Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you loved back in the day but will never ever play again

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Lego rock riders
The game flaws became really apparent once i retried it relatively recently. It was funny to learn how many people were filtered by that mission with ice monsters, recall it was the last mission i myself played.

Other examples don't come to mind.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Lego rock riders
The game flaws became really apparent once i retried it relatively recently. It was funny to learn how many people were filtered by that mission with ice monsters, recall it was the last mission i myself played.

Other examples don't come to mind.
you take that back mister i was about to say thats a game i could replay any day (with mods)

I don't think I can really think of anything I liked so much that I wouldn't play now. Not counting online games that died/changed. It doesn't feel like there's such a hard line between playing and not playing games. It's not like it's a Twitter bio identity you need to commit to. Just play it when you need to lmao

Norfleet

The problem is a tank is not a human. Forward, Reverse, turn (slowly). It is super simple, but creates difficulty when under pressure when a tiger is on your ass, and is not how a human moves. It shouldn't take multiple seconds to line myself up for a jump, or to turn 90 degrees.
Aren't those just NORMAL controls that we had in every game prior to meeces becoming a thing?

Abhay

Augur
GTA SA - Played this game so much for the past 12 years but finally with a heavy heart have to say busted - not possible to play anymore. Definitive edition is impressive. Many of the annoyances are addressed which make it better in comparison. Modding community is still active so hopefully in next 5 years some good mods will be available.

The only thing definitive needs is AI tweaks.

Mafia CoLH - It is still replayable but the enhanced edition has definitely been amazing in comparison with minor quibbles here and there but again modding will resolve it. I won't say I will never play again but the original finally needs some rest and shall remain a rare install.

Far cry 1 - Boring and outdated now. Many shooters are available with better features and overhaul in mechanics. FC2 with mods is my go to install for FC experience Same goes to many other shooters incl tactical ones like H&D2 (H&D deluxe is actually more fun), Ghost recon series (because of heroes unleashed mod), Half life, etc. Silent storm is the only exception that I still find it worth playing. I'd like to know better alternative

mkultra

Augur
FPS games (and also 2D shooters), just bores me to death.
2D platformers. I sometimes believe i can go back, but nah.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, I've always wondered...what are "tank controls"? I've seen games that I'm familiar with criticized for this, but I don't remember any tank controls in the game, and as someone who regularly drives a tank, I think I know what tank controls look and feel like. Also, why are they bad? Tank controls are meant to be easy to use, even a child can manage them.

Each time I read 'tank controls', the first thing that immediately comes to my mind is this:

Another_World_17.png

Which is why the only game to which the term 'tank controls' applies for me is System Shock 1 :M

edit to the serial ratists: the pic is supposed to be the tank section at the arena in Another World

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The problem is a tank is not a human. Forward, Reverse, turn (slowly). It is super simple, but creates difficulty when under pressure when a tiger is on your ass, and is not how a human moves. It shouldn't take multiple seconds to line myself up for a jump, or to turn 90 degrees.
Aren't those just NORMAL controls that we had in every game prior to meeces becoming a thing?
For 3D games in the very early years, well yes and no. But it is quite pronounced in Tomb Raider, as a game with true 3D gameplay and a lot of platforming. e.g a lot of Doom is flat plane by comparison and there is no jump button. Also Doom has Strafing + simultaneous looking which makes a big difference (as you can combine both to turn faster for instance). TR would actually be improved a lot by the simple inclusion of strafing. Instead you get a slow-ass side step/jump and can't turn while doing it.

Age of Empires it's a different case, it IS in their design. I enjoyed a lot of AoE1 when I was like 9 years old or something. But at 9 years old my tastes & standards had barely formed and the entire concept was new to me. I bought AoE2 Remastered recently having never played it before and didn't enjoy it after 10 hours or so. I just don't like that style of gameplay that boils down to following the one or two rigid strategies and otherwise furiously panning and clicking on shit, and not a lot else to it.
Funny, I play AoE2 online since 2015, my skill is mid-level and my experience is completely different. I still love it as much as I loved it when I was a kid, and now that I learned how to play I'm having a lot of fun in multiplayer matches.

My favorite map is Megarandom and I play with random civs, don't follow any specific build orders (I guess that's why I'm only at mid-level ELO, ha) and don't even use hotkeys. Sure, the pace is fast and you have to react to your enemy's moves quickly, but it's not furious clicking on shit at all.

Note when I criticise a game it is never in regards to multiplayer, since I no longer give a fuck about multiplayer. The inclusion of human intelligence as an opponent is always a game changer for sure, some people draw a lot from the social element (e.g competition, clout, simple shit talking, trolling), and furthermore some people get caught in a degenerate loop playing the same shit over and over past its sensible expiry date because of these things, or are only still playing it because their buddies are - another form of degenerate loop.
So anyway, I am talking about the SP only. Do you play the singleplayer at all? Because is all I give a crap about and it is all I judge any game by. I swore to never MP again years ago. that is time better spent in the gym.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
I actually find Diablo clones better with a gamepad. Since you cannot click to move you actually get to control the character directly which turns the game into more of a isometric God of War rather than the click-a-ton it normally is. Diablo 3 is definitely better this way than with mouse and keyboard

You have a point, but looking and sorting through your inventory is painful without a mouse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo and its clones. I used to enjoy them but the gameplay loop just doesn't do it for me anymore. Grind trash mobs, get random loot drops, repeat. The combat is neither as cerebral as a turn based tactical RPG nor is it as full-on action fun as Quake. You pretty much just click the left mouse button on enemies and that's the gameplay. I'm not a buildfag so I don't really care about the 50 different character builds I can make, the core gameplay is still just left clicking on monster mobs repeatedly.
I actually find Diablo clones better with a gamepad. Since you cannot click to move you actually get to control the character directly which turns the game into more of a isometric God of War rather than the click-a-ton it normally is. Diablo 3 is definitely better this way than with mouse and keyboard.
Imagine suggesting a gamepad to the most vocal anti-gamepad extremist on the Codex lmao

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So anyway, I am talking about the SP only. Do you play the singleplayer at all? Because is all I give a crap about and it is all I judge any game by. I swore to never MP again years ago. that is time better spent in the gym.
Yes, I recently started playing Definitive Edition after playing HD in multiplayer since 2015 and am going through all the new campaigns. They're fun. I also downloaded a bunch of user-made campaigns to play after the official ones.

Not interested in random map skirmishes vs the AI though, that's what multiplayer is for. But campaign gameplay is fun.

V17

Educated
2D Platformers. As a kid I thought they were amazing for some reason, probably because I really liked exploration, even if it was only exploration of rudimentary platformer levels, and they offered it in ways that were very simple and straightforward, compared to RPGs or even FPS games. I think I saw them as some sort of default, standard games and liked the uniquely "gamey" feel of tile-based levels.
I still enjoy one every few years if it offers some actual challenge and ideally also innovation, like Spelunky, and maybe I'd still like the best classics of the genre like SNES Super Mario World, but it's definitely a "despite being a platformer" thing. I remember thinking Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was the coolest shit ever and I don't think I'd play that for five minutes now.

Fargus

Arcane
Ugh, a lot. I just cant enjoy these games anymore for different reasons, be that the game being dated as fuck and not standing the test of time, not having enough patience or just getting sick of that type of game:

Fallout 1
Left for dead\payday coop shit
Duke nukem manhattan project
Far cry 1
Gangland
GTA trilogy
Siege of Avalon
Sniper Elite
Spellforce 2
Dawn of War 1-2
Starbound
Divinity OS1
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Commandos series
Hitman 1
Titan Quest

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ugh, a lot. I just cant enjoy these games anymore for different reasons, be that the game being dated as fuck and not standing the test of time, not having enough patience or just getting sick of that type of game:
I keep saying this and it's unpopular but I think a lot of people feel it. The classics were awesome but we shouldn't even expect them to be playable over and over forever. I completed most things once. The best ones I might play a second time. But third time I always get bored. And some games have modern alternatives that are maybe not better but definitely more comfortable to play.

Even EverQuest my favorite game ever I have played it to death. I've seen it all and so many times, there's nothing I can wring out of it. And yet other games usually pale in comparison to it. It's a really bad time for gaming.

Lagi

Savant
A game that I definitely won't touch again in its original version is Warcraft 1. It was cool when it was relatively new, the rts genre was just developing, but even then, this game had its drawbacks, such as the inablility to command more than 4 units, and even that was a bit of a hassle. Warcraft 2 & 3 otoh are very much playable to this day
try this:
https://stratagus.com/war1gus.html
it works only with legal warcraft1 (from gog f.ex)

newtmonkey

Arcane
I generally don't replay RPGs, even though this is my favorite genre. It has nothing to do with their quality, but I'd almost always rather play some RPG (old or new) I've not finished, than replay one I've already completed. I don't think it has anything to do with whether a game is old or new, honestly. I really cannot imagine replaying some 60+ hour RPG, whether it's Icewind Dale or Might & Magic Book One, even though I'd rate both of those games :5/5:.

I do understand the appeal of replaying an RPG with some different party or by handicapping yourself to make it more challenging, but that's not for me.

Nowadays I very rarely comeback to anything that requires keyboard + mouse.

When I'm in mood to replay e.g. Quake, DN3D, Wolf3D or Shadow Warrior, I'm doing it on original Xbox because they are surprisingly great on gamepad.

Fairly recent Xbox port of 1st Diablo with dedicated control scheme brought me back to this geam.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I keep saying this and it's unpopular but I think a lot of people feel it. The classics were awesome but we shouldn't even expect them to be playable over and over forever. I completed most things once. The best ones I might play a second time. But third time I always get bored. And some games have modern alternatives that are maybe not better but definitely more comfortable to play.

Even EverQuest my favorite game ever I have played it to death. I've seen it all and so many times, there's nothing I can wring out of it. And yet other games usually pale in comparison to it. It's a really bad time for gaming.

Sorry, but no. It's a mental block. Generally old games are far superior, but between install issues, having to actually LEARN how to play because they are often more complex an demanding, combined with extremely minor convenience shit that modern games do better, even I sometimes am like "nah I can't be bothered", despite understanding this. If you can get over this fallacious thinking you're often rewarded with a superior experience, providing you pick the correct games.

Certain games, like GTA SA since that was listed more than once, was never THAT good. A good game yes, and probably the best GTA, but not without issues.

1. There's a lot of driving. Somewhat barebones driving in fact. This is not a problem of the game's age, just that this isn't exactly thrilling gameplay and therefore has a limited lifespan. Fine on the first, second playthrough maybe.
2. Combat. This is a matter of age and decline design. early-Mid 2000s was full of auto aim garbage and thankfully that age is over.

Other than this it's largely pretty solid, and superior to most open world offerings today despite being a flawed but good 8.25/10 or something. I would also find it painful to sit through today, and will not bother unless heaviliy modded but that's only because I played it enough when it came out (100% completion in fact), and more importantly it was never THAT great nor replayable. I only barely consider it a "classic". A sum of its parts kind of game.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I loved San Andreas but my point is about how replayable they are. Would you complete it more than 3 times? Even some of the best things I've played like System Shock, I couldn't get through a 3rd playthrough. Some games are replayable like RTS or whatever, I've played things like that 1000s of times. But even with those games there reaches a point eventually where I've seen it all many times.

Ash

Arcane
GTA SA and System Shock are not very replayable (one playthrough each, and never again, because I don't like them THAT much. I do like them though).
Meanwhile System Shock 2 I must be on 6 playthroughs now, mods responsible for half. I don't consider GTA nor SS1 particularly replayable, meanwhile SS2 is thanks to build choices and mods. And SS2 is probably my #2 favorite game of all time.

Intentionally replayable design aside though, a true quality game may not be immediately replayable, but wait 5-10 years wherein you forget a lot of the finer details and you're good to go again. Throw gameplay-enhancing mods on top (should be doing this anyway, if there are any good ones) for good measure.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Mods are shit. Unless they are made by me. And ‘build choices’ are shit too. Except the ones chosen by me. Especially if I haven't played a game in years, then I really want to have the same old experience, untouched by modders' dumb arbitrary alterations. Otherwise I'd just play a new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom