBM PC was made to be extensible and IBM even provided their own game control adapter, in fact...

Atari designed their 8 Way 1 Button joystick for the 2600 using the standard D-Sub 9 pin connector. Other companies copied the design and sold it under their own name brand.

...the so-called "PC game port" that persisted even during the 90s until USB replaced wasn't the common 9-pin dsub connector found in Atari but instead the 15-pin dsub connector found in IBM's control card.

PC Gaming was going strong in the 1980s as there were plenty of games available to play.

Sure, never claimed otherwise, i do not see the point of bringing that up.

It seems that you are completely ignorant of things as you weren't alive then.

Being alive at a period of history is unnecessary to know it, i have been interested in computing history and reading about it for decades now.

I was and had one of the earliest computers sold which was the Atari 800 XL with 5.25" floppy drive. I had thousands of games on my PC ranging from QBert to Karateka and that was in 1984.

Sure, i also had a PC XT clone in 1991 with several PC games, but i'm not sure what is the point of mentioning this. Your Atari 800 XL was also able to use controllers too - as was the Apple II released in 1977. So if anything you should know that controllers was a thing on PCs and home computers since pretty much the beginning.

My suggestion is for you to stick to what you know and let those of us that were alive speak about things you don't know about.

I do stick with what i know indeed, but you being alive back then doesn't make you automatically knowledgeable of what was going on.

And regardless the point of my post was that controllers existed in home computers and PCs from the beginning and not something that came out much later, so associating PCs with "keyboard and mouse" (which is actually something the vast majority of computers didn't even have until Windows started dominating the OS space - hence why Windows was always way more keyboard friendly than the Mac because the latter came with a mouse whereas the former had to work in PCs without one) and consoles with "controllers" is ignorant at best when not only home computers/PCs had controllers from the very beginning, but they always had by far the richest selection of controllers even taking all other gaming platforms combined.

The essence of the problem is that it's a handheld device meant to be used on your couch, without a mouse and keyboard on hand, thus reducing pointer precision and dramatically restricting your range of inputs.

PC gaming nowadays is more than just a desktop though - you could already connect your PC to a big TV for couch gaming, either directly via an HDMI cable or using something like Steam Link, so being able to use a controller that is convenient for such a use is a positive thing. In addition in recent years you are able to play PC gaming in handheld form factors too, be it via steaming (Nvidia provided this for some time now) to a mobile phone (and an associated bluetooth controller that can be wrapped around the phone) or via dedicated gaming hardware like GPD Win or now the Steam Deck (which has its own controller interface that expands on the limitations that XBox/PS4-derived controllers have).

I would love to, for instance, have a little multi-button joystick built into the side of my keyboard - analog movement, mouse pointing, and all the shortcuts I could desire - but that's not how it's done.

This is something that i also wanted for some time but i think the main issue would be that games need to support at least seamless controller and mouse use and few games do that nowadays. Perhaps it could be made to work with Steam's input API.

But there needs to be some demand for it and with the way people associate "PC=KBM" it is sometimes hard to convince people that the digital WASD is actually inferior to a real analog input for precise input, despite being perfectly capable of understanding that having direct control over the camera's orientation with an analog device (their mouse) is superior to having indirect control over the it by adjusting its speed (the right control stick with most gamepads).

And IMO people who make such associations make it harder to have devices like the one you and i would like to see.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Right, the 5150 itself didn't came with a joystick by IBM themselves but later models like PCjr released in 1984 had joysticks - however even the original 5150 had expansion cards for joystick support and as of IBM AT (1984) the BIOS provided functionality for easier access.

Which means that the first IBM PC didn't ship with a joystick as you claimed. You had to buy it separately.

Yes, but from the beginning the IBM PC was made to be extensible and IBM even provided their own game control adapter, in fact...

That was not my point of contention and even stated that you could use joysticks with the 5150.

...the so-called "PC game port" that persisted even during the 90s until USB replaced wasn't the common 9-pin dsub connector found in Atari but instead the 15-pin dsub connector found in IBM's control card.

It was common on every machine not IBM. I know because I owned several computers like a Tandy 1000 RL. IBM always did their own thing.

Sure, never claimed otherwise, i do not see the point of bringing that up.

I misunderstood your meaning, so take my comment as an agreement.

Being alive at a period of history is unnecessary to know it, i have been interested in computing history and reading about it for decades now.

It actually necessary or how else do you learn about the past? This is truly an ignorant statement.

Sure, i also had a PC XT clone in 1991 with several PC games, but i'm not sure what is the point of mentioning this. Your Atari 800 XL was also able to use controllers too - as was the Apple II released in 1977. So if anything you should know that controllers was a thing on PCs and home computers since pretty much the beginning.

You should know that my original comment was a joke. I know all about the history of controllers on computers. I was alive then remember? Oh wait, you said being alive during that period was unnecessary...

I do stick with what i know indeed, but you being alive back then doesn't make you automatically knowledgeable of what was going on.

It actually does, especially when I remember playing all the original arcade games in a local bar while my old man drank and watched me play. I remember playing Atari's Pong etc... So that does make me knowledgeable on what was happening.

And regardless the point of my post was that controllers existed in home computers and PCs from the beginning and not something that came out much later, so associating PCs with "keyboard and mouse" (which is actually something the vast majority of computers didn't even have until Windows started dominating the OS space - hence why Windows was always way more keyboard friendly than the Mac because the latter came with a mouse whereas the former had to work in PCs without one) and consoles with "controllers" is ignorant at best when not only home computers/PCs had controllers from the very beginning, but they always had by far the richest selection of controllers even taking all other gaming platforms combined.

And my post was a joke poking fun at all the retards that use an 11 button controller with twin sticks over the superior keyboard and mouse. PC Master Race 4 Eva!

Tell me can your consoles use flight control systems like what Thrustmaster produces even with the complete cockpit panels? Oh no, you can't. PC can and does it better.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Which means that the first IBM PC didn't ship with a joystick as you claimed. You had to buy it separately.

I might have been misleading with the "came" part, i meant that it was available from the beginning, not that you got one out of the box.

It was common on every machine not IBM. I know because I owned several computers like a Tandy 1000 RL. IBM always did their own thing.

Yes but regardless, the point was that controllers were available on PCs and home computers from the beginning.

It actually necessary or how else do you learn about the past?

By reading about it, i have several books on the early gaming and computer history which provide several different viewpoints and hence a more rounded view than what a single viewpoint would ever have.

I mean, how do you think history before 1900 is known?

Tell me can your consoles

I do not really have any modern consoles (i have a PS2 but i got it 6-7 years ago to do some retro programming but never went around it and only got a single game for it).

use flight control systems like what Thrustmaster produces even with the complete cockpit panels? Oh no, you can't. PC can and does it better.

Yes, which is something i already brought up - "the power and flexibility of the PC to be able to use any sort of input device".

My issue is associating PCs with keyboard and mouse, as if using anything else is "not PC" - which is clearly wrong because the PC can use any input device and controllers specifically were available on home computers even before the IBM PC itself was a thing, not to mention how the mouse itself was very rare on PCs and home computers (Mac aside) before Windows became mainstream.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
DualShock 5.

In general a good controller, though the sharp plastic edge on the left side of the controller fucks with the side of the knuckle of my middle finger. It's not really noticable unless you use the DPAD for movement (play Tekken 7 for example). Originally, I wanted to get another DualShock 4, but I couldn't find it anywhhere on the net. Sad!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom