Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
3d never looked good

Zanzoken

Arcane
Okay, I'm just gonna say it... this looks generic as fuck and I think it's going to flop hard. And I say that as someone who loves and has played hundreds of hours of Battle Bros.

Not saying they needed to just do BB2 but I don't understand the appeal of this game. It's such a weird departure from what got them their initial success.

If the game ends up being great then I'll be happy to be proven wrong and eat these words. But I just can't get excited about another sort-of X-Com clone.

Üstad

Arcane
Okay, I'm just gonna say it... this looks generic as fuck and I think it's going to flop hard. And I say that as someone who loves and has played hundreds of hours of Battle Bros.

Not saying they needed to just do BB2 but I don't understand the appeal of this game. It's such a weird departure from what got them their initial success.

If the game ends up being great then I'll be happy to be proven wrong and eat these words. But I just can't get excited about another sort-of X-Com clone.
I think looks will never be good feature of games released by those devs, battle brothers didn't look good on surface either, it's just people tolerate it because it's not 3d or tries to look good.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, it looks great and is going to be a banger. 3D allows for more freedom and this is its main appeal. With 2D you are effectively dependent on one or two artists to make any visual change.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We've had exactly one X-COM clone ever and it was called Xenonauts and it was pretty good. I'd like another. Not that this looks anything like an X-COM clone. Still looks more like a wargame to me than anything else.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Not everyone is prestigious enough to play games with legless torso blobs.

Switching to 3D will draw in more of the normie audience. I hope they succeed, because BB was great and the devs deserve mainstream acclaim and moneys.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We've had exactly one X-COM clone ever and it was called Xenonauts and it was pretty good. I'd like another. Not that this looks anything like an X-COM clone. Still looks more like a wargame to me than anything else.
Getting more 4X vibes than X-com.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
Not everyone is prestigious enough to play games with legless torso blobs.

Switching to 3D will draw in more of the normie audience. I hope they succeed, because BB was great and the devs deserve mainstream acclaim and moneys.
BB already succeeded, they have nearly 19k reviews on steam, that's absolutely massive for a small indie studio with a 2d game.

To compare, Age of Decadence sits at 3k reviews, Underrail at 5k. Even 3d normie focused Wasteland 3 has just 14k. And they're all more classic RPGs, which usually get bigger audience than pure tacticools. Phoenix Point for example hit 4k, Jagged Alliance 3 and Troubleshooter are both around 7k, Into the Breach which was one of this biggest tactical hits in normie crowds, sits at 15k.

I actually can't think of any tacticool other than nuXCOMs, that ever did better than BB. It was a massive success, and especially with 3 paid DLCs they made, I'm 100% sure they already made bank.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
I am not even talking about the switch to 3D necessarily. I mean the overall pitch and presentation of whatever this game is trying to be. It just looks extremely generic and uninspired.

I realize it's not 100% an X-Com clone which is why I included the qualifier "sort of". But it's military dudes fighting aliens in turn-based combat, which is close enough. And I just don't see anything about this that gets me excited.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Watch the teaser trailer for MENACE – revealing new unit capabilities and teasing the Snow Biome, one of 3 confirmed biomes in the game. MENACE is a turn-based tactical RPG set in an isolated system where a strange new threat has begun to emerge.

Üstad

Arcane
I am not even talking about the switch to 3D necessarily. I mean the overall pitch and presentation of whatever this game is trying to be. It just looks extremely generic and uninspired.

I realize it's not 100% an X-Com clone which is why I included the qualifier "sort of". But it's military dudes fighting aliens in turn-based combat, which is close enough. And I just don't see anything about this that gets me excited.
It looks more like a war game actually but I get what you mean.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How this game looks or what the theme is is irrelevant - Battle Bros was ugly colorforms in an incredibly generic fantasy setting, a masterpiece with a crappy cover. Either way, the cover doesn't matter here either. The question is whether the magical "pop" of their first game was due to brilliant gameplay design talent ... or a lightning strike. To mix a metaphor.

Shaki

Arbiter
How this game looks or what the theme is is irrelevant - Battle Bros was ugly colorforms in an incredibly generic fantasy setting, a masterpiece with a crappy cover. Either way, the cover doesn't matter here either. The question is whether the magical "pop" of their first game was due to brilliant gameplay design talent ... or a lightning strike. To mix a metaphor.
BB looked great, especially monsters and equipment, a lot of armor/weapon art is absolutely gorgeous, and character models also look pretty good. Also it had amazing sound design, which worked perfectly with the visuals, I can't think of any other game where combat felt so "meaty", visceral and satisfying, purely in terms of audio/visual feedback, effect of hits, crits, showing damage on combatants, etc.

The game was great in terms of aesthetics, with sound, visuals and writing blending together perfectly to elevate the gameplay. I don't think it would be even half as popular, if you'd replace the art it has with shitty uninspired 3d models, same if you'd remove the amazing writing or sound design. It'd destroy the atmosphere and remove the magic.

agris

Arcane
Patron
completely disagree. BB has a distinctive aesthetic that is charming, evocative of the setting, and not at all generic or cheap looking

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shaki agris I stand corrected. Personally I never felt the art was the reason BB was good, it's definitely not what I think of at all when I think of that game. But I guess opinions vary widely.

For me, the proof of MENACE will still be in how it plays. I'm not disappointed in the looks because I had no expectations in that regard. (It doesn't look especially bad to me, I kind of like the vibe. And looking at that teaser trailer again the sound is pretty cool imo.)

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Shaki agris I stand corrected. Personally I never felt the art was the reason BB was good, it's definitely not what I think of at all when I think of that game. But I guess opinions vary widely.

For me, the proof of this game will still be in how it plays. I'm not disappointed in the looks because I had no expectations in that regard. (It doesn't look especially bad to me, I kind of like the vibe. And looking at that teaser trailer again the sound is pretty cool imo.)
that's cool, of course people's opinions differ. AND we're talking about art, the interpretation and judgment will always be subjective.

i hope it's good, but here's a good example of what i'm talking about with the 'lack of menacing vibe' and sterile presentation.

compare the shot of troops deploying in the cutscene vs in-game. of course cutscene is cgi, but the vibe is totally different. it looks menacing through the lighting and fog, whereas the actual gameplay has none of that vibe. the assets in the cgi portion are also distressed, the walls and ground are dirty, it looks... menacing

maybe they're selective about when they turn it on, and i hope for a good game too, but that's what stood out to me.

9fElB47.jpg

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Those are two completely different locations. It can't be all menacing all the time, that would be awful.

Harthwain

Magister
It is just me or the guy at 0:12 looks awfully lot like Imperial Guardsman from WH40K operating a Basilisk?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
What about Phoenix Point?
I meant UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense (1994).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom