Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion Q&A at RPGamer

One Wolf

Scholar
that was one the most fucked up things i have ever seen. not to mention the epileptic seizure i had about 3/4s of the way through.

LlamaGod

Cipher
unicorns?

I like how Bethesda cant seem to figure out the setting of Elder Scrolls and instead just takes everything and assjams it together and comes up with a grey slimey stew of a setting thats not interesting or cool.

Micmu

Magister
Tintin said:
Those guys are only one step up from you guys, you know.
Be careful, cute horsies, pets, houses, barby NPCs, ultra-imershun is closer to substituting the reality with a game world.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Those guys are only one step up from you guys, you know.

They're actually pretty funny. They're tongue-in-cheek about it all, and the song isn't all that bad during the outro dancing bit at the end (if you can make it that far).

Tintin

Arbiter
Be careful, cute horsies, pets, houses, barby NPCs, ultra-imershun is closer to substituting the reality with a game world.

wow u r so lolzlz. be proud. hold your head high. powur.

They're actually pretty funny. They're tongue-in-cheek about it all, and the song isn't all that bad during the outro dancing bit at the end (if you can make it that far).

Is that video a joke about LARP, or is it actually people who want to show off they're amazing skills?

Chefe

Erudite
Sad thing is, that video is probably better than the unicorns in Oblivion.

Seriously, I want to know, what fuckhead at bethy said "Hey guys, you know what would really make a cool, mature, sophisticated, and immersive roleplaying experience? UNICORNS!"

That's probably the dumbest fucking fantasy creature I can think of. Faries, or what elite fantasy fuckwits call "faeries", come in a close second. My little sister even thinks unicorns are stupid.

They're good in Barbie games and stories you read to 5 year old girls. But in a a fucking Elder Scrolls game? You've got to be kidding me.

Another stupid decision makes its way across the design board and into the code of the steaming pile of cow dung that calls itself an Elder Scrolls title. Eat shit and die.

Tintin

Arbiter
Chefe said:
Sad thing is, that video is probably better than the unicorns in Oblivion.

Seriously, I want to know, what fuckhead at bethy said "Hey guys, you know what would really make a cool, mature, sophisticated, and immersive roleplaying experience? UNICORNS!"

That's probably the dumbest fucking fantasy creature I can think of. Faries, or what elite fantasy fuckwits call "faeries", come in a close second. My little sister even thinks unicorns are stupid.

They're good in Barbie games and stories you read to 5 year old girls. But in a a fucking Elder Scrolls game? You've got to be kidding me.

Another stupid decision makes its way across the design board and into the code of the steaming pile of cow dung that calls itself an Elder Scrolls title. Eat shit and die.

Personally, I think this hatred of unicorns is just another "insecurity-ew-unicorns-r-gay" thing. I don't see anything wrong with unicorns, they are interesting mythological creatures if you have ever read up anything about them. Just because "Barbie" uses them it's so "ewthatsgay"?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Harping about a unicorn in an RPG is one of the more infantile complaints I've heard about the game. It's a horse with a horn on its head, not My Little Pony. We've got minotaurs and other mythical beasts -- why not a unicorn?

Chefe

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Harping about a unicorn in an RPG is one of the more infantile complaints I've heard about the game. It's a horse with a horn on its head, not My Little Pony. We've got minotaurs and other mythical beasts -- why not a unicorn?

With all due respect, MSFD, there's a difference between an ancient greek creature who, birthed from a female human and a male bull, was a mighty unstoppable beast that could only be bested by the bravest and strongest of heroes.... and a cuddly rainbow-colored horsie who is appealing to little girls.

Surely, you must be able to see the difference between this:
http://tronche.com/graphical-art/boris-vallejo/misc/minotaur.gif

and this:
http://feebulle.free.fr/image_licorne/fairy-unicorn.jpg

(url'd so they don't fuck up the thread)

There's a difference between "other mythical beasts" and "stupid mythical beasts". Faries are mythical creatures, why don't you just replace the trolls with faries? Same thing, right? :roll:

Just because you have other mythical beasts, doesn't mean you have to or should add in every freakin' one, especially the ones that cater to the aforementioned little girls and are completely idiotic and out of place in a world such as the Elder Scrolls (they are not out of place in such as world as Barbie's World). Hey, you've got skills, so why don't you add in a nosepicking skills? It could be great, really. I mean, you've got all those other skils, so why not? The higher your skill goes, the deeper your finger can go and the faster you could pick. Your skill level could also dictate how far you fling the booger, which could cause blindness. Oh wait... no thrown weapons. Well shoot, you get the point.

Just beacuse some idea exists and it's remotely related to the topic of the game doesn't mean you have to or should add it in (a lesson more devs should learn).

Tintin

Arbiter
and a cuddly rainbow-colored horsie who is appealing to little girls.

Only to your insecure little self. Unicorns have just as much mythological relevance and interesting history as the minotaurs do, but you have replaced all that with "and a cuddly rainbow-colored horsie who is appealing to little girls" because you watch too much Disney.

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Wrong anwer.

Right anwer:

Unicorns were referenced in The Elders Scrolls before, such as in "King Edward" books and in a quest in Daggerfall so any complaint about unicorns being in the game is as absurd as complaints about any creature that was referenced in lore before.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
You can ride them, can't you? And they're the fastest "horse" in the game, aren't they?

Can you cut off their horns and make magic potions?

Chefe

Erudite
Tintin said:
Only to your insecure little self. Unicorns have just as much mythological relevance and interesting history as the minotaurs do, but you have replaced all that with "and a cuddly rainbow-colored horsie who is appealing to little girls" because you watch too much Disney.

unicorn800x6000397tk.jpg

Giddyup.

Section8

Cipher
Look on the plus side, if the game has faggy shit like unicorns, you can kill it while wearing your supertuff daedric armor and be a real man.

Besides, here's a unicorn that would FUCK YOUR SHIT UP and a minotaur that wouldn't

Just quietly, I want this as my avatar:
mino.gif

I'm crying with laughter, and probably still will be in about a day's time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom