Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how PP did financially. Aggregators give a very crude estimation of 200-300k copies sold which isn’t bad I guess + they got some money from Epic. Probably this strategy helped securing some extra bucks, but in the long run Mr. Gollop will enjoy much less credibility. Not sure if it bothers him though.

Yeah, I'm sure he's devastated.

1698190369620.jpeg

agris

Arcane
Patron
I wonder how PP did financially. Aggregators give a very crude estimation of 200-300k copies sold which isn’t bad I guess + they got some money from Epic. Probably this strategy helped securing some extra bucks, but in the long run Mr. Gollop will enjoy much less credibility. Not sure if it bothers him though.

it would have helped if he hadn’t fucked up the execution of the initial pitch with WoW-tier art and gobbledygook nationstates / geography.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

00:00 - Intro & Game Overview
02:55 - How Will the Strategy Layer Work?
05:28 - Will the Overworld React To Your Moves?
07:50 - Static/Marked Missions
08:55 - How Will Turn-Based Combat Function?
12:07 - Injuries On Squads Mechanic
14:18 - What Will Replayability Be Like In MENACE?
16:48 - Will Enemy Threat Gain New Units/Gear?
17:52 - Does MENACE Use Rectangle Grid For Battles?
19:02 - Will There Be Multiple Ways To Complete A Mission?
20:50 - How Many Missions In A Campaign?
22:16 - Level Of Customization
30:10 - Will Difficulty Scale?
32:02 - How Will Mechs Work?
35:44 - Airborn Units?
37:19 - Are Squads A Fixed-Unit Type?
39:00 - Will Leaders Have Voice-Lines?
40:44 - Will Players Be Able To Control Of Supplies?
43:34 - Will Characters All Have Their Own Stories/Personality/Traits?
46:37 - Is There Mod Support Planned?
47:53 - Is Breakdown Epiphanies Going To Work On MENACE OST?
49:10 - Will The Game Be Steamdeck Enabled?
50:33 - Casey Is Back To Writing For MENACE
52:25 - Legless Mode?
52:51 - Will Lindwurms Come Back?
53:34 - Alpha/Best Tests? Can We Apply?
54:58 - Wrap-Up with Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I think women soldiers make more sense with the addition of power armor, that way their lower physical strength etc.. is compensated for...in reality if it actually existed you might get better results making all women squads instead of mixed squads. That being said, the addition of power assisted armor makes women front line soldiers less of an issue to me...

Beowulf

Arcane
Sweet baby jesus, this looked so similar to Ground Control, that I assumed it will be real time, instead of turn based :hearnoevil:

Beowulf

Arcane
Poor argument - that'd mean that the machine guns should also have their range proportionally reduced to a pathetic distance, and the debris wouldn't fly that far, and vehicles we see in the trailer would need to be built with sturdier suspension, and those soldiers would need heavy exoskeletons and ...
Just don't let realism get in the way of fun and balance too much.

They could also implement artillery as an off-map asset.

Takamori

Learned
Poor argument - that'd mean that the machine guns should also have their range proportionally reduced to a pathetic distance, and the debris wouldn't fly that far, and vehicles we see in the trailer would need to be built with sturdier suspension, and those soldiers would need heavy exoskeletons and ...
Just don't let realism get in the way of fun and balance too much.

They could also implement artillery as an off-map asset.
A good way to do this is to establish a fictional measure, so yeah its just a guidelines for the devs to balance something and the players avoid having an autistic breakdown because X thing is not accurately represented in game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is it to late to change the project into Battle Brothers 2? Just kidding, this might turn out to be very good. However i WILL be pissed off if their 3rd game won't be BB2 or a BB-like. With more interesting world building and more options outside of combat.

PanteraNera

Arcane

Overhype_JaysenToday at 9:37 AM

Great to see you all speculate a bit more on the game : ) We will try and increase the cadence of putting out new vidoes and infos
For design purposes we use APC as a vehicle whose primary purpose is a battle taxi, it will deliver troops quickly to the battlefield but its main role is not combat. We say IFV for a vehicle that can stay in contact and actually deliver decent fire and combat power. I know it is not "correct" this way, but it helps with the design ; )
And buildings and cover are destructible, rock formations and other environments as well.
Also, there will be offmap artillery and abilities as well
Overhype_JaysenToday at 10:43 AM
We do play lots of realistic military games so we do have quite an understanding on those topics. However, when getting into definitions and details I still will be off with how I use certain terms

agris

Arcane
Patron
one thing that gets me is that, for a game called "menace", i sure dont see anything menacing

the gameplay footage all looks kinda.. sterile?

PanteraNera

Arcane
one thing that gets me is that, for a game called "menace", i sure dont see anything menacing

the gameplay footage all looks kinda.. sterile?
How frightening or surprising or shocking is a "menace" if you show it on every trailer before the game even released?

Shaki

Arbiter
Man, gameplay will be probably great and it's still a day 1 purchase for me, but the visual downgrade is massive. I really don't understand obsession of taking trash tier 3D graphics over top tier beautiful 2D, that all indie devs seem to have. They make a beautiful, stylish game with great art design, then the moment they get any money they're like FUCK YEAH NOW WE CAN DITCH ALL THAT CRAP AND SPEND 5x MORE TO MAKE OUR NEXT GAME LOOK LIKE SHIT.

3D needs A LOT of money to look good - if you don't have it, just fucking stay 2D....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom