Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any RPG that is coming out that anyone is excited about?

Vikjunk

Novice
Only one that I've seen that looks interesting is Lionheart and I find it iffy at best.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Let's see.. There's Goldenlands, I think it's called. It's a CRPG being worked on by a Russian developer. It's turn based as well.

In the mean time, there's Avernum 3. I wrote a first look about it:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=7

We're still waiting to hear what Troika's new games are, hopefully they'll have some merit.

Vikjunk

Novice
Yes, of course we're waiting of the Troika games but I'm waiting for news on that first... :D

Deathy

Liturgist
I'm looking forward to Geneforge 2, whenever Vogel decides to make it.
Oh, and I think this'd go better in the RPG discussion forum.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
When Troika comes out with their games list I'll *probably* make a fansite(s) for them.

Having nothing to do is wonderful!

Vikjunk

Novice
That is just because I'm on IRC and type faster then I should and not taking the time to use spell check... :wink:

Ausir

Arcane
I'm waiting for Lionheart and Wiedzmin - Polish cRPG based on the books of Andrzej Sapkowski - best Polish fantasy writer.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They're not allowed to announce anything until January, 2003. Why the wait, I have no idea. It doesn't seem like that gives them much time to hype it.

VasikkA

Liturgist
I'm looking forward to BIS's Jefferson project, whatever that is.

Dan

Liturgist
VasikkA said:
I'm looking forward to BIS's Jefferson project, whatever that is.

A lot of people were waiting for their last project as well, you remember what that turned out to be...

VasikkA

Liturgist
The information so far has been promising: A new engine, no D&D if I recall correctly.
JE Sawyer was excited about it, of course he is the main desiger...

At least that's some progress, taking BIS's last three years into notice.

Dan

Liturgist
VasikkA said:
The information so far has been promising: A new engine, no D&D

No IE? That's good.

No D&D? That's good, but surprising.

Vikjunk

Novice
They haven't said anything about it not being a D&D game. The only thing they said is they want the game to have more roleplaying in it and some people would love it, others would hate it, and it will be 3D. There are a lot of BIS fanboys that swear up and down it will be a D&D game because of some shallow “proof”.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think they're right about it being D&D for one simple reason. BIS only has so long to cash in on the D&D license before they lose it. They can only make D&D games for three years, and those games have to contain the name, "Baldur's Gate" or "Icewind Dale".

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
D&D needs to be confined to NWN now. That's what it's there for.

The year just gone was my looking forward to RPGs year, and I was disappointed. The year to come is likely to be characterised by looking forward to MMORPGs. Sorry. I know, I know - now I have to leave and play with the other smelly kids ...

Nagling

Educated
Excited would be exaggerating but I am somewhat interested to learn about BIS Jefferson and Troikas two projects.. Avernum I havnet read about yet (i will soon) but Spiderweb have created fun things before so..

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spiderweb's games are about as close to what I want from RPGs that one person can do on his own. There's a few design choices in them that I'd question, like not making attributes like Strength, Dex, etc. as easy as skills to raise. It's the level of detail and crafting in them that I appreciate.

I would like to see Spiderweb combine the elements of his character system(s) in Geneforge 2 though. As I see it:

• Leadership skill from Geneforge is great. I love a good, used speech skill. I'd like to see it expanded more in another game.
  • Advantages/Disadvantages from every game of his but Geneforge are super as well. Sure, GURPS does the same thing, but that's because it's a good idea. Anything that allows you to customize your character is a good thing.
  • Classless system like Avernum has would be nice. I'm not sure why Vogel stepped away from that when he made Geneforge, but he did.

All in all, I think it's Vogel's ability to craft a setting and present it well is why I like his games.

wizard

Liturgist
There is a class system in Geneforge. The Shapers, Agents and Guardians are the classes but hopefully there will be more classes in G2.
And that advantages/disadvantages would be great.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It'd be hard to think what classes he could add with the current system, other than maybe a "Jack of All Trades" class that doesn't get any of the bonuses that the other classes have like how Shapers get the bonus to shaping skills but get a negative bonus to fighting skills. Something like the Sholai could be the "Jack of All Trades" type, since they aren't selected to be proffient in an area.

Adding a good number of Advantages and Disadvantages to Geneforge 2 would go a long way towards making the Shaper triad classes more customizable, though. If there were enough of them, you really wouldn't need more classes.

Then again, he could make some Advantages and Disadvantages define what a Shaper, Guardian, or Agent are. For example, Advantages that would do this would be Better Shaping, Better Magic, and Better Fighting that would give the bonuses typically given to those classes. Then throw in the opposite versions of those as Disadvantages, and have them offset the XP penalties. So, a Shaper archetype would have Better Shaping and Weaker Fighting preset. Then just allow a player to pick three Advantages/Disadvantages instead of just two.

That way, you could go with the Shaper preset and still pick an Advantages or Disadvantages. You'd basically be just like a Shaper from the original, but it would allow more customization all around for a player who wants to build their own class.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
I wait for Elder Scrolls 4

I will probably need a pentium 8 running in 15000 MHZ with a geforce 8 with minimum texture ram 1 GIGA and minimum main ram 16 Gbytes but i think it will be worth the wait

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom