Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion Q&A at RPGamer

Chefe

Erudite
I'll see your minotaur picture, and raise you this.

unicorn.gif

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Harping about a unicorn in an RPG is one of the more infantile complaints I've heard about the game. It's a horse with a horn on its head, not My Little Pony. We've got minotaurs and other mythical beasts -- why not a unicorn?
You can ride them, can't you? And they're the fastest "horse" in the game, aren't they?

Can you cut off their horns and make magic potions?

There are "wild" horses as well as domestic ridable ones (you can't ride the "wild" ones). The unicorn (and there is only one, it's part of a quest) is a "wild" horse. No, you can't ride it. You'll have to play the quest to find it and find out what you can do with it.

It is literally a white horse with a horn.

Section8

Cipher
Fuck, this is going to be hard. It took about 50 pages of googling to find one picture of a unicorn that didn't cause my body to suddenly ramp up estrogen production, and you expect me to raise you another? Very well.

Ah fuck it <a href="http://www.sweb.cz/bohdan.vanek/4.%20Lakarie%20(5.-8.9.2001)/Unicorn.jpg">you win</a>.

However, along my odyssey of unicorn discovery, I learned some interesting things. For one, Minotaurs are less likely to be ridden by <a href="http://www.hexina.de/images/Boris%20Vallejo%20-%20Erotic%20Fantasy%20-%20Black%20Unicorn%20(1995)1.JPG">horny,scantilly clad women</a> (no really). I also learned that Christopher Lee fucking loves unicorns even more than he likes orcs and shit.

But seriously, why not have unicorns? I mean wizards, skeletons, lizardmen, cat people, slaves, platemail, Daedra, booksellers, bards, elves, and anything else in Oblivion is gay if you want it to be.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Nah. Just found it amongst some googlings.

Wow, the book was published in 1607! Goes to show Unicorns are NOT some modern post-Tolkien fantasy concoction at all. In fact, they are a SERIOUS mythological creature, pre-dating by THREE CENTURIES modern Western fantasy literature. They're more hardcore than any Elves or Orcs or whatever.

So Chefe - shut the hell up about the Unicorns already. If Unicorns are ghey and barbie, then you might as well throw the same tantrum about Kraken.

Drakron

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Goes to show Unicorns are NOT some modern post-Tolkien fantasy concoction at all. In fact, they are a SERIOUS mythological creature, pre-dating by THREE CENTURIES modern Western fantasy literature.

They are far older.

Also MSFD its not a "horse with a horn", the unicorn also have a billy goat beard, a lion tail and cloven hoofs besides the horn ... I do hope who ever created the unicorn model done more that just load the horse model and added a horn to it.

The unicorn horn was said it had the property no neutralize all poisons so Narwhal horns were sold as unicorn horns.

Chefe

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Perhaps predictably, it takes an olde-worlde illustration for a unicorn to be depicted in a non-ghey, non modern-teen-hormone-fantasy manner:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8798/unicorn1400vh.jpg

From "Topsell's The History of Four-footed Beasts and Serpents":

http://info.lib.uh.edu/sca/digital/beast/toc.html

Okay, I stand corrected, not all unicorns are shit. However, that was drawn quite a while ago. Unicorns are different today. If Bethy's unicorn looked like that... hey... that'd be pretty sweet actually.

Most likely, however, it's going with the modern girly-fantasy conception and not some cool medieval shit like Topsell.

M568.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
... you'll complain about ANYTHING, won't you Drakron? :D

Well I think you are bothering to create a expecific mesh you sould at least do make it diferent from the rest, besides you said that a unicorn is just a horse with a horn as its not true, there are features besides the horn to set him apart from a horse.

What I am curious is dragons since they sould be present in that area in somewhat high numbers and how the world treats dragons.

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Nah. Just found it amongst some googlings.

Wow, the book was published in 1607! Goes to show Unicorns are NOT some modern post-Tolkien fantasy concoction at all. In fact, they are a SERIOUS mythological creature, pre-dating by THREE CENTURIES modern Western fantasy literature. They're more hardcore than any Elves or Orcs or whatever.

So Chefe - shut the hell up about the Unicorns already. If Unicorns are ghey and barbie, then you might as well throw the same tantrum about Kraken.

Well, who didn't know that?

They are still gay, though...ffs they will come up to a virgin and nuzzle her and go for a ride.

That is not modern either.

Mech

Cipher
bryce777 said:
They are still gay, though...ffs they will come up to a virgin and nuzzle her and go for a ride.

That is not modern either.

Raping a virgin doesn't sound very "gay" to me, not at all.

Section8

Cipher

Sounds like a good night to me. But of course, gay is such a wonderfully versatile word in this day and age.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Me thinks Chefe will get arrested for stealing the new Oblivion promo poster.

Observation: This thread is a lot more disturbing than first suspected.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Just realised it's a Daggerfall box on the horn. Nice work, Chefe!

This is virgin on bad taste.
/runs away

Tintin

Arbiter
*sigh* Only here can insecurity leap such bounds to make itself known....

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Unicorns in Avernum were ugly goat things with foul tempers that eat human flesh, IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom