Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Modron

Arcane
Of less interest to most people around here, Blue Chicago Blues has finally gotten a translation on a platform that isn't the LaserActive. This game's of note thanks to the JB Harold series massive popularity in Japan and being a game with FMV entirely in English, yet the rest of it in Japanese.
I was wondering why some of that series showed up in mobygames most researched games a few weeks back.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Some interesting games got translated this week.
Firstly, we have Addie no Okurimono, a Japanese adventure/word puzzle game that's set around the 9th birthday of a girl. Seems like a very sweet coming-of-age story for children, it's sad that it'll be mostly played by creepy weebs. Has a weird voice system, each character has their own musical instrument for a "voice". It was fun and very well presented from the short amount of time I played it. There does seem to be some question as to the quality of the translation, judging by how the translator whines that even some Japanese complain about the size of the text.

There are some translations of some PC-98 games, but sadly most of these are just using already existing translations of later Windows ports. Of interest, there's Dragon Knight 2, which I don't think has been translated before. Otherwise you get Fatal Relations and Love Potion, this time with PC-98 music.

Weirdly, this isn't the end of questionable translations, there's a translation of Silhouette Mirage for the Saturn...using the Working Designs translation for the PSX version. A GBA port of Chocobo Land, which was machine translated. And Trizeal, a Dreamcast shmup that seems to have been easy translation fodder, doesn't seem like it has a story or much of anything beyond gameplay.

Finally, there's Tripuzz, a Japanese puzzle game in the Columns/Tetris style of puzzle games. Not really sure why this one needed to be translated, but it's there for all you fans of the genre.

Kuruwin

Novice
I guess it ain't story focused so it's probably not big deal, but from what i've heard it's machine translated (Dragon Knight 2)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I guess it ain't story focused so it's probably not big deal, but from what i've heard it's machine translated (Dragon Knight 2)
Some of the machine translated games are ok, especially when somebody went over those translations manually and corrected some of the weird phrasing.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Is Sakura Wars 2 still in the works? On my word, these tweets from translation groups are so autistic that it is impossible to conclude anything from them.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Hmmmm… anime about programming on the pc-98? Well well well…

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
One important note: Dead of the Brain 1 was already translated long ago, although IIRC the translation was faulty. DotB 2 though IS NOT translated, not even this edition, which is a bloody shame, as it was a braindead option for the devs to translate the second game, but no dice so far.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
One important note: Dead of the Brain 1 was already translated long ago, although IIRC the translation was faulty. DotB 2 though IS NOT translated, not even this edition, which is a bloody shame, as it was a braindead option for the devs to translate the second game, but no dice so far.
Wait, the second game isn't translated in the PC Engine one? Damn. The problem with the original translation of DotB1 was that it was made by some dude using machine translation, and quite obviously too. When this came crashing down on him, he whined like a bitch despite raking in some money from this whole venture.
Which PC-98 emulator should i use to play these games?
The answer to most questions regarding Japanese computer emulators is to just get the Neo Kobe Emulator Pack, as everything is nice and pre-configured. Well, I guess outside of Mac emulation or MSX emulation if you're on Linux, but that's irrelevant here.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wait, the second game isn't translated in the PC Engine one? Damn. The problem with the original translation of DotB1 was that it was made by some dude using machine translation, and quite obviously too. When this came crashing down on him, he whined like a bitch despite raking in some money from this whole venture.
DotB has been re-translated: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7088/

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Innocent-Until-Caught.gif

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Of interest, there's Dragon Knight 2, which I don't think has been translated before.
Nice, I always wanted to play that, since it's both a dungeon crawler and came before Dragon Knight 3 (aka Knights of Xentar and more of a classic jRPG) which got a PC release and which I played as a kid (lol)
Same! I was just this past weekend finishing up my PC-88, PC-98, FM Towns etc. libraries on my Steam Deck and got all of the Dragon Knight games for each system they were released on, but I somehow missed this. That is such great news!

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Apologize for displaying my ignorance, but could anybody possibly help me with patching the Dragon Knight II game?

I downloaded the translation patch and extracted it, and the copy of the game I have available is the one from the Neo Kobe collection, but I seem incapable of figuring out how to actually patch it and the error message I got seems to indicate that my rom is not compatible?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Patching? Ain't got time for that shit.
Here,download a fully patched hdi file from here:
https://archive.org/details/En-ROMs
Thanks; I actually had it in my mind that the Dragon Knight II translation was a re-translation, and was uncertain whether or not the pre-patched versions available on the archive were this recent one, but it seems I confused myself.

Thank you for the link, I have that page saved as a favorite on my laptop but lately have been focusing on completing my Steam Deck setup and totally forgot about it.

By the way your packs from the emulation thread once again gave me a nice base to build on for multiple systems, so thank you very much for sharing them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom