Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Returnal - PC Release Imminent

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I tend to just search RPGcodex forum [subject] on google for best results.

Hope this helps.

But talking of Returnal, it seems like a pretty solid okay game. I swear they used the same actor who played Briean or whoever from game of thrones, but IIRC, they used someone else.

The audio design in this game really is fantastic. It's so impactful and oppressive that it conveyed the feeling of imminent death when I was playing one session with headphones while I had the coof in 2021. It made me stop playing altogether and I haven't booted it up ever since.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I'm waiting for them to patch out the middle aged butch lesbian.

Yeah, I get super upset every time I think about how Samus is a woman inside her power armour too.

I swear they used the same actor who played Briean or whoever from game of thrones, but IIRC, they used someone else.

Yeah, not a looker whoever it is if it's actually meant to look like a real person.

ADL

Prophet
I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 setup hooked up to my PC so I really appreciate the effort they're putting into the audio. The amount of games that support Atmos is slowly increasing but this is definitely the best game to do it so far. Anyone play through Ascension? I only did the base game on a friend's PS5.
https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/

ferratilis

Magister

- Returnal on PC receives numerous visual improvements over PS5.

- On PC, we get better textures, particles, post-processing effects, lighting and shadows.

- After testing the title with 16GB DDR4 (Housemarque recommends 32GB), the result is satisfactory. I would only recommend those 32GB of ram if we intend to play at maximum, 4K and Ray-Tracing.

- The PC version adds Ray-Tracing for some shadows and reflections. This option also adds extra puddles that are not present if we disable RT.

- On Steam Deck its performance is insufficient. With all settings on low, the framerate drops below 30fps during combat. I would not recommend playing it on this platform.

- If using a Gamepad, this game is perfect for advanced controllers like the Xbox Elite Controller.

- Returnal is the game with more differences and visual improvements of all Playstation Studios games on PC with respect to PS5. A great title that no one should miss if you like Roguelite.
EDIT: but keep in mind, there are reports of microstutter, so it might be worth waiting for a bit before getting this game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
EDIT: but keep in mind, there are reports of microstutter, so it might be worth waiting for a bit before getting this game.
Any idea if those reports are also on SSD or just HDD? Mostly wondering because, for instance, some people were complaining about those sorts of issues in Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, but they seemed to be related to insufficient transfer speeds from HDD.

ferratilis

Magister
Any idea if those reports are also on SSD or just HDD? Mostly wondering because, for instance, some people were complaining about those sorts of issues in Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, but they seemed to be related to insufficient transfer speeds from HDD.
Stuttering seems to be related to Unreal Engine 4 shader compilation, which has been plaguing PC ports for a while now. For example, I had huge problems with Elden Ring on release, and it was installed on a 1TB nvme SSD. After a few months I tried it again and there was no stutter. Guess it was solved through AMD drivers. So it's probably not related to storage.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Stuttering seems to be related to Unreal Engine 4 shader compilation, which has been plaguing PC ports for a while now. For example, I had huge problems with Elden Ring on release, and it was installed on a 1TB nvme SSD. After a few months I tried it again and there was no stutter. Guess it was solved through AMD drivers. So it's probably not related to storage.
Oh I see. I didn't have any significant issues with either CP or ER, so good to know. I'm also running an NVidia card though, so maybe it has been a driver issue. I guess I'll find out later on.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but if you wanted some review impressions...

EDIT: He talks about the microstutter as well, apparently it hit even with top of the line NVidia cards, SSD, and 64GB of RAM, so hopefully a patch or driver update will fix it later on.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Steam Deck is looking more and more like a worthless piece of crap every day. It can't play old games and it can barely handle newer games. Wtf is it good for?
turn based games

Fargus

Arcane
Steam Deck is looking more and more like a worthless piece of crap every day. It can't play old games and it can barely handle newer games. Wtf is it good for?

You can use steam deck as a cutting board if you don't have one at the moment. Or you can throw it at someone to knock them out.

Oropay

Educated
Seems like the game has traversal / streaming stutter. Fucking UE4, man

Edit:
Drivers cannot solve shader compilation stutter. In your case with Elden Ring, likely a lot of the shaders were compiled during your first attempt, and if you didn't update the Radeon driver, you'd still have the cached, compiled shaders. Radeon however had substantial stutter in Elden Ring at launch, and some of its performance problems (not shader cache related) could have been solved by later game or driver updates.

Returnal does have a shader precomp step. Possible that the precomp isn't exhaustive, but likely traversal / streaming stutters are the main problem in Returnal. Unfortunately UE4 has horrible streaming stutters. They're basically caused by loading a sector and can be triggered by moving back and forth between sectors or even just looking from one area to another. You can see them in this clip I made of Evil West: https://streamable.com/eigyqj

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
Yeah there is stuttering when running around. Other than that it's a very good port and has the best benchmark I've ever seen, it informs you in real time of what graphical aspects it's testing, and at the end it shows you a bunch of statistics and the limitations of your PC components. I'm using a 3070ti/5600x/32gb ram and performance is good on 1440p/max settings with DLSS quality. Anywhere from 70-120 fps.

Btw the game has Dolby Atmos as an audio option. If you're using headphones you can download the Dolby Access app from Windows store, it comes with a 7 day trial of Atmos for Headphones. I haven't tried it yet but someone on the Steam forum said it sounds better than the PS5 version's spatial audio.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Solution is easy, Forza Horizon games have been doing it for the last two entries: on first launch, or every time you change settings, shaders are compiled from scratch. It results in perfectly smooth gameplay with no stutter. However, that can take up to five minutes and typical modern gamer doesn't have that kind of patience. That's probably why most developers just let shaders compile in the background, with no regard for user experience whatsoever.

Unfortunately, UE5 is going to be even more common this generation. Unless something is done, industry wide, most games will be terrible on launch.

randir14

Augur
Solution is easy, Forza Horizon games have been doing it for the last two entries: on first launch, or every time you change settings, shaders are compiled from scratch. It results in perfectly smooth gameplay with no stutter. However, that can take up to five minutes and typical modern gamer doesn't have that kind of patience. That's probably why most developers just let shaders compile in the background, with no regard for user experience whatsoever.

Unfortunately, UE5 is going to be even more common this generation. Unless something is done, industry wide, most games will be terrible on launch.
The game does compile shaders in the beginning but it still stutters. Especially when moving through doors to new areas.

Modron

Arcane
Separating fools from their money.

ADL

Prophet
Had to disable ray tracing to get rid of the microstutter but it's nearly entirely gone unless I'm loading in new assets for the first time. Previously it was bad enough to almost end my run. This is dumb, the game compiled shaders upon booting it for the first time so is this just asset load? I'm so god damn sick of these stuttering issues in every fucking game. Returnal is installed on a NVMe that is 30% faster than the PS5's. This shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I was feeling like this game was easy until I got to the first boss. Now it's basically like fighting an Elden Ring boss who has bullet hell attacks and multiple lives. And I have no way to heal during it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 setup hooked up to my PC so I really appreciate the effort they're putting into the audio. The amount of games that support Atmos is slowly increasing but this is definitely the best game to do it so far. Anyone play through Ascension? I only did the base game on a friend's PS5.
https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/
I have two height speakers as well and find Atmos a bit gimmicky with only half the recommended speakers above me. Would love to sit under the middle of four, but my back is already against the wall and I couldn't destroy the ceiling of this apartment anyway. They hang from two arms from the wall above me when I sit. It's supposed to be much more three-dimensional when you're surrounded. Then again, I barely listen to Atmos tracks. When there are multiple options in a movie, I almost always choose the older sound mix. I also disable the Atmos speakers when upmixing two-channel surround mixes. But, yeah, nice to see more Atmos games on PC. I thought it was dying, then was surprised by Atmos in Callisto Protocol (a bad game).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom