Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you loved back in the day but will never ever play again

Zlaja

Arcane
I have fond memories of playing earlier Medal Of Honor and Wolfenstein games, but I just can't stand playing/replaying WW2 games these days. Modern day politics have ruined this type of games for me. I especially can't stand playing as "muh brave anglo" military, considering today's clown world sheenanigens.

Same reason I can't stand playing "Modern Warfare" games.

deuxhero

Arcane
Unless someone reverse engineers a source port: Interstate 76. Even the fixes were lacklluster on Windows 7, and I doubt they'll suddenly work on Proton.

Arbiter

Scholar
My picks:

Civilization 1 - too dated

Icewind Dale series - while I love the setting, I consider those games linear, combat heavy slogs with little plot. Would rather play BG or PST instead.

Platformers - played Prehistoric, Lost Vikings, Lion King, Contra and Prince of Persia a lot as a kid, but don't enjoy them anymore.

Unreal - replayed the game last year with a high res texture pack and it was a slog, I do not think I am ever going to play it again. OTOH I still play Doom and Quake with source ports.

Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena against bots - I am never going to play them again, unless I find human opponents.

World of Warcraft - I played until around level 65 on private servers and got bored. I must admit, however, that seeing locations from Warcraft 1 and 2 up close was a treat at that time. IMO Warcraft lore is beyond saving by now. I do not think I am ever going to play any MMOs again.

Betrayal at Krondor - too dated.

Gothic 1 - it was fun to play it once, but I do not see myself playing it again. Never understood the cult following it has on Codex. Gothic 2 played as a mage was a slog. I may, however, revisit it one day as a melee character.

Kotor 1 - feels cheesy nowdays, not sure why it was so successful back in the day

First two Total War games - too dated

Bioshock - would rather replay System Shock 2

Simcity 1 - too dated

Age of Empires 1 - too dated. I might, however, be tempted to replay Warcraft 1 one day for lore

Incredible Machine - don't enjoy puzzle games anymore

Zlaja

Arcane
Icewind Dale series - while I love the setting, I consider those games linear, combat heavy slogs with little plot. Would rather play BG or PST instead

Gothic 1 - it was fun to play it once, but I do not see myself playing it again. Never understood the cult following it has on Codex. Gothic 2 played as a mage was a slog. I may, however, revisit it one day as a melee character.

:killit:

Arbiter

Scholar
My picks:

Simcity 1 - too dated

Age of Empires 1 - too dated. I might, however, be tempted to replay Warcraft 1 one day for lore
Are you sure? I was told multiple times on codex that games don't age at all.

Codex likes to pretend to be an elitist, old school community that plays Goldbox games all the time. In reality Oblivion and Mass Effect are in top 101.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My picks:

Icewind Dale series - while I love the setting, I consider those games linear, combat heavy slogs with little plot. Would rather play BG or PST instead.

Platformers - played Prehistoric, Lost Vikings, Lion King, Contra and Prince of Persia a lot as a kid, but don't enjoy them anymore.

Unreal - replayed the game last year with a high res texture pack and it was a slog, I do not think I am ever going to play it again. OTOH I still play Doom and Quake with source ports.

Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena against bots - I am never going to play them again, unless I find human opponents.

World of Warcraft - I played until around level 65 on private servers and got bored. I must admit, however, that seeing locations from Warcraft 1 and 2 up close was a treat at that time. IMO Warcraft lore is beyond saving by now. I do not think I am ever going to play any MMOs again.

Kotor 1 - feels cheesy nowdays, not sure why it was so successful back in the day

Bioshock - would rather replay System Shock 2

Simcity 1 - too dated

Incredible Machine - don't enjoy puzzle games anymore

the real takeaway from this post is that this faget at some point 'loved' biocock

Arbiter

Scholar
the real takeaway from this post is that this faget at some point 'loved' biocock

Let me guess, you only play Wasteland Ultima 1 (1981) and Wizardry 1 (1981) on a vintage PC from 80s with a refurbished EGA graphics card. Too bad most of the Codex does not share your taste.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
Exile: Escape from the Pit (trilogy) 1995
Aethra Chronicles 1994
yendorian tales 1997

technological and game quality jumps in the 90s were crazy (baldurs gate 1 is from 1998, fallout 1 - 97). Literally every month, the games improve in geometrical scale.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
yeah it was good for the first 10% or something of the game

were you trying to present an argument?

Arbiter

Scholar
maybe, but when you said e.g. gothic was 'too dated' you should have specified that you meant it doesn't have cover shooting

Good thing some of Codex top RPGs have it, for example prestigious titles like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol.

Warlords: Battlecry II.

I had a ton of fun playing that when I was younger. Nice array of factions, fun gameplay at the time, had a Risk-style campaign map, some of the best vidya music I've ever heard, etc. I can't play it now. I tried - Supreme Commander spoiled me with all sorts of technical improvements, but most particularly, the strategic camera. Being locked in close to one part of the map and having to navigate by panning or by minimap clicks is awful compared to moving the scroll wheel a tiny bit, moving the mouse a tiny bit, and then moving the scroll wheel a tiny bit again. It's unfortunate because I'd like to go back and finish the campaign (never did when I played it - got about a third of Etheria conquered as Sirians), but it's aged very poorly, as have most RTS of that era.

I still listen to the soundtrack, though. It's really good.

Hagashager

Educated
People loved Bioshock for the Jules Verne's universe, nothing else.
Bioshock 1 came out when I was entering High School. I loved how it "blended high philosophy and high action" because being 15 that's what I thought constituted mature storytelling.

That same 9th Grade I did start reading actual philosophy and couddn't stand Bioshock after.

What **really** ground my gears though was Infinite. It takes a certain kind of degenerate scumbag to think Jim Crow racism is a nifty backdrop for your wacky interdimensional Earl Flynn fantasy. That game offended me in a way I didn't think I could be.

"start a conversation", oh yeah, it started a conversation alright. Ken Levine deserves to be homeless, and if there was any justice in the world he would be.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Time Commando - Its linear nature combined with the frustration factor meant I'll probably not attempt it again. Was fun for its time but it aged terribly.
Daytona USA - Bit of snobbery here but I refuse to play this online, 8 Player Arcade is impossible because no one has working machines so I'll unlikely ever play it again.
Tetris (GB) - Why play this version when there's much much better versions now. The arcade versions especially are really good fun and hectic. I appreciate it for being the first a played a lot of it as a kid but I have better versions now.
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green - I think I've grown out of it and all the modern versions seem to be getting worse with every release, plus the designs are so uninspired these days. The original was fun but I can't be bothered going through that all over again.
Sam and Max: Hit the Road - Loved it back in the day but the ending makes me never want to play it again. Its such an unsatisfying game which is a shame because it starts off very strong, but once you know how it ends you just don't feel motivated to ever play it again.
Star Trek: A Final Unity - Same problem with Sam and Max, once you've seen the ending you never want to play it again and some of the puzzles suck, the other Star Trek adventure games are better its just a shame they're not TNG games.
Eve Online: - CCP are the fucking worst. Talk about ruin what used to be a great game.
Elemental Saga: - It never got released so I'll never play it again I was in the beta (I miss it though one of the best MMOs ever made). Q_Q
Interstate 82: - Its worse than 76 so I'm not going to waste my time with it again. It was great for its time but its dated and I think was a very inferior sequel.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Original campaigns for both NwN and NwN 2. Played and finished both, but neither story (first one a David Icke's wet dream and second, boring and fruitless drudge) is worth the time spent.. Maybe I'll install them sometime, but only for some expansions (contrary to codexian opinion, I remember enjoying playing SoZ a lot more than MotB) and modules (never played Ossian one's except MoW or some well known user-made mods like Swordflight, A Dance with Rogues and The Maimed God's Saga)...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I loved San Andreas but my point is about how replayable they are. Would you complete it more than 3 times? Even some of the best things I've played like System Shock, I couldn't get through a 3rd playthrough. Some games are replayable like RTS or whatever, I've played things like that 1000s of times. But even with those games there reaches a point eventually where I've seen it all many times.
That reminds me.

I loved the hell out of Vice City when it came out. Played through it many times back then.
So I recently tried to replay it again... but once nostalgia was gone, I just ended up being bored by how simplistic everything is compared to more recent installments.

And dear lord, the controls were shit back then. I wanted to jump off a bridge after doing that helicopter toy mission :lol:

Falksi

Arcane
Super Mario World. Brilliant for an 11 year old who had never played a Mario game before and also wanted something which was very accessible so all the girls at school could come around and play it, and us lads could perv on them. Shite for a grown adult who actually wants some form of remote challenge with his games. Whilst I can appreciate the game design, I can't stay interested enough to play more than 3, maybe 4 levels at a time without growing bored.

Fallout 3. Yeah, it's not a great game but my first playthrough of it was one of those which just fell right. I played it over an Xmas holiday period in a new home with a then-hot girl, and a shed load of gifts to consume, including some awesome single malt whiskeys. Lots of Balvenie, lot of shagging, lot of gorging on food, lots of easy/lazy days. It made Fallout 3 really enjoyable, and the perfect game to kick back on. Tried to replay it twice since, what a bag of wank.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom