Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion Q&A at RPGamer

Redcoat-Mic

Novice
How can you understand sarcasm in text?

truekaiser

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Minotaur fix -- 5 minutes. Next? And why can't we use "aggro." You know, most game developers got into the business because they're -- gasp -- gamers. I know, big shock. And what's wrong with having a unicorn in the game? It's a mythical creature -- should we also not have trolls, goblins, ogres, and minotaurs, because they "dumb down" the game for the console kiddies, too?

And no, the game is not being rushed for anything. It'll be released when it's ready.

carefull you will make that 600 pound gorillia behind you angry. it won't like it when one of it's piller release games is not on the shelf for it's console.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Why is the smiley on the right drinking? The one on the left has a beer as well.

EDITED FOR CONTENT

Selenti

Liturgist
Chefe said:
Claw said:
Sure, some gamers are also imbeciles. But not all imbeciles are gamers, and aggro isn't gamer lingo, it's idiot talk.

Bingo, amigo.

A little history of aggro: it was first used by surfers to describe other surfers who were overly aggressive in the water. When surfing became "cool" the word was adopted by suburban middle schoolers. Ultimately, the word found its way into MMO's where it is still used by idiots today. Sometimes, aggro is classified as "leet speak". The word is generally only used by non-idiots when they're making fun of the idiots who use it.

The more you know.

Sorry, no, I see it used all the time in MMORPGs by very intelligent people.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Geezus christ you young twats; yes the term "aggro" is used in a MMORPG context. And its usage has nothing to do with idiocy of the user. But what if the user, who I assume is a bit older, was using it in its non-geek form.

Fucking hell, I'm in my mid-thirties and throughout most of my life I have heard the term "aggro" used by all and sundry as a stand-in for the word "aggressive" by plenty of people from all walks of life (from ancient to young irrespective of background) who have had no contact with either surfers, MMORPG geeks (my usage predates the first mmorpg by decades), or try-hard twats that may have picked it up at "middleschool". They are using it in its adjective ("aggressive") or noun ("aggressiveness") form, not its verb form; and when I read it above I assumed that wotshisface was meaning the former, i.e. reducing the minotaur's aggressiveness.

But I live in an alternate reality known as Kiwi-land. SO I suspect I'm on my own there...

But idiocy because they decided to use the term?
You fuck-knuckles are getting ridiculous.

Section8

Cipher
Here's what Agro means, in the context of my childhood.

t98.jpg

The little furry guy in the middle? He's called Agro, and he's fucking cool, because he's attached to a dirty old man who sits under a table, touching up either one of the blondes with his free arm. Childrens' TV was so much better in my day.

Drakron

Arcane
Shagnak said:
Geezus christ you young twats; yes the term "aggro" is used in a MMORPG context. And its usage has nothing to do with idiocy of the user. But what if the user, who I assume is a bit older, was using it in its non-geek form.

Its like gay, it meant something else many years ... heck even gay=homosexual connection is vanishing when more and more people say "the gameplay is so gay".

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
CARTOON CONNECTION!

That show was cool. Two women and a hand puppet. Who can't beat that kind of entertainment?

Deathy

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
CARTOON CONNECTION!

That show was cool. Two women and a hand puppet. Who can't beat that kind of entertainment?

I was still a kid when they canned it. I cried.

Agro is my fucking hero, man.

Shadow Aspect

Novice
Drakron said:
Shagnak said:

Its like gay, it meant something else many years ... heck even gay=homosexual connection is vanishing when more and more people say "the gameplay is so gay".
In this case I don't think it's so much time passing as cultural differences, I'm from the UK, I don't hear it so much any more, but I remember aggro being used in the way Shagnak describes. Just someone giving you grief might be described as 'causing aggro'. Abbreviated from 'to aggravate'/'aggravation'. It's been around longer than popular mmo's.

Section8

Cipher

I saw a movie once, where the protagonist would stop at nothing in his attempt to turn his female companions into hand puppets. At least I think that was what he was up to.*

* Please someone, make the obvious joke about elbows

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Deathy said:
DarkUnderlord said:
CARTOON CONNECTION!

I was still a kid when they canned it. I cried.

Agro is my fucking hero, man.
I was much more interested in the girls.

ij--HollyBrisley-IZ185-FHMOzJan2000-1.jpg

One Wolf

Scholar
there has been some mention in this thread of leet speak.

i will now proceed to blow your minds.

# Yo yo yo! S'up d00d?
# Ch3ck th4t! Sum b!tchez.
# U c w4t i c?
# D4mn mu+ti3s dr0p cr4p lewt.
# w3 w!lL roXxoR yo pvnk azz!
# H3 wuz so 0wnd.
# ch3ck th4t p0z3r d00d!
# g3wd. h3's my b!tch, maN!
# ****in g4y cus+0mes, Broth3rh00dz b!tchez.
# Yah, lik r3alLy b4d dr0p5 f0R +h3m.
# So like i pk'd him & campd h1z b0dy 5xs m4n.
# Hehe. G00dztuff. H3 dr0p 4ny+hinG g00d?
# h3y, like wtf's wif h1m, m4n?
# H3's sc4r3d oF Us, d00d.
# Gimm3 ur stuff, Br0+h3rh0oD p0z3rz!
# Nah, th3y l00k lik3 th37 goT l3g-up g34r.
# +hat wuz ~k3wl.
# Yah, wtf wuz tH4T s+oop1d oR wu+?
# ch3ck th4t p0z3r d00d!
# ****in g4y cus+0mes, Broth3rh00dz b!tchez.
# So like i pk'd him & campd h1z b0dy 5xs m4n.
# h3y, like wtf's wif h1m, m4n?
# Gimm3 ur stuff, Br0+h3rh0oD p0z3rz!
# +hat wuz ~k3wl.
# Yo yo yo! S'up d00d?
# Nuthin much, Ph4tman.
# Ch3ck th4t! Sum b!tchez.
# Yo, b4be! N!ce azz!
# U c w4t i c?
# i c sum 1 l00kin fer a kewl d4ddy!
# D4mn mu+ti3s dr0p cr4p lewt.
# m4n! 1 t0ld u to c4mp Gh00lL0Rd!
# w3 w!lL roXxoR yo pvnk azz!
# Yah, d4mn r1ght, b1o+ch!
# H3 wuz so 0wnd.
# Heh. Yah. Ownd m4n!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom