Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Returnal - PC Release Imminent

Ivan

Arcane
early 2023

One less reason to own a PS5. That brings it down to... 0.

Returnal is great, though. Not Housemarque's best game (that would be Nex Machina), but they deserve success.

ADL

Prophet
After this it's only Demon's Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Ghost of Sushi and Gravity Rush 2 that I want. Everything else I'll emulate or can live without.

After this it's only Demon's Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Ghost of Sushi and Gravity Rush 2 that I want. Everything else I'll emulate or can live without.
DS Remake is worse than the original with some truly botched art direction including a much worse UI. Better to play the original game emulated on RPCS3 at 4k/60fps.

Bloodborne is great, but you can probably play it on PS Now or some shit without too much lost. Ghost of Tsushima is probably one of the better ubishit style open world games but it's still an ubishit style open world game, so completely irrelevant.

I've had a PS5 since launch and it's hilarious how little I've used it. Probably my worst purchase of the last 5 years.

Ash

Arcane
Returnal is great, though. Not Housemarque's best game (that would be Nex Machina), but they deserve success.
Sneaking suspicion none of you played Dead Nation! Absolutely solid couch co-op game.

DS Remake is worse than the original with some truly botched art direction including a much worse UI. Better to play the original game emulated on RPCS3 at 4k/60fps.

Bloodborne is great, but you can probably play it on PS Now or some shit without too much lost. Ghost of Tsushima is probably one of the better ubishit style open world games but it's still an ubishit style open world game, so completely irrelevant.

I've had a PS5 since launch and it's hilarious how little I've used it. Probably my worst purchase of the last 5 years.
Agreed with all except Bloodborne. It's the worst Souls game. Meaning it is still good, but I absolutely do not consider it great.

Sneaking suspicion none of you played Dead Nation! Absolutely solid couch co-op game.
I have indeed played Dead Nation quite a bit (albeit solo), but I don't consider it to be on par with other Housemarque games like Nex Machina or even Resogun. It's fun enough, but 30fps and very mechanically simple.

Nex Machina is the peak of their arcade score-centric design philosophy, and they even got Eugene Jarvis (the original designer of Robotron 2084 and Smash TV, so pretty much the forerunner of what is now known as 'twin stick shooters') to design it. It's absolutely brilliant, and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you're into that sort of game at all.

orcinator

Liturgist
It's very good. Not as good as Nex Machina, but then again, nothing is. It's a definite cut above popamole roguelikes, at least when I played it (on release, pre-nerf).
Fabulously optimistic due to what I heard about Nex Machina but cautious given the roguelike aspect.
If it has metaprogression I'm telling Putler to launch the nukes.
Guess I'll have to find the answer myself in 2023.

I haven't played the game in a long time. I've heard that they've nerfed a lot of things, it used to be quite difficult. However, obviously it'll be much easier on PC regardless because of monocled mouse and keyboard aiming.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I looked at the OP's post after it got bumped today with the image from the YT trailer (I don't dare click on it) and all I can say is: bring back the busty, bouncy, beautiful bitches in video games! Haven't we suffered enough? I heard Jodie Comer is doing a new video game that might be rotoscoped. Maybe she'll get her bubbies and bottom out.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Agreed with all except Bloodborne. It's the worst Souls game. Meaning it is still good, but I absolutely do not consider it great.
My least favorite is Sekiro, but Bloodborne gives it a run for its money. Really wish they had made their games after Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 and 2 in a vacuum, rather than letting the popularity and the whole "git gud" crowd influence the design. They made the enemies faster, gave them much more stamina and threw a bunch of buffs against the player in order to satisfy that crowd, without improving things like the camera and lock-on system. I did not play Elden Ring yet, because it looks creatively lazy, Dark Souls IV. How many more times can people play that gloomy European medieval fantasy setting? Waiting until it's super cheap.

Would add to Great Deceiver's post that Gravity Rush 2 is mediocre. Added a bunch of not fun abilities to the formula that the original game was better without, added much more forced stealth segments to game design that isn't that suited to stealth, and was just more tedious overall.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Thats the problem with the whole "chain bikini" argument, yes having a attractive female character in skimpy clothing is not realistic and everyone knows its not realistic. But neither is having a woman being a superior warrior to a man.
if you look at historical armor, most of these arguments are horseshit
"nooooo boobplate is stupid!!!!!!!"
lw0DpPH.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
I just think it's funny that Sony launched their new console without the Atmos license, because they expect people to use headphones with their 3D audio engine (Tempest), and now it's coming to computers with Atmos. Thought Atmos was pretty much dead on PC. Probably still dying.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
I appreciate the Atmos support as one of the handful of weirdos that uses it on PC. RAMlets just need to grab another 16GB for $50 and accept the fact that the current generation of consoles have 16-20GB shared (with low level optimizations) so 32GB is a inevitability.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
RAMlets just need to grab another 16GB for $50 and accept the fact that the current generation of consoles have 16-20GB shared (with low level optimizations) so 32GB is a inevitability.
I don't think it is. It just first game made in unoptimzed UE5. UE5.1 brought more to memory optimization.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has anyone tried this yet? It was a PS5 exclusive that's releasing on PC on the 14th or 15th and was one of the few games I actually wanted on the current gen consoles.

A roguelike FPS with bullet hell shooter gameplay and a sci fi horror setting. Hook me up! :bounce:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Next time you could try using "Search titles only", often it can yield matches that are missed by general search.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom